Red Sox affiliate offers youth jersey to drop Yankees

Gang Green Girl

Love the last line....

LOWELL, Mass. -- A minor league baseball team in Massachusetts has launched a campaign to eliminate the Yankees.

Well, at least in youth baseball leagues across New England.

The Lowell Spinners say if Little League and other youth leagues agree to change the name of their Yankees teams to the Spinners, they'll pay for the new uniforms.

The Spinners are a Class A affiliate of the Red Sox, archrival of the Yankees.

Spinners' general manager Tim Bawmann says children in New England are often devastated when they are assigned to be on a team called the Yankees.

I can understand where they're coming from. A few years ago as a little league coach I was told that the last remaining team name was Red Sox and I was kind of upset because it would mean I'd have to take the year off from volunteering. Luckily they had some Blue Jays Jerseys available so I insisted on those. Not that the kids would get booed for wearing Sox stuff, but being laughed at wouldn't have been much better.

26 to 5?

Boston Sucks.

Wow. Lowell Spinners. HA.

I saw them play many times because I go to a lot of NJ Cardinals games (but they were sold 2 months ago and are now being moved to PA) and let me tell you the Red Sox have nobody down at the Class A level. Nobody. But, then again, all the good one's are up at AA and AAA already.

26 to 5?

Boston Sucks.

Wow. Lowell Spinners. HA.

I saw them play many times because I go to a lot of NJ Cardinals games (but they were sold 2 months ago and are now being moved to PA) and let me tell you the Red Sox have nobody down at the Class A level. Nobody. But, then again, all the good one's are up at AA and AAA already.

Nope. All the good ones were traded away this winter. :cool:

Archived