Patrick Richard & The Disappearing Position

THE BARON

Interesting thought.  Not many pro teams carry a fullback these days, but they can come in handy. Can the economy of using a single roster spot for a stater that can double as a full back spark new consideration for teams in the draft and players in college ???

I can see positions like LB, DE, DT, OG, OT, C possibly developing that skill set AND FB skill set too.

It would add a lot of value to that payers marketability and it would be a great help to an NFL team to have a monster FB for short yardage, goal line, decoy *without* having to use a roster spot for a dedicated FB 

9 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Interesting thought.  Not many pro teams carry a fullback these days, but they can come in handy. Can the economy of using a single roster spot for a stater that can double as a full back spark new consideration for teams in the draft and players in college ???

I can see positions like LB, DE, DT, OG, OT, C possibly developing that skill set AND FB skill set too.

It would add a lot of value to that payers marketability and it would be a great help to an NFL team to have a monster FB for short yardage, goal line, decoy *without* having to use a roster spot for a dedicated FB 

You  have brought up a nuanced interesting topic that requires thought- this was the wrong place to do that.  Here people want to fire Gase after a loss- not exactly intelligent people who understand roster construction.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 3

The big excuse for a while for getting rid of the FB was that the hybrid blocking catching TE was better except for the fact that a lot of TEs suck at blocking (even guys labelled as blocking TEs) and they line up in spots that dictate a play.

Teams like Frisco and I believe Balt use a true FB at times.  A good one certifiably helps the run game.

• Upvote 2

Tony Richardson played awesome for the Jets. 
I hate 3/4 of the NFL GMs, complete morons like Macc. You HAVE to have some kind of idea of what type of system you run & find players accordingly.

Maccs ignoring the Oline & drafting DTs & Safeties was f*cking criminal but it’s the owners not knowing Sh*t from Shinola about football who allow these idiots to screw the god damn team YEAR AFTER YEAR!

Forget Gase & some of your deep hatred for the guy EVERYTHING comes down to Joe Douglas reshaping this roster!

I always liked the FB position.  But unless your FB can catch passes (like a Marcel Reece or Le'Ron McClain), it's just not worth it to carry a FB for the most part.  Those 45 active spots on gameday are precious. 

Offenses are high-powered now, so those few short-yardage plays where you might ordinarily need a FB can be replaced in the playbook by a QB rollout, a play-action/bootleg play, or just a standard pass play rather than running it up the gut.  Conversely, you can also put a TE2/TE3 in the game to handle that FB role in those scenarios.  

If short-yardage plays are the difference between a W and an L for your team with any regularity, your offense probably just sucks, and a FB isn't going to be enough of a difference maker anyways.    

• Upvote 2

This is an extension of the running game conversations we’ve been having around here lately. If more teams start running the ball more, you could see the position survive extinction. 

Me? I’d rather carry a few TE’s, at least one with the ability to be a lead blocker in the short yardage game. I’m hoping Wesco becomes that guy.