PepPep

MOCK DRAFT and FREE AGENCY: PEPPEP PART 2. NO TRADES- FIX THE OLINE!

Haven't done this in a while so I'm going to take another stab. No trades but I'm including some Free Agent moves. 

Key cuts: Tru, Roberts, Winters

Nothing new here. Tru is a waste of a roster spot. Clearing 3 mil and opening up a roster spot is the best we can hope for. Roberts is done and clears 6mil with no cap hit. Winters is an injury waiting to happen and clears nearly 8 mil. 

Key re-signings: Beachum, A.Lewis, D.Thomas, Qvale, Powell, Maulet, Canady, Burgess, Jenkins.

Beachum and Jenkins are the costly ones here. But when you look at it, both will be bargains for the Jets. I think Beachum has indicated that he wants to stay and I could see him agreeing to a short term, 10mil, team friendly deal. WE NEED HIM. Jenkins will not command the same type of money as the top Pass Rushers in FA, yet statistically he has put up close to the same kind of numbers. Good locker room guy, I think he wants to stay here and I think the Jets want him here. This is not to say he will be cheap. But another position the Jets will need to retain and an in house guy. 

I think D.Thomas is a good vet to bring back, on a cheap deal, no guarantees. He knows the offense and will help young WRs in the locker room. Maulet and Canady serve as great depth. Burgess had a breakout year and deserves to be brought back as depth. Powell still has use as a do it all type vet back. Lewis and Qvale should also be brought back for depth. I would even let Lewis compete for the starting spot at LG. Qvale too, be he would be a solid, versatile backup.      

Key guys we let walk: Robby, Poole, Kalil, Hewitt.

I think the Jets part ways with Robby. With a loaded draft class at WR, him asking for 14mil without having shown that kind of production and the Jets already invested in Crowder I think they move on from Robby. Poole is an interesting one. He had a great season but I think he will just cost too much for a slot CB. If the Jets are going to invest big money in a CB it will be in a shutdown CB who plays on the outside. I think G.Williams can find someone in the draft who does a lot of the same things Poole does well in his scheme. Kalil is a no-brainer. Hewitt is another interesting one. I think he will want a considerable raise, borderline starter money. With the amount the Jets have invested in Williamson and Mosley, and Cashman (despite injury) and Burgess both showing they can be a solid backups, Hewitt is kind of odd man out. He will definitely cost more than Burgess to bring back, and before you say cut Williamson and resign Hewitt, think about it like this- you cut Williamson, save 6mil, 4 of that goes to Hewitt, so you save 2 mil. Is Hewitt worth it? If Williamson is healthy, he is a much better player- IMO. You go into next season with Williamson, Mosley, Burgess, Cashman at ILB. Not bad if you ask me. 

Key acquisitions: Bashaud Breeland- CB, Graham Glasgow- OG, Jack Conklin-OT. 

Conklin is the big money acquisition here. The Titans didn't pick up his option so I think he will hit FA.  I think you go after him hard, hopefully teams are scared away by his injury history and he signs here. As far as his injuries, he stayed healthy all season and was healthy towards the end of last season and all through offseason. I think the Jets roll the dice on one of the best OTs in the league. Glasgow was actually an idea from another poster and I absolutely love it. He was not extended by Detroit and I think he may want to see what FA offers. He will not be cheap but the cost will not be astronomical like Scherff or Thuney. And he will immediately solidify the interior. Breeland will probably his FA b/c KC has like zero cap space in 2020. I'm exaggerating. He is a solid outside CB with good size. He has good starting experience and I like him pairing with Bless and G.Williams. He is will not command a ton of money and I think its feasible the Jets are able to get him. 

DRAFT:

Rd. 1: The Top 3 OTs are gone. The top 2 WRs are gone. The Jets are in a position where they go after Higgins/Ruggs or the #4 OT (Becton, A.Jackson) or they go with the top interior lineman Biadasz/Murphey or they go defense and take Fulton or Epenesa. ME- I take Epenesa. The way I look at it, this is a deep draft at O-line and WR. I'm certain that I will get a very good WR prospect in Rd. 2 and Rd. 3. The best value is Epenesa and he takes care of a major position of need. If the draft were to fall differently and Wirfs or Wills fells to us, I would be all over them, but at 11, I doubt it. 

Rd. 2: Well, here's where I take our future LT. Prince Tega Wanogho. Big fan of this kid. He's raw and will need to get stronger for the NFL but he's a fantastic athlete with prototypical size and length. The upside is immense. Beachum probably starts at LT this year but I let Wanogho compete. Hopefully the Jets structure a contract with Beachum where they can cut him loose next year without a huge cap hit. 

Rd. 3: Tyler Johnson- WR. There's going to be a ton of options at WR here but, to me, TJ is the most complete WR probably behind Lamb and Jeudy. He's doesn't have the same ceiling as some of the other WRs still on the board but he has a high floor and will step in and make an impact immediately. I like him a lot as a reliable target for Darnold. 

Rd. 3: Ben Bredeson- G. As solid as it gets at the Guard position. Not sure if he will be available at this point. But if he is, I'm taking him. A.Lewis will compete for the starting spot but he is not the long term answer. Bredeson will compete with push him and will hopefully eventually replace him as the starter.  

Rd. 4: Darnay Holmes- CB: Talented CB best suited for a Nickel CB role. This serves a big need for the Jets after they let Poole walk. Super quick, great coverage skills, elite speed, great athlete. Just a fantastic playmaker at the CB position. Undersized and will need to get stronger. I think G.Williams could work wonders with him in the slot.

Rd. 5: Thought about going after a RB or a developmental C but I'm going back into this pool of WR talent and taking Juan Jennings out of Tenn. Another WR who will step in and contribute right away. Big, strong guy who doesn't go down easy. May not have elite speed but uses his size really well and has proven he can make tough catches. Huge fan of this guy. He had a major uptick in production this year but I think he well still be available in the 5th round b/c of some of his limitations as an athlete and the sheer depth of the WR position in this draft.     

Rd. 6: Donell Stanley-IOL/C. Developmental C/G prospect. Big, big, dude. Experience at both positions. Needs plenty of polish but the tools are def. there. Could learn behind Harrison and maybe serve as depth at C/G if he does well in camp. You never know. A 6th round pick is a good gamble on him.   

How rookies and FAs will impact potential starting lineup. 

O-line: Beachum/Wanogho (LT), Lewis/Bredeson (LG), Harrison/Stanley (C), Glasgow (RG), Conklin (RT)  

CBs: Bless, Breeland, Holmes (slot), Maulet, Canaday, Hairston (backups)

Edge: Jenkins, Epenesa, Basham

WR: T.Johnson, Juan Jennings, V.Smith, Crowder, D.Thomas, B.Berrios (PR)

This draft and FA period is 100% focused on fixing the Offense. However, the Jets need to make smart decisions and bring back some of their own players at positions of need- like Jenkins and let go others like Robby. I also think they need to be able to draft according BPA at a position of NEED. Epenesa is that guy IMO. This is b/c Wirfs, A.Thomas, Wills, Jeudy and Lamb are off the board.  

Regardless of FA acquisitions, if the jets go D line one more goddamned time in Rd1 of the draft, I'm giving up football and taking up needlepoint. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, freestater said:

Regardless of FA acquisitions, if the jets go D line one more goddamned time in Rd1 of the draft, I'm giving up football and taking up needlepoint. 

Ok. But I have them taking a Pass Rusher, not D-line. A massive need and premium position. Epenesa is big but he is more of an Edge than an interior lineman and I think he could be a 3 down player in a G.Williams defense. 

• Like 1

I like your draft and if we get unlucky it could unfold as you have said (Top 3 ots gone and top two wrs gone).

I hope it doesn't go that way but I don't mind what you have done in the draft.

2 hours ago, PepPep said:

Ok. But I have them taking a Pass Rusher, not D-line. A massive need and premium position. Epenesa is big but he is more of an Edge than an interior lineman and I think he could be a 3 down player in a G.Williams defense. 

I don't think it matters anymore at this point. I'd pass on the next reincarnation of Bruce Smith for an offensive player because we have to find out a way to fully evaluate Darnold. 

I think we all agree he's been handed a total offense that is less than conducive for success. We have two more years for evaluation before we have to make a decision to either dump him or commit to him....can we please get him some weapons and protection.

With a top 10 defense that has been flush with premium draft picks for the last decade we need to try the exact opposite. Our "D" is fine,  our "O" is ranked dead last in the NFL. I can't comprehend how anyone can suggest drafting D yet again in the first round.  

18 minutes ago, RobR said:

I don't think it matters anymore at this point. I'd pass on the next reincarnation of Bruce Smith for an offensive player because we have to find out a way to fully evaluate Darnold. 

I think we all agree he's been handed a total offense that is less than conducive for success. We have two more years for evaluation before we have to make a decision to either dump him or commit to him....can we please get him some weapons and protection.

With a top 10 defense that has been flush with premium draft picks for the last decade we need to try the exact opposite. Our "D" is fine,  our "O" is ranked dead last in the NFL. I can't comprehend how anyone can suggest drafting D yet again in the first round.  

So, we sign Conklin, Glasgow and bring back Beachum and Lewis, then draft a LT in Rd. 2 and one of the top OGs and a WR in Rd. 3 but b/c we passed on an offensive player in Rd. 1 for the #2 Pass Rusher in the draft your mind explodes? LOL. 

Look, its fine. I get it. I want the Jets to go offense in Rd. 1 too. I just think its silly to put yourself in a box and limit yourself to O-line or WR regardless of how the board falls.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, PepPep said:

So, we sign Conklin, Glasgow and bring back Beachum and Lewis, then draft a LT in Rd. 2 and one of the top OGs and a WR in Rd. 3 but b/c we passed on an offensive player in Rd. 1 for the #2 Pass Rusher in the draft your mind explodes? LOL. 

Yes it does, when someone tries to get cute and build this offense through free agency and drafts yet another blue chip prospect for our defense in the first round. Do you really think it will be that easy to just sign whoever you want in free agency just because we have the funds?

It doesn't work that way and never has. The only way to rebuild this dumpster fire of an offense is to start drafting players from that side of the ball in the first round. Over and over. Hasn't history taught you anything....LOL.

• Upvote 1

LT could be in this draft and we shouldnt take him.

In this day and age where you basically aren't even allowed to play defense, taking a Defensive player in the first round is in and of itself questionable.

Doing it for the 20th time in a row, that would be unforgivable. 

I think we should keep Poole.  In fact, Beachum, Jenkins and Poole are my 3 priorities to bring back.

What are the 3-4 positions the Jets are hurting at most?  OLine, Edge, CB, WR....?  What do those 3 guys play?

Those are decent/average/good starters or hold-the-fort guys at a minimum.  Bring them back in FA, add a couple of guys like a Glasgow, Scherff, Breeland, or Thuney (if available) and head into the Draft.