Interior OL Thread

kdels62

1 hour ago, RobR said:

Looking forward to it. Maybe throw Cushenberry in there also. 

Cushenberry, Nick Harris, Shane Lemieux, Tyler Biadasz, Thockmorton and Ben Bredeson was where I wanted to start my focus. Also think Wirfs could be a great guard, but why waste a perfectly good tackle.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Cushenberry, Nick Harris, Shane Lemieux, Tyler Biadasz, Thockmorton and Ben Bredeson was where I wanted to start my focus. Also think Wirfs could be a great guard, but why waste a perfectly good tackle.

There's already plenty of Wirfs tape posted and it's easy to find. I'd love to see the rest of those names posted with some game tape. I had a hell of a time with Becton like I posted earlier so it might not be so easy. TBH I haven't looked yet. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, RobR said:

There's already plenty of Wirfs tape posted and it's easy to find. I'd love to see the rest of those names posted with some game tape. I had a hell of a time with Becton like I posted earlier so it might not be so easy. TBH I haven't looked yet. 

I’ve watched a few Harris and Lemieux games. I don’t wanna come to a conclusion before watching some more but Harris is super intriguing.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

I don’t wanna come to a conclusion before watching some more but Harris is super intriguing.

Post up some vids....it's draft season now. Senior Bowl practices start in just over a week.

These are my favorite videos I’ve watched on Nick Harris. He’s my guy. He’s our next Hall of Fame Center. I might be overstating a little bit but this is a legitimate prospect and day 1 starter. 

He’s stout and short but man does this guy move. Occasionally he struggles with his anchor but he also stones those Auburn tackles on occasion. He’s also calling out and making adjustments at the line. 3 year starter. I did not think he’d be so damn impressive. 

Reminds me of Jason Kelce, the body shape isn’t like Kelce but he’s got the whole quick feet, aggressiveness to him.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, kdels62 said:

These are my favorite videos I’ve watched on Nick Harris. He’s my guy. He’s our next Hall of Fame Center. I might be overstating a little bit but this is a legitimate prospect and day 1 starter. 

He’s stout and short but man does this guy move. Occasionally he struggles with his anchor but he also stones those Auburn tackles on occasion. He’s also calling out and making adjustments at the line. 3 year starter. I did not think he’d be so damn impressive. 

Reminds me of Jason Kelce, the body shape isn’t like Kelce but he’s got the whole quick feet, aggressiveness to him.

I love that tape and love his game but I think he gets overwhelmed at the next level. 1st round skills with a 4th or lower round grade only because of his size.

3 hours ago, kdels62 said:

Good list.  That's the interior group I'm most focused on if we go C/OG in the first 3 rounds.

I know Cush, Harris, Biadasz fairly well...but would love to learn more about Throckmorton (who many have listed as OT), Lemieux and Bredeson from Michigan.   I think we'll be staring at a few of those guys with our two picks in Round 3.

i wanted to find more negatives on Nick Harris and found this game. I’ve realized that generally a NT right over Harris is generally to Harris’s advantage. He’s strong enough to take on the challenge and quick enough to be in his set before he gets contact. Harris seems to struggle when he has to stretch a bit because he OG didn’t get enough contact to slow down the DT or when the NT hesitates. I think it’s because Harris uses aggression to compensate for size and sometimes finds himself leaning. I still think he’s a baller.

Throckmorton RT-  Plays RT, could play RT in the pros, I don’t think he should but he can. He was the most impressive guy in the film. Decent feet getting into his sets and he was the strongest guy in the videos. His hands weren’t super active and he played a lot of the game where he dares the defender to go first, which I hated. He was more comfortable in those tighter instances, there were instances where speed rushers ran past him and he did enough but it wasn’t fun to watch and he wouldn’t get away with it in the pros. Could see a 3rd round pick being used on him especially since he can play RT or either Guard.

Shane Lemieux LG - I went in having seen twitter clips of the guy wrecking DL and I was super excited. Then I watched tape. I didn’t love him. Active hands, active feet, smart. All of the Oregon OL seem to be good at passing off stunts and knowing how to adjust which is great, they’re  all asked to pull also which is fun to watch. Lemieux has some nastiness to him at times and that first play against Auburn is awesome, but that level of intensity is inconsistent. For a guy with good feet for a guard, he sucks at the second level and often runs aimlessly while a LB tracks the RB. He lacks vertical push in the run game against good competition (got little of It against Auburn/ Washington, got lots of it against Colorado). Leans a bit too much. I really hate his lack of finish, he’d win a battle and let his defender get up while he stood there proud of himself, he also would stop playing if he thought a play was over rather than playing to the whistle. He has upside but considering what he was on tape I can’t see him as more than a 3rd or 4th rounder.

Jake Hansen C - If I commend the OL for being good at recognizing stunts then I think we can commend the Center for being good at reads. Hansen seems active before the snap and that’s great, it’s why Harrison improved our OL even though he is not actually good. Hansen looks the smallest of the 3 but he also looked the slowest. Not a great anchor but not so terrible that there was a consistent problem, there also wasn’t consistent success. Good hands tho and he was quick to fire them to gain some control. His feet in his sets weren’t great but his movement when pulling was. A few errand snaps which is unfortunate since I only watched 4 games. Like Lemieux, he struggled to get wins in the run game against strong competition. Not scheme versatile but worth a look in the mid to late rounds. 

He’s a strong boy. Great push in run game and he never stops. Struggles with speed across his face. His balance isn’t the best and he’s on the ground a lot. Seriously, he falls a lot. No good in space but he’s a center, however he shouldn’t be pulling ever. Not the most active Center we’ve seen at the line of scrimmage. I feel like after the bowl game I was super down on him but I realize I was just too hyped about the “best C” prospect. He’s good, but he’s not great. His strength and hands are top notch but he’s not a total package. Looks like a 3rd rounder that I wouldn’t worry about taking in the 2nd round because he’ll play early and often.

So I don't pay attention to this type of stuff as much as I used to, so I could be wrong in my assessment.  Putting that disclaimer out first.

That said, Gase appears to rely much more on zone schemes in the run game than power.  While it's obviously important for all players to fit well into your scheme, in the zone running game, I think it's even more important for interior OL.

Will be interested to see how they assemble this OL.  I don't see any of the Jets starters at the end of the year your prototype zone type OL.  Beachum probably the most, and Harrison a bit too.  Even the initial unit with Winters, Osemele and Kalil appeared to be less than optimal fits.

9 hours ago, RobR said:

I love that tape and love his game but I think he gets overwhelmed at the next level. 1st round skills with a 4th or lower round grade only because of his size.

Well, depending on Harris's frame, can't he put on another 10-20lbs in the pros. 

Lloyd Cushenberry- The opposite of Biadasz. Long (maybe too long) for a center with a lot of frame to fill out. Quick guy that wasn’t asked to pull much but definitely capable. Tenacious with quick hands and a love of contact. However, he lacks anchor and drive. Bull rushed backwards a lot more than you wanna see. Seems to rely on upper body athleticism while digging his heels in which leads to some really unfortunate reps. Faith in his frame makes him lean a bit but honestly if he fills out he’ll be able to pull it off. His grade depends on how much potential determines your grade. As is, he’s an early day 3 pick but he projects well and that’ll drive him up to the 3rd round.

28 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Well, depending on Harris's frame, can't he put on another 10-20lbs in the pros. 

I can’t see it. He’s maxed out to the extent that his agility is surprising. I really loved his tape but I also see the flaw in hoping that you have the next Jason Kelce, there’s really only one of him in this league. 

4 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

So I don't pay attention to this type of stuff as much as I used to, so I could be wrong in my assessment.  Putting that disclaimer out first.

That said, Gase appears to rely much more on zone schemes in the run game than power.  While it's obviously important for all players to fit well into your scheme, in the zone running game, I think it's even more important for interior OL.

Will be interested to see how they assemble this OL.  I don't see any of the Jets starters at the end of the year your prototype zone type OL.  Beachum probably the most, and Harrison a bit too.  Even the initial unit with Winters, Osemele and Kalil appeared to be less than optimal fits.

This scares me so much.  While of course I want JD to be in step with the HC and draft players to fit what we want to do, this isnt Sean Payton hes getting in put from - Gase could be gone in a year and then we are stuck with OL who might not fit what we want to do.   

I  just hope we find good players that can hopefully play in multiple systems.