2019 DIVISIONAL ROUND GAME THREAD (Sunday games!)

Just now, T0mShane said:

They’re weird commercials in the same way that those awful Aaron Rodgers insurance commercials are weird: two highly successful young guys portrayed as isolated misanthropes who can barely tolerate interpersonal human relationships 

In Rodgers case, its true.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, TeddEY said:

Honestly, though, that was one of my main takeaways from the book.  That Pettine was a serious, legitimate coach, and that the team saw the whole Wilkerson thing coming... so much so, that they were somewhat reluctant to draft him.

People have told me that the two best football books (outside of the famous Bill Walsh coaching bible() are "Collision Low Crossers" and "The System."  Don't read mich any more but they both sound interesting 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

People have told me that the two best football books (outside of the famous Bill Walsh coaching bible() are "Collision Low Crossers" and "The System."  Don't read mich any more but they both sound interesting 

Yep, it was a great read.  Anyone who actually takes the time to read Collision Low Crossers and still worships at the feet of Rex was definitely the kid whose Dad still sends birthday cards from Tucson with $5 in them.  

I've been telling @JiF to read that one for years.  But, you know, University of Florida and all. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It doesn’t matter what play you call if you can’t block it. There is no scheme that can overcome bad interior line play. Conversely, good OL play makes a lot of average players and coaches look like savants

And it doesn’t matter if a play is well blocked if the pass patterns don’t get receivers open or the play call for the situation doesn’t work. Good OL play wouldn’t make Gase look better. It would expose him further. 

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

They’re weird commercials in the same way that those awful Aaron Rodgers insurance commercials are weird: two highly successful young guys portrayed as isolated misanthropes who can barely tolerate interpersonal human relationships 

Did you just describe Matthew McConaughey as a "young guy"?

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

I mean, as a Jets fan, I don't know how anyone can skip that book.  It's a detailed, and well-told account of the 2011 Jets season.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Pettine was also always a camera hog. ESPN featured him when he was a high school coach way back when. I've heard he doesnt want the spotlight anymore and is content being a coordinator.

That’s cool. He seems like a capable coach, and I’m sure it was frustrating for him to be on that Rex carnival crew (iirc Bill Callahan was similarly distressed). I don’t know why more guys don’t embrace being career assistants. The payoff for being the head coach seems minimal by comparison 

• Upvote 1

Just now, CrazyCarl40 said:

And it doesn’t matter if a play is well blocked if the pass patterns don’t get receivers open or the play call for the situation doesn’t work. Good OL play wouldn’t make Gase look better. It would expose him further. 

Look I’m not a fan of Gase but I do think a improved line will do wonders for us.  Not saying you’re wrong about Gase I dislike a lot of his decisions but I’m hoping part of it was just because our oline made it much harder to run the ball or run plays he wants 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Honestly I don’t even remember writing “young” but alas

The simple answer for why you did this is that you and Matthew Modine haven't ever been seen in the same place at the same time.  

Matthew Avery Modine (also known as Tom Shane) is an American actor, activist and filmmaker, who rose to prominence through his role as United States Marine Corps Private Joker in Stanley Kubrick's Full Metal Jacket. 

Born:  March 22, 1959 (age 60 years)
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Jets723 said:

Look I’m not a fan of Gase but I do think a improved line will do wonders for us.  Not saying you’re wrong about Gase I dislike a lot of his decisions but I’m hoping part of it was just because our oline made it much harder to run the ball or run plays he wants 

next year around the same time as now , all the Gase lovers will give "reasons" why they supported this idiot

he is an awful coach and will never be good.

i predict he will be like Rex after the Bills fired him , no one will touch him

Just now, fusionCA said:

next year around the same time as now , all the Gase lovers will give "reasons" why they supported this idiot

he is an awful coach and will never be good.

i predict he will be like Rex after the Bills fired him , no one will touch him

That’s possible.  I mean I haven’t been shy I NEVER wanted to hire Gase but I’m still rooting for him because I want to win next year.  We shall see 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

CLC was great because the author wasn’t a big football fan and most everyone in the building clearly thought he was writing a puffy fanboy account when in reality he was doing actual journalism and it exposed Rex and Tannenbaum as the unserious buffoons they were. The Scotty McKnight draft episode was riveting and disgusting at the same time 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

I hope they get a great line and then there are no more excuses for the guy who has stacked them up both in Miami and now with our favorite team. 

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Carl plz 

Well in two years when Gase is gone and Darnold bolts elsewhere, I hope you carve Carl wuz right in wood somewhere. 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

That’s cool. He seems like a capable coach, and I’m sure it was frustrating for him to be on that Rex carnival crew (iirc Bill Callahan was similarly distressed). I don’t know why more guys don’t embrace being career assistants. The payoff for being the head coach seems minimal by comparison 

Oh?  Matt Rhule is 0-0 as HC and now has generational, **** you money, even if he loses every game 65-0 until he's fired.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

CLC was great because the author wasn’t a big football fan and most everyone in the building clearly thought he was writing a puffy fanboy account when in reality he was doing actual journalism and it exposed Rex and Tannenbaum as the unserious buffoons they were. The Scotty McKnight draft episode was riveting and disgusting at the same time 

Just curious.  What did it saw about Bradway?  I thought he was always a prized tool.  Maybe a I was wrong.  IDK.

9 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

almost verbatom how i feel. specially the Gase part.

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Yep.  They never would have given him that full access if they knew what he'd actually write about, hence why it was such a brilliant account.  

The kid earnestly wanted to like the people in the building.  That was clearly demonstrated in his writing.  He walked in there hoping to chronicle a Super Bowl season and maybe be seen as cool in a testosterone-filled environment.  The guys in there became his friends, at least at the time.  

But in a true Almost Famous moment in his career he stayed true to himself and still wrote the damn thing, being brutally honest in the process.  That couldn't have been easy.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Losmeister said:

almost verbatom how i feel. specially the Gase part.

Yeah.  Exactly.  That’s why I keep saying how impactful oline will give our QB and RBs more time,space,freedom,and less stress to make more plays.  Gase still needs to be more creative and smart though 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yep, it was a great read.  Anyone who actually takes the time to read Collision Low Crossers and still worships at the feet of Rex was definitely the kid whose Dad still sends birthday cards from Tucson with $5 in them.  

I've been telling @JiF to read that one for years.  But, you know, University of Florida and all. 

What kind of lies are you telling while you insult a top 10 public Educational Institution in the country?