Vrabel has begun the blueprint for stopping Lamar Jackson

RoadFan

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The best blueprint vs many teams is to get the lead early.

Teams in the lead can dictate the game. 

Balt had to go away from their offense because Tenn scored points and did not settle for FGs'

excellent point.  i doubt if the titans can win if they have to rely on tannehill.

1 hour ago, Jets723 said:

He committed 3 turnovers..that’s not good.  A lot of the yards he got was when the game was essentially over and it took him 60 pass attempts.  The Ravens  didn’t play well I agree but saying that Lamar did his job is ridiculous.  Tannehill might not have had the flashy stats but he didn’t make mistakes and made plays when he had to 

I didn’t say “he did his job”. No one seems to grasp the point that a guy who did not play well had over 500 freaking yards! I don’t care when the yards came. 500 is 500. How many times did the jets have over 500 yards of offense as a team this season?

9 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

lol he threw two picks, fumbled and a ton of those yards were accumulated in the final two-three Ravens drives. The game was 28-12 near the end of the 3rd and it stayed that way because Lamar didn’t punch it in. I understand he was playing under fire all night, but you are the league MVP, you put the team on your back and you sling that SOB around until you hit pay dirt. He didn’t. Idc if he were to have 600 yards passing and running, Lamar Jackson’s arm couldn’t get the job done tonight and now their season is over. I don’t even dislike Lamar for being 2018 QB class competition to our own QB, I really don’t, that’s childish but I’m a straight shooter and I call it like I see it. Lamar isn’t that great of a passer and it showed tonight when the MVP’s team needed him to be that level of passer.

Many of Jackson's throws last night were DUCKS ie awful looking throws, while he was under pressure.  Makes you wonder what his completion % would be if he stepped into Darnold's shoes and had to hit throws to receivers who at best give you the window the size of thimble since they never get separation, and those are the ONLY type of receivers Darnold has ever known his first 2 years.  Then again Jackson would probably have had each of his legs broken playing behind a Jet "OL" that does not contain a single lineman of NFL quality, instead of probably behind the BEST OL in football, which is Baltimores.

It made you harp back to what NFL talent evaluators saw when they picked many QBs ahead of him.

I was not impressed in the least with Jackson's "500 yards" last night since most of it came in garbage time with Tennessee letting them run out the clock and being in Prevent.

When the NFL's "MVP" Jackson was called on to convert MULTIPLE "4th and 1's".....He did not.  Not an MVP in my book.  He was just exposed last night.  MAKE HIM stay in the pocket and be, you know, a real QB.....and there are problems.

Throw his stats out from yesterday's game because the game was a BLOW OUT played in Baltimore's home park.

Jackson, and this is no fault of his own, has been extremely lucky to be placed in a situation where he immediately has a very smart HC who revamped the entire Offense to suit his skill-set, the best OL in the league.  2 excellent TE's as security blankets.  They got him receviers right off the bat who can either burn or get contested balls on throws that you know, might not be all that accurate.

If Jackson is "1 and Done" next year the play-offs again....there are going to be lots of questions starting to get asked.

2 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I didn’t say “he did his job”. No one seems to grasp the point that a guy who did not play well had over 500 freaking yards! I don’t care when the yards came. 500 is 500. How many times did the jets have over 500 yards of offense as a team this season?

Don’t get sensitive dude lol.  The guy threw 60 times so even in a bad game you would get a lot of yards that way.  We all agree that his biggest strength is running so again that adds. Up However the most important thing is the result and the fact that he turned it over 3 times

9 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

How good do you have to be to have 500+ yards on a day you don’t play your best!?

Ravens run D lost that game, not Lamar.

He had kind of an odd day.

Some amazing runs, his passing was decent, but he definitely missed some throws, or had some wobble.   365 yard passing is good, but not really when you throw the ball 59 times.  Really, they played well between the 20s, but didn't make the key plays.

What's crazy is the Ravens ran 92 plays.    Which is a ton.   59 passes thrown, 4 sack, 29 runs.   Lamar had 20 of those runs, so what that really means is the team ran 92 plays, and someone other than Lamar be the focal point for 9 of them.    The guy must have been exhausted by the end of the game.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

Don’t get sensitive dude lol.  The guy threw 60 times so even in a bad game you would get a lot of yards that way.  We all agree that his biggest strength is running so again that adds. Up However the most important thing is the result and the fact that he turned it over 3 times

Agreed. But how good do you have to be to have 500+ yards on a sub par day?

14 hours ago, Larz said:

The whole team was off

the failed 4th down attempts were the difference 

I hope someday we have a guy that accounts for 500 yards and people say he was exposed lol

Titans made ALL THE BIG PLAYS. Closest to a big play that Balt made was a 30 yd QB scramble.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001096104/article/marlon-humphrey-ravens-identity-is-playoff-choking

"We got our ass whooped today," Ingram said.

"I've been on great teams that haven't won s---," t"    nobody making any excuses. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Nobody is tearing him apart.  In fact I’ve been nothing but complimentary of his season as a whole.  But I’m fair and he had a bad game last night. It’s not all his fault because the Ravens were not good as a team but it’s disingenuous to say he did his job and nobody else did 

1 minute ago, Jets723 said:

Nobody is tearing him apart.  In fact I’ve been nothing but complimentary of his season as a whole.  But I’m fair and he had a bad game last night. It’s not all his fault because the Ravens were not good as a team but it’s disingenuous to say he did his job and nobody else did 

1. He generated 500 yards of offense on his own, no?

2. I don’t think Kurt was singling you out.

12 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

He also had 3 turnovers and by that time the game was over pretty much. He also threw 60 times 

they were down 14 pts early...        uphill fight all the way.....   its looking like they are a front runner type team... (whcih is obvioulsy a BAD look)

i know JetNation was up in arms cos we didnt run Bell to try to overturn a 2 score deficit to the winless Bungles.

hard to come back on the ground unless you WERE and STILL are getting large chunks of yards that way.

Titans defended to 4th and 1s really well. scored TDs after both. OOPH!!!

and as we speak Texans up 2 TDs.

• WTF? 1

2 hours ago, chirorob said:

played well between the 20s, but didn't make the key plays.

and the Titans made about a half dozen MONSTER plays.

btw, the TE that made the 1st TD will be the new helmet catch guy...    its the best play he'll ever make.

and thats NOT TO DISCOUNT the timeliness of the Titans. All credit to them.... 2 4th down stops. Great TE catch,

great deep 40+ yd TD, Henry with gashing runs and a jump pass on 3rd and goal. Great stuff from them.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jets723 said:

He also had 3 turnovers and by that time the game was over pretty much. He also threw 60 times 

I think, when me player has to shoulder 500 yards of total offense, that mistakes are going to happen - just based on the increased odds of more attempts. I think the team around him got out-played, and his coaches had no answers ... and it exposed him. Basically the opposite of how Shanny and Vrabel have gone out of their way not to expose their QBs.

A debate about Lamar seems short-sighted, at best. His tram lost. It happens.

The national debate singling him out with criticism isn’t about football.

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

I think, when me player has to shoulder 500 yards of total offense, that mistakes are going to happen - just based on the increased odds of more attempts. I think the team around him got out-played, and his coaches had no answers ... and it exposed him. Basically the opposite of how Shanny and Vrabel have gone out of their way not to expose their QBs.

A debate about Lamar seems short-sighted, at best. His tram lost. It happens.

The national debate singling him out with criticism isn’t about football.

I didn’t single him out. I said the team was bad.  However I was fair...he had a bad game.  Doesn’t mean it erases his great year.  But it’s ok to be honest and say he had a rough game it’s the truth 

15 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

I didn’t single him out. I said the team was bad.  However I was fair...he had a bad game.  Doesn’t mean it erases his great year.  But it’s ok to be honest and say he had a rough game it’s the truth 

Yea, that’s why I referred to the national debate. It’s about more than just a bad game. 

2 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

It is very surprising to see the amount of people ripping Lamar so much over 2 playoff losses. The guy just turned 23 last week. A lot of focus on the things he can’t do while ignoring the things he does great (and he can still develop and work on his passing ability). He’s not a finished product. This seems silly  

24 minutes ago, Jet Life said:

It is very surprising to see the amount of people ripping Lamar so much over 2 playoff losses. The guy just turned 23 last week. A lot of focus on the things he can’t do while ignoring the things he does great (and he can still develop and work on his passing ability). He’s not a finished product. This seems silly  

A lot of the anti-Lamar people were screaming at everyone up until 4 months ago that Baker Mayfield was a future HOFer

• Upvote 1

On 1/11/2020 at 8:26 PM, RoadFan said:

Rush 4 or 5 down lineman with a WIDER spread setting.  (creates traffic in many of the outside running lanes.)

Zone coverage with a focus on taking away the middle of the field for him to throw.   ( It forces him to pass outside the hashes more often, while also limiting gains if he decides to take off up the middle.)

Curious to see Baltimore's halftime adjustment...

That blueprint has been around for decades.

Take away his running game and turn him into a passer and hes just not good.  Duck passes, inaccurate passes.  Hes not a real QB, hes an incredible athlete oversold because he plays a exciting style of QB on a really well coached, talented football team.  

It wasn't anything that the rest of the league knew had to be done, wasn't a new blueprint, just the Titans executed the plan to perfections.  Also helped that Ingrams injury helped shut down their running attack.

• Sympathy 1

On 1/11/2020 at 8:26 PM, RoadFan said:

Rush 4 or 5 down lineman with a WIDER spread setting.  (creates traffic in many of the outside running lanes.)

Zone coverage with a focus on taking away the middle of the field for him to throw.   ( It forces him to pass outside the hashes more often, while also limiting gains if he decides to take off up the middle.)

Curious to see Baltimore's halftime adjustment...

Well, the bad news is that the Titans players are talking and Vrabel didn't come up with it. They modeled their defense on what Buffalo did. So if there's a blueprint then it came from another head coach in the AFC East. If Buffalo ever figures out how to improve their offense to even just "bad" then they're going to difficult to handle.

On 1/11/2020 at 11:22 PM, DJF71 said:

At best Lamar has had a better season than Darnold. And he is a better RB than Darnold. I think in 3 years being the better RB will be all that Lamar can do better if he is still in the NFL.

At best? Lamar had a season that Darnold isn't likely to ever come close too. We all hope he does of course but right now there is little evidence to suggest it.

Lamar's legs were the driver, but he had a fantastic season throwing the ball: #2 DVOA, #5 DYAR, #4 in ANY/A .. 36/6 TD/Int ratio is phenomenal.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, CTM said:

At best? Lamar had a season that Darnold isn't likely to ever come close too. We all hope he does of course but right now there is little evidence to suggest it.

Lamar's legs were the driver, but he had a fantastic season throwing the ball: #2 DVOA, #5 DYAR, #4 in ANY/A .. 36/6 TD/Int ratio is phenomenal.

they are so envious its disgusting.

• Upvote 1

Just now, CTM said:

Nah he's not. You can't say Mahommes is great without some Jet fans saying some version of well his team/coach is much better than Darnolds

I don’t think anyone has said that Darnold is better.  I think people are just talking about the team rosters which I think we agree are night and day 

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

So the blueprint is stop the Ravens on 4th down, have their receivers drop a bunch of balls and go ahead by 3 TD's quick? 

Yes, and thank the heavens that Darnold isn't a Raven because that would be unstoppable and unfair

Lamar had a tough game, but it shows just how green he is as a qb prospect still.

I'll say this, he has the potential to be lethal, his running ability is second to none right now and he can make plays out of literally nothing.  The problem during that game was two fold and something that through out this thread has been discussed already.

1. they took away the run and more importantly the read option run forcing lamar to run outside on his pull reads and having players there playing fundamentally sound football.  The defense did a fantastic job sticking to their keys and focusing on their assignments rather than keeping eyes in the backfield and falling for all the window dressing.

2. they forced jackson to throw outside the hashes where statistically he's had more trouble. 

Point 2 is where id like to focus most of my attention on my post.  So because of point 1 the play action passing game was not as effective for the ravens as it's been.  That play action has allowed jackson to routinely get wide open throws to TE (mainly) and WR's deep down the field and in the intermediate middle of the field.  The problem most teams have is they have to routinely commit extra defenders to the box to stop the run meaning that your secondary has to play more and more man coverage on spread sets.  What the titans did so well was keep 6 players in the box and handle the run allowing them to drop into zone coverage and force passes over the middle to be into tight windows.  Jackson was routinely high on those throws this game (see the interception to mark andrews in the intermediate middle) .   

Taking away jacksons play action throws over the middle forced him to drop back and now hit throws outside the numbers, which at times he threw the ball with nice timing and zip.  The issue now with jackson isnt that he is INCAPABLE of performing these types of throws, its more than he is inconsistent due to his mechanics.  Throws over the middle require less mechanical consistency as a lot of time they are touch throws or throws to wide open players at a shorter distance.  Throws outside the numbers require more power which comes not only from a strong arm, but from a solid base and disassociation of the core to provide torque and power.  Jackson on these throws couldnt consistently get his feet set in a proper position to get the required torque from his lower body and instead "muscled up" on these throws to get them there, which resulted in fluttering passes that were often under thrown.  Alot of times when you see a pass that wobbles like that its because the quarterback is overgripping the ball to MUSCLE it into a window instead of using his core and legs to get the necessary power for the throw. 

For jackson to have success going forward and improve on the incredible season he had this year he must continue to correct his throwing mechanics.  He has come a longgggg way from year 1 to year 2 but he has to continue his accent otherwise he'll never reach his ceiling. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

12 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Lamar had a tough game, but it shows just how green he is as a qb prospect still.

I'll say this, he has the potential to be lethal, his running ability is second to none right now and he can make plays out of literally nothing.  The problem during that game was two fold and something that through out this thread has been discussed already.

1. they took away the run and more importantly the read option run forcing lamar to run outside on his pull reads and having players there playing fundamentally sound football.  The defense did a fantastic job sticking to their keys and focusing on their assignments rather than keeping eyes in the backfield and falling for all the window dressing.

2. they forced jackson to throw outside the hashes where statistically he's had more trouble. 

Point 2 is where id like to focus most of my attention on my post.  So because of point 1 the play action passing game was not as effective for the ravens as it's been.  That play action has allowed jackson to routinely get wide open throws to TE (mainly) and WR's deep down the field and in the intermediate middle of the field.  The problem most teams have is they have to routinely commit extra defenders to the box to stop the run meaning that your secondary has to play more and more man coverage on spread sets.  What the titans did so well was keep 6 players in the box and handle the run allowing them to drop into zone coverage and force passes over the middle to be into tight windows.  Jackson was routinely high on those throws this game (see the interception to mark andrews in the intermediate middle) .   

Taking away jacksons play action throws over the middle forced him to drop back and now hit throws outside the numbers, which at times he threw the ball with nice timing and zip.  The issue now with jackson isnt that he is INCAPABLE of performing these types of throws, its more than he is inconsistent due to his mechanics.  Throws over the middle require less mechanical consistency as a lot of time they are touch throws or throws to wide open players at a shorter distance.  Throws outside the numbers require more power which comes not only from a strong arm, but from a solid base and disassociation of the core to provide torque and power.  Jackson on these throws couldnt consistently get his feet set in a proper position to get the required torque from his lower body and instead "muscled up" on these throws to get them there, which resulted in fluttering passes that were often under thrown.  Alot of times when you see a pass that wobbles like that its because the quarterback is overgripping the ball to MUSCLE it into a window instead of using his core and legs to get the necessary power for the throw. 

For jackson to have success going forward and improve on the incredible season he had this year he must continue to correct his throwing mechanics.  He has come a longgggg way from year 1 to year 2 but he has to continue his accent otherwise he'll never reach his ceiling. 

A shame this post is so late in the thread.   Most probably will miss it.  Great stuff.

• Upvote 2