The Truth About Sam Darnold

Maxman

Just now, CTM said:

Yep. I think Jackson probably comes down to earth a bit next year and Sam get a little better. Not a long way to go at all.

Look I really like Jackson he is a very exciting player but his style is eventually gonna cause injuries IMO.  Plus for the first time the Ravens didn’t play well and it clearly affected Lamar.  So as talented as you can be you still need help. Unfortunately Sam has had very little help and pretty much zero protection from the Oline.  When we start fixing that it will give Sam much more freedom to make plays 

15 minutes ago, CTM said:

It's not just here it's everywhere really. I am not a fan either,hate is a very strong word and I try not to use it often, but I stop well short of finding it offensive. Most times it's used casually as a figure of speech "hater", when used seriously it's just dumb and/or histrionic

13 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

I agree about hate.  It’s a strong word that should be used.  However I do feel some put their own frustrations out on certain players that don’t deserve all that criticism.  That’s the only issue I have 

I hate Bakery Mayflower and he deserves all the hate in the world. 

• Haha 4

Didn't Robert Griffen set the world on fire, just like Lamar did in his first year, and then suffered a leg injury and was never the same and as soon out of the league. It's hard to have longevity as a running qb.  Vick did sustain greatness and longevity, but it's the exception to the rule.

2 hours ago, JiF said:

Wow!!!  Thanks for posting this.  Kid does some amazing stuff.  I don’t know how watching these clips doesn’t give someone extreme confidence in this kid but it should.  He’s got magic in him you can’t teach.  Very excited about his career. 

He gets out of pressure situations with such finesse and ease. The first two .gifs it shows that side step move we’ve seen Darnold do dating back to last year’s Week 2 against the Browns in Cleveland. The off platform throws are mind bogglingly accurate, how can you back pedal to the left side, cock the ball back in from your right side and sling it so perfectly accurate across your body? Really good stuff. I don’t think many of the rookies/2nd year QB’s could take this beating and still play so tough. I also don’t think many of them can duck and dodge with little movements that give the QB extra time nearly as well. That was a perk any team drafting Darnold was going to get — the pocket escapability. It’s A1, top notch, and it’s a natural sense of body movement. It just can’t be taught. I love this kid. I haven’t had a favorite player in a long time. I don’t buy jerseys much. I have 1 Revis home jersey and that’s it. Sam Darnold has quickly taken that spot without hesitation and he’s going to be really really good.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

First pick was the TEs fault too. Weird how  Jackson has over 500 yards and people want to lay the loss at his feet. While he clearly could have played better, how freaking good to you have to be to have 500 yards and it be agreed that you didn’t play your best!?

IMO the Ravens run D lost that game. There were no surprises, they saw a lot of Henry, and they could not stop him.

Agree - Jacksons stats for the game were: 

31 of 59 (52.5% is not good but receivers did not help with 6-8 drops and tipped ball INT) 

Sacked 4 times (OL was not helping either)

1 TD and 2 INT (not good)

365 passing yards (is great)

143 rushing yards (is great) NFL playoff record passing over 300 and rushing over 100)

Ony his 3rd game all year with multiple interceptions and under 60% completion rate - I don't think he is done or has been "figured out", he had a bad day that Cousins dreams for

2019 SEASON STATS
3,127 passing yards, 36 TD, 6 Int,  66% completion rate and 81.8 QBR (best in league) plus 1,206 rushing yards and 7 TD's

LJ's season would be top 5 in Jets history for a QB - we can all agree that Sam has the potential to have a better career over the next decade without trashing a great year for Jackson, he is not done and the competition should be fun to watch...

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, DRJETS said:

But by the time FRAUD is fired and we start assessing his damages, Sam could very well be on another team.  Payton’s personal coffee boy has a thing for remarkable improving his former players after he is no longer coaching them.

This is my only real concern with Sam.  

I honestly still can’t believe we hired the coach that had just gotten fired  by the Miami - Freakin - Dolphins...

An “offensive” coach that consistently produces bottom 5 offenses in the league.

It boggles the mind.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

58 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I loathe the way "hate" is thrown around on this site.  The word hate has a heavy meaning, and it's flippant and casual use attacking anyone not fully drinking the cool aid is IMO offensive frankly.  In no way do I "hate" Sam Darnold ffs.

Isn't "drinking the cool aid" a reference to the lives of ~1000 people being snuffed out? Kind of a flippant and casual use of the phrase to refer to the belief in the abilities of a sports figure. 

😝

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, JiF said:

I hate Bakery Mayflower and he deserves all the hate in the world. 

I saw ANOTHER commercial for a different product with him yesterday that I had never seen before.

Jeez, this kid (actually can’t call him a kid soon, he’s getting old) really should be reading more of his playbook instead of trying to launch some half-as*ed acting career.

Just now, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

I saw ANOTHER commercial for a different product with him yesterday that I had never seen before.

Jeez, this kid (actually can’t call him a kid soon, he’s getting old) really should be reading more of his playbook instead of trying to launch some half-as*ed acting career.

I still don’t understand why he is getting so many commercials lol

Sam can potentially be the best of the 2018 QB class, but his resume is currently 4th only ahead of Rosen.

1. Lamar Jackson is currently the best and there is no debate. You can question his longevity due to his style, but until that happens he is #1 until someone else outplays him. He was MVP and his team dominated everybody for the regular season. He broke the QB rushing record while also leading the league in TD passes.

2. Josh Allen is better than many Jets fans will give him credit for. He also has longevity questions like Lamar but he was also 6th in Total TDs in the NFL while barely playing in week 17 with a slightly below average supporting cast. He had 24 TDs and 5 Turnovers the last 12 weeks.

3. Sam Darnold has all the tools you want from your franchise QB so its easy to project him having the brightest future. After a rough start, Darnold was able to inject life into a team that was on pace to be historically bad. Darnold ended the 7-6 with a new OC, new HC, a bad O-line, and below average talent as weapons besides for Bell who was also impacted by not having a O-line.

4. Baker Mayfield had the best rookie season but had the worst sophomore season by far. Some people will blame Kitchens, but Baker has only had success with Kitchens calling the plays. He had a better supporting cast than Darnold and did much worse. Even if he returns to his rookie Form, he will still be 3rd behind Lamar and Allen this year due to Baker turning over the ball so much. 

5. Josh Rosen is done.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, JTJet said:

Never let anyone forget 

- Josh Allen has a losing record in the playoffs. 

- Lamar Jackson has a losing record in the playoffs. 

- Sam Darnold does not have a losing record in the playoffs lol. 

Bold prediction: Sam wins a playoff game before any other QB in that draft class. 

17 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Neither does Ryan Fitzpatrick. 

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

you were comparing their full career’s, no? 

6 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Fitzpatrick was 23 when drafted played in his first NFL game at 25. 

I was actually responding to the comment made in the thread by JTJet. 

11 hours ago, LSJF said:

Amazing how quick perceptions change, all year long all we heard was how  dumb teams were to pass up drafting Lamar, Everyone’s  superhero....I agree sam with competent coaching and offensive line will be the best...

Sam Darnold didn’t suddenly get better because Tennessee played a great game.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

Sam Darnold didn’t suddenly get better because Tennessee played a great game.

No, but with Lamar Jackson exposed as fake news, it elevates Darnold by default.

After 20 years of c-ckblocks, we need a clear runway to an AFC Championship.  With Brady, Rivers, Rothlisberger, and Luck non-factors, and Jackson, Allen, Rosen, and Mayfield as busts or JAG's, you're left with this in the AFC as the "potential special quarterbacks" group:

Mahomes
Watson
Darnold

So yesterday was very exciting.  We don't need another dynasty in the AFC.  If we can manage the Texans and Chiefs in the next few years, the AFC is ours.

SAR I

• Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

the "potential special quarterbacks" group:

Mahomes
Watson
Darnold

2 of them have already shown to be special 

Darnold has more in common with Mayfield and Allen than Mahommes

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

No, but with Lamar Jackson exposed as fake news, it elevates Darnold by default.

After 20 years of c-ckblocks, we need a clear runway to an AFC Championship.  With Brady, Rivers, Rothlisberger, and Luck non-factors, and Jackson, Allen, Rosen, and Mayfield as busts or JAG's, you're left with this in the AFC as the "potential special quarterbacks" group:

Mahomes
Watson
Darnold

So yesterday was very exciting.  We don't need another dynasty in the AFC.  If we can manage the Texans and Chiefs in the next few years, the AFC is ours.

SAR I

I basically said the same thing in another thread.  Jackson was exposed yesterday.  MAKE HIM stay in the pocket and you know "play QB", it's not all that easy.  Why? Because the guy is not all that accurate.  Which was the reason there were many QBs selected ahead of him.  His situation that he walked into in Baltimore is the very antithesis of what Sam Darnold walked into.

Great (ie smart) HC...revamps entire offense to fit his skill set

Best OL in the NFL

2 outstanding TE's as security blankets

Heavy duty running game with Ingram

Burners and big receivers gotten immediately for him who can either get great separation or fight for contested balls, when throws aren't all that accurate.

• Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, roscoeword said:

Didn't Robert Griffen set the world on fire, just like Lamar did in his first year, and then suffered a leg injury and was never the same and as soon out of the league. It's hard to have longevity as a running qb.  Vick did sustain greatness and longevity, but it's the exception to the rule.

Robert did not understand how to get down, and avoid big hits.   Lamar does a much better job of that.

Still, you can't last that long in the NFL running 20 times a game, and throwing 35 times.   He will have to cut the running down a bit, and learn to become a better thrower if he wants to last into his late 20s, or 30s.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, CTM said:

I just don’t understand the need for hyperbole or trying to crown somebody based off of potential. Darnold has to prove it over and over. He hasn’t yet. Not that hard.

Getting so emotional and biased about it is largely just blind fandom. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

I basically said the same thing in another thread.  Jackson was exposed yesterday.  MAKE HIM stay in the pocket and you know "play QB", it's not all that easy.  Why? Because the guy is not all that accurate.  Which was the reason there were many QBs selected ahead of him.  His situation that he walked into in Baltimore is the very antithesis of what Sam Darnold walked into.

Great (ie smart) HC...revamps entire offense to fit his skill set

Best OL in the NFL

2 outstanding TE's as security blankets

Heavy duty running game with Ingram

Burners and big receivers gotten immediately for him who can either get great separation or fight for contested balls, when throws aren't all that accurate.

They only ran the ball 9 times yesterday if it wasn't Lamar.   That was/is bizarre to me.

8 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

I just don’t understand the need for hyperbole or trying to crown somebody based off of potential. Darnold has to prove it over and over. He hasn’t yet. Not that hard.

Yep, I started to type why do you so many of you have the meed for hyperbole but I think we know the answer.

2 hours ago, CTM said:

It's not just here it's everywhere really. I am not a fan either,hate is a very strong word and I try not to use it often, but I stop well short of finding it offensive. Most times it's used casually as a figure of speech "hater", when used seriously it's just dumb and/or histrionic

Growing up, “hate” and “I don’t care” were on the same level as the generic curse words in our house. To this day, my brother and I think of them as such, and I intend on passing it down to our kids too. 

However, as an adult on a fan forum, there’s no way I’m taking offense to it. Anyone who does is just a hater and I don’t even care.

• Sympathy 1

17 minutes ago, CTM said:

I agree with you.  But I have more faith in Darnold's upside than Mayfield and Allen who have had playoff-caliber rosters and didn't do anything with them.  Sam has had trash WR's, TE's, OL's, and RB's.  The ceiling is high with this one.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

I agree with you.  But I have more faith in Darnold's upside than Mayfield and Allen who have had playoff-caliber rosters and didn't do anything with them.  Sam has had trash WR's, TE's, OL's, and RB's.  The ceiling is high with this one.

SAR I

Sure man, I'd take Datnold over either of them too.

But that doesnt mean hes like Mahommes who is top 3 today,  it means I think hes better than 2 bad QB's. Lots of room between elite and bad 

11 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Darnold has proven to be a very good, not great, quarterback with a) 2 different systems/playbooks, b) worst OL in the league, c) worst WR's in the league, d) no TE, and e) very limited options as a result of the above.

Sam looks great in a crappy offense.  Once we have decent OL and WR's and the rushing attack actually happens, damn, I'm extremely psyched about what Sam's potential is.

SAR I

• Upvote 1