Browns get their HC, Vikings former OC, Kevin Stefanski

Baker was a much different QB when throwing out of play action. Just to get an idea of what Baker could look like in a heavy play action scheme, im going to be using some of his numbers when throwing out of play action to see how they stack up against the rest of the league. 

Baker averaged:

67% completion rate. That would rank him 7th in the league between Watson and Matt Ryan

9.2 yards per attempt. Ranked 2nd, only behind Ryan Tannehill (9.6).

That's pretty good to see when knowing that you just hired a guy who runs a play-action heavy offense. 

Also, Mayfield threw 22TD's and 21 INT's. That's Jameis Winston-type terrible. However, what are his numbers while throwing out of play action? 

Mayfield threw for 10TD's 4INT's while throwing out of play action. I'd take this all-day long. 

He's a completely different quarterback when throwing out of play action. The fact that the numbers are this crystal clear while at the same time having Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt as RB's...Kevin Stefanski seems like the clear-cut man for the job in terms of offensive scheme. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Beerfish said:

Just brutal, I mean I am all for analytics re looking at players but having to hand in a game plan to the owner is beyond idiocy.

Most owners know jack but because they did well in other areas of life they think they know jack and are control freaks.

Yup.  There is a reason why the Browns are the Browns.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Just brutal, I mean I am all for analytics re looking at players but having to hand in a game plan to the owner is beyond idiocy.

Most owners know jack but because they did well in other areas of life they think they know jack and are control freaks.

By the same token, imagine having to explain a personnel move to a Johnson brother before you’re allowed to make it. Imagine being a career personnel professional and explaining why you want to sign an offensive lineman to a guy who literally never earned a dollar in his life. 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

By the same token, imagine having to explain a personnel move to a Johnson brother before you’re allowed to make it. Imagine being a career personnel professional and explaining why you want to sign an offensive lineman to a guy who literally never earned a dollar in his life. 

Just gotta hope Jimmy Sexton roots for the Jets to win games.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

CJ: "what do I do, what do I do now!?!?!  My plan is in tatters!  Who do I hire as coach now!?!?!?!"

Secretary: "Mr. Johnson Peyton Manning is on line 2 for you.  Do you want to take the call?"

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

Baker was a much different QB when throwing out of play action. Just to get an idea of what Baker could look like in a heavy play action scheme, im going to be using some of his numbers when throwing out of play action to see how they stack up against the rest of the league. 

Baker averaged:

67% completion rate. That would rank him 7th in the league between Watson and Matt Ryan

9.2 yards per attempt. Ranked 2nd, only behind Ryan Tannehill (9.6).

That's pretty good to see when knowing that you just hired a guy who runs a play-action heavy offense. 

Also, Mayfield threw 22TD's and 21 INT's. That's Jameis Winston-type terrible. However, what are his numbers while throwing out of play action? 

Mayfield threw for 10TD's 4INT's while throwing out of play action. I'd take this all-day long. 

He's a completely different quarterback when throwing out of play action. The fact that the numbers are this crystal clear while at the same time having Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt as RB's...Kevin Stefanski seems like the clear-cut man for the job in terms of offensive scheme. 

I’d be surprised to find that this isn’t similar for most QBs.  

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, JiF said:

I’d be surprised to find that this isn’t similar for most QBs.  

Except most QB's may not be in such an offensive scheme as well as having RB's like Chubb and Hunt to run the offense through, such as the situation that Mayfield is currently in. That's why showing the stats are relevant in his case. It may not be relevant for most QB's in the league. 

The Browns even have the receivers that are complimentary. OBJ is the Diggs of the offense and Landry is the route technician like Thielen. As im looking through the games it does seem like the Vikings run quite a bit of 3 TE sets, which means that the Browns will have to invest in atleast one to two more TE's.

They play with a big front. The Browns are definitely going to be looking for linemen in free agency and will probably be drafting a tackle with their 10th pick in the draft.

7 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

It's not always as easy as just looking at results from a coordinators unit and forecasting future success as a Head Coach, but I don't think this is a good hire. 

As many weapons as the Vikings have their offense is just ok.  Not saying that's all on Stefanski, but he seems to have had a bit of a meteoric rise the last few years and I'm not sure why exactly.

Let's remember his QB is Kirk Cousins.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

c'mon man, what are you talking about?  CJ once won $300 in a pro-am tennis tournament.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

McDaniels interviewed because just in case, like the Rooney Rule?

How do you manage to draw breath?

Yes coaching candidates interview it doesn't mean they are always hired, LIKE THE ROONEY RULE. 

Are you always intoxicated,incoherent or do you suffer from a permanent  head injury. 

1 hour ago, Lith said:

I find it interesting if this were an MLB franchise, this likely wouldn't even be newsworthy.  It's that commonplace in MLB, but in the NFL it seems almost blasphemy.  

DePodesta was at the forefront of the movement in baseball.  Maybe he will be at the forefront in the NFL too.

Part about the owner being involv d seems dumb though, unless he's incredibly smart when it comes to analytics (doubt it)

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Yes coaching candidates interview it doesn't mean they are always hired, LIKE THE ROONEY RULE. 

Are you always intoxicated,incoherent or do you suffer from a permanent  head injury. 

lol, so you don’t see how what you said makes no sense, and how it makes even less sense with further explanation?

6 hours ago, Big_Slick said:

The headcase diva's will walk all over Stefanski but he doesn't care cause he's now rich AF.

37 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

True 

If I follow the logic you two are using, no HC in any sport cares because "he's now rich AF".

That's quite an interesting position.

• WTF? 1

23 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Stuff like this is why in the back of my mind I know that the Browns could find a way to f--- this up. 

Stupidity by ownership. 

The Haslam's are incredibly inept.

Have you ever read the article that SI wrote about them? I think it was in this past seasons Football Preview issue. They admitted how impulsive they'd been over their years in Cleveland, and how they regretted being able to stick with any plans their front offices laid out.

They have promised to try to change that more then once. Yet they continue to do it again and again.

31 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

The Haslam's are incredibly inept.

Have you ever read the article that SI wrote about them? I think it was in this past seasons Football Preview issue. They admitted how impulsive they'd been over their years in Cleveland, and how they regretted being able to stick with any plans their front offices laid out.

They have promised to try to change that more then once. Yet they continue to do it again and again.

Na, I'll look for the article but that's been the biggest problem with Cleveland.

Granted, I agreed with the Kitchens firing. I was supportive of it when it happened, but when watching the games you knew this guy wasn't ready for the responsibility. 

I did have a problem with the Dorsey firing, but I heard that he didn't want to fire Dorsey, but change his complete control. Which from the inside, hiring Kitchens warrants such a response by ownership afterwards. However Dorsey didn't want that so they decided to part ways. 

If Haslam was even a mediocre Owner, he would get a pass on this because in a vacuum I understand the move...but man, add this along with his past decisions.

This guy is making a case on why he's worse than the Johnson's

8 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

It's not always as easy as just looking at results from a coordinators unit and forecasting future success as a Head Coach, but I don't think this is a good hire. 

As many weapons as the Vikings have their offense is just ok.  Not saying that's all on Stefanski, but he seems to have had a bit of a meteoric rise the last few years and I'm not sure why exactly.

Yep.  He'd better be a damn good "CEO type".  Because he certainly wasn't an elite OC.