More Cowbell

Sam needs to be turned loose next season

I remember watching some breakdown videos in the offseason of Gase's scheme in Miami where he ran the option with Tannehill, so I was expecting that with Darnold, but it just never happened. Darnold looked a little hesitant to take off sometimes too.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Watching Watson, Mahomes, Wilson, even Rogers to an extent, all these QB's run. For yards. Sam is a mobile QB. He needs to do this also. 

I hope Gase isn't going to try to make him a drop back QB. 

Gase tries to make him a dink and dunk QB. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Watching Watson, Mahomes, Wilson, even Rogers to an extent, all these QB's run. For yards. Sam is a mobile QB. He needs to do this also. 

I’ve said all along, Sam’s built for that old Shanahan offense. Be a perfect fit for his skill set.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, TNJet said:

I think Sam sometimes looks to pass in situations where he can easily run for a first down. He needs to run in those situations 

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, TNJet said:

Injuries. No weapons. Bland offense the only option. It worked.  Stop with these dumb threads already. 

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 4
  • Butt Fumble 3

Nah everyone here panics the second he throws a pick so he’s gotta be a conservative game manager 

Just now, More Cowbell said:

I think Sam sometimes looks to pass in situations where he can easily run for a first down. He needs to run in those situations 

That’s fair.  I know he had the toe injury I wonder how big of a factor that was. But yes that’s one thing he needs to do more and I think he will 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

Injuries. No weapons. Bland offense the only option. It worked.  Stop with these dumb threads already. 

SAR I

What worked? We beat up a buch of crappy teams. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

We did beat cowboys Steelers too

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Nah everyone here panics the second he throws a pick so he’s gotta be a conservative game manager 

Suck.... gargle... swallow

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I’m going the opposite way and suggesting that Sam needs to be deemphasized in the offense and Douglas and Gase need to build a massive run-oriented, play-action passing game. Sam has talent, but there are too many games where he’s simply not mentally prepared to compete at a high level. Very, very Eli. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

We did beat cowboys Steelers too

Steelers weren't  a good team thos season. Cowboys were decent. Both missed the playoffs.  

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Cowboys, Raiders, Steelers, and Bills were not crappy teams when we played them. 

6-2 second half is a great accomplishment, one of the best coaching jobs in team history. 

SAR I

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1
  • Butt Fumble 3

Darnold's reluctance to run for first downs appears to be his, and his alone.   He did it last season, and this year with different coaching staffs.

He is always looking to throw when he scrambles, mostly a positive,  but it is frustrating to watch him choose not to take the acres of space in front of him with his legs over and over.

• Upvote 1

Just now, SAR I said:

Cowboys, Raiders, Steelers, and Bills were not crappy teams when we played them. 

6-2 second half is a great accomplishment, one of the best coaching jobs in team history. 

SAR I

Cowboys were a decent team, Steelers were not good, Raiders were not good, Bills we lost to when they didn't  pull the starting O after the first Qrt.

But but but running QBs get hurt!!!

I do agree though, they should take advantage of Sam's mobility

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’m going the opposite way and suggesting that Sam needs to be deemphasized in the offense and Douglas and Gase need to build a massive run-oriented, play-action passing game. Sam has talent, but there are too many games where he’s simply not mentally prepared to compete at a high level. Very, very Eli. 

Or....

We had one of the worst rushing attacks in the league and a below average group of receivers and Darnold was a star nonetheless. I’m more inclined to load up on receivers and let the boy spray the field. Look at the games today. You need to throw the ball in the playoffs. Let the pass set up the run, not the other way around. Sam’s got it.  Let’s not neuter the next Aaron Rogers. 

SAR I

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Deemphasizing the QB doesn't work in the long run.  Sink or swim with Sam.  If we're 60/40 pass plays and he sucks, we're not going to win if we go 40/60 anyways.  See what he can, and cannot, do and if it isn't good enough, let him go after his rookie deal ends and try again.  But this training wheel garbage just doesn't work.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Jets723 said:

They were both battling for playoff spots. They certainly weren’t crappy 

The steelers were playing musical QB's all season. Coboys was a good win. Only quality win we had this season. 

Look at all the QB'S  on playoff teams. They all run, even Tanny

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

Cowboys were a decent team, Steelers were not good, Raiders were not good, Bills we lost to when they didn't  pull the starting O after the first Qrt.

In every instance, they had the superior rosters and were favored to beat us easily. 

You can’t cry about losing the Bengals and Dolphins games and not be proud of the wins against the Cowboys, Raiders, Steelers, and Bills (twice). 

SAR I

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Or....

We had one of the worst rushing attacks in the league and a below average group of receivers and Darnold was a star nonetheless. I’m more inclined to load up on receivers and let the boy spray the field. Look at the games today. You need to throw the ball in the playoffs. Let the pass set up the run, not the other way around. Sam’s got it.  Let’s not neuter the next Aaron Rogers. 

SAR I

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Deemphasizing the QB doesn't work in the long run.  Sink or swim with Sam.  If we're 60/40 pass plays and he sucks, we're not going to win if we go 40/60 anyways.  See what he can, and cannot, do and if it isn't good enough, let him go after his rookie deal ends and try again.  But this training wheel garbage just doesn't work.  

Sam can be very good some weeks, then has weeks where he looks like he’s never played the game before in his life. IMO, if they’re serious about winning anything with him, they need to be ready to win when Sam is having ghost issues. Also, he’s missed a month in each of his two seasons, so they need to insulate themselves for injury/STDs as well

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

In every instance, they had the superior rosters and were favored to beat us easily. 

You can’t cry about losing the Bengals and Dolphins games and not be proud of the wins against the Cowboys, Raiders, Steelers, and Bills (twice). 

SAR I

I really don't  know what you mean by beating the Bills twice, we lost the forst game and the second game they rested the starters after the forst qrt., Raiders sucked this season, so did the Steelers. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

The steelers were playing musical QB's all season. Coboys was a good win. Only quality win we had this season. 

Look at all the QB'S  on playoff teams. They all run, even Tanny

Look all I mean is that not every win was from a crappy team that’s all 

He already got mono, how more "loose" do you want him to get?

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Larz said:

Keep him out of the high schools lol

3 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

He already got mono, how more "loose" do you want him to get?

First Sanchez, then Sam.  Why does every west coast QB we draft get caught with underage girls?

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Drums said:

I remember watching some breakdown videos in the offseason of Gase's scheme in Miami where he ran the option with Tannehill, so I was expecting that with Darnold, but it just never happened. Darnold looked a little hesitant to take off sometimes too.

Darnold’s best games were the ones where he’d take off and run. His worst games were the ones where he was short-circuiting and didn’t recognize scrambling as an option that was available to him. That speaks to a lack of experience at QB, and flimsy confidence. For the good of the franchise, they need to set Darnold up with Rihanna for a weekend, or at least someone like Selena Gomez, if only to put some hair on his chest 

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Sam can be very good some weeks, then has weeks where he looks like he’s never played the game before in his life. IMO, if they’re serious about winning anything with him, they need to be ready to win when Sam is having ghost issues. Also, he’s missed a month in each of his two seasons, so they need to insulate themselves for injury/STDs as well

Does he project better than Jamies? Darnold to date has basically been an injury prone mix of Winston and Fitzpatrick. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

For the good of the franchise, they need to set Darnold up with Rihanna for a weekend, or at least someone like Selena Gomez, if only to put some hair on his chest 

The Jets don't have the power to set Sam up with Rihanna.  She wouldn't even give Joel Embiid the time of the day.  Think she'd pick up the phone for some ginger when she wouldn't even tweet back at that 7-0 adonis, "The Process"?

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

All the QB's you mentioned above are ALL dropback QB's... Meaning they look to pass 1st & Only run as a last resort "unless" it's a called play for them to run...  I would like Sam to 'ONLY" run as a "LAST" resort & not expose him to needless hits that shortens his career.... Brady has Made his career this way... I'd rather an exceptional Sam for 20yrs than have him around for just a few.... History has shown that running QB's Don't last long in the NFL.

2 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Darnold's reluctance to run for first downs appears to be his, and his alone.   He did it last season, and this year with different coaching staffs.

He is always looking to throw when he scrambles, mostly a positive,  but it is frustrating to watch him choose not to take the acres of space in front of him with his legs over and over.

One of the end results of having a bad OL, bad WR's, and no rushing attack is that the lanes that Darnold would be running through would be filled with land mines and bayonets.  An OL that can pancake LB's, WR's who can block, and a ground attack that keeps LB's at bay would lead to a safe passage for Darnold to run 3x a game.

Again, judging anything with a team this bereft of offensive talent and so injured is hard to do. 

SAR I

• Upvote 1