Sam needs to be turned loose next season

49 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Bad NFL teams always have a terrible rushing attack and its almost always due to a terrible OL.

I look forward to seeing Gase with an elite OL.  He had it in Denver.  They were dominant.

SAR I

Arizona has one of the worst OLs in the NFL.  Drake looked like a superstar there.  Miami had a decent OL with Tunsil.  If Drake could run like crazy behind the Arizona OL, then why not in Miami?  It's Gase's scheme.  He doesn't use RBs to their talent level.  He had Drake benched most of the time and when he used him it was wrong.  Now explain Parker.  Gesicki. 

Sorry Scott but there are just too many for it all to be a coincidence.  Gase has head up his arse as far as offensive scheme and playcalling and he has shown that he is unable to use what talent he has properly both here and in Miami.

I'm not buying the excuse, oh, excuse me, the "reason" , of OL being terrible, because a good coach with a good scheme can still make his team competitive.  Arizona, with the worst OL in the NFL had Drake run all over everyone.  Gase does not do things like that and has not anywhere he has been, including most of his time in Denver and Chicago.  Not just Miami.   Id rather see it realistically than close my eyes and wish we finally have a good HC and hope it comes true.   I have no idea why you like this guy, Scott.  He has shown NOTHING.  Absolutley nothing.  

Geez, you better be right, because the eyeball test says this is about as bad a hire as the Jets have made since Woody bought the team.

• Post of the Week 1

17 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Sam will be a pocket passer ... That is all. Escaping the pocket to throw ... Not to run like LJ.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Ofcourse not.

Sam is Matt Ryan with more mobility

Lamar Jackson is Mike Vick with no dog killing

• Sympathy 1

The QB's flexibility to run is a reflection of the rest of the offense around him.
If we don't have a RB who can burst through a hole and we don't have WR's who can block well, we don't send our franchise quarterback into a minefield of LB's and S's there to kill him.  It's suicidal. 
Lamar can run all over because the Ravens have better OL'men and blocking WR's who open large swaths of field for him to run through.
SAR I
Lamar can run all.over the Place because he is Lamar ... Like Vick was Vick.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

On 1/13/2020 at 2:59 PM, Losmeister said:

Makes me go HMM.

I know I read somewhere Gase saying something about trusting to go through progressions. Not sure that accounts for some of the plays where it seemed obvious that he could hoof it for the 1st down, but chose to throw and ended up up w/ no convert. So..  am not sure where that line gets drawn...  keep eyes downfield keep eyes downfield, or cut and run....

I felt it was retty obvious yesterday the value of a QB making some plays with his feet.

That progression thing is what every coach says. It sounds logical but running for a first should be part of your progression 

On 1/13/2020 at 3:06 PM, Jet Nut said:

It would be better to get hit a small percentage of times vs getting hit just about every time you take off.  Never mind two moving objects are creating harder hits than one QB getting knocked down.  

Especially with the rules protecting QBs from getting hit hard, like they're allowed to be hit when they're on the run.

I cant think of injured QBs being told to run to avoid the occasional hit in the pocket

If you look at how Wilson runs, or even Mahomes, these two don't  take hits. Wilson slides before the hit, he even slides under defensive players like a base runner sliding under a tag,  Mahones runs to the sticks and gets out of bounds. The only guy that runs the way you are talking about is Allen and I agree, he is not long for this league if he keeps taking  these shots. 

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

Lamar can run all.over the Place because he is Lamar ... Like Vick was Vick.

.....until they weren't.

Scrambling QB's get battered too much, lose their speed, fall back on their arms, and they no gots.  They also gravitate to leaving the pocket too soon and their entire offenses get frustrated and lazy, they lose their edge.  The Ravens and Bills are going to find that out in the long term.  In the short term, Jackson and Allen both ran into defenses that could contain them, forced them to stay in the pocket, and they turned into Chad Pennington as soon as they actually had to stand there and throw the ball.

Darnold is more like Rogers.  Let the ball do the work, not the legs.

SAR I

6 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

If you look at how Wilson runs, or even Mahomes, these two don't  take hits. Wilson slides before the hit, he even slides under defensive players like a base runner sliding under a tag,  Mahones runs to the sticks and gets out of bounds. The only guy that runs the way you are talking about is Allen and I agree, he is not long for this league if he keeps taking  these shots. 

Yeah and 30+ NFL QBs cant do what Wilson does

Mahomes cant do what Wilson does.

Allen cant, Lamar cant, Watson cant, there are a string of athletes who put their health at risk outside of the pocket. No one says hes going to get hurt throwing from the pocket.  Brady, Eli, his brother on and on.  Injuries happened, running is a greater risk, that's all.

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Yeah and 30+ NFL QBs cant do what Wilson does

Mahomes cant do what Wilson does.

Allen cant, Lamar cant, Watson cant, there are a string of athletes who put their health at risk outside of the pocket. No one says hes going to get hurt throwing from the pocket.  Brady, Eli, his brother on and on.  Injuries happened, running is a greater risk, that's all.

I wasn't  saying Sam will donit as well as Wilson, that was meant as an example

No doubt there is more risk, but there are ways to balance the risk out. All Sam has to do is slide down before a hit or get out of bounds. It isn't  rocket science.

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

I wasn't  saying Sam will donit as well as Wilson, that was meant as an example

No doubt there is more risk, but there are ways to balance the risk out. All Sam has to do is slide down before a hit or get out of bounds. It isn't  rocket science.

I think we take for granted makeup of athletes and think all he has to do is slide or get out of bounds.  Other than Wilson no one else is able to consistently protect themselves from hits.  

Rodgers, Allen, Watson just a few examples of top athletes who have been injured outside of the pocket trying to get down. 

I get the point, but that its a scheme issue and he should have been called by coaches to run isn't really relevant 

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

I think we take for granted makeup of athletes and think all he has to do is slide or get out of bounds.  Other than Wilson no one else is able to consistently protect themselves from hits.  

Rodgers, Allen, Watson just a few examples of top athletes who have been injured outside of the pocket trying to get down. 

I get the point, but that its a scheme issue and he should have been called by coaches to run isn't really relevant 

Can you explain that last part. I understand the scheme thing, it's  the comment about coaches Im not following.  

32 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Can you explain that last part. I understand the scheme thing, it's  the comment about coaches Im not following.  

Yes, the idea was that his not running, trying to reduce the number of hits was a scheme issue and mistake.  

I don't know how bad he was feeling, don't know what the limitations were if he was experiencing pain or residual effects of mono.  

Its a wasted effort quite frankly unless you believe he should have been called on to run the ball.

I don't.

5 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

My guess is that we will substantially upgrade at least three OL positions this offseason and we will see a huge jump from Darnold as a direct result.

And at least 1 legitimate #1 wide receiver.

All the protection in the world doesn't matter if we don't have Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker to throw to.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

On 1/12/2020 at 8:55 PM, More Cowbell said:

Watching Watson, Mahomes, Wilson, even Rogers to an extent, all these QB's run. For yards. Sam is a mobile QB. He needs to do this also. 

I hope Gase isn't going to try to make him a drop back QB. 

The coaching staff needs to put Sammy in a position to succeed. Running all the time with the ball is a fools approach. Sammy had it in him to be an excellent pocket passer. He only needs to run as a very last resort. IF should get Sammy plenty of weapons he can utilize and build chemistry with. The coaching staff should accentuate what Sammy already doesc well.

5 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

The coaching staff needs to put Sammy in a position to succeed. Running all the time with the ball is a fools approach. Sammy had it in him to be an excellent pocket passer. He only needs to run as a very last resort. IF should get Sammy plenty of weapons he can utilize and build chemistry with. The coaching staff should accentuate what Sammy already doesc well.

I have said multiple  times that Sam needs to run when the opportunity  is there for him to get a first down. How did that translate into him running all the time. 

On 1/16/2020 at 9:55 AM, Bruce Harper said:

My guess is that we will substantially upgrade at least three OL positions this offseason and we will see a huge jump from Darnold as a direct result.

I think we sign Scherff and Conklin and draft Andrew Thomas

Top 3 Oline baby

• Upvote 1