Any Interest in Drafting a Kicker In This Draft?

GREENBEAN

57 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

True, and I agree that in this case, if there's a Kicker we like, absolutely take on in the 7th.  But are there a lot of 7th round pick Kickers that have gone on to success?  Gotta choose wisely there also.  

Seems to be a mix of higher picks and UDFA kickers that are missing the most this year.

Crapshoot....

57 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Go back and look at the players the Jets or any other team picked in the 7 round since 2010 and tell me you’d rather have them then a potential all pro kicker. 
It’s a no brainer. Draft a kicker. 

Both pro bowl kickers for this year were undrafted. Both pro bowl kickers from 2019 were undrafted.

Kickers are no more reliable via the draft than any other position, maybe worse.

3 hours ago, Joe the Breadman said:

Mike Nugent says hi......"drafting a kicker is a great idea".....

No one is talking about using a 2nd on a kicker though. lol 

Especially when we didn't have a first. Jesus the Jets have been so friggin bad for so long. 

4 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

I’ve always wondered why teams don’t invest a 7 th rd pick on a great kicker.  By that point the other positions have all been picked over and chances of finding a great player late are small.  Why not get the pick of the kickers instead of hoping to sign a fa?  Worked out ok with Lachlan Edwards

My thoughts exactly. If there aren't any worth it I get it, but I would like to see us show some initiative with that position other than signing scrubs. 

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

There's so few really good Kickers at both the NFL and collegiate level.  Relying on the UDFA pool and free agency just isn't all that viable anymore.  If there's one you like, a 7th round pick is fine.  If we don't end up with a 7th by draft day, its easy to trade down and pick one up. 

I’d be less upset about a kicker with a late pick than a QB. :) 

1 hour ago, Jets723 said:

Honestly you can find good kickers undrafted so I want to save all our picks for the OL/WR/edge/corner

But this is my general feeling. If all of their picks fall into these positional categories, I’ll probably be content. Need an OL in the first two picks, and again with one of the thirds, minimum. BAP WR, CB, EDGE, and OL with the rest of their picks. 

22 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

I’m not saying they are. I’m saying why take the chance of another team signing him. 

The Jets aren’t usually the desired destination, but an UDFA kicker will probably look at the Jets as one of his best opportunities to make an NFL roster. I really wouldn’t be too worried about the competition. I’d rather draft the developmental guys at other positions of need who might be more interested in signing elsewhere. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, slats said:

I’d be less upset about a kicker with a late pick than a QB. :) 

But this is my general feeling. If all of their picks fall into these positional categories, I’ll probably be content. Need an OL in the first two picks, and again with one of the thirds, minimum. BAP WR, CB, EDGE, and OL with the rest of their picks. 

The Jets aren’t usually the desired destination, but an UDFA kicker will probably look at the Jets as one of his best opportunities to make an NFL roster. I really wouldn’t be too worried about the competition. I’d rather draft the developmental guys at other positions of need who might be more interested in signing elsewhere. 

As I said. I’d rather draft the top rated kicker over the 200th ranked OL. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

As I said. I’d rather draft the top rated kicker over the 200th ranked OL. 

You did say that! 

I’d probably take the OL, or another position of need. Or the athlete that can play specials while he learns his position in the NFL. I don’t think they’ll have much trouble attracting the top undrafted kickers. But it wouldn’t bother me all that much if they draft a kicker late who goes on to be a solid starter. 

4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Except kickers are as big of ? as any other position bust wise.

Nugent failed here.

The dude TBay picked a few years back in the 3rd round was terrible from day one.

Im not saying to use a third rounder.  A seventh rounder for a great prospect doesnt seem like that big a price to pay

the draft "experts" consistently misjudge talent translating from College to the NFL and kicker is probably the most difficult due to differences in the ball and goal posts - agree if they were able to identify a good kicker, it's worth a draft pick but I think the odds are better finding a late round DT (Phillips), WR (Robbie, etc...

I am all about a new kicker but I would hate to spend a draft pick on one.  What ever happened to Justin Yoon from Notre Dame?  He was their leading points scorer and rarely missed.  For some reason I remember him going undrafted but attended a mini camp for the Bears or something.  Worth a shot.

8 hours ago, JetsMetsDevilsPA said:

I am all about a new kicker but I would hate to spend a draft pick on one.  What ever happened to Justin Yoon from Notre Dame?  He was their leading points scorer and rarely missed.  For some reason I remember him going undrafted but attended a mini camp for the Bears or something.  Worth a shot.

I thought Ficken was fine and deserves to at least compete for the job next summer

He single handedly is the reason Gase didn’t go 0-2 facing the sh tty Dolphins 

Considering how the kicker is a direct scoring player I’d be willing to use a pick on the most promising kicker past RD2. 
The Jets assesses that kickers were interchangeable in ‘19 and look what happened.

With the data showing declining accuracy among kickers now, there’s probably going to be more competition among teams to sign even competent kickers now.

On 1/13/2020 at 12:31 AM, GREENBEAN said:

I know it's not really the position most people want to use a draft pick on but are there any guys coming out that have people thinking he might be worth using a 5th or 6th rdr on?  Someone with boat loads of potential?  We were literally a FG kicker away from a .500 season. 

Here's what's looking like the top guy at the moment but I don't know too much about this subject. Any love for "Hot Rod" ??? 

Any love for anyone else? 

Rodrigo Blankenship, K, Georgia  
Height: 6-1. Weight: 191.  
Projected Round (2020): 4-6. 

12/21/19: The Georgia "Hot Rod" was on a streak of perfection before a miss in overtime cost Georgia a loss to South Carolina. He hit a long of 50 yards this season and is 25-for-31 (81 percent). He has three misses in the 40-yard range (8-of-11) and one in the 50-yard range (3-of-5). 

6/22/19: In 2018, Blankenship was 19-of-23 on his field goals with a long of 53. He was excellent in 2017, connecting on 87 percent of his field goals. That season Blankenship had a long of 55 yards and was 2-for-2 in the 50+ range. He was 4-of-7 in the 40-yard range.

Do a video on that. 8 million views later lol.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

That SOB Bossman Max.  Always overworking his meal ticket.  
Don't worry GREENBEAN you're just the flavor of the month, like [mention=9582]T0mShane[/mention] used to be. 

Tom Shane isn’t a flavor anymore? Someone should let him know.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Haha 1

It doesn't work that way unless the missed kick was in the final game. When one variable changes, everything else changes. This fallacy needs to die. 

Destroy the fallacy!!!

Of course you’re right but that’s the figurative unprovable. in a literal sense and in in a rudimentary simple way it’s an accurate statement.

The fallacy will never die by the way.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Ian Fleming said:

Considering how the kicker is a direct scoring player I’d be willing to use a pick on the most promising kicker past RD2. 
The Jets assesses that kickers were interchangeable in ‘19 and look what happened.

With the data showing declining accuracy among kickers now, there’s probably going to be more competition among teams to sign even competent kickers now.

Because outside of a very small handful of guys like Justin Tucker and Josh Lambo, they are interchangeable.

Not to mention that most of these kickers who are drafted within the first 4-5 rounds typically go on to have completely mediocre careers or are flatout terrible.

The Vikings have burned multiple picks on kickers over the last 5+ years (Blair Walsh, Daniel Carlson, Kaare Vedvik, etc) and not a single one has worked out for them.

I’d be beyond pissed if Douglas drafted a kicker any higher than the 7th round. Especially in a draft as deep at WR and OL as this one.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Because outside of a very small handful of guys like Justin Tucker and Josh Lambo, they are interchangeable.

Not to mention that most of these kickers who are drafted within the first 4-5 rounds typically go on to have completely mediocre careers or are flatout terrible.

The Vikings have burned multiple picks on kickers over the last 5+ years (Blair Walsh, Daniel Carlson, Kaare Vedvik, etc) and not a single one has worked out for them.

I’d be beyond pissed if Douglas drafted a kicker any higher than the 7th round. Especially in a draft as deep at WR and OL as this one.

There are always serviceable kickers available off the street

This is overreaction to the fact that Gase essentially blew the season by signing the worst kicker ever one week before week 1

• Upvote 1