Have you ever met a Hall of Famer in any sport?

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Muhammad Ali, Jim Brown, Bob Cousy, Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, Ted Williams, Ken Griffey Jr., Bob Gibson, George Brett, Randy Johnson, Derek Jeter, Tom Seaver, Bob Feller, Whitey Ford, Yogi Berra, Steve Carlton, Jim Thome, Frank Thomas, Greg Maddux, Harmon Killebrew, George Kell, Enos Slaughter, Phil Rizzutto, Pee Wee Reese, among others.

I'm very lucky and blessed.  

jealous sign language GIF by Sign with Robert

• Upvote 1

I got you all beat. I shook hands with Bronko Nagurski when I was a young kid and we stopped for gas in International Falls, Minnesota where he owned a gas station. He had really big powerful hands and was quite intimidating but had a bemused smile. Later on I learned that he had the biggest ring size of any championship NFL player at 19 1/2! Of course, I never saw him play or I wouldn't be here to tell the tale.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

jealous sign language GIF by Sign with Robert

In case anyone was wondering:

Biggest jerks on the list:  Reggie Jackson, Tom Seaver, Derek Jeter.

Nicest guys on the list:  Pee Wee, Rizzutto, Ford, Berra, Thome, Maddux.   Nearly all the old-school Yankees were super nice.  

Most intimidating:  Bob Gibson, followed by Randy Johnson. 

Most talkative/loudest:  Feller, then Slaughter.  

Most awe-inspiring:  Ali, followed by Jim Brown.  

• Upvote 2

I have a rule about bugging celebs in public.  But I sat across a couple of tables from Clyde Drexler in a Chinese restaurant once.  "Quiet Clyde" would have worked just as well as the The Glide."   Had to sit in front of Bill Walton once and hear him give a speech for almost two hours.  But it was before he started combining LSD with all those painkillers he uses for his back... so he wasn't permafried  He was fairly consistent and alert for once.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Muhammad Ali, Jim Brown, Bob Cousy, Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, Ted Williams, Ken Griffey Jr., Duke Snider, Sandy Koufax, Bob Gibson, George Brett, Randy Johnson, Derek Jeter, Tom Seaver, Bob Feller, Whitey Ford, Yogi Berra, Steve Carlton, Jim Thome, Frank Thomas, Greg Maddux, Harmon Killebrew, George Kell, Enos Slaughter, Phil Rizzutto, Pee Wee Reese, Reggie Jackson, among others.

Biggest jerks on the list:  Reggie Jackson, Tom Seaver, Derek Jeter.

Nicest guys on the list:  Pee Wee, Rizzutto, Ford, Berra, Thome, Maddux. 

Most intimidating:  Bob Gibson.

Most awe-inspiring:  Ali.  

I see a few more I met from your list.

Have Aaron, Duke Snider, Bob Gibson, Whitey.

I have heard that from everyone I know about Reggie but the times I met him he was actually nice.  I've seen Jeter in different situations, when the public is around he acts like he does in front of tv cameras but privately I've seen him let loose a little bit but he does come across as thinking he's better than everyone.

Yogi and Whitey were awesome

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I see a few more I met from your list.

Have Aaron, Duke Snider, Bob Gibson, Whitey.

I have heard that from everyone I know about Reggie but the times I met him he was actually nice.  I've seen Jeter in different situations, when the public is around he acts like he does in front of tv cameras but privately I've seen him let loose a little bit but he does come across as thinking he's better than everyone.

Yogi and Whitey were awesome

Reggie has his good days.  But I've met or been around him a few times and 90 % of the time he was a narcissistic prick.  

Jeter used to be nice.  A-Rod too.  I didn't meet A-Rod but my Dad him when both Jeter and A-Rod were still just kids.  They changed a lot over the years.  

I actually got to have a catch with Rizzuto when I was a kid.  In Cooperstown.  Dream come true moment for an 11-year old.  That's how nice that dude was.  He'd ask my Dad how the family was and remember us all by name, despite very infrequent interactions.  

Oh, forgot one.  Red Schoendienst.  Put him in the "nicest" group.  He and his wife were an absolute joy to talk to.  Red's wife would ask my Dad how my sister's swim team season was going.  Players and their wives from that era were just totally different and such pleasant people to talk to.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Reggie has his good days.  But I've met or been around him a few times and 90 % of the time he was a narcissistic prick.  

Jeter used to be nice.  A-Rod too.  I didn't meet A-Rod but my Dad did when the two of them were still just kids.  They changed a lot over the years.  

I actually got to have a catch with Rizzuto when I was a kid.  In Cooperstown.  Dream come true moment for an 11-year old.  That's how nice that dude was.  He'd ask my Dad how the family was and remember us all by name, despite very infrequent interactions.  

Oh, forgot one.  Red Schoendienst.  Put him in the "nicest" group.  He and his wife were an absolute joy to talk to.  Red's wife would ask my Dad how my sister's swim team season was going.  Players and their wives from that era were just totally different and such pleasant people to talk to.

I have met ARod, should be a HOFer but won't because of PEDs.  Not a great guy.

I loved Phil as a kid watching Yankee games, I wish I met him.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

I have a rule about bugging celebs in public. 

The one surefire time you should never EVER bother them, other than a very brief hello, is when they're having a meal with their family.  Gotta just leave them alone.  

Sometimes the celebrity life seems far more glamorous than it actually is.  As Johnny Cash once said "Being famous means having to worry about everything.....except money."  Not sure that's always a great tradeoff.  

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Muhammad Ali, Jim Brown, Bob Cousy, Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, Ted Williams, Ken Griffey Jr., Duke Snider, Sandy Koufax, Warren Spahn, Juan Marichal, Bob Gibson, George Brett, Randy Johnson, Derek Jeter, Tom Seaver, Bob Feller, Whitey Ford, Yogi Berra, Steve Carlton, Jim Thome, Frank Thomas, Greg Maddux, Harmon Killebrew, George Kell, Enos Slaughter, Phil Rizzutto, Pee Wee Reese, Reggie Jackson, Orlando Cepeda among others.

All fans of the fapathon thread I guess?

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Jeter used to be nice.  A-Rod too.  I didn't meet A-Rod but my Dad him when both Jeter and A-Rod were still just kids.  They changed a lot over the years.  

When I was a kid my baseball hero was Dale Murphy.  He was from my hometown and he won back to back MVPs.  Portland still have a big baseball following... this was before all the hipsters moved in.  The Mariners were a joke and always will be.  But you could always turn on the Superstaion TBS and watch Dale Murphy crush homers out.  When I got into baseball I became a first baseman and moved on to Donnie Baseball.  But I wish I'd met Dale Murphy before the world forgot about him.  He was a atar once and a hell of a guy.  And baseball doesn't really have superstars like that any more.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Jetsfan80s most intimidating reminded me I met Mike Tyson too.  Without a doubt the most intimidating person I have ever met.  He was really nice but there was just this vibe about him, this craziness.  

Yep.  Never met him but I've heard others report the same.  Not only his physical stature but his cultural stature.  He can't go to any of the nearly 200 countries on the planet without being recognized.  He's Ex-President famous.  That adds to the intimidation factor.  

• Upvote 2

I worked for Al Cervi as a coach at his basketball camp.  Al is in the NBA Hall of Fame.  He used to hang around at night and tell all of us coaches stories about his time in the NBA.  I used to run a camp for kids in grades 4-6 at the school where I coached and Al came and spoke to the campers for free and then I took him to lunch.  He was a great guy.

I also met Pete Rose in the 90s.  I know he is not technically a HOF but obviously we know why he isn’t in.  My older cousin used to work at one of his restaurants in Florida.  He hated people coming up to him for autographs but liked by my cousin.  When I went down there he was very nice and gave me a bunch of autographs 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yep.  Never met him but I've heard others report the same.  Not only his physical stature but his cultural stature.  He can't go to any of the nearly 200 countries on the planet without being recognized.  He's Ex-President famous.  That adds to the intimidation factor.  

Plus, didn't he kill baby Hitler with a shovel? 

• Haha 1

Gretzky, Jordan & Montana off the top of my head as actual HOFers....as for future inductees I met and interviewed Brady in Montreal a couple of years back.....told him afterward I was a Jets fan....he just threw his head back and yelled “a Jets fan,,,,,whaaaaat”....I couldn’t tell if it was mock disgust or actual disgust.

also met OBj In May this year, he was cool...to,d him I was a Jets fan and he gave me a thumbs up and said “ see you week 2”

there may be others that I can’t remember 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I met Bradshaw. He was a speaker at an event my company was running. He isn't  as stupid as he seems on tv. 

Makes sense.  He seems to be self-aware about the aspects of himself that are "stupid".  That's more than you can say about most actually stupid people.

If you're aware about how dumb you are, you're not that dumb.  If that makes sense.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Makes sense.  He seems to be self-aware about the aspects of himself that are "stupid".  That's more than you can say about most actually stupid people.

If you're aware about how dumb you are, you're not that dumb.  If that makes sense.  

Makes total sense ...he’s probably made way more money playing dumb than he ever did playing football 

fair play to him

• Upvote 1