Have you ever met a Hall of Famer in any sport?

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

In case anyone was wondering:

Biggest jerks on the list:  Reggie Jackson, Tom Seaver, Derek Jeter.

Nicest guys on the list:  Pee Wee, Rizzutto, Ford, Berra, Thome, Maddux.   Nearly all the old-school Yankees were super nice.  

Most intimidating:  Bob Gibson, followed by Randy Johnson. 

Most talkative/loudest:  Feller, then Slaughter.  

Most awe-inspiring:  Ali, followed by Jim Brown.  

Not surprising: Jeter being a douche. You hear that a lot.

Most surprising: Greg Maddux being nice. He has that douchey face

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

In case anyone was wondering:

Biggest jerks on the list:  Reggie Jackson, Tom Seaver, Derek Jeter.

Nicest guys on the list:  Pee Wee, Rizzutto, Ford, Berra, Thome, Maddux.   Nearly all the old-school Yankees were super nice.  

Most intimidating:  Bob Gibson, followed by Randy Johnson. 

Most talkative/loudest:  Feller, then Slaughter.  

Most awe-inspiring:  Ali, followed by Jim Brown.  

I was working at a country club as a lifeguard and Phil and I crossed paths at the end of my shift and he was mid 80s and asked if I could bring a bag to clubhouse for him. Tipped me $5 and died a few months later. Very few words but could immediately tell he was a Nice man. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Lizard King said:

I was working at a country club as a lifeguard and Phil and I crossed paths at the end of my shift and he was mid 80s and asked if I could bring a bag to clubhouse for him. Tipped me $5 and died a few months later. Very few words but could immediately tell he was a Nice man. 

Good Story.  That’s sounds great.  It’s always the best when they are nice and act like you are worth their time

Living in Dallas, we've had a few here.  I've met Mike Modano in Hockey and Joe Klecko (not in the HOF, but should be). Klecko is the only signature I've ever gotten.  I coach youth soccer and have coached Tony Dorsett's daughter.  Emmitt Smith's daughter.  Charles Haley's daughter.  So I have met a few.

I also met Mark Sanchez, Dustin Keller and Nick Mangold the night before Mark's first game in Houston.

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Not surprising: Jeter being a douche. You hear that a lot.

Most surprising: Greg Maddux being nice. He has that douchey face

He doesn't look like a pro athlete, that's for sure.  He was quiet but nice.  Harmon Killebrew doesn't look like a former 500+ HR hitter either.  He looks like a bank teller in person.  Also a super nice guy.  

It's a good thing normal people are taught not to judge people  on their face, at least not initially.  Yours is very punchable.  

• Upvote 1

At 19 years old I waited tables at a Friday’s in random surburbia NJ; summer break from college; wearing the red-white clown shirt with suspenders, all geeked up.  Derek Jeter came in with his parents for lunch, white mom,  black dad.  He was young but was already a megastar in his prime.

It wasn’t a frenzy but the steady stream of intermittent autograph seeking made me feel bad for him.  His parents seemed to enjoy it but he didn’t make eye contact but quietly signed everything. So I felt bad for him...and then I asked for an autograph, still bothers me that I did that.

But the redeeming thing is I did have him make it out to my grandmother whose father pitched for the Yankees in the 1920 World Series, “Hackensack Harry Harper”; who was legit friends with The Babe (or at least carousing buddies).  Babe came up to stay at the family farm in Sussex County a few times and we still play poker with the chips he played with.

There used to be some memorabilia in the barn loft, some old leather mits with short fingers, uncomfortable wool game jerseys and literally baseballs rolling around signed by the entire teams with a big “Babe Ruth” in middle center between the seems.  At some point over the years those baseballs disappeared and my country bumpkin cousin built a new house...?‍♂️ 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Jetsfan80 - that is sick man!!!  - thanks for sharing, great read! What a cool thing to be a part of.  You’re Dad = badass ? 

Dude he's my hero.  He's like Forrest Gump but with an above average IQ.  He just stumbles into a lot of awesome stuff.  

And my Mom is an absolute saint for putting up with all of that sh*t.  She had to run the company while he and I were off living out childhood dreams, lol.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I met a lot of the 90s Bills when they were still playing and before they got too famous and got their autographs.  My friends parent got us in before a practice and had some connection with the organization, I forget why.

nicest.  Thurman Thomas, Marv Levy and James Lofton.  Took their time to talk with kids.

not so nice.  Bruce Smith and Jim Kelly who both gave us attitude and shoved us off.  Kelly gave off the rock star I’m too cool vibe and Bruce just seemed like he wanted to kill everyone.  Dude was scary.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Hael said:

not so nice.  Bruce Smith and Jim Kelly who both gave us attitude and shoved us off.  Kelly gave off the rock star I’m too cool vibe and Bruce just seemed like he wanted to kill everyone.  Dude was scary.

Jim Kelly definitely seems like he was an arrogant kid in his 20s but turned into a nice, cordial guy as he got older.  Could be wrong though.  

16 hours ago, nico002 said:

I walked by Tom Brady in the park Lol

200.gif

13 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The one surefire time you should never EVER bother them, other than a very brief hello, is when they're having a meal with their family.  Gotta just leave them alone.  

Sometimes the celebrity life seems far more glamorous than it actually is.  As Johnny Cash once said "Being famous means having to worry about everything.....except money."  Not sure that's always a great tradeoff.  

When I was a kid and teachers would ask the class, “what do you want to be when you grow up?” There were always kids who wanted to be a “famous rock star” or “famous movie star.” Fame always had some allure but back then kids realized it needed to be attached to some form of achievement. You ask kids today what they want to be, many answer “famous.” When you ask “for what?” You just get this dumb look back. Fame has become a goal unto itself for some reason I will never understand.

The best combination is to be rich and anonymous.

• Upvote 1

Dr. J went to Hempstead HS with my mother’s youngest sister; when he was on the Virginia Squires they would hang out when he was in town...he was also a regular playing ball at Kennedy Park and it was major cool points for me and my brother when the other kids heard him say to us “tell your Aunt Pat I’ll call her later”...

Howard Davis, Jr. moved to Hempstead after he won gold at the 1976 Olympics; I used to cut his grass

Met Jim Brown at a lacrosse clinic@KP and Willis Reed at a basketball clinic @Hofstra.

• Upvote 2

Met Harry Carson once. Nothing interesting. He was hired to do meet and greets for a conference I was intending. I got a photo with him and an autographed HOF helmet.

A better story is when I met Mark Grace when he was a broadcaster for the D'backs (this was before his second DUI arrest and firing). Obviously, not a HOFer but it was still cool to meet a guy whose baseball card I was super excited to pull from packs as a kid ('88 Donruss).

We were both sleeping with the same girl at the time (found that out later), she worked for the Phillies and the D'Backs were in town. The three of us met in a bar in Philly after the game. Later in the evening, some other friends joined (I think I texted everyone I knew on my RAZR telling them to come quick and have drinks with Mark Grace). Anyway we were all drinking, having a blast, and he was super nice and funny. Eventually I worked up the courage to ask him about "slumpbusting." Some of you may remember that he was infamous as a player for being an advocate of this practice. Basically, whenever a Cubs player was on a slump, Mark would take the guys out for a night of debauchery that ended with the slumping player bedding the biggest gal he could find. This was how slumps were broken in the late 80s/early 90s Cubs in the pre-#metoo world. You can google and easily find interviews from those days of him discussing it. He confirmed the practice with a laugh and without a hint of shame. Very funny.

Later that night, one of my (now former) friends and a complete animal, pulled the shirt down on one of the girls, exposing her briefly. Mark Grace looked around the table and said "I just saw that girl's Oreos." We died laughing. Not so funny in sober retrospect, but that has stuck with me.

PS: That former friend has since been fired from two jobs for sexual harassment. No surprise there.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Il Mostro said:

Casey Stengel, Tom Seaver, Sparky Anderson (sat next to him on a flight and had great conversation about leadership), Jim Brown (we went to the same car wash for many years, always willing to chat while waiting for our cars), Magic Johnson.  

Casey Stengel?  Tell us more!

23 hours ago, CTM said:

I met LT once when I was young, maybe middle school at a charity basketball event.  He was in his car, hazy on whether he was coming or going but it was essentially right before or after the game and the only thing he said was "get the **** away from the car kids" and up his window went. As a Jets fan I didn't care but some of the kids with LT jerseys on seemed pretty upset lol

oh yeah I saw LT once too at an offense defense football camp in SUNY SB 

he showed up late but the kids followed him around like he was the Pope or something

they eventually gathered us all up and he gave a rousing speech about how kids shouldn't do crack

he really was just playing himself in Any Given Sunday

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Joe Klecko ALWAYS counts on JetNation!

As he should to all of us.

Its a shame, between his court case and that hes not on national tv he doesn't stand a chance.

Look at those who are on pregame shows, Cowher and Johnson going in over someone like Flores who should have gone in too.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Walt Frazier was my basketball Idol growing up and he became and was my client several years back.

Now that was sweet... :) 

Clyde was one I idolized back in the day.  How is he in person?  Besides the coolest guy in the room?