Doesn't the post-season drive you nuts?

Dcronin

1 hour ago, GREENBEAN said:

2019 was an unbelievably crazy year with injuries. We had someone go to IR almost every week the final 8 games. Some weeks 2.   That’s insane.

There was not one game after the first 1/4 of the season that any team we played had more starters out than us. And we didn’t only have starters out. We had their replacements out and in some cases even THEIR replacements out.

I highly doubt we were winning the Super Bowl this year but we certainly didn’t see what this full roster could have done.

Preach it, Brother Bean.

These #nevergasers are running out of straws to grasp.

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

On 1/13/2020 at 6:39 PM, Philc1 said:

Yes because 31 other teams didn’t have injuries and a bunch of back up qbs didn’t win games this year

No, 31 other teams didnt have injuries like we did.  

And a bunch of teams didnt play QBs off their practice squad against teams like the Browns, Pats etc

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Jets723 said:

Poor drafting in the middle rounds killed us.  You can get away with it in one draft but having many will kill your depth and leave holes.  Although I am optimistic for our future 

yep.  everyone knows who the top guys are but it's the guys in the middle and late rounds that round out the teams.  the sad thing too is even when idzik or mac went after players to fill needs they just didn't pan out.  had guys like ardarius or hansen worked out then maybe we don't talk about needing to draft a wr this draft.  and since those guys didn't work out means their picks could've been used for oline beef.  mac wasted so many picks on bad offensive players or dline.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, SAR I said:

The Jets would have been 11-5 and won the AFC East on tiebrakers with the Patriots this year if not for the injuries.

The 'clowns' are the blind #nevergasers.  It's cool.  Next year when we get hats and t-shirts, you get a crying towel.

SAR I

i don't necessarily agree with this.  the injuries were a big problem but the bigger problem was not having the depth to fill in for the injured payer.  about the only injury that really counted were darnold's and possibly modely's.  if the team was built right they would've easily absorbed winters and osemele.  the fact that journeymen replaced those guys means they weren't that good to begin with.

14 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

The Niners held the 2nd overall pick in the draft.
You’re exactly right. It’s year to year. Even all of the stress about next year’s schedule is premature. (It is looking ugly though lol)

2019 was an unbelievably crazy year with injuries. We had someone go to IR almost every week the final 8 games. Some weeks 2.
That’s insane.

There was not one game after the first 1/4 of the season that any team we played had more starters out than us. And we didn’t only have starters out. We had their replacements out and in some cases even THEIR replacements out.

I highly doubt we were winning the Super Bowl this year but we certainly didn’t see what this full roster could have done.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

i certainly agree that injuries played a huge role in the jets record but at the same time i don't see where the talent from the start was high enough to consider them a playoff team.  imo only darnold's and mosely's injuries adversely impacted the jets.  the injuries to guys like winters, osemele, trumaine actually improved things by giving playing time to younger players and guys who maybe never got a shot to start.  in a sense the injuries will help this team achieve higher goals next season.

• Upvote 1

Yes, despite all of the other injuries, the Jets might have squeaked out a few more wins with a better backup QB, but the fact of the matter is that the roster has filled with holes on both sides of the ball, and it's not a stretch to say that LSU currently has a better starting 22 than the Jets.  

Douglas has his work cut out for him.  

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Jets723 said:

Poor drafting in the middle rounds killed us.  You can get away with it in one draft but having many will kill your depth and leave holes.  Although I am optimistic for our future 

middle rounds don't really matter. It's rounds 1-3 where you need to hit on guys that help your team. rounds 4-7 if you get 1 guy who sticks your doing fine. 

Our biggest problem is we haven't had a second rounder amount to anything since david harris. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, funaz said:

middle rounds don't really matter. It's rounds 1-3 where you need to hit on guys that help your team. rounds 4-7 if you get 1 guy who sticks your doing fine. 

Our biggest problem is we haven't had a second rounder amount to anything since david harris. 

You misunderstood.  I meant rounds 2-7 in that range 

5 hours ago, rangerous said:

i don't necessarily agree with this.  the injuries were a big problem but the bigger problem was not having the depth to fill in for the injured payer.  about the only injury that really counted were darnold's and possibly modely's.  if the team was built right they would've easily absorbed winters and osemele.  the fact that journeymen replaced those guys means they weren't that good to begin with.

Thin roster = Maccagnan

1-7 = Injuries

6-2 = Gase

SAR I

• Thumb Down 1

Let's hope things go back to the mean regarding injuries. CJ Mosely is literally the best defensive player the Jets have had since Darelle Revis! 

We wouldn't have seen so many 3rd down conversions with Neville Hewitt chasing his man that got open again. 

How exciting was it to watch a player like Mosely dominate the Bills offense? I'm hoping that the injuries we suffered results in Gase/Williams finding some depth players that got great experience. Let's go take this division next year,  think we have the best QB. 

• Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Let's hope things go back to the mean regarding injuries. CJ Mosely is literally the best defensive player the Jets have had since Darelle Revis! 

We wouldn't have seen so many 3rd down conversions with Neville Hewitt chasing his man that got open again. 

How exciting was it to watch a player like Mosely dominate the Bills offense? I'm hoping that the injuries we suffered results in Gase/Williams finding some depth players that got great experience. Let's go take this division next year,  think we have the best QB. 

Bills game 1st half with Mosley, 0 points.

Bills game 2nd half without Mosley, 17.

On 1/13/2020 at 7:53 PM, nyjunc said:

We lost week 1 because Sam was playing with mono and we lost CJ Mosely during that game.  We then played 3 games with a practice squad QB, we had 11 different OL start, our TE played one game.  That's just a few of the injuries, to say injuries meant nothing is ludicrous.

Pretty sure Enunwa was supposed to be our number one WR and he only played a couple games. 

• Upvote 2

On 1/13/2020 at 5:11 PM, Dcronin said:

As a fan of the Jets, I mean. With our current roster.

It's just maddening to me, the disparity between the teams still alive and what we have.

We have such a lack of talent at every position, it's almost like we're not a pro team. Injuries have contributed greatly to this, and Darnold is hard to judge with no time to throw, but every single place I look, I see bigger, faster, stronger. We are boys among men!

Hopefully Joe Douglas sees this too.

considering we went 6-2 the second half of the season and knocked 2 teams out of the playoffs I don't think we are that far off. Saying we are not a pro team is a bit over the top.

On 1/13/2020 at 6:11 PM, Dcronin said:

As a fan of the Jets, I mean. With our current roster.

It's just maddening to me, the disparity between the teams still alive and what we have.

We have such a lack of talent at every position, it's almost like we're not a pro team. Injuries have contributed greatly to this, and Darnold is hard to judge with no time to throw, but every single place I look, I see bigger, faster, stronger. We are boys among men!

Hopefully Joe Douglas sees this too.

@Pac

On 1/13/2020 at 6:52 PM, slimjasi said:

We have plenty of holes on our roster, but I disagree with the overall outlook. 

There is a fine line between going 6-10 and 10-6. The league is year to year. We can be right where we want to be next season if we have a good draft and Free Agency period. 

(e.g. The Packers were 6-9-1 last year)

There's also a big disparity between contenders and non-contenders.  It isn't just about going 10-6.  It's about building a roster that can sustain success for years and become a perennial contender.  Several of the teams that made the playoffs this year look the part for that.  We're miles and miles away from that.  

This desire to go 9-7 by any means possible is one of the most annoying things I read all the time here.  It's OK to bottom out sometimes in the interest of building for the long-term future.  But Jets fans have been completely averse to that idea.  And I think that has to at least play a small role in the way teams have been built here.  The Johnson's have always been trying to "win the offseason" and the back pages, to the detriment of the franchise.  

Even when we've been semi-successful as a franchise (2009-10, for instance), it's short-lived because the team was built to only have a small window.  Granted, had Tannenbaum had better drafts and replaced the QB quicker, maybe some of that success would have continued.  But this mentality that it's a desired thing to stay in that 7-9 thru 9-7 range is very flawed.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

considering we went 6-2 the second half of the season and knocked 2 teams out of the playoffs I don't think we are that far off. Saying we are not a pro team is a bit over the top.

The schedule is likely about to get quite difficult next year.  That "6-2" bit really doesn't mean anything to me.  We were 7-9 overall, and 7-6 with Darnold under center.  So we were the very definition of mediocre in every way against a weak schedule.  

We're VERY far off, and hopefully Douglas understands that.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The schedule is likely about to get quite difficult next year.  That "6-2" bit really doesn't mean anything to me.  We were 7-9 overall, and 7-6 with Darnold under center.  So we were the very definition of mediocre in every way against a weak schedule.  

That 6-2 is fools gold - anyone that watched the team play knows that - and even the troll taking over these threads knows that to be true.

It’s a silly conversation really.  There is very little talent on this team, especially the offense and Adam Gase is not a good HC.  There is little way around those two facts.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, FidelioJet said:

That 6-2 is fools gold - anyone that watched the team play knows that - and even the troll taking over these threads knows that to be true.

It’s a silly conversation really.  There is very little talent on this team, especially the offense and Adam Gase is not a good HC.  There is little way around those two facts.

^^^ This guy gets it

40 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

There's also a big disparity between contenders and non-contenders.  It isn't just about going 10-6.  It's about building a roster that can sustain success for years and become a perennial contender.  Several of the teams that made the playoffs this year look the part for that.  We're miles and miles away from that.  

This desire to go 9-7 by any means possible is one of the most annoying things I read all the time here.  It's OK to bottom out sometimes in the interest of building for the long-term future.  But Jets fans have been completely averse to that idea.  And I think that has to at least play a small role in the way teams have been built here.  The Johnson's have always been trying to "win the offseason" and the back pages, to the detriment of the franchise.  

Even when we've been semi-successful as a franchise (2009-10, for instance), it's short-lived because the team was built to only have a small window.  Granted, had Tannenbaum had better drafts and replaced the QB quicker, maybe some of that success would have continued.  But this mentality that it's a desired thing to stay in that 7-9 thru 9-7 range is very flawed.

I have no desire to go 9-7. 

I want to win the division and get a bye and I want to build a team that can compete for that status year in and year out. 

I'm just pointing out that the difference between being a 7-9 team and a wildcard team (which is where the most optimistic people had us before the start of the year) is surprisingly small. 

Also, I think a huge reason that we have never been able to build a perennial contender is that we have always had unsustainable QB play. Even when we have been good in recent times, we have either had veteran QBs with a limited window (Vinny, Fitz, Favre) or bad QBs (Sanchez). 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

I have no desire to go 9-7. 

I want to win the division and get a bye and I want to build a team that can compete for that status year in and year out. 

I'm just pointing out that the difference between being a 7-9 team and a wildcard team (which is where the most optimistic people had us before the start of the year) is surprisingly small. 

Also, I think a huge reason that we have never been able to build a perennial contender is that we have always had unsustainable QB play. Even when we have been good in recent times, we have either had veteran QBs with a limited window (Vinny, Fitz, Favre) or bad QBs (Sanchez). 

100 % agreed.  But we had every opportunity to move on from Sanchez.  Russell Wilson was right there for the taking in Round 2 of the 2012 draft, with Terry Bradway reportedly pounding the table for him.

Granted, Russell wouldn't have quite been Russell here under Rex Ryan.  But he'd still have been an elite QB.  Rex didn't exactly stand in the way of Tyrod Taylor having the best season of his career in Buffalo (20 TDs/6 INTs, 63.7 Comp %, 8.0 YPA in 2015).  

But no.  We were worried about Mark's feelings and gave him an extension instead.  All our QB failures have been our franchise's own damn fault, and not unlucky circumstances.

• Upvote 1

The NFL as whole sucks azz. It doesn't take much to go on a run. The Texans Bill Obrien traded Jadaveon Clowney & they just gave up 51 points to the Chiefs. Hell, if that was my coach I'd want him fired! 

But announcers kiss his azz all day long because he worked under Belichick. You need a coach that can get 100% weekly. That's the difference in this league when all things are equal. How many times during a regular season game do you hear the team didn't show up? 

We have our QB. We showed at times we could put up some points with very little overall talent & a pretty bad (32nd ranked) Oline. 

The defense should be a lot better with more experience at CB (Bless with a full camp), even Hairston had his moments. CJ will be back, I have a feeling for 6 million (that's cheap) we keep Avery Williamson, I mean look what happened to our LB core last year. We got some guys up front that were balling, #2 stopping the run. QW with a full offseason in the weight room & his 2nd season. We need an edge pass rusher. 

2 offseason OLineman (Conklin + Thuney)? Maybe go 1 more year with Beachum even if we draft Thomas or Wirfs, put them at RT. We have a really high #2, I'm sure a WR drops there unexpectedly? Shenault? Riggs? Tee Higgins? Jefferson? Reagor?, Davis?, Smith? Johnson? 

There will be a lot of big boys up front drafted, CBs, Edge rushers, someone always slips. Joe Douglas needs to find our Devonte Adams in round 2, not Stephen Hill. All of the Jets talent issues today are laid at the feet of Tannenbaum, Idzik & Macc. Just horrible drafting from 2010- to now.

• Upvote 1

Play-offs LOL we haven't seen them in quite awhile. 

I sit back drink beer eat stale pretzels NOT in my basement @SAR I  and think what it would be like for a home playoff game or even travel to an away playoff game, and then my wife wakes me up. Who's playing who's winning not the NY Jets not this year, let me get another beer. 

joewilly12