Would you TRADE Sam for the #1 pick?

PepPep

Dumping Darnold before even giving him a mediocre group to work with would be insane. We’ve invested way too much in him to give up on him after a shaky second season behind an abysmal line. 

Invest heavily in the OL, improve that unit and then we can judge. Next season he will have to show signs of progress.

3 hours ago, PepPep said:

Hypothetical proposed by...

https://www.ganggreennation.com/2020/1/13/21033580/would-you-joe-burrow-sam-darnold-new-york-jets-hypothetical-trade

Personally, I would not. I know what we have in Sam, we are lucky enough to have gotten him and we need to build round him. As good as Burrow may become, he is a huge question mark. 

But I know there are a lot of Burrow fans out there and a lot of Darnold doubters who may disagree. 

Thoughts? 

My thought is you must be extremely  board. Do you have any idea how many tines this same thread has been posted?

• Upvote 1

We used to have The FitzMagic Cycle.  

Now we have the JamallPro Cycle.

1) Draft a player.

2) Player turns out to be really good.

3) Jet fans start debating how much draft booty we can trade the player for.

4) Repeat.

I swear if we had watched Derrick Henry have those last 8 games here, we'd have posters licking their chops over how whether we could get two 1st for him as opposed to a 1st and a 2nd.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, CTM said:

No

If there was a Peyton Manning type prospect I would but Burrow ain't that 

Totally agree. Tonight wasn't the best example but I think Trevor is a much better prospect. Burrow wouldn't be # 1 other years.

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

1) Draft a player.

4) Repeat.

I swear if we had watched Derrick Henry have those last 8 games here, we'd have posters licking their chops over how whether we could get two 1st for him as opposed to a 1st and a 2nd.

I missed the #2 part with Sam, LOL.

Actually I'd keep him though. If we traded him, what would I have left to talk about here? 

57 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I always thought you just were a critic of his ability. 

Really starting to get the feeling you just don’t like him at all and don’t expect him to be anything...at all. 

Like this is sort of turning into a T0m Shane/Jamal Adams ordeal.

You and I have talked about this many times before. I don’t “hate” any player. I root for the laundry. The only thing I care about is the Jets winning. 

Ive been consistent about him from day one. I wanted Mayfield or Jackson over him. Nothing would have made me happier then to have been wrong about them, and Darnold.

When we took him I thought we were getting Sanchez 2.0, another high pick (in this case also 3 2nd rounders) on a USC QB who came out early coming off a meh final season. So far, nothing has changed my mind.

I was the first one I know of here who questioned Darnold, and I got killed for it. I still do, but now there are a lot more who doubt him also.

I’ll say it one more time, I hope the kid turns out to be really good, because that will be great for the Jets. Two years in, I still don’t see it happening though.

Bottom line? I think his ceiling is not that high. He doesn’t strike me as any more then an average to slightly above talent.  Who knows how far that gets us...

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

You and I have talked about this many times before. I don’t “hate” any player. I root for the laundry. The only thing I care about is the Jets winning. 

Ive been consistent about him from day one. I wanted Mayfield or Jackson over him. Nothing would have made me happier then to have been wrong about them, and Darnold.

When we took him I thought we were getting Sanchez 2.0, another high pick (in this case also 3 2nd rounders) on a USC QB who came out early coming off a meh final season. So far, nothing has changed my mind.

I was the first one I know of here who questioned Darnold, and I got killed for it. I still do, but now there are a lot more who doubt him also.

I’ll say it one more time, I hope the kid turns out to be really good, because that will be great for the Jets. Two years in, I still don’t see it happening though.

Bottom line? I think his ceiling is not that high. He doesn’t strike me as any more then an average to slightly above talent.  Who knows how far that gets us...

Yeah I know but this part is what convinced me otherwise lmao.

1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

Actually I'd keep him though. If we traded him, what would I have left to talk about here? 

^ damn

9 hours ago, CTM said:

No

If there was a Peyton Manning type prospect I would but Burrow ain't that 

Even Peyton Manning was subject to much debate over whether he should be the top pick. Draft is a crapshoot. Trading Sam is classic “too clever by half” fan speak.

9 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The pick I’d want is the 2021 for Trevor Lawrence 

When Brady walks and NE starts Luke Falk next season and goes 1-15, Trevor will be theirs.

5 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

Literally the only reason to make that move is to reopen the rookie contract window. 

No. 

Jets fans love Jets players until it’s time to pay them.

4 hours ago, nycdan said:

1) Draft a player.

4) Repeat.

Jets fans remind me of the type of dynasty fantasy football players who are so obsessed with the future they’re always trading their best players for draft picks or younger talent. These types of players never win a championship because the future is always a year away.

I am skeptical of all QBs who have not yet developed into a franchise QB. It’s not about Sam, it’s about statistics. Even I think the idea of trading him now is lunacy. Even if you could get the overall 1 for him, which I doubt. GMs greatly overestimate their drafting prowess and thus also overvalue draft picks.

3 hours ago, jgb said:

Even Peyton Manning was subject to much debate over whether he should be the top pick. Draft is a crapshoot. Trading Sam is classic “too clever by half” fan speak.

The fact that old school scouts types got enamored by the tall inaccurate QB with a big arm is not relevant to my statement

Manning had tremendous pedigree, was a multi year starter and still has one of the best Qbase projections ever. 

Manning went first and rightfully so. I'm still pissed at that fat arrogant windbag Parcells who refused to promise to draft Manning in 97 which set the franchise back 15 years.

Draft isnt as much of a crap shoot when you approach it as something other than an arrogant dumbass

• Upvote 1