Prince Tega Wanogho, OT - Auburn

jetstream23

Do we have a thread on this guy? (Searched but didn't find one.)  I know we've discussed him in the OLine thread.

If I had to make an early, bold call I'd suggest this guy could be a Jets target if they either drop back from #11 or trade up from #48.  I think he's a guy just outside that top tier of OTs (Thomas, Wills, Wirfs) that the Jets could like because of his specific experience and capabilities in a Zone blocking scheme.  The guy is tall but not excessively powerful, nimble and athletic in space but not yet a great technician with his hands.  Reminds me a bit of D'Brick and could develop into a high-ceiling LT....but we might need a little patience (i.e. we should be bringing back Beachum on a 1-2 year deal for insurance anyway).

I might not mind a scenario where the Jets miss out on Wirfs, Wills, Thomas as well as Jeudy and Lamb......but find a way to score Ruggs and Prince or Higgins and Prince.

Thoughts on the Prince?

Prince-Tega-Wanogho-NFL-678x381.jpg.85f3c0aada06520723bf61557a01a7e5.jpg

Run Blocking - Best moments on tape come when he can take advantage of angles and executing zone concepts. Struggles to get everything working together (hands/hips/legs) to generate movement as a drive blocker. Has to become more deliberate about unlocking his hips, fitting his hands and keeping his feet engaged to stay square. 

Pass Blocking - Has all of the tools in terms of length and mobility to be outstanding but has to make technical improvements. Inconsistent reaching set points and he’s guilty of dropping his outside foot and opening the rush angle. Base tends to narrow and he can get top heavy in his sets, leading to a lack of body control. Growth is needed but the tools are obvious. 

Blocking in Space - Fluid and easy mover in space. Auburn moves him around the formation, even having him lined up in bunch sets on occasion to get him out on the perimeter. Has good reach and range overall. Strong candidate for longer pulls. 

Power - Needs to get stronger and learn how to roll his hips into contact. Too many stalemates when he needs to widen gaps. Guilty of getting squeezed down and stood up by linebackers on the second level. 

IQ - The Auburn offense relies on timing components with so many of its concepts and Tega Wanogho is generally on schedule. Like how he varies his strikes in pass pro. Need for technical improvements to utilize his physical gifts more consistently is needed. 

Feet - Has the foot speed needed to survive at left tackle but footwork and pass sets are still a work in progress. Can get lazy with his feet and they can lag behind his upper half. Has to be more deliberate about setting and maintaining a firm base. 

Hands - Love how he varies his strikes in pass protection but has to become more intentional about getting his hands fit in the run game. Grip strength is soft. Can be tardy with his hands in pass pro and allow rushers to work into his frame, robbing him of length. 

Balance - Easy mover but not a smooth operator when engaged. Has a bad tendency of narrowing his base and getting top heavy which leads to folding at the waste. Contact balance is below average and he needs to improve his core strength. 

Versatility - Fits best as a tackle in a zone run scheme. Not a strong candidate for a move inside to guard or at tackling in a gap/power scheme. Has upside as a run and pass blocker but shoring up his technique and getting stronger is a must. 

BEST TRAIT - Length/Mobility

WORST TRAIT - Technique/Play Strength 

RED FLAGS - None

NFL COMP - TJ Clemmings

Tega Wanogho is a toolsy prospect that is still new to playing football and that becomes apparent when studying his tape. While he has an ideal frame to develop, long arms and excellent functional athleticism, his technique and application of his physical gifts are very much a work in progress. Tega Wanogho has an exciting ceiling to reach should he develop and his tools make him an intriguing option. With that said, patience could be required and he profiles more as an eventual starter at tackler, ideally in a zone blocking run scheme. 

In a deep offensive tackle class in the 2020 NFL Draft, there may not be a more intriguing prospect than Auburn’s Prince Tega Wanogho.

This 2020 NFL Draft class is a rather deep one when discussing the offensive tackle position: from the technicians like Andrew Thomas and Jedrick Wills, to the highly athletic Tristan Wirfs, options abound for teams in need of offensive line help. One prospect to include in this list is Auburn’s Prince Tega Wanogho.

From Nigeria, Wanogho is not only new to the sport of football, but also to the offensive tackle position after being recruited to Auburn as a defensive end. A former basketball player, the athleticism is of Wanogho is evident when watching his film, but so is his newness to the sport and to the position at tackle.

This article will take an in-depth look at the Auburn big man, his film, traits, upside, and potential landing spots. Starting with his bio, we will get to know Wanogho as he preps for his future in the NFL and for the upcoming draft. He has one more game with the Tigers, a game he has not announced whether he will be playing or not, but he will be in Mobile Alabama for the Reese’s Senior Bowl next month.

The book on Prince Tega Wanogho

Committing to Auburn in February of 2015, Wanogho was the fourth overall rated prospect in the state of Alabama, and the ninth best defensive end prospect in the nation. A four star prospect coming out of high school, Wanogho was the 113th overall prospect in the entire nation.

After redshirting his freshman season in 2015 after recovering from an injury, Wanogho switched to the offensive side of the football and has put together quite the illustrious career with the Tigers. Wanogho graduated in December of 2018 from Auburn, but returned to school in order to improve his draft stock ahead of the 2020 NFL Draft.

He has been on the Academic Honor Roll every year of his career at Auburn, and saw his first action on the field in 2016 as a redshirt freshman. In 2017, Wanogho started the first four games of the season at left tackle for the Tigers; last year is when Wanogho burst onto the scene for the Tigers and entered into draft discussions.

Last year, Wanogho started every game at left tackle for the Tigers, and finished the year by being named to Pro Football Focus’ first team All-SEC. On the radar for the 2020 NFL Draft, Wanogho returned to Auburn where he has started every game for the Tigers in 2019 as well.

Wanogho’s strengths

There is no doubt about it: Prince Tega Wanogho has all of the tools to be a successful offensive tackle at the next level, having been born with all of the size and length in the world. He is a versatile player as well, as Auburn their left and right tackles in certain scenarios, so he has experience playing on both sides of the line.

On top of his athleticism, his Honor Roll status in the classroom translates to the field as well; it is evident that Wanogho is well aware of his responsibilities on a play-by-play basis, and plays with a cerebral savvy for the Tigers. He flashes on film with that athleticism and brilliance, but struggles to put it all together on a consistent basis.

When his tools are on full display for the best, Wanogho is able to stonewall edge rushers, often showing elite footwork to hang with pass rushers, sometimes five yards into the backfield. One thing that cannot be overlooked when discussing Wanogho, and maybe most importantly: he shows improvement week in and week out (especially in the run game).

After looking at Wanogho’s strengths, we now turn to the parts of his game that he must improve upon as he continues his path towards the 2020 NFL Draft.

Wanogho’s weaknesses

Watching Wanogho, it is evident that he has only been playing along the offensive line for four years as a redshirt senior; he is raw with his mechanics, but the upside with the Auburn tackle is tremendous. He flashes on film one play, then looks sloppy with his technique on the next; consistency is a massive concern when discussing Wanogho.

Listed at 6-7 and 307 pounds, Wanogho has a tremendous amount of athleticism for a man his side, however he struggles to use his massive length to his advantage. He can be a bit top-heavy at times, reaching towards defenders; this allows for him to be moved off the point of attack relatively easily. Looking at the Alabama game, Terrell Lewis and Anfernee Jennings were able to get around the edge early and often.

Hand placement is also another concern when looking at Wanogho’s tape, as he tends to struggle to get his hands inside the numbers of defenders, taking away leverage from his anchor. Wanogho also takes a shallow first step in pass protection, putting himself in compromising position right off the snap.

Overall, however, Wanogho is a big ball of clay that one NFL team will fall in love with his athleticism and upside, and hope that their offensive line coach can mold him into a star at the next level.

Closing the book on Wanogho

Right now, based on his film, Prince Tega Wanogho has a grade of a third round grade; this could change drastically, however, after he takes his trip to Indianapolis for the NFL Scouting Combine in March. He will test off the charts at the combine, and will rank near the top of the tackle class in his athletic testing.

With Wanogho, an NFL team will have to know what they are investing in and will need to take the good with the bad in hopes that they can mold him into an elite offensive tackle at the next level. With that being said, one desperate team may be willing to reach up and snag him as early as the first round by the time the 2020 NFL Draft rolls around.

He is ultra athletic and smart; these are two tools that lay a good foundation for a player who is both coachable and able to be molded into a starter in the National Football League. As Wanogho continues through his pre-draft process, starting with the Senior Bowl, to the combine, and into interviews with teams, his stock seems to be only on the rise.

He may be raw right now, but Wanogho is not one to bet against.

6d1ecb13797436a088f6ad4e068eecd5_USATSI_11517634.thumb.jpg.1317d20f5043c08b46e27a38c4fd01d7.jpg

3 hours ago, BCJet said:

He is the type of guy who would need to sit for 2020 and learn behind someone like Beachem and then hopefully take over LT in 2021.

Kind of like Edoga who everyone is giving up on. I'm not sure I remember the best Olineman at the Senior Bowl failing at the NFL level.

• Sympathy 1

He is my Rd. 2 target if we don't take an OT in Rd. 1 or if we trade down from 11 to the bottom of Rd. 1. He is, essentially my #4 OT along with Becton and Niang, depending on the type of player you want. I'm not a huge fan of A.Jackson. If Leatherwood was available, I'd be all in on him though. 

With Prince, I just love his athleticism/size combination. It just pops. And despite the fact that he needs to get stronger, that's mostly for the run game. When you watch him in pass protection, he is solid against bull rushers. He will need to sit behind Beachum (assuming Jets resign him) before he can play LT but he looks to be a prototypical NFL LT talent. I could see him beating out Edoga for the RT spot as a rookie (assuming we let Shell go and don't sign someone like Conklin).   

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

He is my Rd. 2 target if we don't take an OT in Rd. 1 or if we trade down from 11 to the bottom of Rd. 1. He is, essentially my #4 OT along with Becton and Niang, depending on the type of player you want. I'm not a huge fan of A.Jackson. If Leatherwood was available, I'd be all in on him though. 

With Prince, I just love his athleticism/size combination. It just pops. And despite the fact that he needs to get stronger, that's mostly for the run game. When you watch him in pass protection, he is solid against bull rushers. He will need to sit behind Beachum (assuming Jets resign him) before he can play LT but he looks to be a prototypical NFL LT talent. I could see him beating out Edoga for the RT spot as a rookie (assuming we let Shell go and don't sign someone like Conklin).   

Exactly how I feel about him. He’ll be a long term starter and functional as a rookie (In pass protection) but I’d rather he focus on getting stronger and providing tackle depth until he’s ready. 

• Upvote 1

If the Jets can find a way to pull off something like CeeDee Lamb and Prince Wanogho in the first 2 rounds I'd be very, very pleased.  Assuming the Jets have added somebody like a Scherff, Glasgow, Thuney or Conklin in FA this would be a great start and allow the Jets to come back with one of their Round 3 picks to get an interior OLine prospect.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, PS17 said:

I am officially a fan of Prince Tega Wanogho (coolest name in the draft by the way). His story...holy sh*t:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27399933/the-incredible-journey-auburn-prince-tega-wanogho

He got redflagged at the combine for a knee injury and they didn't allow him to participate. I'm not sure how bad it is since I haven't followed him but it definitely sends up a red flag.

1 hour ago, RobR said:

He got redflagged at the combine for a knee injury and they didn't allow him to participate. I'm not sure how bad it is since I haven't followed him but it definitely sends up a red flag.

I want a T in round one and WR/RB in rounds 2/3 so PTW isn’t exactly on my wishlist. But I came across the story and found it incredible and worth a share; I’m rooting for him. 

Definitely a target in rd.2 if we go WR or (holy sh*t not defense, in rd.1)

We need 2 tackles added by camp (whenever that is).

So it’s not out of the realm if possibility to see JD take a OT in rd.1 and another in rd.2 if there’s someone there he likes.

I’d rather not do that lol. Take another tackle in later rounds for depth.

On 1/15/2020 at 1:31 AM, David Harris said:

In every online mock I’ve done he’s been my 2nd round pick when available. I like the Brick comparison- same body type- we’ll see if his arms measure- athletic string bean pass protector with room for growth

Can he come in and start at RT on opening day?  I dont think Edoga is the answer there so I think that is a factor for the 2nd tier guys.