Look for These Four Players to Enter the Conversation at 11 for Jets

FA is not going to rescue is re the oline.  If one of the top tackles is there for us at 11 we have to take him, I don;t care who we sign in Fa.  Fixing the oline via fa almost never works, mac tried to do it for years.

We will have too be spectacularly unlucky for us not to take an Oline or Wr at 11. 

16 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

FA is not going to rescue is re the oline.  If one of the top tackles is there for us at 11 we have to take him, I don;t care who we sign in Fa.  Fixing the oline via fa almost never works, mac tried to do it for years.

We will have too be spectacularly unlucky for us not to take an Oline or Wr at 11. 

I stay up at nights looking at the offensive lineman in games like the Alabama versus Auburn, Alabama versus Michigan, LSU verses Clemson, and LSU versus Georgia games. I also studied the Ohio St game with Wisconsin.  I have seen some mock drafts that has Jedric Willis going 4 to the Giants.  Are these people Serious?!!!!  He should not even be an OT.    My God how can you say this player is the 4th best player in the country.   For me the Best and I mean Best OT i have seen is Wirfs.  Thomas is interesting because his feet and especially his hands are fantastic. It is his strength and getting into the play that worries me.  There are so many OT that are bunched together.  But only two who deserve a top 12 mention.  And right now That is Wirfs and Thomas. And Thomas is iffy.  Did not like he didn't want to play in his bowl game and maybe I was right that he wasn't giving his full effort on some plays.

I watched Jon Runyan last night and his improvement is incredible from his junior year. So much stronger and agile and we all know who his father is. In the same game Cesar Ruiz and Landon Dickerson at center looked good.  Ruiz needs to get a little stronger but he could move up. The same game Willis looked terrible. A few good moments but many terrible all on pass blocking. His strength is the ground game.  

29 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Tackles are very hard to find in FA.  Sometimes Gs free up because the current team figures they can draft a replacement in the second round or so.  They are often right.  Mac got this completely backward.  

Conklin could free up.  But realistically, the Jets should try and sign Beachum and Lewis now, cut Winters, walk from Shell, make a good run at Conklin and Thuney, and then see what the drafts gives them.  Worst come to worse, Beachum is a backup insurance policy. 

• Upvote 1
On 1/14/2020 at 11:21 AM, bitonti said:

I don't believe any 370 pound player goes in Rd 1 of the NFL draft 

size/speed ratio is a concern and he would be asked to pass block players like Brandon Graham 

Even Jon Ogden was 6'9" 345

there's a reason why the league doesn't employ Sumo wrestlers

perhaps this guy shows up at the combine and truly is a world class rare athlete at 370 

more likely he needs to lose weight and goes rd 2-3 

at this point in the process if it all falls worst case I'd take Ruggs to replace/upgrade on Robby and call it a day 

Big guys who get paid tend to become really big guys who are un-employed.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Tony The Wiz said:

The way I look at it is the first ten will be   1. Joe Burrow

2. Chase  Young

3.  Derrick Brown 

Based on what we know, even just based on physical qualities, you would you prefer at 3, Derrick Brown or Quinnen Williams?  Is it even close

That pick was really a complete disaster.  

4 minutes ago, varjet said:

Tackles are very hard to find in FA.  Sometimes Gs free up because the current team figures they can draft a replacement in the second round or so.  They are often right.  Mac got this completely backward.  

Conklin could free up.  But realistically, the Jets should try and sign Beachum and Lewis now, cut Winters, walk from Shell, make a good run at Conklin and Thuney, and then see what the drafts gives them.  Worst come to worse, Beachum is a backup insurance policy

That is the best case scenario, not the worst.

3 minutes ago, varjet said:

Based on what we know, even just based on physical qualities, you would you prefer at 3, Derrick Brown or Quinnen Williams?  Is it even close

That pick was really a complete disaster.  

Quinnen Williams was a Physical freak and young. He is not a disaster.  That is why you stay in college like Derrick Brown. He needed not to be put in the limelight.  He is too good physically to be a bust. Now Derrick Brown is a player and had been getting double teamed all year and still putting up numbers.  Yes I will take Derrick Brown over Williams.   

3 hours ago, Tony The Wiz said:

You don't need to pick Ruggs at 11 when this is a good wide receiver draft. You could get real good wr in the 2nd round. My choice is a RT who was coached by a offensive line head coach. Wirfs would fill a huge hole and the Jets have both OT who are free agents. 

As I said before, I wouldn’t touch Ruggs at 11. Not sure if he’s even a first round player.

On 1/14/2020 at 12:21 PM, bitonti said:

size/speed ratio is a concern and he would be asked to pass block players like Brandon Graham 

Even Jon Ogden was 6'9" 345

there's a reason why the league doesn't employ Sumo wrestlers

perhaps this guy shows up at the combine and truly is a world class rare athlete at 370 

at this point in the process if it all falls worst case I'd take Ruggs to replace/upgrade on Robby and call it a day 

Unfortunately guys that size weight fluctuates continuous so he might gain 30lbs between the combined and rookie training camp without even trying. As far as drafting him no. Why the **** would you take a 2nd round pick in the top of the draft when there’s top need offense players available. If JD does that it’s the same BS choices the Jets have been making for years. 

• Upvote 1
  • 7 months later...
10 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Forgot how many folks didn't like the idea of Becton.  Fair to say some minds have changed.

So much BS, but that's the nature of the fan speculation game when it comes to the draft. Shows how difficult it is to predict, even for the pro's. As with all things, we remember well when we guess right and have a convenient ability to forget when we've been completely wrong. Nature of the beast.

• Thumb Down 1
On 1/14/2020 at 12:21 PM, bitonti said:

LOL,  classic

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Forgot how many folks didn't like the idea of Becton.  Fair to say some minds have changed.

I really wonder how JD had the Tackles ranked. He made a point of not commenting....which only makes you wonder if Becton was his 4th ranked OT or no point in throwing other players under the bus.

6 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

I really wonder how JD had the Tackles ranked. He made a point of not commenting....which only makes you wonder if Becton was his 4th ranked OT or no point in throwing other players under the bus.

Becton was the third OT drafted so I'm pretty sure JD didn't have him ranked 4th.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3
23 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

to be fair to @bitonti he was on the zoom meeting live during the draft with a bunch of us.  He had the floor while we were on the clock and wanted Becton.  This thread if from January.

Bitonti did mention if he does well at the combine where Becton left scouts jaws agape with his 40 & his overall athleticism. 

• Upvote 1
14 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Honestly can't recall the last time any GM publicly ankowledged their rankings before or after the draft other than to say "he was at the top of our board".

Also, Becton was taken with Wirfs still on the board, so he was no worse than 3rd.

• Upvote 1
20 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Honestly can't recall the last time any GM publicly ankowledged their rankings before or after the draft other than to say "he was at the top of our board".

Also, Becton was taken with Wirfs still on the board, so he was no worse than 3rd.

Correct, also Wirfs is really a RT. The upside of Becton was to good not to take chance on.

1 hour ago, Bowles Movement said:

Another of your posts that didn’t age well.

this post is from Jan

made a mea culpa on Becton the day of the combine

btw - never heard back from you about our bet 

i don't mind being wrong, especially if it's in favor of the team 

"buy the win" no problem 

what happens to the person who bets on the team and they lose, it's a double dog

• Upvote 1
11 minutes ago, bitonti said:

this post is from Jan

"buy the win" no problem 

what happens to the person who bets on the team and they lose, it's a double dog

I remember those conversations post combine, you did do a 180 on Becton when he showed he wasn’t a “fat slob”.   I still firmly believe if Becton was off the board at 11 Ruggs would have been the pick.   I always believed it was a two player race at 11, Becton or Ruggs.  

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I remember those conversations post combine, you did do a 180 on Becton when he showed he wasn’t a “fat slob”.   I still firmly believe if Becton was off the board at 11 Ruggs would have been the pick.   I always believed it was a two player race at 11, Becton or Ruggs.  

here's some old threads - I forgot this but I voted Becton would be the pick 8-1 in Sarge's thread

also @jetstream23 promised me this wouldn't happen in 20 years 

it took 4 months 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
6 minutes ago, bitonti said:

here's some old threads - I forgot this but I voted Becton would be the pick 8-1 in Sarge's thread

also @jetstream23 promised me this wouldn't happen in 20 years 

it took 4 months 

It’s always fun to revisit that stuff.  I’m just happy I was on the right side of history when it came to Becton..Lol 

• Upvote 1
55 minutes ago, AFJF said:

True.... Wirfs was  thought of as more of a OG IIRC.

6 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

True.... Wirfs was  thought of as more of a OG IIRC.

Yeah, it just kind of depended on who was talking.  Some said he's a RT, some said he's an OG and some insist he has the tools to play LT.  We'll find out in time.

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Yeah, it just kind of depended on who was talking.  Some said he's a RT, some said he's an OG and some insist he has the tools to play LT.  We'll find out in time.

Wirfs is listed as the starting RT for the Bucs on their Week 1 depth chart, FWIW.  Obviously he wasn't going to steal LT duties away from 5-year starter Donovan Smith, but things will start to get interesting once Smith approaches free agency (end of 2021 season).  

9 hours ago, bitonti said:

this post is from Jan

"buy the win" no problem 

I responded to your post re the bet

Check and get back to me

On 9/9/2020 at 9:11 AM, bitonti said:

this post is from Jan

"buy the win" no problem 

On 9/4/2020 at 9:24 AM,  bitonti said: 

6 wins
Gase fired
Darnold wally pipped by James Morgan

Sent from my Pixel 2 using JetNation.com mobile app

You posited three scenarios for this year

I said Id be willing to bet on all 3

Jets win more than 6 games

Gase isnt fired during or after season prior to next NFL draft

Darnold isnt replaced by James Morgan permanently this season unless by injury

Who ever wins all 3 or 2/3 mini bets wins our bet.

Cash bet to charity of winners choice.   Wanna play?

On 9/9/2020 at 11:00 AM, Jetsfan80 said:

Seriously, is Bitonti EVER right about any predictions he makes, especially when it comes to the draft?  Find me one post where he's right and I'll shut up about it....

To be fair to Bit.....he pounded the table for Keenan Allen that year. Forget who we took, but that was a ballsy, correct choice.😀

1 minute ago, section314 said:

To be fair to Bit.....he pounded the table for Keenan Allen that year. Forget who we took, but that was a ballsy, correct choice.😀

Damn, so we gotta go back to 2013 to find a correct one?  Any more recent ones?  lol.

Allen was the # 76 pick that year.  We took Winters # 72.  

• Haha 1