Metrics Showed Where Adam Gase Failed To Live Up To Cutting-Edge Offense Hype

The second point is the most damning.

What kind of offensive mind essentially gives up on drives facing 2nd & long? It happened ad nauseam this season with throwaway predictable run plays for Bell. It reminded me of when Chrebet was hurt watching Paul Hackett’s predictable, lame offense with friends: he said they were constantly calling out plays before the snap. And mind you these weren’t professional NFL coaches. Much of the same this past season with Gase. 

It’s unfortunate because I think he has the ability. It’s just too often he reverts to his tendencies, utilizes fear ball. And great defensive coaches and defenses eat him alive.  

• Upvote 1

On 1/14/2020 at 3:14 PM, Bleedin Green said:

While I certainly get your overall points here, I think the "noise in the data" excuse loses a lot of its merit when that needs to be attributed to the poor performance in every year of his professional coaching career, with the sole exception of when he had Peyton Manning playing/calling plays at the line.

He's obviously getting at least one more year around here, so I'll certainly be rooting for him, but there is a pretty significant amount of evidence to suggest there's unfortunately little reason for optimism.

I think his offense put up pretty good numbers his one year Chicago, between Manning & Denver and Miami.  

On 1/14/2020 at 6:22 PM, NYJ1 said:

The "EYE TEST" when it comes to Gase tells me one thing....

He simply did NOT have talent to work with. That's a fact.

Then, I come to the realization that the talent situation is so bad that, NO ONE, not just Gase, could be successful coaching this team. Not even a young Bill Parcells. 

So ultimately no one knows if Gase is a good HC. Everything on this site is merely one's opinion. Not even my own opinion matters.

What must happen is the GM must start doing his job.

Yes an extremely small sample size but he had a healthy offense week 1, at home, with 4 first half turnovers that put up all of 8 points (a whopping 10 if he had a good kicker). Back then it was pointed out that 8 points off 4 first half turnovers was a historically low scoring output. For me that’s when the red flags surrounding Gase started their way back up the flag pole. 

Yes not mentioned in the article cited by the OP, but there’s the broader context: Gase’s recent Miami offenses had been awful. This wasn’t a proven commodity HC-OC Andy Reid going from Philly to KC. It was a questionable HC-OC Gase going from Miami coming to NY. Worrisome side note there: Philly & KC have been among the better organizations the past 10 years and KC scooped up Reid; Miami and the Jets among the worst and Jets scooped up Gase.

Anyway, hopefully he can change the trend next season with better talent, most critically up front. And re-discover even just some of the Denver magic and to a lesser extent his solid results in Chicago. 

42 minutes ago, JetsLife said:

I think his offense put up pretty good numbers his one year Chicago, between Manning & Denver and Miami.  

Not really, the Bears were 23rd in scoring and 21st in total offense that year, both the same as the year prior.  Perhaps not league worst, but hardly inspiring when that's regularly cited as an alleged highlight of the resume for a supposed offensive expert.

Those that complain about Gase only going 7-9 must think Macc was a good GM.

If Gase is truly this horrible, I assume you think a good head coach would have won 3-4 more games with the talent Mac assembled. 

You can't have it both ways. 

The reality is that Gase was working with a sick QB week 1, a 3rd string QB for a few weeks and a bad o line the rest of the year. 

The offense was limited because the talent was limited. 

If it's 2nd and 20, and you continually call long developing pass plays with this Offensive line you'd have a dead QB or aQB that is forced into bad decisions (turnovers, throwing it away). 

18 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Those that complain about Gase only going 7-9 must think Macc was a good GM.

If Gase is truly this horrible, I assume you think a good head coach would have won 3-4 more games with the talent Mac assembled. 

More than one thing can be true at the same time.

Macc was a bad GM.  Gase is a bad Head Coach.  Two things, both true.

A better GM would have drafted/signed better.  

A better Head Coach would not have finished dead last in Offense, and may have won 1-3 more games vs. this weak schedule.

Two things.  Related.  Not mutually exclusive.  Both true. 

2019 goes in the books as the Year of Excuses.  Let's see what 2020 does.

I wasn’t a Gase fan when they picked him as HC. Comes in with a losing record and was never stellar or outstanding. I’m not a Gase fan now. So some are giving him the benefit of the doubt because of the roster and injuries. I have to wait til next year to see if he turns this team around at least somewhat. Sam did OK this year. Didn’t have a break out year. 
One thing, I don’t think the team quit on him and Sam has confidence in him. It’s not an easy schedule next year so if the Jets go 7-9 or 8-8 I would consider it a failure. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/14/2020 at 11:35 AM, BROOKLYN JET said:

https://wfan.radio.com/blogs/steve-lichtenstein/metrics-showed-gase-failed-to-live-up-to-cutting-edge-hype

Lichtenstein: Metrics Showed Where Adam Gase Failed To Live Up To Cutting-Edge Offense Hype

bilities this past season.

nobody ANYWHERE said "cutting edge"    that i can recall...  all i knew...   was he was offensive and worked with manning and cutlet

and was a meh HC in Miami...

innovation was never anything i read about...        

On 1/19/2020 at 2:44 PM, MaxAF said:

I wasn’t a Gase fan when they picked him as HC. Comes in with a losing record and was never stellar or outstanding. I’m not a Gase fan now. So some are giving him the benefit of the doubt because of the roster and injuries. I have to wait til next year to see if he turns this team around at least somewhat. Sam did OK this year. Didn’t have a break out year. 
One thing, I don’t think the team quit on him and Sam has confidence in him. It’s not an easy schedule next year so if the Jets go 7-9 or 8-8 I would consider it a failure. 

he was/is a tick below .500...   MEH

9 hours ago, Losmeister said:

nobody ANYWHERE said "cutting edge"    that i can recall...  all i knew...   was he was offensive and worked with manning and cutlet

and was a meh HC in Miami...

innovation was never anything i read about...        

Yeah, I didn't write the article.

The second half of the season the offense looked great on the first drive (and sometimes the whole first quarter) but became incompetent in the 2nd and 3rd quarters.

Gase's biggest problem is his ego and stubbornness from moving away from the game plan when the defense makes adjustments.  It's absolutely maddening.