Joe Douglas Draft rumor - OT in the first no matter what

6 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

If the first 3 OT are gone, It would be idiotic to reach for a tackle you can easily pick up in the second. Just dumb... Draft a WR or Okudah if he falls. 

no it wouldn't, not in the least. You are telling me that the 4th ranked OT is not worth our 11 pick? based on??

Look 1 - its highly unlikely that the first 3 would be gone, thats number one- so your scenario is already fantasy.

2 - no one know is the the first 3 ranked guys will be any great superstar - generally speaking they can bust or be ave NFL quality - so saying the 4th one is way worse is stupid. That is dumb. 

3 draft others sure, but word is is he going OT and that is smart move because we need it. How you can not understand that is funny to me

4 I trust Joe D to get a us a good OT in the first and happy finally someone is willing to do it, our team has needed it. I hope that he gets like 2 or 3 of them. Last year in the draft we had good prospects last in few rounds. so I think a guy like Joe D will get a top targeted one and also a couple other good ones as well. His commitment is refreshing, just because it is an obvious pick doesn't make it less paramount or smart.

5 that pretty much all i wanted to say - obviously this would be a great move for us in the draft and the mostly likely of scenarios is that we get a stud OT in the first. I hope maybe even another pick in the first somehow to grab some off talent. But I be good with 2 lineman in the first. 

• Thumb Down 3
  • Sympathy 1

13 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Word is he will pick OT with his first pic kno matter what. And that he doesn't want to move back in the first. He want to take his guy and unless someone is offering next year first plus this year he is not moving.

Am not so sure that passing on like 4-5 good WRs NO MATTER WHAT is a good stance....

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Word is he will pick OT with his first pic kno matter what. And that he doesn't want to move back in the first. He want to take his guy and unless someone is offering next year first plus this year he is not moving.

Makes sense to me. There is nothing else he could draft that would benefit the team as much as an OT. A revamped OL would have an infinite benefit. Both the running and passing could easily be twice as good as it was in 2019. YES. It's currently that bad.

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Beachum is better than the number 4 college tackle. Change my mind.

As long as Beachum doesn't break the bank, I would be inclined to agree.  If he prices himself out of range, then it may be better to groom a younger replacement and use the cap space on solid veteran guards for the OL.

18 minutes ago, Dinamite said:

As long as Beachum doesn't break the bank, I would be inclined to agree.  If he prices himself out of range, then it may be better to groom a younger replacement and use the cap space on solid veteran guards for the OL.

read he was third in the NFL OT PBWR...cant find it jhust now...

2 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

read he was third in the NFL OT PBWR...cant find it jhust now...

This is just from a quick search, and supports that Beachum was above average.  The question is whether he wants above average money or top of the market money given the scarcity of OL in the market.

In 13 games this season, Beachum earned a 67.1 overall grade, landing him in PFF's "above average" category. That mark put Beachum as the 40th best tackle in the NFL this season. While not the most impressive number, it only goes downhill from there for the Jets.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Beachum is better than the number 4 college tackle. Change my mind.

Mekhi Becton projects as a starting left tackle at the NFL level — and a damn good one. Becton has all the length and functional power in the world, pairing it with a rare blend of flexibility and size. Becton is a brawler in the run game and his pure size overwhelms many pass rushers off the edge. There are still some technique consistencies to still be ironed out but generally speaking the ceiling here is sky high and there's a foundation that should allow early production at LT. 

6'7" 369 lb

3 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

no it wouldn't, not in the least. You are telling me that the 4th ranked OT is not worth our 11 pick? based on??

Look 1 - its highly unlikely that the first 3 would be gone, thats number one- so your scenario is already fantasy.

2 - no one know is the the first 3 ranked guys will be any great superstar - generally speaking they can bust or be ave NFL quality - so saying the 4th one is way worse is stupid. That is dumb. 

3 draft others sure, but word is is he going OT and that is smart move because we need it. How you can not understand that is funny to me

4 I trust Joe D to get a us a good OT in the first and happy finally someone is willing to do it, our team has needed it. I hope that he gets like 2 or 3 of them. Last year in the draft we had good prospects last in few rounds. so I think a guy like Joe D will get a top targeted one and also a couple other good ones as well. His commitment is refreshing, just because it is an obvious pick doesn't make it less paramount or smart.

5 that pretty much all i wanted to say - obviously this would be a great move for us in the draft and the mostly likely of scenarios is that we get a stud OT in the first. I hope maybe even another pick in the first somehow to grab some off talent. But I be good with 2 lineman in the first. 

I agree with the voice of reason here

It's highly likely all 3 are gone by 11 so that is false... Most of the teams in the top 10 are desperate for OL 

Taking an absolute stand on 1 position no matter what is always a bad idea

There is 6 other draft picks to pick OL and FA as well

If Joe D believes in the guy I feel I have to trust him but that Becton kid is a 2-3 year project not an NFL Starter yet. .. You don't take on 1st round projects they nearly all fail

You need talent on this Jets roster... They need WRs and CBs and Edge rusher... To take absolute stands on one position in the first round is doomed for failure since you should be drafting talent in this round and not for need. 

• Post of the Week 2

5 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Mekhi Becton projects as a starting left tackle at the NFL level — and a damn good one. Becton has all the length and functional power in the world, pairing it with a rare blend of flexibility and size. Becton is a brawler in the run game and his pure size overwhelms many pass rushers off the edge. There are still some technique consistencies to still be ironed out but generally speaking the ceiling here is sky high and there's a foundation that should allow early production at LT. 

6'7" 369 lb

He projects because of his size... Not how he plays... Read up and watch him... He has a lot of work to do... Right now he is an overweight dude with agile feet but his footwork is terrible and his hands need work... Can he be great... Yeah maybe but so could gohlston and Robertson... You saw how those two projects turned out

• Upvote 2

I would guarantee Beachum 1.5 years of very good LT money over 2-3 years.  Spread out his cost.   Make it expensive to cut him before year 3 and give both parties an incentive to have it work out for 2 years.  

So something like 3 years, 10mm/year, 15 guaranteed over first two years, cap cost 10mm/year.  Basically a 2 year insurance policy and he finishes his career with another 15-20mm.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

17 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

No. 

Obviously if 5 OTs went in the first 10 picks, we won't be taking an OT... 

but...

BUT....

You're right, i've heard the same scuttlebut, that it's definitely priority #1. That's start of his flowchart and I expect #11 to be an OT if they haven't been pilfered. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

So someone should start a thread letting everyone guess how many of these,  “word is” where the poster is just making crap up like they are Mehta, topics we will have between now and the draft. 

I'll get my friend IncarceratedBob to start that thread.

(FYI - You still owe me Nnamdhi Asomougha and a trade up for Reggie Bush, Bob!!!)

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

17 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

If you are posting a rumor it would be great if you post where the rumor is from.  :)

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Claymation said:

6'7" 369 lb

Check out our draft forum. There is an entire thread with some vids dedicated to him. 

1 hour ago, Skeptable said:

He projects because of his size... Not how he plays... Read up and watch him... He has a lot of work to do... Right now he is an overweight dude with agile feet but his footwork is terrible and his hands need work... Can he be great... Yeah maybe but so could gohlston and Robertson... You saw how those two projects turned out

Check out the thread in our draft forum.

I'm feeling more and more like @Paradis by the day for suggesting the DF over the main board. 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, varjet said:

I would guarantee Beachum 1.5 years of very good LT money over 2-3 years.  Spread out his cost.   Make it expensive to cut him before year 3 and give both parties an incentive to have it work out for 2 years.  

So something like 3 years, 10mm/year, 15 guaranteed over first two years, cap cost 10mm/year.  Basically a 2 year insurance policy and he finishes his career with another 15-20mm.

I think there are two spots where Douglas has to overpay this offseason: one is backup QB and the other is for Beachum. Looking at what life was like for the Jets when Beachum was out, you can make the case that he was the actual MVP of the team this year

• Sympathy 1

12 hours ago, dbatesman said:

I try not to complain about stuff like this, but can someone edit the thread title? It’s a long way until draft day and if people are going to post random unsubstantiated crap, they should label it as such so the rest of us know not to waste our time with it.

If unsubstantiated crap went away, the whole system would collapse 

• Upvote 1