We have to get back to the Playoffs

Jetster

Face it Jet fans. We will never see real NFL football until we're back to being contenders. This new NFL is riddled with loser teams going through the motions of another season. Players SAVING themselves for free agency. 

Remember Robbie Andersons alligator arm impression in Buffalo? Seasons are nothing if your not in the playoffs. Buffalo got the taste & that changes everything. They believe they're on the way to yearly appearance. 

Just the intensity of these playoff games goes up a notch as players strive for another chance, another game. Watching some of the regular season games in the NFL was like watching preseason football. Sam needs to taste the playoffs! He needs to have that feeling he had when playing big games at USC. There is no other way to ARRIVE in the NFL than to make plays in the biggest games. 

10 years. 10 years since one of the greatest upsets I've ever witnessed watching the NY Jets beat the Pats at Gillette. That's like going for 3rd grade to graduation for god sake. There will be no better time for Joe Douglas to turn this team around than right now with the Pats finally teetering, Miami in rebuild & a beatable Buffalo team if we can fix the Oline. Healthy our defense can stand with the Bills offense. 

We need playoffs THIS YEAR! Sams 3rd year in the league. It's time, no more excuses. I'm one of the fans that believes in Gase & what he's trying to establish here. But another 6-10, 7-9, 8-8 season will crush my enthusiasm. A lot of us older guys are getting tired, and cranky. We have our QB, many, many teams have turned things around in 1 year, why not us? The AFC East is a shell of its once strong past. The Pats have owned it for 20 years. It's f*cking wide open right now & we better be contenders for the Crown. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Face it Jet fans. We will never see real NFL football until we're back to being contenders. This new NFL is riddled with loser teams going through the motions of another season. Players SAVING themselves for free agency. 
Remember Robbie Andersons alligator arm impression in Buffalo? Seasons are nothing if your not in the playoffs. Buffalo got the taste & that changes everything. They believe they're on the way to yearly appearance. 
Just the intensity of these playoff games goes up a notch as players strive for another chance, another game. Watching some of the regular season games in the NFL was like watching preseason football. Sam needs to taste the playoffs! He needs to have that feeling he had when playing big games at USC. There is no other way to ARRIVE in the NFL than to make plays in the biggest games. 
10 years. 10 years since one of the greatest upsets I've ever witnessed watching the NY Jets beat the Pats at Gillette. That's like going for 3rd grade to graduation for god sake. There will be no better time for Joe Douglas to turn this team around than right now with the Pats finally teetering, Miami in rebuild & a beatable Buffalo team if we can fix the Oline. Healthy our defense can stand with the Bills offense. 
We need playoffs THIS YEAR! Sams 3rd year in the league. It's time, no more excuses. I'm one of the fans that believes in Gase & what he's trying to establish here. But another 6-10, 7-9, 8-8 season will crush my enthusiasm. A lot of us older guys are getting tired, and cranky. We have our QB, many, many teams have turned things around in 1 year, why not us? The AFC East is a shell of its once strong past. The Pats have owned it for 20 years. It's f*cking wide open right now & we better be contenders for the Crown. 
This is why I fully.endorse drafting a QB early if one falls.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

37 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

We have to ride or die with Sam until we have to pay him. So next year we need to put some resemblance of an actual NFL roster around him  on offense to accurately determine if he is the solution.  Simply can’t afford to use a pick on a QB this year because it’s not even close to as much a need as other position are. 

• Upvote 3

We have to ride or die with Sam until we have to pay him. So next year we need to put some resemblance of an actual NFL roster around him  on offense to accurately determine if he is the solution.  Simply can’t afford to use a pick on a QB this year because it’s not even close to as much a need as other position are. 
I understand ... But ... Like the stock market ... It's a good idea to hedge your bet until the QB position is settled.

5 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

I understand ... But ... Like the stock market ... It's a good idea to hedge your bet until the QB position is settled.

Yeah but you do t spend money  in the stock market when you don’t have groceries in the house. Our cupboard is beyond bare. Sam might be a stale loaf of bread but you can still make toast. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

There isn't a chance in hell anyone would take a QB, unless youre talking a later round pick for a backup.  Not as competition for Sam or as his possible replacement.

We need to restock the talent on this roster not play the roster like its the stock market, its not close to being that

16 minutes ago, SAR I said:

You hate your head coach, you think he sucks, and somehow you therefore come to the conclusion that he owes you a playoff berth next season?

Stop trolling Jets fans, thanks.

SAR I

I have no idea what your responding to as I have been a proponent of the Gase hire for Sams sake. You sir must have me confused with another poster here. And yes, Gase, Douglas & CJ owe us at least a playoff birth in 2020. Like you've posted over & over, we went 6-2 to end the season over the last 8 games. If we don't make the playoffs then your arguments with the Gase haters falls completely flat & their insistence that the 6-2 record was based on beating sh*tty teams was in fact RIGHT ON THE MONEY. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I have no idea what your responding to as I have been a proponent of the Gase hire for Sams sake. You sir must have me confused with another poster here. And yes, Gase, Douglas & CJ owe us at least a playoff birth in 2020. Like you've posted over & over, we went 6-2 to end the season over the last 8 games. If we don't make the playoffs then your arguments with the Gase haters falls completely flat & their insistence that the 6-2 record was based on beating sh*tty teams was in fact RIGHT ON THE MONEY. 

Yes, I confused you with Jetsons.  Apologies.

shanahan.jpg

If the Jets stay healthy I expect the playoffs.  However, it's not a "mandate" for Gase's second year.  If the fans were that knee-jerk in San Fransisco, they'd have fired Shanahan after he went backwards his first two seasons.

SAR I

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Just getting to the playoffs and not building to be a perennial contender is the wrong approach. 

I can stand not making the playoffs next year if it means we'll get there, say, 3/4 times in the subsequent 5 years.  

Lot's of Jets fans can't stand that idea though.  

Exactly.

The Bills made the playoffs and all they found out is that they're not a playoff team.

The 49ers were 6-10 then 4-12 and used that time to get a playbook entrenched and put pieces in place, get the injured back to health, and then BOOM explosion to 13-3 and (I believe) a Super Bowl Championship.

SAR I

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

I wouldn't know I don't shop at Marshall's I prefer Macy's. 

joewilly12 

I was at my son's 5th grade concert and saw a teen wearing the Jets Championship hoodie.  He said they had a bunch of stuff at Marshall's one town over.  Jumped in my car, bought everything they had which was 1 hat, 5 t-shirts, and 5 hoodies.  Cost me like $40.

SAR I

6 minutes ago, Jetster said:

and, Gase, Douglas & CJ owe us at least a playoff birth in 2020. Like you've posted over & over, we went 6-2 to end the season over the last 8 games. If we don't make the playoffs then your arguments with the Gase haters falls completely flat & their insistence that the 6-2 record was based on beating sh*tty teams was in fact RIGHT ON THE MONEY. 

This.  For all of the Gase supporters, you cannot hold up the 6-2 second half like a trophy and then not expect the progression of a winning season and playoff berth in 2020.  If we the Jets are really as good as that 6-2 record (I don't think they are), then with a presumably much better roster, they should be a playoff team in 2020.  You just can't have it both ways.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

This.  For all of the Gase supporters, you cannot hold up the 6-2 second half like a trophy and then not expect the progression of a winning season and playoff berth in 2020.  If we the Jets are really as good as that 6-2 record (I don't think they are), then with a presumably much better roster, they should be a playoff team in 2020.  You just can't have it both ways.

No, it's the opposite.

If you believe that the Jets had the 31st worst offense in the NFL and only finished strong because of weak teams, then you must believe we are years away from the playoffs.  Can't have it both ways.

Nice try though.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

No, it's the opposite.

If you believe that the Jets had the 31st worst offense in the NFL and only finished strong because of weak teams, then you must believe we are years away from the playoffs.  Can't have it both ways.

Nice try though.

SAR I

I'm not having it both ways.  I don't think the Jets are a good team as currently constructed and I don't expect them to make the playoffs in 2020, even with an improved roster. YOU think they're a good team and therefore based on your impeccable logic, they should springboard off of their glorious 6-2 second half and achieve world domination and a playoff berth next year.   Don't get it twisted.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I was at my son's 5th grade concert and saw a teen wearing the Jets Championship hoodie.  He said they had a bunch of stuff at Marshall's one town over.  Jumped in my car, bought everything they had which was 1 hat, 5 t-shirts, and 5 hoodies.  Cost me like $40.

SAR I

I have the gray t-shirt a friend bought for me not sure where he got it. 

6 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

I'm not having it both ways.  I don't think the Jets are a good team as currently constructed and I don't expect them to make the playoffs in 2020, even with an improved roster. YOU think they're a good team and therefore based on your impeccable logic, they should springboard off of their glorious 6-2 second half and achieve world domination and a playoff berth next year.   Don't get it twisted.

The 6-2 finish only indicates 3 things:

1.  The roster has some surprising young depth.

2.  Sam Darnold is a great young quarterback, made something out of nothing.

3.  Adam Gase and his staff are respected by the players and made adjustments that led to surprising wins.

Those are all very positive.  I am extremely proud.  I feel good about next season.  But it's going to take a great draft and some smart cuts/additions to put us over the top.  No wildcard from the AFCE next season, have to take the division.  Keeping our coaching staff and playbooks intact goes a long way.  Comfort in a system year-over-year took a weak team like the Bills to the playoffs.  Gase and Gregg showed their stuff; now it's Joe Douglas' turn.

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Pressure is definitely on for improvement.  Improvement from 7-9 would more or less be a 6 seed.  NFC west schedule with no Brady, could see a 10-6/9-7 team actually taking the division.  With Woody back, could see him making a change if no playoffs.

15 minutes ago, SAR I said:

The 6-2 finish only indicates 3 things:

1.  The roster has some surprising young depth.

2.  Sam Darnold is a great young quarterback, made something out of nothing.

3.  Adam Gase and his staff are respected by the players and made adjustments that led to surprising wins.

Those are all very positive.  I am extremely proud.  I feel good about next season.  But it's going to take a great draft and some smart cuts/additions to put us over the top.  No wildcard from the AFCE next season, have to take the division.  Keeping our coaching staff and playbooks intact goes a long way.  Comfort in a system year-over-year took a weak team like the Bills to the playoffs.  Gase and Gregg showed their stuff; now it's Joe Douglas' turn.

SAR I

I think Gase showed very little (beyond altering the playbook after his 2nd year QB demanded he do so).  The success of the team in 2020 was a young, no-name defense maturing under the tutelage of Greg Williams and Darnold putting the team on his back and elevating the play of inferior offensive personnel. 

If Douglas does his job and upgrades the offense in 2020, Gase needs to deliver on the promise of his offensive wizardry or he's two years and done.  Book it. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

I think Gase showed very little (beyond altering the playbook after his 2nd year QB demanded he do so).  The success of the team in 2020 was a young, no-name defense maturing under the tutelage of Greg Williams and Darnold putting the team on his back and elevating the play of inferior offensive personnel. 

If Douglas does his job and upgrades the offense in 2020, Gase needs to deliver on the promise of his offensive wizardry or he's two years and done.  Book it. 

agree and disagree at the same time.  i certainly would welcome a playoff berth and i like the way they finished the season.  but at the same time, this next season will still only be year 2 of a rebuilding process.  imo it's still only year 2 because of the mess mac left the team in with regard to overall talent.  i want to believe there's more talent than always indicated but the record is what it is.  they need more and it'll be challenging for douglas to bring in enough for next season.  we'll see what happens soon enough.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Just getting to the playoffs and not building to be a perennial contender is the wrong approach. 

I can stand not making the playoffs next year if it means we'll get there, say, 3/4 times in the subsequent 5 years.  

Lot's of Jets fans can't stand that idea though.  

You can build around Sam and build this team up for a playoff push next season while still maintaining an approach for future success. It all has to do with how well you draft, who you draft, who you sign in FA, and how you structure their contracts. It's not easy but it can be done. 

So there shouldn't be any argument over long term success vs. playoffs next year.

But it is very well true that before the Jets give Sam a monster contract they need to put a solid young O-line in front of him and give him at least a couple stud WRs on top of what he has now (assuming Robby walks). So they can't exactly go into re-build mode in any sense of the word. Even if they don't have a ton of cap they have to make due and sign the best FAs they can. They just have to be smart with who they give a ton of money to and how they structure contracts.      

Of course, I realize I'm not telling you anything you don't already know. 

• Upvote 1

Every year we see teams surprise & make the playoffs. It's about time we're one of them. Hopefully Bell is better next year, I think the year layoff hurt him, or maybe he doesn't give a sh*t anymore but I'd like to see us draft another dynamic RB. That high #3 might be the ticket. Oline- WR- RB- Get er done JD. It could definitely be done!

2 free agent Olineman- 1 free agent pass rusher, 1 2nd tier FA WR, I've listed them before, Agholor or Geronimo Allison would be my top 2. With a revamped Oline, A top WR like Juedy + Crowder + Agholor or Geronimo + Herndon + Griffin + Bell + 3rd round RB, that should be plenty for Sam to work with! That's a helluva lot better than David Nelson + David Clowney.

3 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Somehow QB is one of our biggest needs. We need someone who at least has a prayer of playing .500 ball if Darnold misses time.