Rhule goes with LSU Passing Game Coordinator Brady for OC.

32EBoozer

Well, regardless how you feel about letting Rhule walk..... this is a pretty good hire for the new Panthers coach. Brady is a rising star in the college ranks.

LSU's passing game coordinator, Joe Brady, a coveted coach who had been linked to several NFL teams in the offseason, is reportedly returning to the pros.

Brady, coming off a national championship win, is set to join the Carolina Panthers and their new head coach Matt Rhule, according to multiple reports.

Brady will be the team’s offensive coordinator, ESPN reported Tuesday.

The 30-year-old coach impressed teams with his work getting LSU to the national championship game and helping quarterback Joe Burrow go from a 16-touchdown season to a record 60 in one year. Burrow won the Heisman Trophy in his final season with the Tigers, which culminated in a national championship victory over Clemson.

Brady was a wide receiver at William & Mary before becoming a linebackers coach for the Tribe. He was with the school in 2013 and 2014 before he was a graduate assistant at Penn State. He was with the Nittany Lions from 205 to 2016 and then joined the New Orleans Saints as an offensive assistant.

He joined Ed Orgeron’s staff prior to the start of 2019 and was honored with the Ryan Broyles Award as the nation’s top assistant coach.

Carolina has the No. 7 pick in the upcoming draft. Burrow is expected to go No. 1 to the Cincinnati Bengals.

Brady talked about LSU’s system before the national championship game.

Every coach should put together a system that isn't just what we do and this is what we're doing,” Brady said. “It's about, let's see what our players do well and run the system that can relate to them and put them in the best position to have success.

“No matter the quarterback you have, if he can't really throw well but he can run, let's put a system together that can put him in the best position. The same with your running back and receivers and tight ends. The best coaches don't just run a system. They run what puts their players in the best position.”

Edited by 32EBoozer
  • Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

LSU had the players but the play calling and play  design was terrific as well.

A lot of motion, misdirection, Jet sweeps and well planned schemes for the running game. Some of those designed runs for Burrows gained huge yardage and kept their momentum going.

Edited by 32EBoozer
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I bet they do not have the 32nd ranked offense at the end of the year.

I'll be very interested to see what they do at QB.  New regimes always mean new QB's, so even if they turn back to Cam, they'll still likely bring someone new in to compete for the job.  

If Cam does stick around, he'll likely have a good year in the new system.  

22 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'll be very interested to see what they do at QB.  New regimes always mean new QB's, so even if they turn back to Cam, they'll still likely bring someone new in to compete for the job.  

If Cam does stick around, he'll likely have a good year in the new system.  

Yeah, they have some pretty big decisions to make. With Keuchly retiring, do they maybe go Simmons at #8?  The thing about Burrow that is scary is just how accurate the kid is. His completion % for the year was off the charts. Don't know how accurate the top 8-10 QB's coming out are, but the new OC has definitely been spoiled.?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The idea of CJ/Macc not being able/willing to hire Rhule because they wouldn't let him bring in his own guys won't age well. 

Especially if/when Gregg Williams leave in a year or 2 (on average, he leaves teams every 2.5-3 years for various reasons).

Exactly - it’s really not gonna age well. People can say what they want about how Rhule hasn’t accomplished anything but the guy just poached arguably the number one OC candidate out there to join him, that says quite a bit. 

If Rhule was here, it’s possible Mac would be which is very bad. But anyone who thinks the combo of Gase/Loggins is remotely comparable to Rhule/Brady is delusional. 

Additionally there is a common theme among all of these successful coaches and it’s exactly what Brady said and exactly what Gase doesn’t do. Stop blaming the players and saying they don’t fit what you do - design something around what the players do best.  It is that simple. 

Gase isn’t Bill Walsh, he doesn’t have a “system”. He is barely a competent coordinator who should show some humility and bring in a QB coach who can help design a scheme around what Sam and the offense does best and continue to adapt that along the way.  If he can’t he doesn’t deserve to be a HC. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

6 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Exactly - it’s really not gonna age well. People can say what they want about how Rhule hasn’t accomplished anything but the guy just poached arguably the number one OC candidate out there to join him, that says quite a bit. 

If Rhule was here, it’s possible Mac would be which is very bad. But anyone who thinks the combo of Gase/Loggins is remotely comparable to Rhule/Brady is delusional. 

Additionally there is a common theme among all of these successful coaches and it’s exactly what Brady said and exactly what Gase doesn’t do. Stop blaming the players and saying they don’t fit what you do - design something around what the players do best.  It is that simple. 

Gase isn’t Bill Walsh, he doesn’t have a “system”. He is barely a competent coordinator who should show some humility and bring in a QB coach who can help design a scheme around what Sam and the offense does best and continue to adapt that along the way.  If he can’t he doesn’t deserve to be a HC. 

Exactly. I forget who the TV commentator was on one of the games, but he made that point about Greg Williams. Said that he always tells his coaches " don't tell me what a guy can't do, tell me what he can do."

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, tfine said:

I agree. Too bad the talent on Jets isn’t anywhere close to the Panthers. Christian McCaffery is better then the whole Jets roster combined.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Gregg Williams, very little talent on D, middle of the pack defense

Adam Gase, very little talent on O, dead last offense

The sign of a good coach, is one who achieves something while facing talent limitations.

• Sympathy 1

36 minutes ago, tfine said:

I agree. Too bad the talent on Jets isn’t anywhere close to the Panthers. Christian McCaffery is better then the whole Jets roster combined.

Le'Veon Bell was considered one of if not the best RB in the league before he came to the Jets.

• Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, BCJet said:

Macc made a lot of dumb decisions, including selecting Hackenberg.... smh.... but blowing an opportunity for the Jets to hire the best up and coming coach in the industry - might be his biggest lemon.... 

Like for FFS guys. Can we catch a fcking break. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

Macc made a lot of dumb decisions, including selecting Hackenberg.... smh.... but blowing an opportunity for the Jets to hire the best up and coming coach in the industry - might be his biggest lemon.... 

Like for FFS guys. Can we catch a fcking break. 

Name one good nfl coach that didn’t spend YEARS grinding as a coordinator or player. 

2 hours ago, JiF said:

I don’t think I realized that Brady wasn’t the OC at LSU.  Interesting, I’ve never seen a WR coach/passing game coordinator get coronated so quickly.  

I imagine the concern over the Jets possibly hiring Rhule at the time was that the assistants he wanted to bring with him were inexperienced.  This kind of confirms that.  But that's not a good enough reason to pass on a HC.  Especially since the DC they were looking to saddle our new HC with has averaged less than 3 years at each stop.  

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I imagine the concern over the Jets possibly hiring Rhule at the time was that the assistants he wanted to bring with him were inexperienced.  This kind of confirms that.  But that's not a good enough reason to pass on a HC.  Especially since the DC they were looking to saddle our new HC with has averaged less than 3 years at each stop.  

Also - it resulted in Adam Gase.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, nico002 said:

Name one good nfl coach that didn’t spend YEARS grinding as a coordinator or player. 

Don Shula, the winningest coach in NFL history, only spent 3 years as a DC before getting his first HC job (Baltimore Colts).  He only played in 73 NFL games in his career and had no prior coaching experience when he got the DC job with the Lions.

And if you're looking to criticize the lack of experience from Rhule or Joe Brady, you're just dead wrong there, especially regarding Rhule.  Both are absolutely "grinders".

Rhule had more coaching experience than Mike Tomlin prior to getting the NFL HC job.  Tomlin coached at the collegiate level from 1995-2000, then worked his way up to an NFL DB Coach and DC before getting the Steelers job in 2007.  That's 12 years of prep.  Rhule has had 22 years of prep.   

Brady has had 7 years of coaching experience prior to getting the OC job under Rhule.  Tomlin had 11 years between starting his coaching career and getting an NFL DC job with the Vikings.  Not too far off.  

Matt Rhule

As coach:
  • Albright (1998)
    Linebackers coach
  • Buffalo (1999–2000)
    Defensive line coach
  • UCLA (2001)
    Defensive line coach
  • Western Carolina (2002)
    Special teams & linebackers coach
  • Western Carolina (2003–2004)
    Associate head coach/special teams/linebackers coach
  • Western Carolina (2005)
    Associate head coach/running game coordinator/special teams/linebackers coach
  • Temple (2006)
    Defensive line coach
  • Temple (2007)
    Quarterbacks coach & recruiting coordinator
  • Temple (2008–2010)
    Offensive coordinator & quarterbacks coach
  • Temple (2011)
    Offensive coordinator/tight ends/recruiting coordinator
  • New York Giants (2012)
    Assistant offensive line
  • Temple (2013–2016)
    Head coach
  • Baylor (2017–2019)
    Head coach
  • Carolina Panthers (2020–present)
    Head coach

Joe Brady 

2009-12:  WR at William & Mary

2013–2014 William & Mary (LB)
2015–2016 Penn State (GA)
2017–2018 New Orleans Saints (OA)
2019–present LSU (PGC/WR)

Mike Tomlin

1991-94:  WR at William & Mary

As coach:
  • Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Well if it was all that vs Gase, they should have acquiesced a little to Rhule. Really. Look at the results. A HC who so far is NOT improving the franchise QB. Yes the message board is ready with excuses for it, oops I mean reasons, but I'll have none of it. If there is no improvement to Sam next fall, Gase is going to be despised vehemently. It's a bad situation and was created entirely by the catatonic owner and his dopey brother. There is legit and ample reason for EVERY Jets fan to be disgusted.  

And I hope the Jets read here. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Well if it was all that vs Gase, they should have acquiesced a little to Rhule. Really. Look at the results. A HC who so far is NOT improving the franchise QB. Yes the message board is ready with excuses for it, oops I mean reasons, but I'll have none of it. If there is no improvement to Sam next fall, Gase is going to be despised vehemently. It's a bad situation and was created entirely by the catatonic owner and his dopey brother. There is legit and ample reason for EVERY Jets fan to be disgusted.  

And I hope the Jets read here. 

Yes - it was a ridiculous mistake by an incompetent group of owners and/or the GM. Even if Rhule turns out to be a complete bust in the NFL with his NFL inexperienced staff, it was a better to take a chance on the potential of the high reward over hiring a proven loser who was just fired by a loser division rival.

• Upvote 4

Gregg Williams, very little talent on D, middle of the pack defense
Adam Gase, very little talent on O, dead last offense
The sign of a good coach, is one who achieves something while facing talent limitations.

Gase had injuries at the QB position which is the most important position in pro sports. It’s not like losing a linebacker or a DL. It severely skews those stats. If Darnold didn’t get sick we would be a middle of the pack offense as well.