Rhule goes with LSU Passing Game Coordinator Brady for OC.

32EBoozer

What would it take for the Panthers to go from #7 to #1 in this years draft & take Joe Burrows?... Trade Cam Newton + picks... I think they would be Very Interested in that type of deal... just have to see what Cincy would be willing to go with... That would be a Pretty Amazing thing if it happened.

3 minutes ago, tfine said:

Gase had injuries at the QB position which is the most important position in pro sports. It’s not like losing a linebacker or a DL. It severely skews those stats. If Darnold didn’t get sick we would be a middle of the pack offense as well.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Gase chose his backups, other teams in the league, as in MANY other teams were on their 2nd and 3rd qbs this past year.

This gase excuse is more flim flam.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

14 minutes ago, jetsons said:

What would it take for the Panthers to go from #7 to #1 in this years draft & take Joe Burrows?... Trade Cam Newton + picks... I think they would be Very Interested in that type of deal... just have to see what Cincy would be willing to go with... That would be a Pretty Amazing thing if it happened.

The Bengals would have to be in love with Cam and not so much with Burrow to make that happen.  Even if Cam bounces back, he's old and expensive.

If the Bengals traded down to Carolina, they might as well just take a mess of picks from the Panthers.  They could eventually just pick up Cam when he gets cut.

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Don Shula, the winningest coach in NFL history, only spent 3 years as a DC before getting his first HC job (Baltimore Colts).  He only played in 73 NFL games in his career and had no prior coaching experience when he got the DC job with the Lions.

And if you're looking to criticize the lack of experience from Rhule or Joe Brady, you're just dead wrong there, especially regarding Rhule.  Both are absolutely "grinders".

Rhule had more coaching experience than Mike Tomlin prior to getting the NFL HC job.  Tomlin coached at the collegiate level from 1995-2000, then worked his way up to an NFL DB Coach and DC before getting the Steelers job in 2007.  That's 12 years of prep.  Rhule has had 22 years of prep.   

Brady has had 7 years of coaching experience prior to getting the OC job under Rhule.  Tomlin had 11 years between starting his coaching career and getting an NFL DC job with the Vikings.  Not too far off.  

Matt Rhule

As coach:
  • Albright (1998)
    Linebackers coach
  • Buffalo (1999–2000)
    Defensive line coach
  • UCLA (2001)
    Defensive line coach
  • Western Carolina (2002)
    Special teams & linebackers coach
  • Western Carolina (2003–2004)
    Associate head coach/special teams/linebackers coach
  • Western Carolina (2005)
    Associate head coach/running game coordinator/special teams/linebackers coach
  • Temple (2006)
    Defensive line coach
  • Temple (2007)
    Quarterbacks coach & recruiting coordinator
  • Temple (2008–2010)
    Offensive coordinator & quarterbacks coach
  • Temple (2011)
    Offensive coordinator/tight ends/recruiting coordinator
  • New York Giants (2012)
    Assistant offensive line
  • Temple (2013–2016)
    Head coach
  • Baylor (2017–2019)
    Head coach
  • Carolina Panthers (2020–present)
    Head coach

Joe Brady 

2009-12:  WR at William & Mary

2013–2014 William & Mary (LB)
2015–2016 Penn State (GA)
2017–2018 New Orleans Saints (OA)
2019–present LSU (PGC/WR)

Mike Tomlin

1991-94:  WR at William & Mary

As coach:

I rest my case 

1 hour ago, jetsons said:

They should offer McCaffrey, Newton, and next years 1st.

3 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Brady has zero years as a coordinator in the nfl- actually at any level. He was Sean Peytons ball boy for two years. 

Being Sean Paytons ball boy for 2yrs is most likely a better learning environment than many other OC's out there have had.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I imagine the concern over the Jets possibly hiring Rhule at the time was that the assistants he wanted to bring with him were inexperienced.  This kind of confirms that.  But that's not a good enough reason to pass on a HC.  Especially since the DC they were looking to saddle our new HC with has averaged less than 3 years at each stop.  

Based on what? Has Rhule done anything that we are acting like we just passed on a young Bill Walsh?

7 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Gregg Williams, very little talent on D, middle of the pack defense

Adam Gase, very little talent on O, dead last offense

The sign of a good coach, is one who achieves something while facing talent limitations.

The comparison would be more apt if Gregg Williams lost literally every player in his front seven for most of the year 

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The comparison would be more apt if Gregg Williams lost literally every player in his front seven for most of the year 

Our gloried #3 overall pick was a no show.  We had a rookie UDFA and a 2nd year 6th rounder making plays.

Both starting high priced ilbs were hurt and we were going with special teams guys playing there.

Our CBs pretty well all year were laughably bad or unknown.

The D was just as talentless and injured as the offense and actually looked good.

The offense was dead last or last in most categories.

Just now, Beerfish said:

Our gloried #3 overall pick was a no show.  We had a rookie UDFA and a 2nd year 6th rounder making plays.

Both starting high priced ilbs were hurt and we were going with special teams guys playing there.

Our CBs pretty well all year were laughably bad or unknown.

The D was just as talentless and injured as the offense and actually looked good.

The offense was dead last or last in most categories.

The offense replaced the entire offensive line during the season, and the starters on the starting offensive line were already terrible. They also lost their WR1 and TE1 for the year ten minutes into the season. The Jets defense opened the season with the third overall and sixth overall pick, a third and fourth round pick, and two expensive free agents in McClendon and Anderson on the defensive line alone. They both had losses along the way, but the defense started in a exponentially better position than the offense did. 

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The offense replaced the entire offensive line during the season, and the starters on the starting offensive line were already terrible. They also lost their WR1 and TE1 for the year ten minutes into the season. The Jets defense opened the season with the third overall and sixth overall pick, a third and fourth round pick, and two expensive free agents in McClendon and Anderson on the defensive line alone. They both had losses along the way, but the defense started in a exponentially better position than the offense did. 

Why was our #1 WR Quincy?  He was just recovering from a broken neck again.  That screams stupidity from the get-go.  When did Mac give Q that money... before or after the arrival of Gase?

edit: before Gase  December 28, 2018. 

Mac messed this team up for years beyond his reach.  I hope somehow he ends up in prison for something to balance out the scales of justice.  

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Why was our #1 WR Quincy?  He was just recovering from a broken neck again.  That screams stupidity from the get-go.  When did Mac give Q that money... before or after the arrival of Gase?

edit: before Gase  December 28, 2018. 

Mac was such a forking idiot.  I hope somehow he ends up in prison for something.  

Ha. It really is breathtaking how bad a job Maccagnan did. Everything was so short sighted

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Ha. It really is breathtaking how bad a job Maccagnan did. Everything was so short sighted

The utter outrage not more than about a year ago when some of us suggested Idzik was in fact a better gm than mac.

Both  could not draft their way out of a paper bag.

Idzik actually had a plan and drafted priority value positions.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Yet you keep attacking me, well done Mrs. Rhule. 

I keep attacking you? Your opinions change like dirty underwear and are completely dependent on Jet-homerism, or in other cases, asinine logic. I literally watched you in the same thread last year start with "Josh Allen is our man, screw another fat DT..."  to "Hey, QW is the read deal guys"

Stop being you, and i'll start listening. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, CTM said:

Based on what? Has Rhule done anything that we are acting like we just passed on a young Bill Walsh?

Completely turned around 2 bad programs.  Plenty of HC experience.  Loved by his players (and not just for dumb, sentimental reasons like Rex was loved).

There are no guarantees in this league.  But Rhule should have been the hire among the candidates available.  McCarthy is blah and Gase sucks.  You act like all HC candidates are known commodities.  Some are known to suck; especially the HC retreads.  Others are educated guesses.  Rhule is the latter.  

And why does Rhule have to be a "young Bill Walsh" for him to be a good hire?  Why can't the expectation be that he'll just be a very good coach who ends up, say, one of the top 10-12 or so in the game among his peers?

8 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I mean, could you imagine?  No matter what they got for the #1 pick they couldn't move out of that spot and watch Joe Burrow go on to be a franchise QB for another team.  They would never live it down.

They'd have to be firmly convinced Burrow is NOT the guy.  Like Sonny Weaver wasn't sold on Bo Callahan.