32EBoozer

Rhule goes with LSU Passing Game Coordinator Brady for OC.

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I bet they do not have the 32nd ranked offense at the end of the year.

I'll be very interested to see what they do at QB.  New regimes always mean new QB's, so even if they turn back to Cam, they'll still likely bring someone new in to compete for the job.  

If Cam does stick around, he'll likely have a good year in the new system.  

56 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Apparently they need a Rooney rule on assistance and coordinators as well.

Look guys, a white male still triggered about a thread from over a week ago!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JiF said:

I don’t think I realized that Brady wasn’t the OC at LSU.  Interesting, I’ve never seen a WR coach/passing game coordinator get coronated so quickly.  

I imagine the concern over the Jets possibly hiring Rhule at the time was that the assistants he wanted to bring with him were inexperienced.  This kind of confirms that.  But that's not a good enough reason to pass on a HC.  Especially since the DC they were looking to saddle our new HC with has averaged less than 3 years at each stop.  

2 hours ago, nico002 said:

Name one good nfl coach that didn’t spend YEARS grinding as a coordinator or player. 

Don Shula, the winningest coach in NFL history, only spent 3 years as a DC before getting his first HC job (Baltimore Colts).  He only played in 73 NFL games in his career and had no prior coaching experience when he got the DC job with the Lions.

And if you're looking to criticize the lack of experience from Rhule or Joe Brady, you're just dead wrong there, especially regarding Rhule.  Both are absolutely "grinders".

Rhule had more coaching experience than Mike Tomlin prior to getting the NFL HC job.  Tomlin coached at the collegiate level from 1995-2000, then worked his way up to an NFL DB Coach and DC before getting the Steelers job in 2007.  That's 12 years of prep.  Rhule has had 22 years of prep.   

Brady has had 7 years of coaching experience prior to getting the OC job under Rhule.  Tomlin had 11 years between starting his coaching career and getting an NFL DC job with the Vikings.  Not too far off.  

Matt Rhule

As coach:
  • Albright (1998)
    Linebackers coach
  • Buffalo (1999–2000)
    Defensive line coach
  • UCLA (2001)
    Defensive line coach
  • Western Carolina (2002)
    Special teams & linebackers coach
  • Western Carolina (2003–2004)
    Associate head coach/special teams/linebackers coach
  • Western Carolina (2005)
    Associate head coach/running game coordinator/special teams/linebackers coach
  • Temple (2006)
    Defensive line coach
  • Temple (2007)
    Quarterbacks coach & recruiting coordinator
  • Temple (2008–2010)
    Offensive coordinator & quarterbacks coach
  • Temple (2011)
    Offensive coordinator/tight ends/recruiting coordinator
  • New York Giants (2012)
    Assistant offensive line
  • Temple (2013–2016)
    Head coach
  • Baylor (2017–2019)
    Head coach
  • Carolina Panthers (2020–present)
    Head coach

Joe Brady 

2009-12:  WR at William & Mary

2013–2014 William & Mary (LB)
2015–2016 Penn State (GA)
2017–2018 New Orleans Saints (OA)
2019–present LSU (PGC/WR)

Mike Tomlin

1991-94:  WR at William & Mary

As coach:
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Impossible with McCaffrey 

Who we also passed on in 2017.  😂😂😫😫

11 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Well if it was all that vs Gase, they should have acquiesced a little to Rhule.

100 % agreed.  That CJ/Macc duo was the worst owner/GM duo in NFL history.

1 minute ago, tfine said:

I love how Rhule hasn’t done anything and people are acting like we passed on Bill Walsh. He very well could be the next Spurrier. Lol.

How about just a solid NFL HC?  Not Walsh and not Spurrier?  That's my vote.

14 minutes ago, jetsons said:

What would it take for the Panthers to go from #7 to #1 in this years draft & take Joe Burrows?... Trade Cam Newton + picks... I think they would be Very Interested in that type of deal... just have to see what Cincy would be willing to go with... That would be a Pretty Amazing thing if it happened.

The Bengals would have to be in love with Cam and not so much with Burrow to make that happen.  Even if Cam bounces back, he's old and expensive.

If the Bengals traded down to Carolina, they might as well just take a mess of picks from the Panthers.  They could eventually just pick up Cam when he gets cut.

2 minutes ago, nico002 said:

I rest my case 

What case?  Your case was wrong.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, nico002 said:

Your best example of a successful coach with no nfl coordinating or playing experience had 10 years combined of it... that is 10x more than anyone on the panthers staff. 

Brady had 7 years of coaching experience.  You don't know how to math.  

2 hours ago, CTM said:

Based on what? Has Rhule done anything that we are acting like we just passed on a young Bill Walsh?

Completely turned around 2 bad programs.  Plenty of HC experience.  Loved by his players (and not just for dumb, sentimental reasons like Rex was loved).

There are no guarantees in this league.  But Rhule should have been the hire among the candidates available.  McCarthy is blah and Gase sucks.  You act like all HC candidates are known commodities.  Some are known to suck; especially the HC retreads.  Others are educated guesses.  Rhule is the latter.  

And why does Rhule have to be a "young Bill Walsh" for him to be a good hire?  Why can't the expectation be that he'll just be a very good coach who ends up, say, one of the top 10-12 or so in the game among his peers?

58 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Mac was such a forking idiot.  I hope somehow he ends up in prison for something.  

Criminal Negligence.  

"Your honor, we didn't draft an OL higher than the 5th round for 4 years.  And when he finally did, it was Chuma Edoga."

Judge:  "GUILTY"

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I mean, could you imagine?  No matter what they got for the #1 pick they couldn't move out of that spot and watch Joe Burrow go on to be a franchise QB for another team.  They would never live it down.

They'd have to be firmly convinced Burrow is NOT the guy.  Like Sonny Weaver wasn't sold on Bo Callahan.  

46 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Yet you keep attacking me, well done Mrs. Rhule. 

You gave Sam mono.  You have no right to call someone "Mrs" anything for defending somebody.  

6 minutes ago, CTM said:

What

Rex was loved by players because of his persona.  Though his act wore on more veteran players.  

Rhule is loved by players for much better reasons than that.  Things that matter out of a HC.  Holding people accountable, being an actual, real leader, earning respect, etc.  Those kinds of qualities will transfer well to the pros.  

1 minute ago, CTM said:

How are you able to speak about this stuff do confidently. You hanging out in the dirty laundry cart again? 

I read.  And observe.

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company