32EBoozer

Rhule goes with LSU Passing Game Coordinator Brady for OC.

Owner/GM, Coach, OC, DC with zero nfl experience.... Carolina is getting the #1 pick next year.

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

Macc made a lot of dumb decisions, including selecting Hackenberg.... smh.... but blowing an opportunity for the Jets to hire the best up and coming coach in the industry - might be his biggest lemon.... 

Like for FFS guys. Can we catch a fcking break. 

Name one good nfl coach that didn’t spend YEARS grinding as a coordinator or player. 

44 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Football is football man. Sometimes a fresh approach goes a long way.

Lol

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Don Shula, the winningest coach in NFL history, only spent 3 years as a DC before getting his first HC job (Baltimore Colts).  He only played in 73 NFL games in his career and had no prior coaching experience when he got the DC job with the Lions.

And if you're looking to criticize the lack of experience from Rhule or Joe Brady, you're just dead wrong there, especially regarding Rhule.  Both are absolutely "grinders".

Rhule had more coaching experience than Mike Tomlin prior to getting the NFL HC job.  Tomlin coached at the collegiate level from 1995-2000, then worked his way up to an NFL DB Coach and DC before getting the Steelers job in 2007.  That's 12 years of prep.  Rhule has had 22 years of prep.   

Brady has had 7 years of coaching experience prior to getting the OC job under Rhule.  Tomlin had 11 years between starting his coaching career and getting an NFL DC job with the Vikings.  Not too far off.  

Matt Rhule

As coach:
  • Albright (1998)
    Linebackers coach
  • Buffalo (1999–2000)
    Defensive line coach
  • UCLA (2001)
    Defensive line coach
  • Western Carolina (2002)
    Special teams & linebackers coach
  • Western Carolina (2003–2004)
    Associate head coach/special teams/linebackers coach
  • Western Carolina (2005)
    Associate head coach/running game coordinator/special teams/linebackers coach
  • Temple (2006)
    Defensive line coach
  • Temple (2007)
    Quarterbacks coach & recruiting coordinator
  • Temple (2008–2010)
    Offensive coordinator & quarterbacks coach
  • Temple (2011)
    Offensive coordinator/tight ends/recruiting coordinator
  • New York Giants (2012)
    Assistant offensive line
  • Temple (2013–2016)
    Head coach
  • Baylor (2017–2019)
    Head coach
  • Carolina Panthers (2020–present)
    Head coach

Joe Brady 

2009-12:  WR at William & Mary

2013–2014 William & Mary (LB)
2015–2016 Penn State (GA)
2017–2018 New Orleans Saints (OA)
2019–present LSU (PGC/WR)

Mike Tomlin

1991-94:  WR at William & Mary

As coach:

I rest my case 

1 hour ago, jetsons said:

What would it take for the Panthers to go from #7 to #1 in this years draft & take Joe Burrows?... Trade Cam Newton + picks... I think they would be Very Interested in that type of deal... just have to see what Cincy would be willing to go with... That would be a Pretty Amazing thing if it happened.

They should offer McCaffrey, Newton, and next years 1st.

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

What case?  Your case was wrong.  

Your best example of a successful coach with no nfl coordinating or playing experience had 10 years combined of it... that is 10x more than anyone on the panthers staff. 

24 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Brady had 7 years of coaching experience.  You don't know how to math.  

Brady has zero years as a coordinator in the nfl- actually at any level. He was Sean Peytons ball boy for two years. 

Just now, Paradis said:

You’re an idiot. 

Name one genius.

4 minutes ago, Paradis said:

If i thought for a second there was a reasonable conversation at the end of this maze you call your opinion, then maybe i would engage. 

No thanks. 

Yet you keep attacking me, well done Mrs. Rhule. 

• Thumb Down 2

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I'm late to this topic, but...

• Andy Reid, right off the top of my head
  • And John Harbaugh was just a special teams coach (which is only very recently called "coordinator" and no one on earth thinks of ST coaches on the same level as OCs/DCs)
  • Tomlin had all of 1 year as a DC when he was made HC
  • Vrabel also just 1 year as a DC. He was a player for a long time, but arguing that being a player makes you an acceptable coach is an uphill climb of an argument to say the least, and he's the only player on this list
  • LaFleur bouncing 1 year as a DC for 2 teams surely isn't what you meant by YEARS in caps (especially when the more recent of the two was as an OC overseeing an offense in the bottom half dozen in the league)
  • Anthony Lynn almost one year as an OC
  • Matt Nagy one year as an OC (Anyone here think he was the straw that stirred the drink in KC? I didn't think so.)

How many more than one are you looking for? 

Reid- 6 years as an assistant

harbaugh- 10 years as a coordinator 

Tomlin- 5 years as position coach/coordinator 

Vrabel- year as dc multiple years as player

lynn- 16 years as position coach and 6 years as assistant head coach 

Matt Nagy - 6 years as position coach and 2 years as coordinator 

your examples are absolutely terrible and support my argument

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

🤪

You specifically said as a coordinator. Not an assistant. Not a mere position coach. A coordinator OR a player for many years (though I have doubts about the latter's inherent value in becoming a HC, otherwise all the good coaches would be ex-players). If you want to keep moving the goal posts and changing the parameters any time you're proven wrong it is an unserious argument you're making.

There aren't any head coaches I'm aware of who haven't worked for multiple years as an assistant coach of some type at the pro level, or as at least a  coordinator if not HC at the college level. There is no such thing, any more than there's such a thing as a brown and green sky, so it hardly seems a point of any significance. The day some GM takes a kid right out of college classes and turns him into a HC you can say I'm wrong.

And special teams coach isn't a coordinator. Not really, and everyone knows it. Special teams coaches are half coaching roster bubble and later round rookies, not so much managing high-dollar veterans and their attitudes and senses of entitlement (earned as it may be in many cases). There are good STCs and bad ones, but none are on the same coaching plane or have to contend with nearly the same variables as an OC or DC. There are no crucial decisions on an extended drive or even a single series of downs. In comparison to OCs/DCs, how often do we hear about the brilliant gameplan a STC came up with for a specific opponent? Yeah, pretty much never. I can't recall ever hearing it, actually. 

The rest of your above reply are just poor obfuscation attempts: mushing longer experience of decidedly lesser, non-coordinator/HC positions together with the minimal ~1 yr experience as an actual coordinator, to try making it seem like there was equal time spent being totally in charge of half the team of veterans.

“Assistant head coach” for 6 years is not comparable to “assistant OL coach” which is all that Rhule has done... for ONE year

“There aren't any head coaches I'm aware of who haven't worked for multiple years as an assistant coach of some type at the pro level

panthers HC, OC, and DC meet this criteria LOL

21 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Just say it:

“I, Nico, made a wild assertion with my post was factually wrong and without merit. There are in fact many past and present successful head coaches who neither worked for YEARS as coordinators nor as players before, as I incorrectly presumed. Furthermore, being a career player has never proven to be adequate or even requisite prior training for becoming a successful head coach in the NFL.”

Just say it: Matt Rhule is a fraud 

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company