The TE position going forward

Jets723

Just now, Beerfish said:

I think we need to draft another TE this year. (Later in the draft)

I do not trust Herndon after this past year.

Griffins injury was a bad one.

Wesco has shown absolutely zero.

I can see your point being more enthused than the past and if both Herndon and Griffin come into next year injury free and with their heads on straight it could be pretty good.

That’s fair. The injuries scare me a bit

• Upvote 3

Can we trade QW for Hockenson? ?

Cause I would.......

In theory Herndon + Griffin should be ok.  If they stay healthy.  And don't get suspended or the like.  Darnold likes both of them (it seemed).

I'm not a huge fan of either tbqh, but they should be acceptable weapons.  

Wouldn't mind a real road-grader TE tho, to bolster the running game at times.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Cause I would.......

In theory Herndon + Griffin should be ok.  If they stay healthy.  And don't get suspended or the like.  Darnold likes both of them (it seemed).

I would love that too but like you said between the two of them they are nice weapons.  Herndon needs to show more maturity after his issue last offseason but hopefully he learned from that

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Cause I would.......

Thought that's what Wesco is? Another great job of evaluating talent?

• Upvote 3

Both are better TEs than any of those that preceded them for many years, so that's certainly a big plus, and I appreciated Douglas being proactive enough to get Griffin a new deal when he had clearly shown himself to deserve it.  With that said, there are certainly concerns with both, starting with health issues, and also questions about their long-term ability.  I think Griffin is a solid #2, but 7 years into his career already, you can't expect any more out of him than what the Jets got this season.  Herndon I felt was a bit over-hyped coming into the season as there were a lot of assumptions being made based solely on grading him on a rookie curve, but there's never any guarantees that all players will grow leaps and bounds from there, and his lack of a second year doesn't help with that either.

In the end, TE is still probably dead last on the list of Jets' needs on offense, but that also doesn't necessarily mean there's no concerns at the position either.  It shouldn't see any major investment made to it right now, but if there's any options they really like for a moderate price (i.e., middle/lower-tier FA or late-round pick), it would still be worth doing.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

I would love that too but like you said between the two of them they are nice weapons.  Herndon needs to show more maturity after his issue last offseason but hopefully he learned from that

Let’s hope he learned his lesson.  The incident happened almost two years ago

Hope so, I don’t see them using draft capital on TE this year.  It’s not a position of need right now 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Both are better TEs than any of those that preceded them for many years, so that's certainly a big plus, and I appreciated Douglas being proactive enough to get Griffin a new deal when he had clearly shown himself to deserve it.  With that said, there are certainly concerns with both, starting with health issues, and also questions about their long-term ability.  I think Griffin is a solid #2, but 7 years into his career already, you can't expect any more out of him than what the Jets got this season.  Herndon I felt was a bit over-hyped coming into the season as there were a lot of assumptions being made based solely on grading him on a rookie curve, but there's never any guarantees that all players will grow leaps and bounds from there, and his lack of a second year doesn't help with that either.

In the end, TE is still probably dead last on the list of Jets' needs on offense, but that also doesn't necessarily mean there's no concerns at the position either.  It shouldn't see any major investment made to it right now, but if there's any options they really like for a moderate price (i.e., middle/lower-tier FA or late-round pick), it would still be worth doing.

Oh I agree.  Its always important to keep an eye out for possible upgrades.  Griffin is a little older so that is a small concern for me but the injuries are probably the biggest thing 

They may sign a mid range FA at TE but realistically i dont see them drafting one this year.  The crop is mediocre, although there can be some good later round options.  I think they'll give this group another year to see how they come along (especially herndon and wesco) and then reevaluate next offseason and possibly draft one next offseason.  OL, WR, EDGE, CB and RB will most likely be the main targets in the draft with them looking to come out of the draft with 2 OL and 2 WR in their perfect world.  Dont be surprised if they go EDGE at 11 if they dont have a deal to move down and a OT they like on the board. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, rangerous said:

yep on herndon.  he didn't help himself with the dui and then not arriving to camp in shape.

Yeah I was disappointed in him.  He has a lot of making up to do.  People make mistakes so hopefully he learned from this past year and is ready to go because he was good for us in his rookie year.  Both him and Griffin can help stretch the field significantly if healthy and have the best mindset 

• Upvote 3

Just now, Jets723 said:

Yeah I was disappointed in him.  He has a lot of making up to do.  People make mistakes so hopefully he learned from this past year and is ready to go because he was good for us in his rookie year.  Both him and Griffin can help stretch the field significantly if healthy and have the best mindset 

and darnold likes him.  it's up to herndon to keep his head in the game.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

I agree with the general tenor of your post, but the positivity about our TE position is a bit much IMO.  ASJ, and Jace Amaro have had Jets seasons with more receiving yards than Griffin had last year.  Hell, in 2013, both Cumberland and Kellen Winslow Jr. had more yards than Griffin in 2019.  Worse, that was the 2nd best season in Griffin's 7 year career.  Herndon was a bit better, but he hasn't exactly shown himself to be reliable.  

The TE position going forward

Yes, I'd like to see it go forward. Last year it went backward thanks to Herndon's suspension followed by injury.  Without Griffin, it would have been a complete disaster.  Griffin + Herndon on paper sounds great.  Freaking Henrdon. I'm not sure we can trust him.  

Guess I’ll go a different route here. I believe Herndon will have a comeback year and if we can get Griffin out there with him we can do some damage in the reD zone. Still see them grabbing 3 or 4 TEs for training camp. Jets like blocking TEs to help with the run game and help cover up the mistakes of the OL

29 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

I think some here under rate the TE position especially for a young QB.  I have always valued the TE position. I thought Griffin was going to be the man for the job but who knows now.

If we improve the line, even our TE's will look better. In my mind, I see no urgent needs at TE, as a matter of fact, I see it as a pleasant surprise strength going forward. I could be wrong, but it is my opinion

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

10 hours ago, Apache 51 said:

I think some here under rate the TE position especially for a young QB.  I have always valued the TE position. I thought Griffin was going to be the man for the job but who knows now.

Griffin will be back by TC and preseason he had chemistry with Sam last year

Herndon I could see becoming a 70 catch 800 yard a year guy if he stays healthy ever

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

On 1/15/2020 at 12:56 PM, Beerfish said:

I think we need to draft another TE this year. (Later in the draft)

I do not trust Herndon after this past year.

Griffins injury was a bad one.

Wesco has shown absolutely zero.

I can see your point being more enthused than the past and if both Herndon and Griffin come into next year injury free and with their heads on straight it could be pretty good.

He had an ankle injury, what makes is so bad we need another TE?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

He had an ankle injury, what makes is so bad we need another TE?

When you get ireserved with three weeks left in the season it is not a mere sprained ankle.  It was serious ligament damage, out 6 months.  He has also had knee and concussion injuries.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

When you get ireserved with three weeks left in the season it is not a mere sprained ankle.  It was serious ligament damage, out 6 months.  He has also had knee and concussion injuries.

High ankle sprains are a 6-8 week injury.

Sequan misses 6 or so weeks.

Is that it?  Seriously, I thought I missed something worse than just an ankle. I mean no one said serious ligament damage.  

• Upvote 1