The TE position going forward

Jets723

We follow this rule:

Any inured 2019 starter whose replacement played well gets released for 2020. 

So we get rid of Herndon and roll with Griffin and Brown. High maintenence out, lunch pails in.  They deserve the playing time and will work harder to keep it.  A culture of effort, not gloss. 

SAR I

We'll have to see how it all works out? I think there's potential there no doubt, but I wouldn't consider any TE we have as a top TE. Not even close actually and the reliability factor also comes into play here. Herndon was useless this season. While Griffin was a pleasant surprise, he's got to stay healthy or else he's no good to the team.

Herndon knows his career is on the ropes. Did everyone forget how well he played with Sam his rookie year? He was a huge loss last year. Look at how much the Patriots offense declined without a solid TE. Watch the Patriots snatch up Hunter Henry if the Chargers don't resign him. 

if Chris gets his head out of his azz he's easily the best TE in the division, let's hope he has a Chris Carter moment of clarity. 

Like so much of the Jets offense we learned little about the TE position moving forward to next season. As mentioned earlier Griffin in his 7th year with a bad injury makes him questionable next year getting the same production. Herdon, who knows, injury, maturity . Wesco was a bruising blocker who made some nice plays catching the ball at West Virginia. When we drafted him there was so much excitement that the pick was solid. Then we didn’t see him (noticeably) on the field until about week 12 or so. I can remember one or two real positive plays on offense both catching and (running the ball?)   and thought “Why hasn’t he played up until this point? .”

27 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

Like so much of the Jets offense we learned little about the TE position moving forward to next season. As mentioned earlier Griffin in his 7th year with a bad injury makes him questionable next year getting the same production. Herdon, who knows, injury, maturity . Wesco was a bruising blocker who made some nice plays catching the ball at West Virginia. When we drafted him there was so much excitement that the pick was solid. Then we didn’t see him (noticeably) on the field until about week 12 or so. I can remember one or two real positive plays on offense both catching and (running the ball?)   and thought “Why hasn’t he played up until this point? .”

Wesco is complete sh*t. He didn’t look good blocking and is a ghost in the receiving game. 
As far as the draft/FA there’s not a lot to get excited about. Henry will be looking to get paid but he’s produced. Eifert is a jag and has had injuries. The rest are old or nothing special. If they could get Parkinson in the 3rd it would be great but I don’t think he’s lasting that long. Bad year to need a TE. 

7 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Wesco is complete sh*t. He didn’t look good blocking and is a ghost in the receiving game. 
As far as the draft/FA there’s not a lot to get excited about. Henry will be looking to get paid but he’s produced. Eifert is a jag and has had injuries. The rest are old or nothing special. If they could get Parkinson in the 3rd it would be great but I don’t think he’s lasting that long. Bad year to need a TE. 

Wesco is complete sh*t? Curious, Why do you think this? IMO, he didn’t play enough to warrant being a total bust. Thought he made one or two relatively big plays for us against Pittsburgh (?) Buffalo (?). Was it a big block on 4th down or catch down the sidelines?  Again, I’m not saying he is great, or going to be great, just curious why you think he is total sh*t when I thought he didn’t really play much? 

10 hours ago, SAR I said:

We follow this rule:

Any inured 2019 starter whose replacement played well gets released for 2020. 

So we get rid of Herndon and roll with Griffin and Brown. High maintenence out, lunch pails in.  They deserve the playing time and will work harder to keep it.  A culture of effort, not gloss. 

SAR I

In a sea of pro-Gase and PSL nonsense, this might be your most ridiculous post.   You want to release Herndon?  Ryan Griffin has been in the league for 7 years and his best season was still 20% worse than Herndon's 2018.  Herndon makes $800K   To replace with a Daniel Brown level player would cost more.  To upgrade?  You don't ever release guys with a chance to start that make that little unless they are truly and actively distracting the team. 

12 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

Wesco is complete sh*t? Curious, Why do you think this? IMO, he didn’t play enough to warrant being a total bust. Thought he made one or two relatively big plays for us against Pittsburgh (?) Buffalo (?). Was it a big block on 4th down or catch down the sidelines?  Again, I’m not saying he is great, or going to be great, just curious why you think he is total sh*t when I thought he didn’t really play much? 

I didn’t say he was a bust I said he was complete sh*t this season. He didn’t play a lot because he wasn’t good enough he also look awful blocking on a lot of plays and didn’t catch but a few balls. I wouldn’t depend on him for the up coming season. 

2 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

I didn’t say he was a bust I said he was complete sh*t this season. He didn’t play a lot because he wasn’t good enough he also look awful blocking on a lot of plays and didn’t catch but a few balls. I wouldn’t depend on him for the up coming season. 

Ok, I can buy that somewhat. If he was not good enough, it’s one thing. Guess I’m questioning  that Gase “should” have had him out there more as opposed to he wasn’t good enough. 

16 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

In a sea of pro-Gase and PSL nonsense, this might be your most ridiculous post.   You want to release Herndon?  Ryan Griffin has been in the league for 7 years and his best season was still 20% worse than Herndon's 2018.  Herndon makes $800K   To replace with a Daniel Brown level player would cost more.  To upgrade?  You don't ever release guys with a chance to start that make that little unless they are truly and actively distracting the team. 

Herndon will be on the shortest of leashes this year. Forget distracting the team, what he did was 100x worse, he let his team down twice because of his own selfish, immature decisions. The future is entirely in his hands...let's see if he's man enough and smart enough to accept the challenge.

5 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

Ok, I can buy that somewhat. If he was not good enough, it’s one thing. Guess I’m questioning  that Gase “should” have had him out there more as opposed to he wasn’t good enough. 

I’ve always said if you’re have a blocking only TE just use an undersized OL and teach him how to catch if he doesn’t know how already. 

10 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

I’ve always said if you’re have a blocking only TE just use an undersized OL and teach him how to catch if he doesn’t know how already. 

If Wesco doesn’t pan out ( plus Herndon and Griffin injury) it sets us back even further on offense. Let’s hope it’s not the case. 

46 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

Wesco has 2 catches and 1 carry.   A 15 yard catch and 2 yard carry against the Giants and a 32 yard catch against the Steelers.  The Jets had injuries and the reason that he didn't play much is most likely because he is total sh*t.  I wouldn't write him off, but counting on him for 2020 is like the people thinking he was the next Bavaro based on his 20 catch college career highlights.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, section314 said:

Herndon will be on the shortest of leashes this year. Forget distracting the team, what he did was 100x worse, he let his team down twice because of his own selfish, immature decisions. The future is entirely in his hands...let's see if he's man enough and smart enough to accept the challenge.

Twice?   What selfish immature decisions?  I get the DUI accident, but that happened in 2018.  He broke his rib.  I remember Gase saying he felt bad that the kid couldn't catch a break. 

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

Twice?   What selfish immature decisions?  I get the DUI accident, but that happened in 2018.  He broke his rib.  I remember Gase saying he felt bad that the kid couldn't catch a break. 

When he was serving his suspension and wasn't in shape and got hurt and missed another 3-4 weeks. That's a disgrace, and something your teammates should never forget. The guy should have come back looking like Drago.

3 hours ago, section314 said:

When he was serving his suspension and wasn't in shape and got hurt and missed another 3-4 weeks. That's a disgrace, and something your teammates should never forget. The guy should have come back looking like Drago.

He pulled a hamstring.  If you think that is a disgrace, then half the NFL and 3/4s of the Hall of Fame is disgraceful.  

I still have a lot of hope for Wesco. He’s the kind of player that may need a couple of seasons to really come around which is fine as long as he’s not expected to start. Similarly to Nathan Shepherd he may have had some trouble adjusting to the NFL game.

Last year was a mess on so many levels. A guy like Wesco who has everything you would want in a TE physically has an uphill climb coming out of West Virginia and the offense they Ran there.
There were plays where he was absolutely destroyed and there were plays where he did a very good job. Probably more of the former but he’s not someone I’d like to see given up on so quickly. Some of these guys need a minute.

Look at James Goodwin and demario Davis as examples. Let’s keep Wesco around and develop him.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app