Burrow says OBJ gave out real $ to LSU players on field after game

That is definitely an NCAA violation. Regardless of whether or not OBJ has an official affiliation with the school.  It would be no different than the owner of the local used car dealership who is a huge fan of (Insert college here) giving football players cash.

Since Burrow is going into the draft - it doesn't matter for him.  But the NCAA could certainly go after the school and the remaining players who took the money.

Will cooler heads prevail so that they'll look at this as just kind of a spur of the moment lapse in judgment? 

Hopefully. 

At the very least, the NCAA will demand that the players (at least those who are coming back next year) pay the money back.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, DLJ said:

Burrow answered that by saying “ he’s no longer a student athlete so....”

I guess there was a viral video out there and it’s already being investigated but yeah he has to be smarter there and decline to answer or give a non answer 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Why wouldn’t it bring legal ? OBJ isn’t affiliated with the college. Just a lunatic with pockets full of money 

Neither are a lot of alums who have handed money or cars to players and brought players or programs down.  If you use that excuse how would you ever top illegal contributions to student/athletes?

They let him sit on the sidelines, I couldn't get that pass. 

8 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Neither are a lot of alums who have handed money or cars to players and brought players or programs down.  If you use that excuse how would you ever top illegal contributions to student/athletes?

They let him sit on the sidelines, I couldn't get that pass. 

That's fine. This just looks more on an emotional thing rather than some sorta of illegal thing.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

That's fine. This just looks more on an emotional thing rather than some sorta of illegal thing.

I agree, its not a big deal.  Just thinking that they wouldn't want to set a precedent and leave an out for aluminums donations

Alumni giving cash to current NCAA student-athletes is a complete no-no.  Players get suspended for this kind of thing, programs get sanctioned.  I know it was all in good fun, it was done in the open as part of a celebration, it wasn't some behind-the-scenes deal.....there were even cameras around and OBJ was basically doing a "make it rain" with his $100's.  But someone needed to step in and be smarter about this.

Will be very interesting to see if the NCAA uses some common sense or goes by the book and treats this like they would any other case where a school's alumni is caught paying athletes.  Hopefully they say something like, "We recognize this was more of a celebration and spectacle and not a real attempt to make cash payments to student-athletes, hide them and circumvent NCAA rules.  Once the University confirms that any and all money thrown to players has been returned and that no funds are still in the possession of any student-athletes we will close this investigation with a warning to the program and the alumni."

Odell has to make everything about HIM.  Go look at some of the locker room footage of him interrupting Coach O during his post game speech to the team.  He won nothing when he was at LSU, but acts like he’s a returning conquering king for that program.  Just a selfish me first act.   

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, DLJ said:

He’s a moron— he just ****ed up their eligibility. At least the ones who are returning

This guy is a jack-ass of unprecedented proportions.  The Giants stole a first round pick for him.  Please, no one say we should take him on this team when the Browns are looking to dump him for a fifth.

3 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Odell has to make everything about HIM.  Go look at some of the locker room footage of him interrupting Coach O during his post game speech to the team.  He won nothing when he was at LSU, but acts like he’s a returning conquering king for that program.  Just a selfish me first act.   

That's the bottom line. If I were Mara/Tisch, Gettleman would be on the payroll for life for getting this loser out of here.

S

3 hours ago, sec101row23 said: