What will the Jets do with Quincy Enunwa?

1 hour ago, Samtorobby47 said:

If Gase and Douglas don’t hate him now, I’d keep him. But he’d be working at the 4th or 5th spot. Not being counted on. 

The WR5 spot needs to be used on a guy who can contribute on ST's. 

If Enunwa isn't in the mix as a WR4 or higher after we add all of our new WR's via the draft and free agency, you cut him. 

Also, if he isn't healthy enough to handle WR4 duties and it doesn't make sense to put him on IR, you also cut him.  

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Plus @Pac already has that job.  Except he's not trolling.  

I have neither the time nor the inclination to cite the 400 examples of terrible contracts dolled out by supposedly genius football minds...

I'll give you Andy Reid giving Sammy Watkins 1 billion dollars to do nothing.

Anything more than that you'll have to do a lot better job of riling me up.

EDIT: bonus example....  the genius unemployed Ken Dorsey that you and your band of spazzes were dry humping trading and paying for Odell.

4 minutes ago, Pac said:

I have neither the time nor the inclination to cite the 400 examples of terrible contracts dolled out by supposedly genius football minds...

EDIT: bonus example....  the genius unemployed Ken Dorsey that you and your band of spazzes were dry humping trading and paying for Odell.

Oh wow so GMs sometimes mess up once or twice?  That's cute.  

Macc set money on fire.  A point I reinforced with a long list of terrible signings he made over his 5 offseasons in a thread a couple weeks ago.  

• Upvote 1

The Question is not “What will the Jets do with Quincy Enunwa?”

The Question is “What will Quincy Enunwa do with the Jets?”

For some reason the Jets have become completely twisted here.  Look at Luke Keuchly.  I think the standard for passing an NFL physical is pretty low.  Luke has had umpteen concussions but basically had to retire.   I think basically what is happening is a tug of war between Enunwa and the Jets.  Enunwa May have an injury guarantee, but he has to be continually be rehabbing to get better and play, not have lunch with his wife.  If he wants to stop rehabbing, he basically has to retire.  That is why the Jets fined him.  They want him to retire, but he won’t. 

I think there is a distinction between guaranteed for injury and career-ending.  If Enunwa wants to stop pretending that he is rehabbing to return, he needs to make a deal with the Jets.  

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Oh wow so GMs sometimes mess up once or twice?  That's cute.  

Macc set money on fire.  A point I reinforced with a long list of terrible signings he made over his 5 offseasons in a thread a couple weeks ago.  

yeah I must have missed that thread..  I make it a point not to read ramblings of mad men.

12 minutes ago, Pac said:

KEN DORSEY WAS A QUARTERBACK BRO

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Il Mostro said:

How the heck do you included an injury clause to the player's benefit when said player is always injured? Only the Jets.

Yeah I doubt the Jets went out of their way to include the clause. It’s written up by players agents. And it’s pretty common now a days. 

8 hours ago, varjet said:

The Question is not “What will the Jets do with Quincy Enunwa?”

The Question is “What will Quincy Enunwa do with the Jets?”

For some reason the Jets have become completely twisted here.  Look at Luke Keuchly.  I think the standard for passing an NFL physical is pretty low.  Luke has had umpteen concussions but basically had to retire.   I think basically what is happening is a tug of war between Enunwa and the Jets.  Enunwa May have an injury guarantee, but he has to be continually be rehabbing to get better and play, not have lunch with his wife.  If he wants to stop rehabbing, he basically has to retire.  That is why the Jets fined him.  They want him to retire, but he won’t. 

I think there is a distinction between guaranteed for injury and career-ending.  If Enunwa wants to stop pretending that he is rehabbing to return, he needs to make a deal with the Jets.  

Yup, that's how I'm reading it too. The Jets need Quincy to either retire, or get healthy enough to pass a physical so they can cut him.

He has that big injury guarantee for 2020, so he has no real incentive to do either of the things the Jets want him to do.

By staying hurt, and not retiring, he collects his guaranteed for injury pay in 2020, then walks away with extra millions in his pocket.

I don't think that's true. If it's a career ending injury, where a doctor says playing could cripple him because he's damaged goods after this last injury, he doesn't need to keep trying to return.

He's already been rehabbing and if he can't pass a physical (for playing football not for normal living) then he can't pass a physical. He doesn't need to keep rehabbing to try to return to the field, and even if he tries his hardest, if he's now too slow or can't cut the same, that's a result of this on field injury and that's that: Jets pay as though he's made the roster, and again for half his salary next year ($4MM, to reach that full $20MM payout).

His money is guaranteed for injury. He doesn't need to be in a wheelchair to collect it. He might also try to return, figuring he makes more if he can stay on the field, as @#27TheDominator brings up, but it of course depends on how permanently hurt he really is.  

So yes, unless he returns, this contract -handed out while the player was again on IR, mind you - is $20MM for part of one game.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

Not how that works, if Quincy retires we need to eat at least the signing bonus of his deal. Here is the verbage from the contract: 2019 and 2020 are guaranteed for injury. That guarantee kicks in on the 5th day of the new league year, meaning if Enunwa is not healthy he won't be able to pass a physical that 2020 season becomes guaranteed.

Screenshot_20200115-194348.png

But that's not the issue.  The issue me an Dominator were discussing was, I think, that paying him in the case of his injury ending his career is the payout becoming a cap hit.  My thought was we were eating money because that was the rule, payout or not

5 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

But that's not the issue.  The issue me an Dominator were discussing was, I think, that paying him in the case of his injury ending his career is the payout becoming a cap hit.  My thought was we were eating money because that was the rule, payout or not

Ah gotcha

• Sympathy 1

On 1/15/2020 at 10:24 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

• Trumaine:  5 yrs, $72.5M w/$34M in guarantees
  • Revis:  5 yrs, $70.1M w/$39M in guarantees
  • Enunwa:  4 yrs, $36M w/$20.5M in guarantees
  • Spencer Long:  4 yrs, $27.4M w/$6M in guarantees
  • Wilkerson:  5 yrs, $86M w/$37M in guarantees
  • Skrine:  4 yrs, $25M w/$13M in guarantees
  • Harris:  3 yrs, $21.5M w/$15M in guarantees
  • Cromartie:  4 yrs, $32M w/$7M in guarantees
  • Carpenter:  4 yrs, $19.1M w/$5M in guarantees
  • Kearse:  3 yrs, $13.5M w/$6.3M in guarantees
  • Fitzpatrick:  1 yr, $12M fully guaranteed
  • McCown (2x):  1 yr, $6M fully guaranteed; 1 yr, $10M w/$5M in guarantees
  • Forte:  2 yrs, $$9M w/$6M in guarantees
  • Marshall:  3 yrs, $26M w/$9M in guarantees
  • Crowell:  3 yrs, $12M w/$4M in guarantees
  • Gilchrist:  4 yrs, $22M w/$3.5M in guarantees
  • Claiborne:  1 yr, $7M w/$6.9M in guarantees
  • Winters:  4 yrs, $29M w?$15M in guarantees

Mosley (5 yrs, $85M w/$43M in guarantees) won't be worth the contract we gave him regardless of how well he performs.  You just don't pay an ILB anywhere close to what we gave him.   The same is true for Bell (4 yrs, $52.5M w/$19M in guarantees) and the RB position.

He also took on the latter 2 years of the Raider deal for Osemele (resulting in $10.2M in dead money).

The jets approach to roster building has not changed since the tannenbaum days... except that Even though they cut big checks, nobody anymore knows the slightest thing about how to build the roster. If you want to overpay for your dream car, home whatever, and it’s made with top notch material fine. But it’s like they continually pay for a Maserati and drive off with a pre owned 2002 Hyundai. Annually. This list should go merge with the 1981 ticket flyer thread 

8 hours ago, Lizard King said:

The jets approach to roster building has not changed since the tannenbaum days... except that Even though they cut big checks, nobody anymore knows the slightest thing about how to build the roster. If you want to overpay for your dream car, home whatever, and it’s made with top notch material fine. But it’s like they continually pay for a Maserati and drive off with a pre owned 2002 Hyundai. Annually. This list should go merge with the 1981 ticket flyer thread 

Exactly. The Jets are a place where players go that want to be paid, not win. 

If your an agent, your checking in with the Jets. 

And so many people here were upset upon hearing Gase wanted nothing to go with Bell. Gase wanted to put a stop to the insanity but Jets fans always love free agency. The best free agent pick up by the Jets ever? Making Kevin Mawae the best paid center in the league.

Gonna be interesting to see JD go to work. We'll find out where his priorities are. 

• Upvote 3

On 1/16/2020 at 6:55 AM, Sperm Edwards said:

I don't think that's true. If it's a career ending injury, where a doctor says playing could cripple him because he's damaged goods after this last injury, he doesn't need to keep trying to return.

He's already been rehabbing and if he can't pass a physical (for playing football not for normal living) he can't pass a physical. He doesn't need to keep rehabbing to try to return to the field, and even if he tries his hardest, if he's now too slow or can't cut the same, that's a result of this on field injury and that's that: Jets pay as though he's made the roster, and again for half his salary next year ($4MM, to reach that full $20MM payout).

His money is guaranteed for injury. He doesn't need to be in a wheelchair to collect it. He might also try to return, figuring he makes more if he can stay on the field, as @#27TheDominator brings up, but it of course depends on how permanently hurt he really is.  

So yes, unless he returns, this contract -handed out while the player was again on IR, mind you - is $20MM for part of one game.

My thinking is Enunwa will know he is done and wont be able to pass a physical but will opt NOT to retire so the Jets are forced to pay his money. I think that is probably part of the rift that happen between him and the team. The Jets are probably trying to get him to retire.

On 1/17/2020 at 9:58 AM, bla bla bla said:

My thinking is Enunwa will know he is done and wont be able to pass a physical but will opt NOT to retire so the Jets are forced to pay his money. I think that is probably part of the rift that happen between him and the team. The Jets are probably trying to get him to retire.

Could be, but if his retirement was due to a career-ending injury sustained on the field I don’t think it matters; and if it does, an injured Enunwa’s certainly not forgoing $10MM in cash just to temporarily help the Jets‘ salary cap.

Another thought (by Enunwa or his agent) is if he returns to the field he could then get cut for skill, and nobody's guaranteeing him another $10MM over the next 2 years starting this March.

Unless he has confidence he will have guaranteed $6MM value to the 2020 Jets, which is a decision he won't have to make until after free agency and the draft are over, he has no incentive to say he's all better.

His smart money move is to stay injured. At least through final roster cutdowns (which would result in the Jets IR'ing him). He could still return midseason, and by then he's only risking his $4MM injury guarantee for 2021, while giving himself the opportunity to up those dollars on the field. Actually even that is only a risk if he makes it through the 2020 season healthy and gets cut for skill; if he gets hurt again after returning, he still gets that $4MM. 

How his agent got a $20MM injury guarantee boggles the mind, even from an imbecile like Maccagnan. The guy was yet again ON IR at the time, ffs!

• Upvote 4

41 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Could be. Another thought (by Enunwa or his agent) is if he returns to the field he could then get cut for skill, and nobody's guaranteeing him another $10MM over the next 2 years.

Unless he has confidence he will have guaranteed $6MM value to the 2020 Jets, which is a decision he won't have to make until after free agency and the draft are over, he has no incentive to say he's all better.

His smart money move is to stay injured. At least through final roster cutdowns (which would result in the Jets IR'ing him). He could still return midseason, and by then he's only risking his $4MM injury guarantee for 2021, while giving himself the opportunity to up those dollars on the field. Actually even that is only a risk if he makes it through the 2020 season healthy and gets cut for skill; if he gets hurt again after returning, he still gets that $4MM. 

How his agent got a $20MM injury guarantee boggles the mind, even from an imbecile like Maccagnan. The guy was yet again ON IR at the time, ffs!

The only answer. This was a lay up.

• Upvote 1

On 1/15/2020 at 10:24 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

• Trumaine:  5 yrs, $72.5M w/$34M in guarantees
  • Revis:  5 yrs, $70.1M w/$39M in guarantees
  • Enunwa:  4 yrs, $36M w/$20.5M in guarantees
  • Spencer Long:  4 yrs, $27.4M w/$6M in guarantees
  • Wilkerson:  5 yrs, $86M w/$37M in guarantees
  • Skrine:  4 yrs, $25M w/$13M in guarantees
  • Harris:  3 yrs, $21.5M w/$15M in guarantees
  • Cromartie:  4 yrs, $32M w/$7M in guarantees
  • Carpenter:  4 yrs, $19.1M w/$5M in guarantees
  • Kearse:  3 yrs, $13.5M w/$6.3M in guarantees
  • Fitzpatrick:  1 yr, $12M fully guaranteed
  • McCown (2x):  1 yr, $6M fully guaranteed; 1 yr, $10M w/$5M in guarantees
  • Forte:  2 yrs, $$9M w/$6M in guarantees
  • Marshall:  3 yrs, $26M w/$9M in guarantees
  • Crowell:  3 yrs, $12M w/$4M in guarantees
  • Gilchrist:  4 yrs, $22M w/$3.5M in guarantees
  • Claiborne:  1 yr, $7M w/$6.9M in guarantees
  • Winters:  4 yrs, $29M w?$15M in guarantees

Mosley (5 yrs, $85M w/$43M in guarantees) won't be worth the contract we gave him regardless of how well he performs.  You just don't pay an ILB anywhere close to what we gave him.   The same is true for Bell (4 yrs, $52.5M w/$19M in guarantees) and the RB position.

He also took on the latter 2 years of the Raider deal for Osemele (resulting in $10.2M in dead money).

Still waiting for a response from @Paccagnan on the "ramblings of a mad man", I.E., the facts.  

As bad as Macc was at drafting, he was, incredibly, even worse with his free agent pickups/contracts. 

• Upvote 1

Here's another reason they're not cutting him, even if he's cleared medically: the expiring CBA.

Typically they'd have a lot more flexibility to move others around, where cutting his $6MM would save $6MM. It still does, but they won't realize that savings in a lump sum because it'll accelerate an additional $3.6MM to the 2020 cap no matter when he's released. 

For the 2020 season alone, he's got a $7.8MM cap number to keep him or a $5.4MM cap number to dump him. To some it looks like cutting him only saves $2.4MM and it's therefore not worth it. But that is a myopic way of viewing things, unless we were realistic/likely SB contenders in 2020. 

What's typically overlooked in that one year analysis - as opposed to keeping him one more year and then cutting him (if he's healthy) after the 2020 season - is the future beyond, which is where the savings would ultimately be realized. There'd be another $6MM pushed forward to 2021 (we'd get a higher cap ceiling), by not spending it on his salary in 2020, plus the extra $3.6MM that accelerates to 2020 would be available in 2021. What will feel like just a $2.4MM savings in 2020 would additionally feel like a $9.6MM effective savings in 2021. In reality we're only saving $6MM in 2020 salary spending but it will feel very different. Unless I'm just on almost no sleep - which I am - and I'm not just counting the same dollars twice, lol. 

It's probably moot, as I expect him to exercise his injury guarantee. He injured his body, not his brain (and not his plus his wife's plus his agent's brains collectively). 

6 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Could be. Another thought (by Enunwa or his agent) is if he returns to the field he could then get cut for skill, and nobody's guaranteeing him another $10MM over the next 2 years starting this March.

That's exactly what I'm trying to say, I don't think Enunwa will be able to pass a physical at any point, I think his career is likely over. If I were him though I'd stay on the roster and continue with the injury cause it means he pockets another $7.8M

• Upvote 1

On 1/17/2020 at 9:00 AM, Jetster said:

Exactly. The Jets are a place where players go that want to be paid, not win. 

If your an agent, your checking in with the Jets. 

And so many people here were upset upon hearing Gase wanted nothing to go with Bell. Gase wanted to put a stop to the insanity but Jets fans always love free agency. The best free agent pick up by the Jets ever? Making Kevin Mawae the best paid center in the league.

Gonna be interesting to see JD go to work. We'll find out where his priorities are. 

The Roman Stoics used to encourage reading about highly successful individuals ... it’s like woody bought a series on pt Barnum 

On 1/17/2020 at 6:19 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

Still waiting for a response from @Paccagnan on the "ramblings of a mad man", I.E., the facts.  

As bad as Macc was at drafting, he was, incredibly, even worse with his free agent pickups/contracts. 

How can one defend Macc while denigrating Andy Reid? I don’t get it.