The most "New York" movie?

2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Good list but I'd add, The Godfather, Sleepers, I'd even add Cinderella man and Midnight Cowboy, Serpico, Dog day afternoon, French Connection.

My Grandfather worked the Braddock v Baer fight, NYPD. Told my Dad and Uncles about it. Both Braddock and Max Baer were apparently decent guys and were friendly towards each other, none of the animosity as portrayed in the movie was reality.

• Upvote 4

55 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Rants-Raves-Feelings section really needed. 

You mean, like, maybe a forum about random subjects? Maybe an, I don't know, "Lounge" type area, where random topics are discussed? Something like that? 

"I dont like talking about things, but when I do, it makes no sense!"

-joewilly12  January, 2020

• Upvote 2

There are so many which bring back memories of growing up in NYC during the 60s and 70s.  I can vividly see the grimy, sleazy Times Square area depicted in Midnight Cowboy.  Or NYC when it was seemingly down for the count in flicks like Serpico or The French Connection.  Plus, a sweet movie like Anne Bancroft's Fatso reminds me of an idyllic Greenwich Village.

As for Woody Allen?  No one ever shot the City better.  Every angle is like a master stroke from a gifted painter.

19 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

You mean, like, maybe a forum about random subjects? Maybe an, I don't know, "Lounge" type area, where random topics are discussed? Something like that? 

"I dont like talking about things, but when I do, it makes no sense!"

-joewilly12  January, 2020

What flavor/brand of  popcorn do you like when watching movies. 

Image result for popcorn gifs

24 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

There are so many which bring back memories of growing up in NYC during the 60s and 70s.  I can vividly see the grimy, sleazy Times Square area depicted in Midnight Cowboy.  Or NYC when it was seemingly down for the count in flicks like Serpico or The French Connection.  Plus, a sweet movie like Anne Bancroft's Fatso reminds me of an idyllic Greenwich Village.

As for Woody Allen?  No one ever shot the City better.  Every angle is like a master stroke from a gifted painter.

Brothers McMullen.  Pope of Greenwich Village.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

On 1/16/2020 at 6:16 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

Best: Do The Right Thing, Warriors, Escape from New York, Basketball Diaries, Saturday Night Fever, Sleepers, Rounders, He Got Game, Gangs of New York

Bestest Best: New Jack City

Bestest Best of all the Rest: Short Circuit 2

New Jack City: I starred in that one.

Ok, my car was in it.

OK, just the front bumper and wheel

Remember the opening scene? A girl is yelling for help. Wesley Snipes and his henchman are holding a guy over the railing of the 59th St Bridge who they eventually drop. This was in the summer when we used to drive to work in Manhattan then across that bridge to Northern Blvd for the daily Mets game. We're coming across in the right lane and in the extra lane that ran along side we see this girl yelling "help me ! help me ! they're going to kill him ! "  I throw the car in park and Mrs. Crimson starts laughing, "you idiot !" and points out the cameraman on his belly behind her and the helicopter off the bridge to our right, "besides, what are you going to do, him them with your briefcase?" Sure enough, the movie comes out and opens with that scene. After Snipes drops the guy, they pull a long shot and start the credits and our '82 Celica GTS noses into the scene before they cut it.  A couple of years later, that car got stolen, Figured they wanted it as a collectors item as a "movie car"

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Mrs Crimson just saw this and wanted to add her two cents:

West Side Story and Rear Window

She also said that Saturday Night Fever is ineligible. The whole thing is made up. The movie is based on a New Yorker article by an Australian who was sent here and never left his hotel room. The characters, the style and the way they acted were all pure fiction. The venue wasn't anything more than a dive two blocks from where she grew up in Dyker Heights. Unfortunately, it caught in so big that the Odyssey became big time, kids (called China Dolls and Chisel Heads by the locals after this) started dressing and acting like it and the dance culture took over. Set back music 20 years at least. If nothing else though, the floor that Travolta danced on made it to the Guggenheim.