The most "New York" movie?

New York is TV too.

White Collar (aired on USA with Tim DeKay and Matt Bomer) was practically a love letter to NY in the locations and shots used. 

A show on now, The Righteous Reagans, uh I mean Blue Bloods also shows a lot of the town.

There must be 100's more examples of this going back to the early days of television like the Naked City

So with all these shows and movies being taped here, any of you ever see it done? 

2 hours ago, section314 said:

A few more....Miracle on 34th ST.,  Arthur, Desperately Seeking Susan, Big.

Damn, how did I forget Arthur.  Absolutely loved that flick.  They almost threw me out of the theater for laughing so hard/loud at Dudley Moore's drunken banter.  And who could ever forget Gielgud's classic line: "Perhaps you'd like me to come in there to wash your dick for you?"  LMFAO!

At approx. 1:00 in the video below.

• Sympathy 1

On 1/17/2020 at 11:32 PM, The Crimson King said:

Mrs Crimson just saw this and wanted to add her two cents:

West Side Story and Rear Window

She also said that Saturday Night Fever is ineligible. The whole thing is made up. The movie is based on a New Yorker article by an Australian who was sent here and never left his hotel room. The characters, the style and the way they acted were all pure fiction. The venue wasn't anything more than a dive two blocks from where she grew up in Dyker Heights. Unfortunately, it caught in so big that the Odyssey became big time, kids (called China Dolls and Chisel Heads by the locals after this) started dressing and acting like it and the dance culture took over. Set back music 20 years at least. If nothing else though, the floor that Travolta danced on made it to the Guggenheim. 

As a Lamour metalhead teen growing up in Brooklyn at the time, hated the movie and hated disco. But the Bee Gees songs on the soundtrack are really good stuff. Oddly the Bee Gees wrote the music on spec without seeing any of the movie. The producers geave them some ideas about the plot, and they came up with the rest. Their songs hold up way better than a lot of music of any style from that time. 

The movie grows on me only as a piece of complete fiction. There were some very dumb cuigines back them, but from the movies you would think Brooklyn was a gorilla convention. Simply not the case . There was a lot more crossover than you might think.Sometimes Italian guys would go to rock concerts and Irish guys would go to dance clubs. 

"Staying Alive", the sequel, on the other hand, could be one of the worst money grab pieces of s__ ever made.

• Upvote 4

38 minutes ago, Bugg said:

As a Lamour metalhead teen growing up in Brooklyn at the time, hated the movie and hated disco. But the Bee Gees songs on the soundtrack are really good stuff. Oddly the Bee Gees wrote the music on spec without seeing any of the movie. The producers geave them some ideas about the plot, and they came up with the rest. Their songs hold up way better than a lot of music of any style from that time. 

The movie grows on me only as a piece of complete fiction. There were some very dumb cuigines back them, but from the movies you would think Brooklyn was a gorilla convention. Simply not the case . There was a lot more crossover than you might think.Sometimes Italian guys would go to rock concerts and Irish guys would go to dance clubs. 

"Staying Alive", the sequel, on the other hand, could be one of the worst money grab pieces of s__ ever made.

I grew up with a bunch of friends who were first generation Italians.  We were all long haired rockers who despised disco.  I can recall lots of clubs in Brooklyn and Long Island we went to which were bastions of rock before they changed over to disco/dance joints to meet the growing demand from Saturday Night Fever.  Folks forget, the Ramones as well as other "punk" bands were huge at that time and played all over that area.

Wish I could rep you for reminding me of L'Amour.  Think that was a club which originally began as a disco hang out but went over to rock but I may be wrong.  I saw The Plasmatics, White Lion, Zebra and so many other great bands there.  I miss those days.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, munchmemory said:

I grew up with a bunch of friends who were first generation Italians.  We were all long haired rockers who despised disco.  I can recall lots of clubs in Brooklyn and Long Island we went to which were bastions of rock before they changed over to disco/dance joints to meet the growing demand from Saturday Night Fever.  Folks forget, the Ramones as well as other "punk" bands were huge at that time and played all over that area.

Wish I could rep you for reminding me of L'Amour.  Think that was a club which originally began as a disco hang out but went over to rock but I may be wrong.  I saw The Plasmatics, White Lion, Zebra and so many other great bands there.  I miss those days.

Saw "Soft White Underbelly" there. Some oddity that Blue Oyster Cult's record company wouldn't let them tour arenas under a  certain size, so they instead pretended to be that to play local beer money  shows. Only a year or 2 before , saw them  on a joint bill at MSG with Dio/Black Sabbath. Think the record company knew and it was all BS, but a great show both times. 

• Post of the Week 1

On 1/15/2020 at 9:44 PM, Jet_Engine1 said:

Honestly for me and my childhood, and the way I remember NYC from.back then, I gotta go with......

Ghostbusters. 

The original, 1984. I can "feel" and smell the city in some scenes LOL. 

How about you guys? 

The Warriors is all about NYC in 1979

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

On 1/19/2020 at 10:02 AM, munchmemory said:

Munchmemory thank you. On July 11 my band opened up for overkill so that was awesome to see

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

2 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Munchmemory thank you. On July 11 my band opened up for overkill so that was awesome to see

What?  Wow, that's awesome, man.   How was the gig?

I could spend an hour listing all the amazing bands I saw there that we now know as famous.   Probably a ton more are gone from my mind with all the brain cells I destroyed in and out of that joint.   Was just so much of a fun place.

BTW, any of you folks remember two obscure rock clubs on Staten Island, The Factory way the f**k out in Prince's Bay and the Rock Palace in South Beach?  I saw a fantastic Ramone's show at The Factory in the days when their entire set was about 30 songs and 20 minutes.  LMFAO!   And the rock palace had great rock acts in what looked and felt like someone's home basement.

• Upvote 2

On 1/17/2020 at 11:53 PM, slowmoe57 said:

Way too many

But I watched one from the 70s the other day. "Across 110th Street" with Anthony Quinn .

How about 'The French Connection"

Loved those cop movies from that era.

When I was in high school at Dewey, there was some kind of copy-cat shooter pinging people from across the el with (I think it was) a (high quality pellet) gun.  I didn't realize that was the building where the chase started until decades later.  We are from the other side, off New Utrecht where the el turns off 86th street.  Closer to the baby carriage scene. 

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

I could spend an hour listing all the amazing bands I saw there that we now know as famous.   Probably a ton more are gone from my mind with all the brain cells I destroyed in and out of that joint.   Was just so much of a fun place.

BTW, any of you folks remember two obscure rock clubs on Staten Island, The Factory way the f**k out in Prince's Bay and the Rock Palace in South Beach?  I saw a fantastic Ramone's show at The Factory in the days when their entire set was about 30 songs and 20 minutes.  LMFAO!   And the rock palace had great rock acts in what looked and felt like someone's home basement.

Yea i remember the names but never been there. Like the soap factory in nj and club bene. I roadied for nuclear assault at club bene once.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

I saw the Ramones in the early 80's.  My friends complained that the only way to tell when the songs changed was that they screamed "1! 2! 3! 4!" in between.

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I saw the Ramones in the early 80's.  My friends complained that the only way to tell when the songs changed was that they screamed "1! 2! 3! 4!" in between.

Same here.  You waited for Dee Dee to yell that out and the next tune came blasting out at ridiculous speed and volume.  lol

4 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Dude, I hope you're writing a book of your adventures.

Lol i havent got much except for being in a philly hotel for a combat records video with members of forbidden and dark angel throwing full pizza pies out of a 19 th floor room and watching people react

then once in san antonio a drunk glen from nuclear assault took a drunk fat mexican chick into the bathroom for a bj. Well we heard him screaming broke the door down and there he was sitting with a boner caked in beans and rice with the chick passed out under him

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Lol i havent got much except for being in a philly hotel for a combat records video with members of forbidden and dark angel throwing full pizza pies out of a 19 th floor room and watching people react

then once in san antonio a drunk glen from nuclear assault took a drunk fat mexican chick into the bathroom for a bj. Well we heard him screaming broke the door down and there he was sitting with a boner caked in beans and rice with the chick passed out under him

LMFAO!

15 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Can’t wait to read the chapter on tape recorders in the workplace.