Jet_Engine1

The most "New York" movie?

There are so many which bring back memories of growing up in NYC during the 60s and 70s.  I can vividly see the grimy, sleazy Times Square area depicted in Midnight Cowboy.  Or NYC when it was seemingly down for the count in flicks like Serpico or The French Connection.  Plus, a sweet movie like Anne Bancroft's Fatso reminds me of an idyllic Greenwich Village.

As for Woody Allen?  No one ever shot the City better.  Every angle is like a master stroke from a gifted painter.

Just recalled two quirky flicks I enjoyed:  Liquid Sky and Scorsese's After Hours.

EDIT:  And who could forget the comedy gold of NYC based flicks like The Out of Towners, The Odd Couple or Moonstruck.

• Post of the Week 1

45 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Brothers McMullen.  Pope of Greenwich Village.  

Great ones.  "They cut off my thumb!".  

And I had such a crush on Maxine Bahns and a young Connie Britton in McMullen.  Dug the movie, too.  Lots of laughs.

Working Girl with Melanie Griffith was such an 80s flick.  I did that commute from Staten Island to NYC.

8787c4b740cae5599c32f3599914ae1d.gif

On 1/17/2020 at 5:16 AM, southparkcpa said:

Get it right..  They TOOK my thumb! :)   .19 mark

Many pardons, southpark.  WTF is wrong with me.  lol

Couple more:  My wife suggested The Devil Wears Prada.  Meryl Streep is great in it and I wanted to bang Emily Blunt.

I'll add a Charles Bronson classic:  Death Wish.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, section314 said:

A few more....Miracle on 34th ST.,  Arthur, Desperately Seeking Susan, Big.

Damn, how did I forget Arthur.  Absolutely loved that flick.  They almost threw me out of the theater for laughing so hard/loud at Dudley Moore's drunken banter.  And who could ever forget Gielgud's classic line: "Perhaps you'd like me to come in there to wash your dick for you?"  LMFAO!

At approx. 1:00 in the video below.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

Anyone mentioned Moonstruck?  

"Snap out of it!".  Yeah, I did earlier.  But it's such a great flick it deserves another mention.  The old man in that movie is a riot.  "I am so confused."

• Upvote 1

On the Waterfront gives a gritty portrait of the docks which were once a major fixture around Manhattan.  As a little kid in the early 60s, I can recall my dad taking me on the old Manhattan to Brooklyn Ferry and meeting relatives coming off ocean liners on the old docks on the West Side.

38 minutes ago, Bugg said:

As a Lamour metalhead teen growing up in Brooklyn at the time, hated the movie and hated disco. But the Bee Gees songs on the soundtrack are really good stuff. Oddly the Bee Gees wrote the music on spec without seeing any of the movie. The producers geave them some ideas about the plot, and they came up with the rest. Their songs hold up way better than a lot of music of any style from that time. 

The movie grows on me only as a piece of complete fiction. There were some very dumb cuigines back them, but from the movies you would think Brooklyn was a gorilla convention. Simply not the case . There was a lot more crossover than you might think.Sometimes Italian guys would go to rock concerts and Irish guys would go to dance clubs. 

"Staying Alive", the sequel, on the other hand, could be one of the worst money grab pieces of s__ ever made.

I grew up with a bunch of friends who were first generation Italians.  We were all long haired rockers who despised disco.  I can recall lots of clubs in Brooklyn and Long Island we went to which were bastions of rock before they changed over to disco/dance joints to meet the growing demand from Saturday Night Fever.  Folks forget, the Ramones as well as other "punk" bands were huge at that time and played all over that area.

Wish I could rep you for reminding me of L'Amour.  Think that was a club which originally began as a disco hang out but went over to rock but I may be wrong.  I saw The Plasmatics, White Lion, Zebra and so many other great bands there.  I miss those days.

• Upvote 2

Two that showcased wealthy New Yorkers: One is the only flick where I actually liked Will Smith's performance:  Six Degrees of Separation. The other is Cruel Intentions which has one of the hottest kissing scenes ever.

source.gif

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Munchmemory thank you. On July 11 my band opened up for overkill so that was awesome to see

What?  Wow, that's awesome, man.   How was the gig?

I could spend an hour listing all the amazing bands I saw there that we now know as famous.   Probably a ton more are gone from my mind with all the brain cells I destroyed in and out of that joint.   Was just so much of a fun place.

BTW, any of you folks remember two obscure rock clubs on Staten Island, The Factory way the f**k out in Prince's Bay and the Rock Palace in South Beach?  I saw a fantastic Ramone's show at The Factory in the days when their entire set was about 30 songs and 20 minutes.  LMFAO!   And the rock palace had great rock acts in what looked and felt like someone's home basement.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Yea i remember the names but never been there. Like the soap factory in nj and club bene. I roadied for nuclear assault at club bene once.

Dude, I hope you're writing a book of your adventures.

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I saw the Ramones in the early 80's.  My friends complained that the only way to tell when the songs changed was that they screamed "1! 2! 3! 4!" in between.

Same here.  You waited for Dee Dee to yell that out and the next tune came blasting out at ridiculous speed and volume.  lol

3 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Lol i havent got much except for being in a philly hotel for a combat records video with members of forbidden and dark angel throwing full pizza pies out of a 19 th floor room and watching people react

then once in san antonio a drunk glen from nuclear assault took a drunk fat mexican chick into the bathroom for a bj. Well we heard him screaming broke the door down and there he was sitting with a boner caked in beans and rice with the chick passed out under him

LMFAO!

2 hours ago, Biggs said:

Motherless Brooklyn.  

Had not heard of the flick.  Looks cool.  Thanks.

11 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Let me know what you think.  

Just mentioned this to my wife who said she read the book and liked it.  Maybe we'll watch it this weekend.

4 hours ago, Biggs said:

Sounds like you have a pretty cool wife.  

I definitely married well.  A complete psychotic Jet fan and NFL in general.  Actually enjoys watching games all day on Sunday with me.  No joke, just bought several boxes at work for the SB.  

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

The Taking of Pelham 123.   Original especially.   

Gazumteit.....

Loved that flick.  Most shocking part of this trailer is the shot of an almost traffic-less FDR.

• Upvote 1

On 1/23/2020 at 7:14 PM, Biggs said:

Let me know what you think.  

Tried to watch it yesterday but it's not streamable yet.  Will let you know once I ever catch the flick.  Thanks again.

23 hours ago, JetPotato said:

This is my favorite post because the guy tried to blame "his wife" for his first choice being Devil Wears Prada, and then he still didn't feel manly enough, so he threw Death Wish out there.

Blame?  Project much?  

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company