Avery Williamson?

Jetster

Provided this guy is 100% healthy when camp starts, could he return a 3rd rounder? His salary is only 6.5 Million which is very reasonable for a starter & from what I've seen watching the NFL there are a lot bad defenses out there. 

I could see JD dangling him to see what he could bring. If nothing transpires you keep him & have a good deep LB core with CJ back & all of the guys who got experience with all of the injuries we had. Sucks that our offense needs so much help because this defense is as close to dominant as you can get with a pass rusher & CB. 

Just amazing how Macc never moved around in the draft to target any needs. That's one thing I'll give Tannenbaum credit for, sure he had misses but he had somewhat of a clue. Macc just seemed like he picked guys regardless of our needs. How much better off would we be going into this coming draft with Josh Allen instead of QW? 

• Upvote 1

It’s extremely unfortunate that Mosley and Williamson couldn’t be on the field together. That would’ve been a very good linebacker duo. Unfortunately, Gase had Williamson playing deep in a meaningless preseason game. 

Personally, I’d bring him back and focus on re-signing Jenkins. I’d also sign a CB and a pass rusher. 

• Upvote 3

Provided this guy is 100% healthy when camp starts, could he return a 3rd rounder? His salary is only 6.5 Million which is very reasonable for a starter & from what I've seen watching the NFL there are a lot bad defenses out there.  I could see JD dangling him to see what he could bring. If nothing transpires you keep him & have a good deep LB core with CJ back & all of the guys who got experience with all of the injuries we had. Sucks that our offense needs so much help because this defense is as close to dominant as you can get with a pass rusher & CB. 

Just amazing how Macc never moved around in the draft to target any needs. That's one thing I'll give Tannenbaum credit for, sure he had misses but he had somewhat of a clue. Macc just seemed like he picked guys regardless of our needs. How much better off would we be going into this coming draft with Josh Allen instead of QW? 

Not to rain on your parade .. but CJ may never be the same CJ. 

giphy.gif?cid=349c9dd70a83247212e4742080dc1bd72754d60dc2443377%26rid=giphy.gif&key=dacb487c0064d5c8edcd1021bfd15fce95be19d67bd12345382eaec7b4a6e013

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

No one is trading anywhere near a 3rd round pick for him. He hasn’t seen the field yet since a bad injury, so it’s no sure thing in 2020 he’s already as good as 2018/prior, and only has that one year left on his contract anyway.

He isn’t getting traded and isn’t taking a pay cut. He’s a Jet in 2020 or he’s getting cut to clear cap space. 

I don’t think people are scared of ACL injuries anymore. Williamson’s contract is desirable for a team that might need an upgrade at ILB. I wouldn’t be surprised if he fetches a 3rd rounder from a team like the Chiefs or Jaguars or Browns. 

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, KRL said:

With Hewitt, Burgess and Cashman I'll be shocked if he isn't cut
in February to save $6 million in cap space.  Good player who got hurt at a bad time

We would have to resign Hewitt and he has proven to be a solid starter, so we would have to sign him to starter money. With that, we may not save much by cutting Williamson (2 mil maybe?). If we can trade him, I say do it, but unless that 2 mil helps sign someone else (Robby?) I am not sure how much sense it makes to cut him. As I said, we won’t be paying Hewitt what we paid him this year. 

At first I thought cutting him was a no brainer but the most recent JN podcast made this point and it kind of makes sense. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

No one is trading anywhere near a 3rd round pick for him. He hasn’t seen the field yet since a bad injury, so it’s no sure thing in 2020 he’s already as good as 2018/prior, and only has that one year left on his contract anyway.

He isn’t getting traded and isn’t taking a pay cut. He’s a Jet in 2020 or he’s getting cut to clear cap space. 

Never thought we would get a third for Leo but here we are. Not too many people are scared of that injury these days either, it seems. This would be the best case scenario. 

Right now we don't  know what we have at ILB in either CJ or Avery so until you get an answer on that, you have to stand pat. Best case scenario  is Avery and CJ come back healthy next season and we have two dynamic players at ILB, worst case, niether can play to the level they had. In any case, nobody is going to give us anything resembling  value in a trade if Avery can come back the same. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ghost said:

It’s extremely unfortunate that Mosley and Williamson couldn’t be on the field together. That would’ve been a very good linebacker duo. Unfortunately, Gase had Williamson playing deep in a meaningless preseason game. 

Personally, I’d bring him back and focus on re-signing Jenkins. I’d also sign a CB and a pass rusher. 

I don't think the shame was him not playing with Mosley.  I think the shame was him not being there when Mosley went down.  He was the backup play caller.  I think that is why he was playing late in a preseason game.  To add stability and practice making the play calls.  As I understand it, that was the explanation for the D falling apart when Mosley went down against Buffalo week 1.  Mosley and Williamson were the #1 and backup to make the calls.  #3 had less than a week on the job and even the other vets hadn't had much time in Gregg Williams system

18 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

I don’t think people are scared of ACL injuries anymore. Williamson’s contract is desirable for a team that might need an upgrade at ILB. I wouldn’t be surprised if he fetches a 3rd rounder from a team like the Chiefs or Jaguars or Browns. 

Don't the Chiefs already have cap issues?  Surprised you didn't mention the Panthers with Keuchly retiring.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, KRL said:

With Hewitt, Burgess and Cashman I'll be shocked if he isn't cut
in February to save $6 million in cap space.  Good player who got hurt at a bad time

Hewiit and Burgess were decent surprises. 

Cashman is injury prone and cannot stay on the field college and the NFL proves that. 

2 hours ago, Ghost said:

If we are going to give Williams all of the credit for a successful Jet defense perhaps he also bears some blame for keeping Williamson on the field as long as he did in that preseason game.  One of Gase's best moments was when he took the blame for Williamson's injury despite the fact that Williams was calling all of the shots on defense.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Ghost said:

I'm pretty sure you have to blame Greg Williams on that one - highly doubt Gase was shuffling defensive players in and out.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Ghost said:

It’s extremely unfortunate that Mosley and Williamson couldn’t be on the field together. That would’ve been a very good linebacker duo. Unfortunately, Gase Gregg Williams (Gase took the blame like a good HC) had Williamson playing deep in a meaningless preseason game. 

Gregg

1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

Now where did I just read something about a team that needs a sudden upgrade at ILB?

Seriously...would the Panthers not be your first call?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

Being scared of returning at all, or being scared of eventually returning to prior form, isn't the same as betting on it in year 1 returning and making a trade to bet on it in March/April after a mid-August injury. Oh yeah, and then as a further deterrent to doing so, he's a UFA after just 1 season. 

I'd be very surprised if he fetches a 3rd rounder. 

21 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

I think they lock in on Isaiah Simmons unless they plan to move on from Cam.

They've been linked to Derrick Brown a lot as their run defense was awful.  Could go Simmon instead and deal with DT later.  In any case, they have to be looking at options in FA but there are actually some good UFAs at ILB this year so I'm not holding my breath on moving Williamson anyway.

1 hour ago, Drums said:

Never thought we would get a third for Leo but here we are. Not too many people are scared of that injury these days either, it seems. This would be the best case scenario. 

Leo was 100% healthy, has a recent #6 overall pedigree, and despite our disappointment plays a much higher-valued position. Not the same. 

There could be some eye-of-beholder people (including at least one on the Giants) who think he's ready to finally take that big leap forward as he enters his prime, and fully realize his initial hoopla. Is there a GM anywhere who believes Williamson is about to explode better than ever in 2020?

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, SR24 said:

We don’t have many good football players and we’d only save 6 mil I’d just keep him. Maybe trade him at the deadline depending on how the seasons going 

Agreed. Avery Williamson was a huge loss in the pre-season. The juice is worth the squeeze...the risk is worth the potential reward. Keep Avery. 

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

I'll take Williamson over Measly any day.  

Did you watch the first BUF game?  Moseley was incredible.  In 46 snaps (about 3 quarters I think) he had 4 solo tackles, 2 assisted tackles, 1 INT/TD, 2 PDs and 1 Fumble Recovery,  That's an entire season's worth of production for some of our previous starting LBs.  The only question is if he can come back healthy.  If he can, he should be one of the very top LBs in the league.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SR24 said:

We don’t have many good football players and we’d only save 6 mil I’d just keep him. Maybe trade him at the deadline depending on how the seasons going 

Agreed

Last time he was on the field he was one of our better defensive players.

Its a position where he is needed and at only 6 mil, 80+ mil of cap space why they rush to trade him for 30 cents on a dollar?

Have him play and have his trade value increase for next year if a trade is to be made

42 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Mosley and Williamson at LB why can't we have nice things. 

Because James Burgass, Neville Hewitt and Blake Cashman are plenty enough solid depth and we need as many picks as we can get.

this 

1.) Frees up 6.5 million we can out towards OL in FA.

2.) the young guys can smoothly continue to develop.

Didnt Luke Keuchly just retire? Avery Williamson would be a steal for Carolina as long as they’re willing to cough up a decent pick.

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

Did you watch the first BUF game?  Moseley was incredible.  In 46 snaps (about 3 quarters I think) he had 4 solo tackles, 2 assisted tackles, 1 INT/TD, 2 PDs and 1 Fumble Recovery,  That's an entire season's worth of production for some of our previous starting LBs.  The only question is if he can come back healthy.  If he can, he should be one of the very top LBs in the league.

He got paid, and Mo/Revis has jaded me.  Avery seems to genuinely care about the Jets.  I hope I'm wrong, but CJ seems fat and happy.