Arrest warrant issued for OBJ

Vudu

ProFootballTalk: Arrest warrant issued for Odell Beckham over alleged battery on police officer https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/16/arrest-warrant-issued-for-odell-beckham-over-alleged-battery-on-police-officer/

Browns wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. is potentially in legal trouble over an incident that took place in LSU’s locker room after Monday night’s national championship game.

Video appears to show Beckham slap the butt of a police officer who was in LSU’s locker room. NOLA.com reports that New Orleans police obtained an arrest warrant accusing Beckham of simple battery in connection with the incident.

The report said authorities originally wanted Beckham charged with misdemeanor sexual battery, but a judge denied that request.

Beckham, who played at LSU, was celebrating with the team on the field and in the locker room after they won the national championship. Beckham has already been under scrutiny over potentially breaking NCAA rules by handing cash to players, but this legal scrutiny is potentially much more problematic for him.

After Beckham appeared to slap the officer, the officer turned around and exchanged words with Beckham, but he was not arrested at the time.

36 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Did you see the video though?

My initial reaction upon hearing this was the same....guessing that OBJ gave a security guard a playful "player slap" the same way coaches smack a guy on the rear when he comes off the field following a good play.

This was not that.

He sized up the guard in the locker room and smacked the dudes ass, then OBJ backed up from the guard knowing what he did wasn't right, then seemed to mock or taunt the guy.

This wasn't harmless fun.  This was a rich, entitled prick thinking he's on his home turf in the LSU locker room and essentially bullying a security guard.

In a world that overreacts to trivial things this was something that shouldn't be ignored or let slide IMO.

I am sorry, but from what I saw I disagree.  This is a major overreaction. 

Not a good idea by Beckham, but arresting him?  Was that really criminal?

Here's the video 

https://www.tmz.com/2020/01/16/odell-beckham-simple-battery-warrant-locker-room-butt-slap-lsu/

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

My initial reaction upon hearing this was the same....guessing that OBJ gave a security guard a playful "player slap" the same way coaches smack a guy on the rear when he comes off the field following a good play.

This was not that.

He sized up the guard in the locker room and smacked the dudes ass, then OBJ backed up from the guard knowing what he did wasn't right, then seemed to mock or taunt the guy.

This wasn't harmless fun.  This was a rich, entitled prick thinking he's on his home turf in the LSU locker room and essentially bullying a security guard.

In a world that overreacts to trivial things this was something that shouldn't be ignored or let slide IMO.

LOL wut.

he didn’t size anyone up. He got behind him and gave him a little slap on the cheeks when he was inspecting the bottle. This should totally be ignored. Yeah OBj is still a dumbass but wtf no, this wasn’t that bad at all. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

9 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

This was not that.

Just to clarify, the arrest was a slap in the butt of a cop. I was security for 5 years and would still be a civilian at that time so slapping me then in the butt is much different then a cop. Though in each case it can be considered simple assault. Difference is against a cop you have a much better chance of losing the case.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

That is f*cking ridiculous. What the f*ck is the cop even doing there? 

Jubilant team messes around shocker. Jesus christ.

Harassing young men after a national championship. What, did he catch wind there was alcohol in the bottle? Who knows. But he was being a d*ck from the very start. OBJ was a cornball intoxicated goof .... idk if he should be arrested for it. He didn’t smack him in the face.

8 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

So you’d like it done to you? You’d be cool with someone you don’t know striking you in a way that made you feel uncomfortable? And yes, it’s a violation of the law, therefore it’s criminal. 

Maybe he wouldn’t like it done to him. 

Is that a reason to put that guy in jail for a little pat on the buttocks?

idk I think older people(no offense, seriously NO offense, I just think there’s a correlation between generations and differing opinions here) are going to take this really seriously. I expect nothing less.

Just now, Patriot Killa said:

And that is the problem with a lot of authorities, imo. 

They’d taze him because they can. Just like they pressed charges on him because they can.

again, agreed, idiotic move. I just can’t get on board with having it on my mind so heavy and taking is SO personally, that the next day, I wake up out of bed and proceed to press charges on the guy. 

frustrated ryan gosling GIF

2 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

1 - OBJ is not going to jail. He’ll bond out or be released on his own recognizance. 

2 - If the officer was a woman, would he have done the same thing? Would you regard it in the same way? Let’s not “boys will be boys” a violation of someone’s personal space and body. 

3 - I’m not old and I think this isn’t a big deal but I still think there should be repercussions for it. 

Definitely will bond out, just the fact he did all of that the next morning though lol. Weird flex.

We can agree to disagree here. I can see this thread being locked in the near future as it might be a touchy subject when more posters get in here and begin to express their opinions on the law, ect. and they get deeper into the discussion of it.

i can see this one getting messy. I’ma probably just leave it alone from here LOL. 

I respect what people like you and @jetstream23 are saying here though even if I strongly disagree.

• Upvote 1

I agree with what seems to be the majority sentiment here.  Cops and guards should not be poking around the locker room while the players are celebrating the biggest win of their lives.  Narcotics?  Sure, step in.  But otherwise, stay out of the way and don't be a douche.  But then Louisiana cops do have a reputation for being exactly that.  I'm surprised the coaching staff wasn't trying to keep things from spinning into multiple arrests.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

21 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

So you’d like it done to you? You’d be cool with someone you don’t know striking you in a way that made you feel uncomfortable? And yes, it’s a violation of the law, therefore it’s criminal. 

No, but if someone did it to me I don't think they should be arrested.

Sometimes people do Duechy things - it happens.  I can pride myself on being a better person, but I don't think our police force and court systems should be putting out arrest warrants for stupid stuff like this...

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I don't blame OBJ.  For a diminutive male, that cop is smokin' hot.  Kinda like a NOLA Hobbit.

Thanks for the video. Looked like, IMO,  that cop was just lookin to start something.  WTF? A Gatorade bottle ? Get real.

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I am sorry, but from what I saw I disagree.  This is an major overreaction. 

Not a good idea by Beckham, but arresting him?  Was that really criminal?

https://www.tmz.com/2020/01/16/odell-beckham-simple-battery-warrant-locker-room-butt-slap-lsu/

16 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

LOL wut.

he didn’t size anyone up. He got behind him and gave him a little slap on the cheeks when he was inspecting the bottle. This should totally be ignored. Yeah OBj is still a dumbass but wtf no, this wasn’t that bad at all. 

Completely understand and respect those opinions, and I usually don't make a big deal out of things like this because I think we're in a time where everyone overreacts and is offended by stuff.  In fact, I'm not really making a big deal here either.  I'm just saying this behavior can't be ignored or allowed to slide.

If you or I smacked the ass of a female police officer at Starbucks we wouldn't be here typing on a message board because our hands would be behind our backs in handcuffs.  That's also why the charge of misdemeanor sexual battery is very, very interesting here.  OBJ is fairly well known/rumored to be bisexual.  I wouldn't be surprised if this security guard heard from his co-workers the next day that, "You know that guy is gay, right?  The guy that grabbed your ass instead of tapping you on the shoulder to get your attention...yeah, he likes dudes".  And, this isn't a commentary on anyone's sexual orientation at all, it's just the reality that the double-standard of women being assaulted, harassed, etc. by males sometimes doesn't carry over the other way.

I'm not saying OBJ should go to jail and the idea that this was any form of "sexual battery" is a little over the top.  But I also hate the idea of ignoring behavior like this and letting it go simply because some rich, entitled prick thinks he can do whatever he wants to whomever he wants when he thinks he's on his home turf in the LSU locker room.

Maybe there's some other remedy or punishment besides filing charges like this, but I'm 100% in the camp that "do nothing" about it isn't really the right approach.

Just my two cents.

• Upvote 3

Just now, dbatesman said:

Yes, if this situation were totally different, people would probably feel totally different about it. 

Something we can actually agree on^ 

Being a female cop and doing this to her is actually very different whether people want to admit it or not. Is that fair? not my call. But it is totally different, regardless.