Beltran out as Mets Skipper

Sarge4Tide

9 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Fans want the name they recognize.

Beltran was a great player, Girardi a post game interview every night.

Lot of Mets fans were more than happy with Beltran

Usually we agree on most things but I gotta disagree with this.  I’m not saying people hated the Beltran hiring but I think it’s fair today many wanted Girardi and not because of name recognition 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

So when you read "Beltran out as Mets skipper" you were expecting what, football talk?

LOL

Nope. 

Just another golden opportunity to point out that watching a baseball game is almost as agonizing as accidentally stepping on a yellow jacket nest. 

I live in Florida.   Got invited to a Spring training game last year.  I made it until the bottom of the third... then had to get outta there.

First time I tried to watch in 20 years.   Maybe in another 20?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

Usually we agree on most things but I gotta disagree with this.  I’m not saying people hated the Beltran hiring but I think it’s fair today many wanted Girardi and not because of name recognition 

I get it, don't blame anyone who wanted Girardi.

But I remember his mistakes with the Yankees, the lousy job with the bullpen, alienating Sanchez, one WS win with 10 really good Yankee teams while being a pain in the ass, making no friends in management.

Hes smart and handles the press well.  Guessing he would command respect in the locker at the start.  Id rather have Showlater

7 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Nope. 

Just another golden opportunity to point out that watching a baseball game is almost as agonizing as accidentally stepping on a yellow jacket nest. 

I live in Florida.   Got invited to a Spring training game last year.  I made it until the bottom of the third... then had to get outta there.

First time I tried to watch in 20 years.   Maybe in another 20?

Im the opposite.  Football is my favorite.  Hockey probably 2nd.  I have no problem going to Port St Lucie, Jupitor or WPB for spring training games.  Hot as balls in the sun though.

I've been watch the Amazing Mets since that first championship run, spent many days in the stands of Shea with my late father.  He was a huge fan from the days of the Brooklyn Dodgers.

Was so much fun watching that team go on its improbable run.  I get that its slow.  But for the lazy days of summer?  

Lots of baseball fans think football is stupid so there's that

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

But I remember his mistakes with the Yankees, the lousy job with the bullpen, alienating Sanchez, one WS win with 10 really good Yankee teams while being a pain in the ass, making no friends in management.

Hes smart and handles the press well.  Guessing he would command respect in the locker at the start.  Id rather have Showlater

I respect that.  I guess my biggest issue is our owners GM.  They clearly don’t want to pay for a experienced manager and they don’t want to give them full autonomy 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Im the opposite.  Football is my favorite.  Hockey probably 2nd.  I have no problem going to Port St Lucie, Jupitor or WPB for spring training games.  Hot as balls in the sun though.

I've been watch the Amazing Mets since that first championship run, spent many days in the stands of Shea with my late father.  He was a huge fan from the days of the Brooklyn Dodgers.

Was so much fun watching that team go on its improbable run.  I get that its slow.  But for the lazy days of summer?  

Lots of baseball fans think football is stupid so there's that

We agree on hockey. 

I never watch until the playoffs... but it is the best spectator sport IMO.  The sport has everything.   Crazy fast action.   A nice flow to the game with limited interruption/choppiness.   And the way the close games end are fantastic!   A furious flurry of trying to equalize, pulling the goalie, etc.

I also love futbol, aka soccer (I hate that word.)   I know people think that sport is slow... and admittedly some matches are... but it has many of the same qualities of hockey.  The sports move and flow similarly.  How it often takes the perfect pass, and/or something clever and creative to break down the opposition on an odd-man rush.  Teams working the puck/ball around the blue line or the 18 yard box... looking for enough space and the right time to strike. 

Just the skates and line changes allow one to move much faster.  But both are beautiful.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

I respect that.  I guess my biggest issue is our owners GM.  They clearly don’t want to pay for a experienced manager and they don’t want to give them full autonomy 

Well in fairness they wanted a young guy who has embraced analytics to some degree.  Girardi has 0 use for analytics, most experienced, older managers would probably fall into that same type of manager

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Well in fairness they wanted a young guy who has embraced analytics to some degree.  Girardi has 0 use for analytics, most experienced, older managers would probably fall into that same type of manager

That’s what they say but given their past I have a tough time believing that money and autonomy wasn’t an issue.  But I respect your opinion 

11 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

I also love futbol, aka soccer (I hate that word.)   I know people think that sport is slow... and admittedly some matches are... but it has many of the same qualities of hockey.  The sports move and flow similarly.  How it often takes something clever and creative to break down the opposition on an odd-man rush.  Teams working the puck/ball around the blue line or the 18 yard line... looking for enough space and the right time to strike. 

I've found a new appreciation of soccer.  

Got into a debate with a Brit who thought Americans were pricks for naming the game soccer, should change the name of football to some other name given how the games are played.  Until I pointed out to him that American football came way before soccer, already was in existence when soccer was introduced to the world. American Football was here first

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

That’s what they say but given their past I have a tough time believing that money and autonomy wasn’t an issue.  But I respect your opinion 

Not sure, they have hired experience managers like Colins and quite a few others, and first timers like Beltran.  First timers are a definite trend in all of baseball right now.  Look at the Yankees, Boston, Dodgers, etc all hired first time managers

Think its all on the managers and abilities, not whether they're experienced or not.  We've seen that trend in other sports, like football too

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Not sure, they have hired experience managers like Colins and quite a few others, and first timers like Beltran.  First timers are a definite trend in all of baseball right now.  Look at the Yankees, Boston, Dodgers, etc all hired first time managers

I understand that and I’m not against them.  Personally I felt a Girardi was the best fit considering where the team is as a win now team 

• Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Good.

you cheat and get caught, you suffer the consequences.

simple as that.

Actually it's not that simple

There is no shred of evidence that anyone has seen by the public, media etc that says he cheated.  

As was said last night lots of players would turn down and have turned down clues as to what pitch is coming

I find it funny all the people i know blast brady and bellicheck for years over cheating are showing sympathy for Beltran. This is literally what you acused pats fans of, looking the other way for your guy. 

Beltran didn;t win crap for the Mets either.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

I agree, I don't think Girardi is that great.

I liked the Beltran hiring, and thought he could be really good for the Mets.  (Yes, I'm a Yankee fan)

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I am not sticking up for him, just asking what he did specifically.

He cheated.

He was a key player, along with Cora the bench coach, in the planning and execution of the cheating activity.  Claiming you don;t know this just means you're willfully not reading about it tbqh.  

Let me be clear, every player who knew about this should also face punishment.  But Beltran as a Coach now was 100% untenable for the Mets and the Mets know it. 

Hence his firing, sorry, "mutual parting of the ways".

11 minutes ago, funaz said:

I find it funny all the people i know blast brady and bellicheck for years over cheating are showing sympathy for Beltran. This is literally what you acused pats fans of, looking the other way for your guy. 

Beltran didn;t win crap for the Mets either.

0 sympathy from me you f with the bull you get the horns

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

He cheated.

He was a key player, along with Cora the bench coach, in the planning and execution of the cheating activity.  Claiming you don;t know this just means you're willfully not reading about it tbqh.  

Let me be clear, every player who knew about this should also face punishment.  But Beltran as a Coach now was 100% untenable for the Mets and the Mets know it. 

Hence his firing, sorry, "mutual parting of the ways".

My only thought is that you can't understand the words "What specifically did Beltran do"?

That is neither making a stake of "Guilty" or "innocent", nor if he should be managing.

MLB did not do a good job of saying what players were all involved, nor what the involvement was. They probably purposefully were not clear.