Beltran out as Mets Skipper

Sarge4Tide

1 minute ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

Buck would be great , but Brodie doesn't have the balls to deal with Buck .  Because Buck has a backbone . Brodie wants a YES-MAN .

I'm not a Mets fan but plenty of my family members are and it would be tragic if their GM has a huge ego and holds the team back by hiring an inferior manager.

Call the plane guys.  No joke.  Fly a banner in Flushing screaming for Showalter.

SAR I

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

I don't get why MLB allowed the press to run wild with this one, allowing one and one player only to be punished for what the Astros and Red Sox did.  

Because he was hired became Mets manager.  If he passed on the Mets his name is forgotten 

That’s because you’re watching a pr coverup. This is about as bad as the black sox scandal with two of the last three world series winners being cheaters. 
manfred wants damage control so who takes the fall? The GM and manager of each team. Pretty convenient that the fall guys are the guys without collective bargaining power huh?

Players have the players association who i’m sure would go the nuclear option and would be difficult to control. And here are the owners who conveniently get to look like the good guys by “volunteering” to fire the guys. “Ignorance is not an excuse” yet Crane got a shoutout for “not being aware it was happening”. They are banking on the managers of these teams not to spill the beans by holding this looming suspension over their heads. 

I think Manfred is bungling this. He should have just brought in an independent investigator and gone ham on punishments to prove that this has severe consequences. Similar to what Adam silver did for donald sterling. The way it is now, it’s going to be death by a thousand paper cuts with the truth eventually leaking out as people will lose the incentive to be quiet. Teams have a gag order right now but they are steaming at the light punishment the Astros received. 

• Upvote 1

I wonder what Stevie Cohen's role has been, if any, in all that happened this past week? Beltran was hired before the news of his becoming 80% owner was disclosed. Was he a Beltran guy? Since Cohen is the Wilpons financial lifeline, and MLB's answer to the prayer to get rid of them and get the Mets back to being what baseball needs the NL team in New York to be, is he using his leverage to orchestrate these moves? If Terry Collins comes back to manage this team this year, until MLB approves Stevie 's deal, I think it says volumes. For one, it tells you that Brodie is history. Truth be told, he probably should have followed Beltran out the door yesterday.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Warfish said:

Spectacular Pats-Fan-like scenes. :-k

So tell me, Nut, why would the Mets fire a guy who didn't cheat, didn't take part in planning/designing the cheating and didn't take signs, eh?

Because the internet (almost all non-Met fans) said they should?

A little source for you:

And from MLB's OWN SITE: https://www.mlb.com/news/carlos-beltran-steps-down-as-mets-manager

Beltran was clearly involved.  He is a cheater.  You'd have to be a Pats Fan to believe he wasn't.

Guess we have alot of closet pro-cheating Pats Fans round here.

Stop with the Pats fan BS.  That came out after I wrote what I wrote.  If true, I was wrong.  If true, MLB was wrong in like the Mitchell Report, they promised players they wouldn't be outed.

And nothing I wrote without this was wrong.  Not every player wants and uses this info. 

14 hours ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

If he got fired, it’s because he was part of the cheating. ( they know just how involved he was)

The whole purpose for them firing him now is because this was only gonna get worse, public relations wise.

Agree. 

Every visit to cities on their schedule would have been a nightmare for all on the team.

14 hours ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

This is about as bad as the black sox scandal with two of the last three world series winners being cheaters. 

Nothing comes close to the Red Sox scandal.  Gamblers involved and the outcomes of games thrown.

Pete Rose's scandal was worse.  Again gamblers involved and the outcomes of games in serious jeopardy .

This is probably worse from the coverage of what the Astros and Sox.  Signs have been stolen for decades 

4 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

And nothing I wrote without this was wrong. 

Whatever you need to tell yourself Nut.

Beltran is a documented cheater in MLB's own words. 

And he no longer is the Manager of the Mets. 

The only two facts that matter in this story at the end of the day.

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

/facepalm

At the time, going off what was said and I thought was going to be released.  Yes he was.  I said I was wrong going by what you posted.  I guess that’s not enough.  I’m as delusional as Pats fans. 

face palm GIFLOL

53 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Whatever you need to tell yourself Nut.

Beltran is a documented cheater in MLB's own words. 

And he no longer is the Manager of the Mets. 

The only two facts that matter in this story at the end of the day.

What mlb did NOT say was precisely what he did that was cheating. They were overly protective of the players involved. Deceptively so.

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Nope, you're good, I'm good, MLB is good, we're all good my friend :)

(Note, I removed my initial facepalm reaction.).

LOL, I wasn't mad, I found that gif and included it for fun.  

We're in a cool place, don't want to mess it up.

Though I really despise that youre a Pats fan.  LOL

On 1/16/2020 at 5:09 PM, Jet Nut said:

Given that Beltran is a retired player, MLBPA will do nothing 

There is no way for anyone in an investigation to know who used the info and cheated and who didnt.  If yo guess and punish one, you have to punish all

The idea that its a Boston thing makes no sense,  If you were right, they wouldn't be giving Cora a bigger suspension the the Houston contingent.

The Boston paranoia goes from the Pats to the Red Sox?  Guess those 100 or so years without a championship proves it

We’re only seeing the tip of the iceberg.  Manfred is making the managers the scapegoats because big names on both Houston and Boston were involved

4F279CD2-F9B5-45E8-AA99-21734E7D2AA0.jpeg

• Upvote 1

On 1/16/2020 at 4:57 PM, Jet Nut said:

You have absolutely no idea that he cheated.  Players were exempt and not one single person has said Beltran hot signs fed to him, wanted them and used them to his advantage. 

Not every player would take the signs.  Many have said they wouldn’t 

Just think how many times the $$$Bankees$$$ cheated!!!!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Crimson King said:

Just give Luis Rojas the job already and get on with 2020

33 days until first spring training games (split squad) 

66 days until opening day

Sounds like that is the way they are goin, as it should be. With Cohen presumably coming in next year as primary owner, he deserves the chance to not have extra contracts hanging around.

17 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Sounds like that is the way they are goin, as it should be. With Cohen presumably coming in next year as primary owner, he deserves the chance to not have extra contracts hanging around.

How much leverage, if any, does he have with all this? If he tells the Wilpons that I walk if so and so isn't the guy, do they blink? He is their lifeline here. You could say the same as far as MLB goes in getting them out of New York.

13 minutes ago, section314 said:

How much leverage, if any, does he have with all this? If he tells the Wilpons that I walk if so and so isn't the guy, do they blink? He is their lifeline here. You could say the same as far as MLB goes in getting them out of New York.

As it sits today, Cohen would probably not have much leverage, because you have to assume that the deal could still fall through. 

I say all that not knowing the exact positioning of the deal and where it stands. I assume that the other still need to approve this deal, but you would expect that to happen as Cohn had to be vetted as a minority owner.

But TODAY, Wilpons are majority owners, and they have the say until the deal is final. Now, there possibly may be back-office whisperings and advising, but until majority ownership changes, it is Wilpon's call. 

And, this is why I favor a short bridge manager, so as not to bind Cohen when he comes in. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

As it sits today, Cohen would probably not have much leverage, because you have to assume that the deal could still fall through. 

I say all that not knowing the exact positioning of the deal and where it stands. I assume that the other still need to approve this deal, but you would expect that to happen as Cohn had to be vetted as a minority owner.

But TODAY, Wilpons are majority owners, and they have the say until the deal is final. Now, there possibly may be back-office whisperings and advising, but until majority ownership changes, it is Wilpon's call. 

And, this is why I favor a short bridge manager, so as not to bind Cohen when he comes in. 

You make good points. If they do bring in a placeholder type, I hope it's Terry Collins.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

You have to wonder how much Steve Cohen is going to affect the Met managerial hire.  It has to play a factor for potential managers knowing that the Cohen deal is still likely to happen (as far as we all know) and, if it does, it's the great unknown at that point.  He could easily clean house regardless of how the season goes.  And that's true for not just the manager but for Brodie as well.  So it's possible the manager will be retained but be forced to work under a different GM (in addition to a different owner).  Those wildcards probably make the Met job the least appealing of the 3 jobs that opened up due to the cheating scandal.  Keep in mind that Beltran was hired before Cohen bought the team so that didn't factor in at the time.  This managerial hire is going to be more complicated.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

You have to wonder how much Steve Cohen is going to affect the Met managerial hire.  It has to play a factor for potential managers knowing that the Cohen deal is still likely to happen (as far as we all know) and, if it does, it's the great unknown at that point.  He could easily clean house regardless of how the season goes.  And that's true for not just the manager but for Brodie as well.  So it's possible the manager will be retained but be forced to work under a different GM (in addition to a different owner).  Those wildcards probably make the Met job the least appealing of the 3 jobs that opened up due to the cheating scandal.  Keep in mind that Beltran was hired before Cohen bought the team so that didn't factor in at the time.  This managerial hire is going to be more complicated.  

Theo Epstein is free after 2 more seasons.