John Harbaugh... 2019 Coach of the Year

jetsons

Hmmm... A Head Coach who "adjusts" to his personnel's strengths... who would have thunk it... 

https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2020/01/16/john-harbaugh-named-pro-football-writers-of-americas-coach-of-the-year/

John Harbaugh Named Pro Football Writers Of America’s Coach Of The Year

BALTIMORE (WJZ) — The Pro Football Writers of America has named Baltimore Ravens Head Coach John Harbaugh its 2019 NFL Coach of the Year.

Offensive coordinator Greg Roman was also named the 2019 NFL Assistant Coach of the Year.

That's our Coach.@PFWAwriters have named Coach Harbaugh the 2019 NFL Coach of the Year ️ pic.twitter.com/pC5cLBcsxI

— Baltimore Ravens (@Ravens) January 16, 2020

The announcement came one day after the group named Lamar Jackson its Most Valuable Player and Offensive Player of the Year.

Harbaugh and Roman led the Ravens to an impressive 14-2 regular season, including 12 consecutive wins.

.@PFWAwriters have also named OC Greg Roman the Assistant Coach of the Year️ pic.twitter.com/8WLuIlCkkJ

— Baltimore Ravens (@Ravens) January 16, 2020

While their season is over, the team can’t rest yet: the Ravens’ coaching staff will lead the AFC team, which includes a dozen Ravens, at the Pro Bowl in Orlando.

• Upvote 1

The Ravens had a worse season than the Jets ever had, I mean EVER! They can have the dopey coach award. Nothing is more brutal than winning 14 games, having the one seed, being huge favorites to go to the SB, and completely choking it away in the divisional round . That is pain and embarrassment I’ve never known as a Jet fan . Just plain brutal

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Thumb Down 2
  • WTF? 2
  • Sympathy 1

33 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

The Ravens had a worse season than the Jets ever had, I mean EVER! They can have the dopey coach award. Nothing is more brutal than winning 14 games, having the one seed, being huge favorites to go to the SB, and completely choking it away in the divisional round . That is pain and embarrassment I’ve never known as a Jet fan . Just plain brutal

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Not when your QB is in his second year and a total stud 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

3 hours ago, DetroitRed said:

Agreed, thank Darnold we've never been favorites to reach the SB or hosted playoff games. Can you imagine the horror?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, David Harris said:

Harbaugh runs away with it- amazing job. Never seen anybody maximize the good traits in his players skill sets. The Lamar Jackson offense perfectly tailored to LJ’s special qualities - great and ballsy coach to go all in like that

perfectly tailored?  they just got beat bad by the titans.  granted harbaugh utilized jackson's talents and schemed for them but what coach wouldn't?  so many of jackson's rushing yards come out of pass formations. at the end of the day it was the injury to ingram that lost the game because they couldn't run.

8 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Ridiculous that Gase was over looked after going 6-2 in the last 8 games.

Mock it all you want but Gase does deserve credit for the Jets going 6-2 to finish the season.  Also both Gase and Harbaugh won the same amount of playoff games this season.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Unfortunately it will be for worst coach of the year

When we win the division next year, you aren't allowed to enjoy it.  There is a list, you're on it, and if you dare try to say something nice about Coach Gase you will be tarred and feathered.

SAR I

38 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Mock it all you want but Gase does deserve credit for the Jets going 6-2 to finish the season.  Also both Gase and Harbaugh won the same amount of playoff games this season.

Excellent point.

And what did Harbaugh do to distinguish himself exactly?  Let a gifted quarterback run around all season?  Without Jackson, the Ravens are 8-8.  Put Jackson on this year's Jets, we're 11-5.  Jackson deserves MVP, but Harbaugh?  That was the easiest coaching job, ever.  10 games against scrubs and a generational QB having his one-time hot season. 

Look at the coaching job Gase did.  Actually had to work his ass off.  Not given an offensive gift like Jackson, the exact opposite in fact.  Illness, injury, down to his taxi quarterback, bad OL, no rushing game, his franchise QB recovering from mono, the media calling for his head, yet rallies that rag-tag bunch of weaklings to a rousing 6-2 finish.  That was special.  That is more deserving.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Hah!  The last time we were actual serious SB contenders was right before Vinny ruptured his ACL.

So, we weren't "serious" Super Bowl contenders when were were up 17-6 on Indy in the first half of the 2010 AFC title game?

What about when we were kicking the ball back to Pittsburgh after cutting the lead to 24-19 in the 2011 AFC title game?

• Upvote 1

Well deserved. 

Harbaugh is a terrific head coach. 

The only thing I hate about these awards is the timing. It just feels awkward announcing him as COY less than a week after his historically dominant 14-2 team (top 10 DVOA of all time) spit the bit at home against a wildcard team.