NFL rumors: 6 free agency options for Jets’ Joe Douglas to upgrade at cornerback | Homecoming for Rutgers’ Logan Ryan?

Apache 51

By Matt Stypulkoski | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com Joe Douglas has a lot on his plate this offseason.

While priority No. 1 has to be helping quarterback Sam Darnold find success, he can’t ignore the other side of the ball, either.

Trumaine Johnson and Darryl Roberts were a disaster at cornerback in 2019 and both will almost surely be gone next season. That leaves the Jets with two vacant spots on the perimeter – at least. Perhaps Douglas could plug in a young guy like Bless Austin or Arthur Maulet to fill one spot, but that’d be a risky move.

Plus, Douglas has to figure out what to do in the slot. He would be smart to re-sign Brian Poole, who was solid in that position, but Poole is a free agent and far from guaranteed to return.

That said, here are Douglas’ six best options for filling those cornerback spots vacated by Johnson and Roberts:

Byron Jones, Cowboys

Jones is clearly one of the top-flight options on the market this offseason. He’s not necessarily a shutdown guy, but he’s about as athletic as they come and he’s incredibly versatile, with the ability to play safety if needed. He’s not a ballhawk – he hasn’t intercepted a pass since 2017 – but he’s a solid cover corner with Pro Bowl credentials.

Chris Harris Jr., Broncos

Speaking of versatility, Harris is capable of playing either inside or outside, which could be valuable if Poole ends up walking away. He’s been a consistent contributor for years now, too. But the downside is that he’s 30 years old, so there’s a risk that he could start falling off soon. Plus, he’s undersized at 5-foot-10. So whenever he starts to lose that quickness, the drop-off could be stark.

Logan Ryan, Titans

Ryan is a playmaker, pure and simple. He’s tallied 8.5 sacks over the past two seasons and also registered four interceptions in 2019. He can do a little bit of everything to change the game. He’s about to turn 29, so he’s not young, but he’s not totally over the hill, either. Plus he’s a New Jersey native and Rutgers alum, which could help Douglas entice him.

James Bradberry, Panthers

There’s a chance that the Panthers elect to franchise tag Bradberry, which would obviously take him off the market. But if they don’t, he’s likely to be the top free-agent option. He’s 26 and he has the hand technique, quickness and athleticism necessary to excel in this league.

Trae Waynes, Vikings

Waynes was a first-round pick back in 2015 and has been a reliable starter for the past three seasons. He hasn’t really lived up to the hype of a typical No. 11 selection, but he can still be an effective, if flawed, player. He’s probably not a first-choice signing, but could be a good fallback option.  

Bradley Roby, Texans

Roby was moved primarily into the slot this season, but has experience on the outside, too. He’s another second-tier cornerback option, but that versatility could be enticing to Douglas if he can’t secure one of the top targets on the market.

There it is, maybe just delete the vertical print?

By Matt Stypulkoski | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Joe Douglas has a lot on his plate this offseason.

While priority No. 1 has to be helping quarterback Sam Darnold find success, he can’t ignore the other side of the ball, either.

Trumaine Johnson and Darryl Roberts were a disaster at cornerback in 2019 and both will almost surely be gone next season. That leaves the Jets with two vacant spots on the perimeter – at least. Perhaps Douglas could plug in a young guy like Bless Austin or Arthur Maulet to fill one spot, but that’d be a risky move.

Plus, Douglas has to figure out what to do in the slot. He would be smart to re-sign Brian Poole, who was solid in that position, but Poole is a free agent and far from guaranteed to return.

That said, here are Douglas’ six best options for filling those cornerback spots vacated by Johnson and Roberts:

Byron Jones, Cowboys

Jones is clearly one of the top-flight options on the market this offseason. He’s not necessarily a shutdown guy, but he’s about as athletic as they come and he’s incredibly versatile, with the ability to play safety if needed. He’s not a ballhawk – he hasn’t intercepted a pass since 2017 – but he’s a solid cover corner with Pro Bowl credentials.

Speaking of versatility, Harris is capable of playing either inside or outside, which could be valuable if Poole ends up walking away. He’s been a consistent contributor for years now, too. But the downside is that he’s 30 years old, so there’s a risk that he could start falling off soon. Plus, he’s undersized at 5-foot-10. So whenever he starts to lose that quickness, the drop-off could be stark.

Logan Ryan, Titans

Ryan is a playmaker, pure and simple. He’s tallied 8.5 sacks over the past two seasons and also registered four interceptions in 2019. He can do a little bit of everything to change the game. He’s about to turn 29, so he’s not young, but he’s not totally over the hill, either. Plus he’s a New Jersey native and Rutgers alum, which could help Douglas entice him.

There’s a chance that the Panthers elect to franchise tag Bradberry, which would obviously take him off the market. But if they don’t, he’s likely to be the top free-agent option. He’s 26 and he has the hand technique, quickness and athleticism necessary to excel in this league.

Trae Waynes, Vikings

Waynes was a first-round pick back in 2015 and has been a reliable starter for the past three seasons. He hasn’t really lived up to the hype of a typical No. 11 selection, but he can still be an effective, if flawed, player. He’s probably not a first-choice signing, but could be a good fallback option.

Bradley Roby, Texans

Roby was moved primarily into the slot this season, but has experience on the outside, too. He’s another second-tier cornerback option, but that versatility could be enticing to Douglas if he can’t secure one of the top targets on the market.

logan ryan is a good player and has been for a long time.  i wouldn't mind seeing him at corner.  imo the position is kind of hard to gage.  sure there are guys like revis and even ty law who are very good anywhere they play and then there are guys like trumaine who may have been decent with the rams but didn't travel too well.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Get Byron Jones. Bradbury is also really good but Jones is versatile and flirts with shut down ability. 

I wonder if DAL fans are complaining and weeping bitter tears over his not having any INTs the past two years while he was shutting down top WRs?

• Sympathy 1

I'm not looking at some of the top tier CB's b/c I think they will cost a ton of money and the Jets probably won't be able to sign them anyway. However, one guy I think they should target is Bashaud Breeland. KC has very little cap space and he will probably want to test the FA market. He's experienced and has good size and physicality. I think G.Williams will like him a lot lining up on the outside with Bless. Maulet should also be brought back. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Apache 51 said:

While priority No. 1 has to be helping quarterback Sam Darnold find success, he can’t ignore the other side of the ball, either.

Trumaine Johnson and Darryl Roberts were a disaster at cornerback in 2019 and both will almost surely be gone next season. That leaves the Jets with two vacant spots on the perimeter – at least. Perhaps Douglas could plug in a young guy like Bless Austin or Arthur Maulet to fill one spot, but that’d be a risky move.

Meh

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

Nah, pass rusher or spend the money of offense. 

Bingo!

You could have Revis and Sanders playing Corner. If the have to cover for 6 seconds they are done. Go pick up at least one of the 5 or 6 quality Edge rushers in Free Agency. Even Average Corners look good with a heavy rush.

11 hours ago, Apache 51 said:

• Thumb Down 1

He didn’t look good in 2018 or 2019, which is why he’s probably getting released, but there are some rumors Bouye is going to be available.

He’s not going to be $14MM/year again, that’s for sure. He had a hammy injury in June/July that lingered into the season, then finished it with a wrist injury. I think he supposedly played well in between, but I’d be lying if I said I watched any Jaguars game that didn’t come against the Jets (let alone focused on him all game...because I didn’t give a crap about them or him, of course).

Turns 29 in August, which isn’t old-old but he’s not exactly entering his prime either, and certainly won’t play out any new 4-5 year deals. As long as it isn’t an over-investment with >1 year guaranteed, I wouldn’t object to him or someone similar —just so the team doesn’t feel pigeonholed into drafting a corner early when it already has receiver and OL and edge rushing issues in big need of addressing. I’d want to know he’s 100% healed up from everything, though, and don’t know if a physical is going to happen with multiple possible/probable bidders. 

Truth is there aren’t going to be ideal CB options in free agency. They’re going to be mega-priced or have shorter careers left or they just plain suck, and that’s why they’re available in the first place (duh). Best hope is for someone who isn’t that crazy priced, with a deal low on guarantees, to return to prior form. They have to put some bodies out there. 

Bless played damn good for a guy that never had an NFL camp. Another offseason of workouts, a full camp in 2020, plus Maulet + Hairston, I say resign Poole & go after the guy that will be the cheapest out of that group for depth (Darby) & also draft 1 more guy. 

I see this draft going OL or WR in 1st, WR or OL in the 2nd, our 2 thirds will be a RB & CB, back to OL in 4th (Guard or Center). 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Five full drafts and we have no CBs of starting calibre, no pass rusher of note, no one that is a #1 Wr, No oline at all.  No weapon RB.

Mike McCagnan might be the worst GM in the NFL over the last 25 years.

Free agency and the draft can fix a lot of this mess. 

We need immediate impact players in the draft, players what will contribute to success right from the start. 

MM has no right working in the NFL again in any capacity. 

• Upvote 1

Five full drafts and we have no CBs of starting calibre, no pass rusher of note, no one that is a #1 Wr, No oline at all.  No weapon RB.
Mike McCagnan might be the worst GM in the NFL over the last 25 years.

Kinda crazy with the CB’s. Last year we had 3 young ones at the start of training camp. I loved Clark and thought Nickerson was gonna stick too.
It was surprising when they were all gone before the season. I thought at least one right??? Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, phill1c said:

Austin looks starting quality to me.

Maulette played well too.

So, I'd like to see ONE CB in free agency, maybe draft one on one of the later days in the draft.

I think the Jets CBs played well down the stretch. No need for panic with the unit.

Add an edge rusher and that secondary improves immediately. 

On 1/17/2020 at 8:43 AM, Apache 51 said:

By Matt Stypulkoski | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com Joe Douglas has a lot on his plate this offseason.

While priority No. 1 has to be helping quarterback Sam Darnold find success, he can’t ignore the other side of the ball, either.

Trumaine Johnson and Darryl Roberts were a disaster at cornerback in 2019 and both will almost surely be gone next season. That leaves the Jets with two vacant spots on the perimeter – at least. Perhaps Douglas could plug in a young guy like Bless Austin or Arthur Maulet to fill one spot, but that’d be a risky move.

Byron Jones, Cowboys

Logan Ryan, Titans

Trae Waynes, Vikings

Bradley Roby, Texans

Roby was moved primarily into the slot this season, but has experience on the outside, too. He’s another second-tier cornerback option, but that versatility could be enticing to Douglas if he can’t secure one of the top targets on the market.

Half of these guys are slot corners.

Re-sign Poole.  Find an outside guy.  But none of the other guys listed because they're all terrible.

I'm really looking for size with any cornerback drafted. We have a few great little players in the secondary. We need size at one CB spot.

And we need that hybrid guy, who primarily can cover a TE/RB/WR and who can rush the passer and be that weak-side LB edge rusher, a modern day Mo Lewis. I DON'T WANT is a one trick pony, who is like "I know we lost and had 120 yards rushing against us, but I had 3 sacks..." (barf). No.

I want a guy who is going to contribute in defending the pass--tall, rangy--as much as rushing the passer.