Favorite Jets Of All Time ???

THE BARON

On 1/17/2020 at 8:25 AM, THE BARON said:

Just curious to see how the different age groups will reply... After your list of ten or so favorite Jets, please list if you are in your 20's 30's 40's 50's 60's 70's etc...

My list of top ten fav.  Jets

1. Mark Gastineau

2. Freeman McNeil

3. Wesley Walker

4. Bruce Harper

5. Joe Klecko

6. Marty Lyons

7. Revis

8. Mangold

9. Kyle Clifton

10. Mickey Shuler. 

Honorable Mentions: Pat Lahey, Dan Alexander, Joe Fields

Where is Wayne chrebet. I'm not sure exactly why. It I loved that guy. I asleays thought he was awesome. I had his jersey

John Riggins - he didn't make anybody's list - I guess because he didn't play with us long enough. But we drafted him and had him at his peak. And if you are old enough, you would remember that there was nothing more thrilling than watching him take a swing pass and turn upfield... and me and my father would yell  "RIGGINS!"

On 1/17/2020 at 3:20 PM, Warfish said:

1. Nick Mangold

2. Wayne Chrebet

3. Al Toon

4. Curtis Martin

5. Ken O'Brien

6. Chad Pennington

7. Joe Klecko

8. Mo Lewis

9. Wesley Walker

10. Freeman McNeil

The Jets Super Bowl team was a few years before I was born. 

I respect their accomplishment, same as I respect Babe Ruth and Mickey Mantle, but they belong to a previous generation.  

I start in the early 80's and go from there.  40 years a fan, and missed the only real truly great season in Jets history, lol.

Pennington? That explains a lot about your point of view on QBs. Nice guy, extremely limited player that held this franchise back.

1 hour ago, nico002 said:

Pennington? That explains a lot about your point of view on QBs. Nice guy, extremely limited player that held this franchise back.

"Favorite" doesn't have to mean just on the field.  Kevin Mawae may be better than Mangold, but Mangold is my favorite because I liked Mangold and his attitude and the fun he brought to the team. 

Pennington was the penultimate professional QB, with the right attitude and right leadership.  The injuries to his arm and his diminished ability and increased turnover rate is, IMO, one of the sadder things in Jets history.  If he hadn't been a literal egg back there, I believe he'd have won far more.

And yes, I like efficient, effective, high-completion percentage, winning QB's even if they don't have a bazooka for an arm.  Like Cousins. 

Calling him limited means you didn't actually see him pre-injury.  Repeated injuries ruined a guy that, at the time, was being compared to Montana.  Sound familiar to today and the Darnold > Rodgers talk around here?

Also, you list Braylon f'ing Edwards as a favorite, I think you lose any right to question others with that lolworthty pick.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nico002 said:

2nd best QB ever drafted by the Jets.  What he did in 2006 taking that awful team to the playoffs was something special.  Pennington never had a great arm but that year coming back from surgery he could barely make the throws outside the hash marks down the field.  He still figured out a way to lead that team.  

I used to kill Pennington.  The reality is before his surgery he had enough arm to be great.  He was a warrior and a very good QB when he was healthy.  He deserves the respect Jets fans. 

On 1/17/2020 at 11:59 AM, peebag said:

Namath

<Insert future Super Bowl winning QB here>

too old.

How can Namath not be on top of anyone’s list. Oh guess they weren’t born. Ok. 

Namath 

Martin

Klecko

Sauer 

Toon

Crable

Revis

Mangold

Chrebet 

Walker

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Biggs said:

2nd best QB ever drafted by the Jets.  What he did in 2006 taking that awful team to the playoffs was something special.  Pennington never had a great arm but that year coming back from surgery he could barely make the throws outside the hash marks down the field.  He still figured out a way to lead that team.  

I used to kill Pennington.  The reality is before his surgery he had enough arm to be great.  He was a warrior and a very good QB when he was healthy.  He deserves the respect Jets fans. 

Hahaha no

On 1/24/2020 at 7:15 AM, nico002 said:

Ok this is random but I’m going to give Braylon Edwards an honorable mention. He wasn’t here long but he embraced and made some big plays. 

Braylon dragging two patriots DBs into the end zone at Foxboro = priceless

• Sympathy 1

On 1/24/2020 at 8:51 PM, TuscanyTile2 said:

Are you "done with the past" regarding the Yankees as well?

No.  Because the Yankees past still influences the present, the last Championship was 2009 and those players are still relevant. Andy Pettitte, for example, was instrumental in helping land Gerritt Cole in free agency. 

Namath and Maynard are on oxygen and are a reminder of Jets futility, different situation entirely, a turn off.  

SAR I

Favorite All Time - Chrebet, with Rex Ryan right behind him

Others:
Richie Anderson
Mo Lewis
Ray Mickens
Victor Green
John Abraham
Jerricho Cotchery
David Harris
Antonio Cromartie
Darrelle Revis