Who's the #1 target in 2020 free agency for the Jets?

Who will Joe Douglas have at the top of his list in 2020 free agency not currently on they Jets  

168 members have voted

1. 1. Who will Joe Douglas have at the top of his list in 2020 free agency not currently on they Jets

• Amari Cooper (WR) Cowboys
    • Chris Jonees (DE) Chiefs
    • Jadeveon Clowney (DE) Seahawks
    • Yannick Ngakoue (DE) Jaguars
    • Joe Thuney (OG) Patriots
    • Brandon Scherff (OG) Redskins
    • Anthony Castonzo (OT) Colts
    • Jack Conklin (OT) Titans
    • Other (put name of player in your reply)

Obviously we have some free agents of our own we want to keep, but with that said, who do you think Joe Douglas will target as his top guy when free agency starts in a little over 8 weeks from today.

Here is a list of the Top 25 Free Agents of 2020 according to Greg Rosenthal at NFL.com. I listed some of those players in this poll who could fill a need for our Jets.

I'll go first. Brandon Scherff, offensive guard, then draft Tristan Wirfs. Scherff & Wirfs…………..reminds me of Nick & Brick.

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Isn't it a possibility that we'll sign 2-4 Tier 2 or Tier 3 FA's rather than one big-ticket FA?

The Jets have the cap space to still go after one of the top offensive lineman in free agency without messing up their cap. That's especially true if Joe Douglas can get some team to take Le'Veon Bell's contract and/or trade Jamal Adams. Are you under the presumption the Jets will keep Bell and break the bank for Adams?

3 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

The Jets have the cap space to still go after one of the top offensive lineman in free agency without messing up their cap. That's especially true if Joe Douglas can get some team to take Le'Veon Bell's contract and/or trade Jamal Adams. Are you under the presumption the Jets will keep Bell and break the bank for Adams?

But that assumes there will be an OL on the market worth signing to top money.  I'm not entirely convinced that the likes of Conklin will be hitting free agency.  And I want no part of Scherff, who is barely above JAG level.  

Overpaying a replacement level OL might be necessary just to fill a gap, but its certainly not ideal.  

I don't know for sure what the Jets will do with Bell and Adams.  It's going to be almost impossible to get any respectable trade compensation for Bell.  He only really drew serious interest from us and the Colts last offseason.  Why would a team give up a high/mid-round pick for Bell 1 year later?  What changed regarding his stock that any team out there would give up a worthwhile pick + take on his contract?

I absolutely WANT to trade Adams.  And think we might, regardless of the comments made by Douglas about him; he's naturally going to keep that stuff close to the vest and just say the "right things" in the media.  

• Upvote 2

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

But that assumes there will be an OL on the market worth signing to top money.  I'm not entirely convinced that the likes of Conklin will be hitting free agency.  And I want no part of Scherff, who is barely above JAG level.  

Come on Jetsfan80. Are you really calling Scherff a JAG? He made his third Pro Bowl while playing with an injured shoulder. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

The reality is the Jets will sign a big ticket free agent. Joe Douglas can't do it all in the draft after Mac's neglected the offensive line for his entire tenure with the Jets.

Don't agree with that. We can sign a bunch of mid tier guys build depth and versatility and improve more than signing one of the big names. Johnson of course wants headlines and to "win" the offseason so you are probably right though. Hopefully it is OL and hopefully it is one of the 2 percenters

4 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Don't agree with that. We can sign a bunch of mid tier guys build depth and versatility and improve more than signing one of the big names. Johnson of course wants headlines and to "win" the offseason so you are probably right though. Hopefully it is OL and hopefully it is one of the 2 percenters

I'll just agree to disagree with you. I don't fee like going after an offensive lineman on that list is "winning the off-season." Last year Mac going after Le'Veon Bell would qualify for a "big name" signing. Douglas signing one of those offensive lineman on the above list is a smart move in my honest opinion. 

2 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

I'll just agree to disagree with you. I don't fee like going after an offensive lineman on that list is "winning the off-season." Last year Mac going after Le'Veon Bell would qualify for a "big name" signing. Douglas signing one of those offensive lineman on the above list is a smart move in my honest opinion. 

Fair enough. We have had some successful FA OL signings, it would probably be the bigger type FA signing I would have the least issue with. But all of those OL on the list have some issues and risk.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

I would also say that the Jets goal should be to become average at OL this year and keep building. Unrealistic to think we can go from literally maybe Bottom 10 worst in NFL history to good, unless we really kill our OL picks in the draft. OL is also why I would be willing to trade Adams. If we can get at least a 1st and 3rd good chance we can get another starting caliber OL, which is more valuable overall than Adams.

• Sympathy 1

1. Graham Glasgow:  young, tough, durable RG who can also play center. 

2.  Yannick Ngakoue:  edge rushers rarely hit FA but Jacksonville has some cap issues. 

3. Logan Ryan - should be priced a bit lower then Byron Jones but can likely come in on a 3 year deal. And be good, veteran starter. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

Come on Jetsfan80. Are you really calling Scherff a JAG? He made his third Pro Bowl while playing with an injured shoulder. 

Yes.  The Pro Bowl is a popularity contest.  Scherff sucked this year.  Meanwhile, the Redskins suck but are letting him walk after taking him in the top 5 in '15?  Makes no sense.  

If his injured shoulder is a thing, that doesn't exactly help his stock either.  Even if that's the reason he sucked this past season, we'd be banking on it not being an issue moving forward.

Just too many risks there for a guy who is going to command top Guard money.  We can do better.

• Upvote 1

I would like to see them sign BJ Finney the backup center from the Steelers as a second/third tier free agent.  He’s a good player who is blocked by Pouncey.  He’s 28 without a lot of mileage on him, could be a low cost upgrade at center.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Isn't it a possibility that we'll sign 2-4 Tier 2 or Tier 3 FA's rather than one big-ticket FA?

Any OL worth a damn is usually a big ticket FA

Other positions I agree with you as a plan.  OL, I'll open the bank for a top OL.  A Conklin if gettable will cost us.  

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Fair enough. We have had some successful FA OL signings, it would probably be the bigger type FA signing I would have the least issue with. But all of those OL on the list have some issues and risk.

You go after a highly rated OL, unless coming off injury or old, hes going to play like a top OL

2 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Any OL or ED or CB. If they’re even just above average they’ll get a bunch of attention 

Should have added those 3 positions to my post, I agree.  Was thinking Conklin, given I just voted for his signing.

i went with cooper although conklin would also be a good choice.  imo it's easier to get an impact wr in free agency than in the draft.  cooper would arrive with known skill sets.  drafting a guy like juedy would be good but it will take time for him to adjust to the pro game.  drafting a top wr would make sense if a guy like anderson was nearing the end of his contract if only for leverage purposes.  anderson is going to test the free agency waters so the only place to replace the experience is in free agency.

On 1/17/2020 at 5:02 PM, Joejet said:

I would like to see them sign BJ Finney the backup center from the Steelers as a second/third tier free agent.  He’s a good player who is blocked by Pouncey.  He’s 28 without a lot of mileage on him, could be a low cost upgrade at center.

I like this. I looked him up, the Steelers placed a 2nd round tender on him last year. That's gotta mean something

• Upvote 1