Jump to content
playtowinthegame

Who's the #1 target in 2020 free agency for the Jets?

Who will Joe Douglas have at the top of his list in 2020 free agency not currently on they Jets  

162 members have voted

  1. 1. Who will Joe Douglas have at the top of his list in 2020 free agency not currently on they Jets

    • Amari Cooper (WR) Cowboys
      7
    • Chris Jonees (DE) Chiefs
      1
    • Jadeveon Clowney (DE) Seahawks
      1
    • Yannick Ngakoue (DE) Jaguars
      11
    • Joe Thuney (OG) Patriots
      18
    • Brandon Scherff (OG) Redskins
      46
    • Anthony Castonzo (OT) Colts
      30
    • Jack Conklin (OT) Titans
      44
    • Other (put name of player in your reply)
      4


Recommended Posts

Obviously we have some free agents of our own we want to keep, but with that said, who do you think Joe Douglas will target as his top guy when free agency starts in a little over 8 weeks from today.

Here is a list of the Top 25 Free Agents of 2020 according to Greg Rosenthal at NFL.com. I listed some of those players in this poll who could fill a need for our Jets.

I'll go first. Brandon Scherff, offensive guard, then draft Tristan Wirfs. Scherff & Wirfs…………..reminds me of Nick & Brick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Targets and who will actually sign are two different things. I give a blank check to the best OL that will take our money.

 

  • Post of the Week 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Isn't it a possibility that we'll sign 2-4 Tier 2 or Tier 3 FA's rather than one big-ticket FA?

The Jets have the cap space to still go after one of the top offensive lineman in free agency without messing up their cap. That's especially true if Joe Douglas can get some team to take Le'Veon Bell's contract and/or trade Jamal Adams. Are you under the presumption the Jets will keep Bell and break the bank for Adams?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

The Jets have the cap space to still go after one of the top offensive lineman in free agency without messing up their cap. That's especially true if Joe Douglas can get some team to take Le'Veon Bell's contract and/or trade Jamal Adams. Are you under the presumption the Jets will keep Bell and break the bank for Adams?

But that assumes there will be an OL on the market worth signing to top money.  I'm not entirely convinced that the likes of Conklin will be hitting free agency.  And I want no part of Scherff, who is barely above JAG level.  

Overpaying a replacement level OL might be necessary just to fill a gap, but its certainly not ideal.  

I don't know for sure what the Jets will do with Bell and Adams.  It's going to be almost impossible to get any respectable trade compensation for Bell.  He only really drew serious interest from us and the Colts last offseason.  Why would a team give up a high/mid-round pick for Bell 1 year later?  What changed regarding his stock that any team out there would give up a worthwhile pick + take on his contract?

I absolutely WANT to trade Adams.  And think we might, regardless of the comments made by Douglas about him; he's naturally going to keep that stuff close to the vest and just say the "right things" in the media.  

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

But that assumes there will be an OL on the market worth signing to top money.  I'm not entirely convinced that the likes of Conklin will be hitting free agency.  And I want no part of Scherff, who is barely above JAG level.  

Come on Jetsfan80. Are you really calling Scherff a JAG? He made his third Pro Bowl while playing with an injured shoulder. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

The reality is the Jets will sign a big ticket free agent. Joe Douglas can't do it all in the draft after Mac's neglected the offensive line for his entire tenure with the Jets.

Don't agree with that. We can sign a bunch of mid tier guys build depth and versatility and improve more than signing one of the big names. Johnson of course wants headlines and to "win" the offseason so you are probably right though. Hopefully it is OL and hopefully it is one of the 2 percenters

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Don't agree with that. We can sign a bunch of mid tier guys build depth and versatility and improve more than signing one of the big names. Johnson of course wants headlines and to "win" the offseason so you are probably right though. Hopefully it is OL and hopefully it is one of the 2 percenters

I'll just agree to disagree with you. I don't fee like going after an offensive lineman on that list is "winning the off-season." Last year Mac going after Le'Veon Bell would qualify for a "big name" signing. Douglas signing one of those offensive lineman on the above list is a smart move in my honest opinion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

I'll just agree to disagree with you. I don't fee like going after an offensive lineman on that list is "winning the off-season." Last year Mac going after Le'Veon Bell would qualify for a "big name" signing. Douglas signing one of those offensive lineman on the above list is a smart move in my honest opinion. 

Fair enough. We have had some successful FA OL signings, it would probably be the bigger type FA signing I would have the least issue with. But all of those OL on the list have some issues and risk.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NONE. Big ticket free agents have like a 2% success rate.

Jets have had some success with big free agent lineman , Faneca and Damien woody were big parts of our only successful years this decade


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

I'll just agree to disagree with you. I don't fee like going after an offensive lineman on that list is "winning the off-season." Last year Mac going after Le'Veon Bell would qualify for a "big name" signing. Douglas signing one of those offensive lineman on the above list is a smart move in my honest opinion. 

I would also say that the Jets goal should be to become average at OL this year and keep building. Unrealistic to think we can go from literally maybe Bottom 10 worst in NFL history to good, unless we really kill our OL picks in the draft. OL is also why I would be willing to trade Adams. If we can get at least a 1st and 3rd good chance we can get another starting caliber OL, which is more valuable overall than Adams.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. Graham Glasgow:  young, tough, durable RG who can also play center. 

2.  Yannick Ngakoue:  edge rushers rarely hit FA but Jacksonville has some cap issues. 

3. Logan Ryan - should be priced a bit lower then Byron Jones but can likely come in on a 3 year deal. And be good, veteran starter. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

Come on Jetsfan80. Are you really calling Scherff a JAG? He made his third Pro Bowl while playing with an injured shoulder. 

Yes.  The Pro Bowl is a popularity contest.  Scherff sucked this year.  Meanwhile, the Redskins suck but are letting him walk after taking him in the top 5 in '15?  Makes no sense.  

If his injured shoulder is a thing, that doesn't exactly help his stock either.  Even if that's the reason he sucked this past season, we'd be banking on it not being an issue moving forward.

Just too many risks there for a guy who is going to command top Guard money.  We can do better.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes.  The Pro Bowl is a popularity contest.  Scherff sucked this year.  

He was very poor the two games I watched him closely, only two games but he took a penalties and did not look good at all.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

NONE. Big ticket free agents have like a 2% success rate.

Source?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like to see them sign BJ Finney the backup center from the Steelers as a second/third tier free agent.  He’s a good player who is blocked by Pouncey.  He’s 28 without a lot of mileage on him, could be a low cost upgrade at center.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably not a lot of big names. Probably more keeping the guys Douglas likes and overall roster improvements with an eye for draft flexibility 

douglas might make some trades though 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Isn't it a possibility that we'll sign 2-4 Tier 2 or Tier 3 FA's rather than one big-ticket FA?

Any OL worth a damn is usually a big ticket FA

Other positions I agree with you as a plan.  OL, I'll open the bank for a top OL.  A Conklin if gettable will cost us.  

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Any OL worth a damn is usually a big ticket FA

 

Any OL or ED or CB. If they’re even just above average they’ll get a bunch of attention 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Fair enough. We have had some successful FA OL signings, it would probably be the bigger type FA signing I would have the least issue with. But all of those OL on the list have some issues and risk.

You go after a highly rated OL, unless coming off injury or old, hes going to play like a top OL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Any OL or ED or CB. If they’re even just above average they’ll get a bunch of attention 

Should have added those 3 positions to my post, I agree.  Was thinking Conklin, given I just voted for his signing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, johnnysd said:

NONE. Big ticket free agents have like a 2% success rate.

Based on who's research?

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Conklin is the winner thus far, which means it won't be him. We fans are usually wrong about these things. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i went with cooper although conklin would also be a good choice.  imo it's easier to get an impact wr in free agency than in the draft.  cooper would arrive with known skill sets.  drafting a guy like juedy would be good but it will take time for him to adjust to the pro game.  drafting a top wr would make sense if a guy like anderson was nearing the end of his contract if only for leverage purposes.  anderson is going to test the free agency waters so the only place to replace the experience is in free agency.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/17/2020 at 5:02 PM, Joejet said:

I would like to see them sign BJ Finney the backup center from the Steelers as a second/third tier free agent.  He’s a good player who is blocked by Pouncey.  He’s 28 without a lot of mileage on him, could be a low cost upgrade at center.

I like this. I looked him up, the Steelers placed a 2nd round tender on him last year. That's gotta mean something

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would kick major ass if we could reel in both Conklin and Scherff. Draft Wirfs and the best C available and we are in good shape.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I voted Conklin as the #1 target, though the Jets won't likely get him. Locking down RT while drafting early for LT and C would be nice.  I really doubt the Titans don't resign him, though. He's a top 10, maybe top 5, RT. Gonna be expensive, but I'd sign him!

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...