Who's the #1 target in 2020 free agency for the Jets?

Who will Joe Douglas have at the top of his list in 2020 free agency not currently on they Jets  

168 members have voted

1. 1. Who will Joe Douglas have at the top of his list in 2020 free agency not currently on they Jets

• Amari Cooper (WR) Cowboys
    • Chris Jonees (DE) Chiefs
    • Jadeveon Clowney (DE) Seahawks
    • Yannick Ngakoue (DE) Jaguars
    • Joe Thuney (OG) Patriots
    • Brandon Scherff (OG) Redskins
    • Anthony Castonzo (OT) Colts
    • Jack Conklin (OT) Titans
    • Other (put name of player in your reply)

41 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Still better then what they currently have and if he struggles you move him inside.  He was a starting tackle on one of the run heaviest squads out there. It doesn't matter. You can't be picky... The Jets are in a mess and need talent to get out... and he is young. 

I’m not saying I’m not interested in him just was pointing out he had a rough game 

37 minutes ago, section314 said:

Not attacking you, but wasn't that the same garbage that the Giants fell for two years ago with Solder?

Castanzo and Solder are not the same guys.  Solder came into the league needing a lot more meat on his big frame.  Players that need to work that hard at bulking up are not "natural" for their position.  They usually fall off a cliff performance wise near the end of their career.  Castanzo has at least four more very good years left in him.  

35 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I like Costonzo, but I don't think we want a break the bank contract.  He is an older guy.  That doesn't make him a do not touch, but it should lower the price.  OTOH, Whitworth is still rolling along at 38, and people didn't want to touch him because he was old in 2017.  It will be interesting to see how these guys are valued. 

Due to the circumstances with the Jets offensive line and where Darnold is in his development and the lack of LT's that will be available for the Jets in the draft, you take the pain of paying a lot of money for a guy like Castanzo.  He has at least four good years left in him. 

Not only does the LT position depend on it, but so does the life and health of the QB, the offense and the 2020 season.

This MUST be taken care of... 

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

Yannick & an Olineman like Thuney.

Wait for the dust to settle & see what's left at Oline & grab a guy that might have been bypassed because of age. 

Draft the best LT at 11. WR at #2. Sign Allison or Agholor. 

I'd steer clear of Agholor, Eagles fans seem to hate him. Then again they also threw snowballs at Santa

• Sympathy 1

18 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Due to the circumstances with the Jets offensive line and where Darnold is in his development and the lack of LT's that will be available for the Jets in the draft, you take the pain of paying a lot of money for a guy like Castanzo.  He has at least four good years left in him. 

Not only does the LT position depend on it, but so does the life and health of the QB, the offense and the 2020 season.

This MUST be taken care of... 

The Colts have +$94m in cap space, there is no chance they let their LT walk. 

• Upvote 4

58 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

The Colts have +$94m in cap space, there is no chance they let their LT walk. 

Yup

Jack Conklin and Logan Ryan, however, are way more realistic free agent targets because the titans will be pressured to give big money to Henry and Tannehill 

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Yup

Jack Conklin and Logan Ryan, however, are way more realistic free agent targets because the titans will be pressured to give big money to Henry and Tannehill 

Giving a lot of money to Tannehill will by risky. It will be interesting to see what they do there. 

They basically have to pay Henry, no choice there from a PR perspective. 

16 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Offense: Conklin (backup plan Thuney)

Defense: Yannick (backup plan Judon)

I agree with this but we need to either sign Beachum or think that Edoga can be Beachum.  then you pray that a LT drops, or that Conklin can play LT.  

Honestly it’s a pretty weak and risky OL FA class.  Thuney is the best by far as he’s a good but not great (I’d say just outside of the top 10) young but highly consistent guard.  Of course this is his first payday and he’s going to be a bank killer.  Do we want to pay that sort of cash for a non elite guard?  There’s going to be a bidding war for him.

the others have much more risk and reward.  They’re all either old or injury risks, but potentially elite players at more important positions.  This is where our med staff has to earn their paychecks.

The flip side is that we absolutely need OL and it’s  hard to see how we don’t go after at least one big named vet.

On 1/20/2020 at 9:56 AM, kdels62 said:

I don’t see a fix for our secondary in the draft so I think locking down Byron Jones is important.

Byron Jones, Schreff, Conklin and Yannick. We got the cash. Get it done JD. Trade Adams for a #1 and #4. Draft Jeudy and Beckton or Blaise with the  first round picks. We’d have our 2nd Rounder, 2 three’s and 2 Fours to fill things out. 

1 hour ago, Hael said:

Honestly it’s a pretty weak and risky OL FA class.  Thuney is the best by far as he’s a good but not great (I’d say just outside of the top 10) young but highly consistent guard.  Of course this is his first payday and he’s going to be a bank killer.  Do we want to pay that sort of cash for a non elite guard?  There’s going to be a bidding war for him.

the others have much more risk and reward.  They’re all either old or injury risks, but potentially elite players at more important positions.  This is where our med staff has to earn their paychecks.

The flip side is that we absolutely need OL and it’s  hard to see how we don’t go after at least one big named vet.

One? We need to replace the ENTIRE line. All those guys are depth pieces that played on the OL this year. I’d keep Lewis and  Harrison and be done with Winters, Shell and Beachum. We have to draft 2 OL and sign at least 3 OL. We just can’t put this group back on the field again.

12 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

If I were the Colts I'd franchise Castonzo so no one can talk to him

I think a new CBA should get rid of the franchise tag.  More trouble than it is worth.  If I was Castonzo and the Jets offered me $$$$$ but the Colts franchised me, I'd sit down for a year...

7 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

Ridiculous. There's NO way the Jets rebuild their OL without using FA. NO WAY.

Agree fully.  The can get one or two starters from the draft this year *IF* they hit on their picks, but that line could use 5 new starters.  4 at the very least.  It is the worst line in the league and the worst in Jets history.  

9 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

One? We need to replace the ENTIRE line. All those guys are depth pieces that played on the OL this year. I’d keep Lewis and  Harrison and be done with Winters, Shell and Beachum. We have to draft 2 OL and sign at least 3 OL. We just can’t put this group back on the field again.

Winters and Shell have to go.  Beachum is top tier back-up or bottom third starter.  He is not bad.  Between the three of Beachum, Lewis and Harrison, one if not two will still be starters unless they have the best off-season in team history.

IMHO... The Jets management should be fully engulfed in plans to revamp that line. 

All other priorities rescinded. All crew members expendable... 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

Ridiculous. There's NO way the Jets rebuild their OL without using FA. NO WAY.

Seriously 

Who the hell thinks the Jets should bypass all of the OL in FA and rely solely on the draft to upgrade the unit?

That’s batsh*t crazy

With a few clear and obvious cuts, the Jets can easily get to around $90 million in cap space.

With guys like Scherff, Thuney, Conklin and Glasgow all set to hit the market, Joe Douglas should be in f*cking prison if he can’t land two of them.

Just now, Beerfish said:

You almot never rebuild an oline via fa, almost never.

How many of the dallas oline were fas?  Balt? SF?

The last time the Jets had a top notch line, it was Brick, Faneca, Mangold, Moore & Woody

Damian Woody was FA, Faneca was FA, and Brandon Moore came from The Scottish Claymores.

When you need *five* new starters for your line, FA is a must.  They have to be looking everywhere now.  They sould have scouts at Div II, Div III and semi-pro leagues looking for guys on the O-line that they can bring in as undrafted FA's

This is a seriously desperate situation.  FIVE positions on the line have to be filled.  

Just now, THE BARON said:

The last time the Jets had a top notch line, it was Brick, Faneca, Mangold, Moore & Woody

Damian Woody was FA, Faneca was FA, and Brandon Moore came from The Scottish Claymores.

When you need *five* new starters for your line, FA is a must.  They have to be looking everywhere now.  They sould have scouts at Div II, Div III and semi-pro leagues looking for guys on the O-line that they can bring in as undrafted FA's

This is a seriously desperate situation.  FIVE positions on the line have to be filled.  

Different era, oline and guard in particular were not valued near as much. 

The Jets, mccagnan style have been trying to build the oline via fa for 5 years.

Add an olineman via fa?  By a means but they are almost always a risk at times a big risk.  Fa should not be a core part of your rebuild plan.

11 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

No way we should throw big money at Castonzo when he can't even make up his mind yet if he wants to play next year.

I wasn't aware of this - He'd make a good veteran presence on a line we are sure to completely rebuild (as far as starters, MAYBE resign Beachum and start him at RT if we can get a good LT), Castonzo also gunna be 32 when season starts... so this news is kinda disturbing. 

23 minutes ago, BklynJetsFan85 said:

I wasn't aware of this - He'd make a good veteran presence on a line we are sure to completely rebuild (as far as starters, MAYBE resign Beachum and start him at RT if we can get a good LT), Castonzo also gunna be 32 when season starts... so this news is kinda disturbing. 

He wants to play.  This is advice from his agent to get more $$$ from the Colts... 

• Upvote 1

On 1/21/2020 at 12:53 PM, varjet said:

I agree with this but we need to either sign Beachum or think that Edoga can be Beachum.  then you pray that a LT drops, or that Conklin can play LT.  

Why can't he play LT? He was a LT prospect in the first place, was he not? He's certainly built like one more than some 340-pound roadgrader RT. It's possible Ten took him way high because the team gave up 50+ sacks the year before, with the thought that he'd be the starting LT before long. Conklin just plays on the same line as Lewan, who's better and who also took a big leap forward after Conklin was drafted (as did Ferguson in year 3 and beyond for us). Doesn't mean Conlin is therefore just a RT forevermore. Once upon a time Damien Woody was a center, Fabini was a RT, and @T0mShane was a man. 

If Ten wouldn't move him to Mariota's blind side and they kept some schlub out there instead, then yeah you worry the team realizes he maybe just doesn't have the feet/talent for the position (admittedly I haven't been watching Conklin's feet every week of every season, lol).

I have to think if we do pick him up it's to play LT, particularly if we pay through the nose to get him here. We'd let Beachum go and, since Conklin's got a longer career ahead of Beachum, now Douglas gets to be a little choosier in the draft than being dead-set on LT at #11 pick no matter what. Yeah he had an ACL injury in the past, but of course so did Beachum before he got here, and he looked like crap for Jax after returning to the field.  He also missed games with a concussion the year after, and was questionable for the Chiefs game with a shoulder injury. Plus some of his spotty plays in the playoffs - which could have been in some part due to that injury - didn't do him any favors. But if there were any sure bet guarantees most of these guys would never reach free agency, and if he'd perfect ball this year through the playoffs then his pricetag's probably even higher. 

At just 25, with multiple good seasons under his belt, I have to think Rosenhaus will get Conklin a deal at least in the $17MM/year range (assuming he reaches free agency). We wouldn't be the only ones potentially eyeing him as more than just a RT. Even as such: Lane Johnson, who's a full contract older, just got an $18MM/yr extension for ages 30-33 without even testing the highest bidders in FA since he was already locked up in Philly through 2021. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1