New York Mick

Outside Of Adams Do The Jets Have A Top Five Players At Any Position?

At there respective position is there anyone that’s in the top five on the Jets. 
Mosley if he’s healthy is in there but I can’t think of anyone else. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, New York Mick said:

Mosley if he’s healthy is in there but I can’t think of anyone else. 

A healthy CJ Mosley?

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, section314 said:

Forget top 5, we would struggle to put more than those two guys in a top 10 list.

You’re probably right 

5 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Thomas Hennessy tied for the NFL lead in tackles among long snappers with four.  So there's that...

Woo hoo. Championship 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Thomas Hennessy tied for the NFL lead in tackles among long snappers with four.  So there's that...

You're right.! I did notice him making quite a few this past year. Good catch.😁

4 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

If slot CB is considered its own position, yes probably. Poole is very good.  If not, the next closest that played this year is probably Maye.

Would you take Poole before 5 other CBs at the position? I wouldn’t. 

imo, the jets have 5 players in the top 5 at their positions(or at least arguably so).  besides adams, there's mosely, maye, bell and darnold.  the thing is good teams will elevate the jags so they seem better than they are.  i think there needs to be a tipping point where they can start with a core of high talent players and they will have a positive impact on the players around them.  the jets probably need at least 5 more top players before they will really be successful.

• Haha 1

Just now, rangerous said:

imo, the jets have 5 players in the top 5 at their positions(or at least arguably so).  besides adams, there's mosely, maye, bell and darnold.  the thing is good teams will elevate the jags so they seem better than they are.  i think there needs to be a tipping point where they can start with a core of high talent players and they will have a positive impact on the players around them.  the jets probably need at least 5 more top players before they will really be successful.

Bell? No, he was awful last year. Yes the oline is sh*t but Bell look bad. 
Darnold? No, he isn’t top ten yet much less top five. 
Maye ? No, he’s not top 5. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

You wouldn’t consider him a top slot corner? Not overall CB, just slot. He did really well. 

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

You wouldn’t consider him a top slot corner? Not overall CB, just slot. He did really well. 

Slot CB yes but not CB. You could easily but more the five other CBs at his position that are better then him. 

3 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Do the pats?

do the bills?

do the dolphins?

My mother used to say, '' Be concerned with yourself.''

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Do the pats?

do the bills?

do the dolphins?

Who gives a ****? This is a Jets message board and in order for the Jets to make it to the SB they need to beat teams outside of the AFCE. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, rangerous said:

Bell and Darnold are literally closer to bottom five. That very well may do to the line but it doesn't change the fact. 

The top 5 Safeties in the NFL (in no particular order) are Earl Thomas, Minkah Fitzpatrick, Kevin Byard, Derwin James and Eddie Jackson.

If you want to say Jamal is a top 5 SS/Box Safety, sure, I'll give you that.  

• Thumb Down 1

40 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Who are the 5 you would take?  Actual slot CBs that play the slot exclusively.

49ers fans could have started a thread like this a year ago. Hopefully the Jets get lucky this off-season. Sign the right free agents and draft the right guys, as well as self improvement from within. 

26 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Poole is definitely top 5 slot corners. Slot and outside are two different positions essentially. Richard Sherman is a great outside corner but would get eaten up in the slot.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Who are the 5 you would take?  Actual slot CBs that play the slot exclusively.

That was point. Slot CBs aren’t the  top CBs on the team. They put the 3rd best CB there. 

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The top 5 Safeties in the NFL (in no particular order) are Earl Thomas, Minkah Fitzpatrick, Kevin Byard, Derwin James and Eddie Jackson.

If you want to say Jamal is a top 5 SS/Box Safety, sure, I'll give you that.  

FS and SS are two different positions just like ILB and OLB. 

39 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Bell? No, he was awful last year. Yes the oline is sh*t but Bell look bad. 
Darnold? No, he isn’t top ten yet much less top five. 
Maye ? No, he’s not top 5. 

Darnold isn't top 20.. Bell and Darnold top 5, wow

1 minute ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Who are the 5 you would take?  

Chris Harris (DEN), Desmond King (LAC), Byron Jones (DAL).  And when healthy, Bryce Callahan.  

Poole "slots in" at # 4 or 5 on the list.  

11 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

That was point. Slot CBs aren’t the  top CBs on the team. They put the 3rd best CB there. 

No, not really.  Slot corner is becoming a premium position based on the way the game is being played, and you need a specific skillset. 

It's not as simple as saying the Slot is a CB3 and therefore only the 3rd best CB.  That's a very antiquated way of thinking at this point.  There are at least a handful of "elite slot corners" that are far better at their jobs than just about any CB2 in the NFL.  

Will Slot CB ever be more valuable than any CB1?  No, never.  But it's far more valuable than you give it credit for.  And the money being spent by GM's on the position in recent years reflects that.:  Chris Harris made $11.9M this year while spending the majority of his snaps in the slot.  The Broncos "doubled down" on the position last offseason too, signing Bryce Callahan to a 3-yr, $21M deal with $10M guaranteed.  The Lions signed away Justin Coleman from the Seahawks (2nd round tender) and are paying him $36M over 4 years.  The Colts signed Kenny Moore to an extension worth $33M over 4 years, with $9M guaranteed at signing.

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No, not really.  Slot corner is becoming a premium position based on the way the game is being played, and you need a specific skillset. 

It's not as simple as saying the Slot is a CB3 and therefore only the 3rd best CB.  That's a very antiquated way of thinking at this point.  There are at least a handful of "elite slot corners" that are far better at their jobs than just about any CB2 in the NFL.  

Will Slot CB ever be more valuable than any CB1?  No, never.  But it's far more valuable than you give it credit for.  And the money being spent by GM's on the position in recent years reflects that.

Ok then even if you say the slot CB is the 2nd best on the team is Poole the 6th best CB in the NFL? I’d say no. 

2 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Ok then even if you say the slot CB is the 2nd best on the team is Poole the 6th best CB in the NFL? I’d say no. 

Based on what I posted earlier, I think Poole is the 4th or 5th best slot CB in the NFL right now.  Only Chris Harris, Desmond King and Byron Jones are better.  Bryce Callahan might be also but missed all of 2019 with an injury. 

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Based on what I posted earlier, I think Poole is the 4th or 5th best slot CB in the NFL right now.  Only Chris Harris, Desmond King and Byron Jones are better.  Bryce Callahan might be also but missed all of 2019 with an injury. 

If you could pick any DB in the NFL to play slot CB would Poole be a top 5?