New York Mick

Outside Of Adams Do The Jets Have A Top Five Players At Any Position?

At there respective position is there anyone that’s in the top five on the Jets. 
Mosley if he’s healthy is in there but I can’t think of anyone else. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, section314 said:

Forget top 5, we would struggle to put more than those two guys in a top 10 list.

You’re probably right 

5 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Thomas Hennessy tied for the NFL lead in tackles among long snappers with four.  So there's that...

Woo hoo. Championship 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

If slot CB is considered its own position, yes probably. Poole is very good.  If not, the next closest that played this year is probably Maye.

Would you take Poole before 5 other CBs at the position? I wouldn’t. 

Just now, rangerous said:

imo, the jets have 5 players in the top 5 at their positions(or at least arguably so).  besides adams, there's mosely, maye, bell and darnold.  the thing is good teams will elevate the jags so they seem better than they are.  i think there needs to be a tipping point where they can start with a core of high talent players and they will have a positive impact on the players around them.  the jets probably need at least 5 more top players before they will really be successful.

Bell? No, he was awful last year. Yes the oline is sh*t but Bell look bad. 
Darnold? No, he isn’t top ten yet much less top five. 
Maye ? No, he’s not top 5. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

You wouldn’t consider him a top slot corner? Not overall CB, just slot. He did really well. 

Slot CB yes but not CB. You could easily but more the five other CBs at his position that are better then him. 

6 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Do the pats?

do the bills?

do the dolphins?

Who gives a ****? This is a Jets message board and in order for the Jets to make it to the SB they need to beat teams outside of the AFCE. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Who are the 5 you would take?  Actual slot CBs that play the slot exclusively.

That was point. Slot CBs aren’t the  top CBs on the team. They put the 3rd best CB there. 

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The top 5 Safeties in the NFL (in no particular order) are Earl Thomas, Minkah Fitzpatrick, Kevin Byard, Derwin James and Eddie Jackson.

If you want to say Jamal is a top 5 SS/Box Safety, sure, I'll give you that.  

FS and SS are two different positions just like ILB and OLB. 

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No, not really.  Slot corner is becoming a premium position based on the way the game is being played, and you need a specific skillset. 

It's not as simple as saying the Slot is a CB3 and therefore only the 3rd best CB.  That's a very antiquated way of thinking at this point.  There are at least a handful of "elite slot corners" that are far better at their jobs than just about any CB2 in the NFL.  

Will Slot CB ever be more valuable than any CB1?  No, never.  But it's far more valuable than you give it credit for.  And the money being spent by GM's on the position in recent years reflects that.

Ok then even if you say the slot CB is the 2nd best on the team is Poole the 6th best CB in the NFL? I’d say no. 

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Based on what I posted earlier, I think Poole is the 4th or 5th best slot CB in the NFL right now.  Only Chris Harris, Desmond King and Byron Jones are better.  Bryce Callahan might be also but missed all of 2019 with an injury. 

If you could pick any DB in the NFL to play slot CB would Poole be a top 5?

2 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

What you can't grasp is there is a difference between being a HC and a DC. Gregg Williams, as great as he is a DC, bombed as a HC in Buffalo and if he were our HC the defense wouldn't be as good as it is now.

You judge a HC on record.  If the Jets go 12-4 but are 31st in offense next year who give a sh*t??? He went 6-2 in the 2nd half with healthy Darnold. I could give to sh*ts where the offense is ranked!

Only people like you would complain.

Gase sucks

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

I keep womdering why no one is on a soap box for the 15 million dollar thin man.

Surely he must be top five to command that kind of cash for a WR.

emoji23.png

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I was saying the same thing until I seen WRs contracts. Anderson is going to get around 12/13 a year. Maybe more if a team thinks he puts them over the edge. 

18 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Average per year .. 

Julian Edleman ... 7.5

Danny Amendola ... 4.5

Ted Ginn... 3.6

Robert Woods ... 6.8

Marvin Jones ... 8

Amari Cooper ... 5.6

RA should come in around 7mill per if the world is fair.

He is not better than anyone making over 10 Mill per year.

https://overthecap.com/position/wide-receiver/

As pointed out by other posters. Those are old contracts. The number is going to be much higher. 

2 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

I don't know? Perhaps Marcus Maye? I know he's not even a pro bowler, but he's definitely solid. Probably top 5?

However, if your point is to make everyone aware how untalented this team is? You're preaching to the choir. Mike Macagnan left the cupboards absolutely bare. That's a fact. That's why my only hope for JD is for him to actually start picking TALENT. I don't even care if he uses picks 100% on BAP, just so long as Douglas starts bringing talent through the door and I'll be happy. The fact is, we haven't had a GM do that since the very earliest days of Mike Tannenbaum/late drafts of Terry Bradway.

The point was what do they need to do to make a winning team.  
The answer is a lot. 

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

It shouldn't be .. guy is a jag

Even the jags are getting paid 

5 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Let's compare his career tonthose twelve ... And a bunch of guys in the 7 mill range or less

You need to look at the year the contract was signed. 

45 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

You are so full of you know what. Stop associating every Jets offensive problem on Gase. That's not even half true. Adam Gase took over a team that was already horrendous on offense. Gase was also forced to coach players brought in by one of the worst GM's in team history. They had probably the very worst OL in franchise history. He was a GM that neglected the OL for his entire Jets career.

You always think that you're some sort of master debator or something? You're not. You're someone who consistently answers a posters opinion with your own OPINION and nothing more. 

The FACT is, and this is probably the ONLY fact, is that the Jets offense has been TERRIBLE regardless of who has been coaching it for years. It's not just Adam Gase. It's EVERYONE from REX Ryan to Todd Bowles to Adam Gase to Brian Schottenheimer to Tony Sparano to Marty Mornhinweg to Chan Gailey and a sh*t ton of others. I don't know, I lose count of all the people that produce the very SAME result.

What I will say and this is my OPINION:

1) I don't believe a single HC or OC the Jets have had has gotten a chance to run their offense with anything more than one or two players of their preference/liking? ALL of them have worked under less than ideal circumstances.

2) Gase deserves an opportunity to operate a Jets offense at least partially in his preference. I want to see what he can do with a revamped OL. He went 7-9 last season with a terrible roster. That's the best record the Jets have had in 5 seasons. 🚽went 10-6 in 2015 after the GM spent 50 million in FA. Based on that season alone the Jets gave 🚽an additional 3 seasons to coach the team. So I think Gase has earned at least one more season to see this thing through.

Gase sucks

• Haha 1

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company