Franchise Tag

38 minutes ago, Jetpain said:

Does anyone know what the cost is to put the Transition tag on Robbie Anderson and what the compensation is if another team signs ?

Nevermind, just looked it up and it is a little over 15mil.   I thought it would.be cheaper.   Plus, transition tag only gives Jets right to match (they don't get anything if Robbie leaves, not even qualifying for compensatory pick if tagged).

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, Dinamite said:

Nevermind, just looked it up and it is a little over 15mil.   I thought it would.be cheaper.   Plus, transition tag only gives Jets right to match (they don't get anything if Robbie leaves, not even qualifying for compensatory pick if tagged).

Has something changed that prevents us getting a pick? This article suggests you would get a pick

https://www.google.com/amp/s/overthecap.com/comment-compensatory-picks-transition-tag/amp/

52 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Has something changed that prevents us getting a pick? This article suggests you would get a pick

https://www.google.com/amp/s/overthecap.com/comment-compensatory-picks-transition-tag/amp/

I am not sure, actually.  I thought that a tagged player did not count, but perhaps they do.  Either way, not sure if Jets would qualify for compensatory picks because they may spend as much as they lose.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

38 minutes ago, Dinamite said:

I am not sure, actually.  I thought that a tagged player did not count, but perhaps they do.  Either way, not sure if Jets would qualify for compensatory picks because they may spend as much as they lose.

Yea it will be interesting for sure. I'd like to believe we focus on players who are cut, maybe like a Sammy Watkins or an Xavier Rhodes that way it won't count against us. Then use a chunk of the money we have to sign Adams, Jenkins, Poole, Lewis, and whoever else they seem worthy.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

9 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

No. He’s not talking about a pick the original team gets from the new team for signing its Transition Tagged player; there is no such pick. Rather, he’s referring to the compensatory pick the original team gets from the league (for losing any non-Transition Tagged FA).

It isn’t that a team gets a pick for losing a Transition Tagged player; quite the opposite. If the original team loses a Transition Tagged FA (if they choose not to match a new team’s offer) then he no longer counts as a FA loss towards the compensatory pick formula (a "CFA," or compensatory free agent).

In that example, Miami rescinded the Transition Tag so it would still get a compensatory pick for losing Vernon (or more correctly, so he’d again qualify as a CFA loss if there was no offset by another CFA Miami signed). They’d just signed formerly-Super Mario so they weren’t going to match any offer for Vernon anyway (they could neither afford nor did they need both). By rescinding the tag it went back to how it’d have been if they’d never Transition Tagged him in the first place. calculations.

@jason423 was merely unsure, at the time, if things reset to the way they previously were if a team Transition Tagged a player then rescinded it. The answer is yes, but it hadn’t yet come up in practice (under the current CBA), because the Transition Tag is just so rarely applied in the first place. I mean the last player I remember Transition Tagged by the Jets was Kyle Brady over 20 years ago. Anyway, Mario Williams wasn’t a CFA signing, since he was cut by Buffalo rather than his Buffalo contract naturally expiring, so his signing with Miami didn’t cancel out Miami’s loss of Vernon, when it came time to tally up teams’ cumulative CFA losses and gains for the following season’s compensatory picks.

The rationale for this rule (Transition Tagged player losses getting no compensatory picks), I expect, is losing a Transition Tagged player is just not considered the same type of FA loss. First, the original team gets the player for another year if no one else makes an offer; not so without the tag applied, of course. Second, and more importantly, if they choose to match a contract offer then they get the player and it’s over; not so without the tag applied, whereby the new team could then up it’s offer to a higher one if the original team agreed to match the first offer. Those "advantages" for the original team cancel out the perceived loss, so there is no pick compensation from the league.

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

No. He’s not talking about a pick the original team gets from the new team for signing its Transition Tagged player; there is no such pick. Rather, he’s referring to the compensatory pick the original team gets from the league (for losing any non-Transition Tagged FA).

It isn’t that a team gets a pick for losing a Transition Tagged player; quite the opposite. If the original team loses a Transition Tagged FA (if they choose not to match a new team’s offer) then he no longer counts as a FA loss towards the compensatory pick formula (a "CFA," or compensatory free agent).

In that example, Miami rescinded the Transition Tag so it would still get a compensatory pick for losing Vernon (or more correctly, so he’d again qualify as a CFA loss if there was no offset by another CFA Miami signed). They’d just signed formerly-Super Mario so they weren’t going to match any offer for Vernon anyway (they could neither afford nor did they need both). By rescinding the tag it went back to how it’d have been if they’d never Transition Tagged him in the first place. calculations.

@jason423 was merely unsure, at the time, if things reset to the way they previously were if a team Transition Tagged a player then rescinded it. The answer is yes, but it hadn’t yet come up in practice (under the current CBA), because the Transition Tag is just so rarely applied in the first place. I mean the last player I remember Transition Tagged by the Jets was Kyle Brady over 20 years ago. Anyway, Mario Williams wasn’t a CFA signing, since he was cut by Buffalo rather than his Buffalo contract naturally expiring, so his signing with Miami didn’t cancel out Miami’s loss of Vernon, when it came time to tally up teams’ cumulative CFA losses and gains for the following season’s compensatory picks.

The rationale for this rule (Transition Tagged player losses getting no compensatory picks), I expect, is losing a Transition Tagged player is just not considered the same type of FA loss. First, the original team gets the player for another year if no one else makes an offer; not so without the tag applied, of course. Second, and more importantly, if they choose to match a contract offer then they get the player and it’s over; not so without the tag applied, whereby the new team could then up it’s offer to a higher one if the original team agreed to match the first offer. Those "advantages" for the original team cancel out the perceived loss, so there is no pick compensation from the league.

Yea I was referring to the comp pick, I tried doing some digging on what qualifies for compensation and I came across that article. It makes sense that you don't get a comp pick but I couldn't find a definitive answer

2 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Injuries according to SAR1. This roster is a loaded Play off Roster..

SAR1 was right. Going 7-9 with this group was a great job. 1-7 & kept the team together. 6-2 to end the season once we got an Oline settled. 

That Miami loss in Miami was 100% the Oline. Sam had the dirtiest uniform on the field after that game. Jets took care of business vs the Fins at home with a more settled if still Bad Oline & that same Miami team knocked the Patriots out home field for the playoffs in Gillette to end the season. 

Great job by the coaching staff.