The Anderson (and Shell) Conundrum

varjet

We actively debate as to whether Robby Anderson would be worth a large multi-year contract with the Jets.

Without Anderson, the Jets’ WRs would be Crowder and V. Smith.   The Jets obviously need a WR, even if they draft one or two.

It would make me a little jittery to pay Anderson a large contract.

So this is where I get lost-if the Jets have one of the worst, if not the worst, WR corps without Anderson, and they have not renewed him yet and many in the know don’t think he is worth the risk of a large contract, why would another team pay him a large contract?  Do they take greater risks?  Are their WRs even worse?   Maybe Anderson is not worth as much money as people think, and the Jets could sign him for a more fair/lesser amount of money.

I think the same thing could be said about Shell, even as a backup.  If a team with an OL as bad as the Jets don’t think that Shell is worth a lot of money, why would another team?

And the Jets have been watching Robby and Shell for four years.  I just don’t understand.  

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’ll be interested to see what Anderson could get on the open market. He’s been available at the trade deadline for the past two years and the best offer we’ve heard about both years was a fourth rounder, which seems odd considering the stats. Either he’s an outright jerkoff off the field, or he’s just so unreliable on the field (in terms of running routes) that teams don’t want him as anything more than a #3. Remember, he’s a 6’3” dude with sticky hands who runs a legitimate 4.3/40, and he still went undrafted. There’s something not right with the guy

I think it's pretty clear he's dumb and lacks polish... And teams know the Jets aren't that high on him so they don't want to give up assets to get him. Because I agree, with his size/speed/ball tracking he still feels like a huge asset to me on a team with a good passing offense... The type of guy who just opens up the field because you have to respect him.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, varjet said:

We actively debate as to whether Robby Anderson would be worth a large multi-year contract with the Jets.

Without Anderson, the Jets’ WRs would be Crowder and V. Smith.   The Jets obviously need a WR, even if they draft one or two.

So this is where I get lost-if the Jets have one of the worst, if not the worst, WR corps without Anderson, and they have not renewed him yet and many in the know don’t think he is worth the risk of a large contract, why would another team pay him a large contract?  Do they take greater risks?  Are their WRs even worse?   Maybe Anderson is not worth as much money as people think, and the Jets could sign him for a more fair/lesser amount of money.

I think the same thing could be said about Shell, even as a backup.  If a team with an OL as bad as the Jets don’t think that Shell is worth a lot of money, why would another team?

And the Jets have been watching Robby and Shell for four years.  I just don’t understand.  

I'm inclined to bring both back for reasonable contracts.

• For Anderson, he has speed. You can't teach that and it's the most important weapon a WR has. He plays an important role. taking the top off. So, yeah, you may have to pay a premium, but, to me, it's worth it for the continuity, the confidence it brings to other players the Jets want to retain in the future. And I think Anderson's best days are ahead of him, so let's let the Jets and Darnold take advantage. Yeah, he's a minor flake. But aren't most WRs? I'm not looking for a choir boy. I'm looking for a WR who can run and catch and contribute. He's not a No. 1. But he has a role and he has shown improvement enough to warrant an investment.
  • Kinda the same with Shell. But, I don't think he's as desirable to other teams so I think the Jets can afford him. The question is his development. I think he's done enough, barely. And I'm a big fan of continuity when there is an upside. But I also see an opportunity for the Jets to upgrade the OL. So, if they end up upgrading significantly and losing Shell in the process, I wouldn't cry any tears.
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, varjet said:

What's the goal?  To win the Super Bowl.  Personally, I don't think you can win the big game with either one as starters on the team.  As backups, or with Robbie as the #3 receiver, I got no problem.  Paying Robbie 12 million a year is just overpaying a guy who is not a #1 or a #2.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Alka said:

What's the goal?  To win the Super Bowl.  Personally, I don't think you can win the big game with either one as starters on the team.  As backups, or with Robbie as the #3 receiver, I got no problem.  Paying Robbie 12 million a year is just overpaying a guy who is not a #1 or a #2.

If Trent Dilfer can win a SB then Robby Anderson certainly can. I mean Tyrick Hill is not a number one but you put him in a lineup with Watkins and Kelce and he's very productive. It's about stacking talent, not discarding it because it's not perfect.

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 2

Todays Daily News says.........a friend sent this to me I don't read the Daily News. 

RA soon replaced and upgraded. 

11. N.Y. Jets (7-9) — Jerry Jeudy, WR, Alabama, Jr.

11. N.Y. Jets (7-9) — Jerry Jeudy, WR, Alabama, Jr.

Elite prospects seem to fall in the Jets' lap (See: Leonard Williams and Jamal Adams). Wide receiver Robby Anderson is facing free agency. Jeudy is an upgrade and the crown jewel of what is shaping up to be a special 2020 class of receivers. He's the best prospect at the position in almost a decade. Top needs: OL, WR, Edge (AP Photo/Vasha Hunt)

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, TNJet said:

Shell is the best olinemen for resigning. Still young, has experience and more upside than the ancient Beachum and the horrible Winters. 

I wouldn't be so quick to part with Beachum.  You may need him for another season,. The team was a disaster without him.   We still need to draft a future tackle but he may be worth keeping around if the price is right.  

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Sympathy 3

15 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I’ll be interested to see what Anderson could get on the open market. He’s been available at the trade deadline for the past two years and the best offer we’ve heard about both years was a fourth rounder, which seems odd considering the stats. Either he’s an outright jerkoff off the field, or he’s just so unreliable on the field (in terms of running routes) that teams don’t want him as anything more than a #3. Remember, he’s a 6’3” dude with sticky hands who runs a legitimate 4.3/40, and he still went undrafted. There’s something not right with the guy

It’s one thing to take a shot on someone with a year of guaranteed money. It’s quite another thing to surrender a day 1 or 2 draft pick for the privilege of making such an offer to him. Teams can probably talk themselves into his numbers being lower because it was the Jets (and they’d be better for their better team); plus whatever secondary stories it’s hard for a team to ignore his past offseason distractions; his general incoherence when talking/tweeting (and I’m not talking about obvious cultural differences between him and me — he does sound like he’s got no brains); and that dumbass hairstyle and vacant-eyed player profile picture is doing him no favors in combination with the 2 prior, legitimate concerns to teams that don’t know him as well as the Jets do. 

Why no better than a 4th round trade offer, but still might get a sizable FA contract? Really it’s kind of common, if not the norm. There are plenty of players who don’t garner draft pick offers in trade, yet get big money from someone else after the season’s over. Basically that’s every higher-priced free agent who was on a stinker team already eliminated by the trade deadline (like the ‘19 Jets).

• 2017 — No one even offered up a 7th rounder for Allen Robinson’s rights when he was on IR in 2017; then in March the Bears ink him to a $14MM/yr deal with $25MM guaranteed. What was the top offer we got for Demario Davis? Moncrief got $10MM as a FA that offseason, Indy had no hopes and knew it in late Oct, yet they didn’t trade him for even a later day 3 pick.
  • 2018 — Wentz was healthy and on fire in mid/late October, but nobody offered up a high enough pick at the deadline for Nick Foles, who then got a starter’s contract after the season? Giants were a 1-win team and didn’t trade Landon Collins (or more to the point no one offered them a day 2 pick, let alone a 1st rounder, for a young probowl + all pro safety?); he got a $14MM/yr deal as a FA 5 months later. There weren’t any playoff teams who could have used a healthy, veteran TE having a probowl season for a blatantly-tanking Oakland team?
  • 2019 — Anderson would fit right in with the above. Why wouldn’t the Giants get something for Eli Manning while they could? Washington with Scherff?

Most teams don’t like trading draft picks away. It’s the best chance anyone has of getting long term contract tied to a cheap starter (and sometimes a stud/star starter, regardless of the original draft round). 

I honestly don’t get the long game Douglas is/was playing with regard to Anderson, especially since there have been no rumors leaked that the Jets were trying to extend him in Nov/Dec, nor that they are trying to lock him up now. How does a talent-needy team turn down a 4th round pick for a mere 9 more games of a guy who’s having a disappointing season at that stage, and is headed to free agency immediately afterward? I mean, did he not ask Anderson what kind of extension $ he’d be looking for, before turning down his top trade offer? The only thing I can imagine is he/Gase rationalized that a 4th rounder was not worth 9 more games of doing everything they could to further Darnold’s development. I tossed that idea out here in October, but I didn’t know RA’s line in the sand was nearly $14-15MM to keep him from testing free agency. Then again 2 years guaranteed at $11MM is a riskier team investment than 1 year guaranteed at $14MM, and I think that gets overlooked in favor of the latter number’s sticker shock, so who knows what was being discussed back then.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

My biggest problem with Anderson is he does none of the things that make him a complete WR. I'm not saying he can't  run short or mid routes, he does, but he is so mediocre  at it, why would anyone take notice. What he does well are splash plays that get noticed by everyone. I would be fine trading him. I would actually try to get one of the top WR's in round one because the OL in this draft is very deep. 

Shell i would have no problem signing as well as Beachum unless we draft a solid prospect at LT. 

• Upvote 1

Anderson is for sure worth keeping as long as he does not ask for something out of line.

The problem with Anderson is that although he is a great deep threat he does not translate his speed into big plays on shorter passes.

We see the guys on KC get a short medium pass and have the potential to go all the way.

As for Shell, maybe back up fodder but after a promising start to his career he has tailed off.

11 hours ago, T0mShane said:

An IQ south of a illiterate, empty jar of mayo will give anyone the sense of "something not right"

(Yeah, illiterate empty jar of mayo. Not just an empty jar)

• Thumb Down 2

17 hours ago, varjet said:

Maybe for the same reason we overpaid Bell and Mosely to come here?   More money than sense?

10 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

My biggest problem with Anderson is he does none of the things that make him a complete WR. I'm not saying he can't  run short or mid routes, he does, but he is so mediocre  at it, why would anyone take notice. What he does well are splash plays that get noticed by everyone. I would be fine trading him. I would actually try to get one of the top WR's in round one because the OL in this draft is very deep. 

Shell i would have no problem signing as well as Beachum unless we draft a solid prospect at LT. 

He’s not the Jets’ player to trade anymore. 

As far as Shell’s concerned, I think it’s a long shot for him to re-sign here after Gase benched him, while healthy, on a line that wasn’t any good without him, in a contract year. Now that I just said that, he’ll probably sign an extension tomorrow, lol. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, phill1c said:

WTF is up with the Anderson hatred? you guys hate the entire f*cking team.

Anderson actually showed a great deal improvement at the end of the year. Oh wait. this is all about giving money to players and worrying about a head case or loafing.

8 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Anderson is for sure worth keeping as long as he does not ask for something out of line.

The problem with Anderson is that although he is a great deep threat he does not translate his speed into big plays on shorter passes.

We see the guys on KC get a short medium pass and have the potential to go all the way.

As for Shell, maybe back up fodder but after a promising start to his career he has tailed off.

He's a #3 WR on most teams and isn't worth more than $10 million a year. 

He runs bad routes,gives up on the ball,doesnt fight for the ball and so far is just a long ball threat. 

We desperately need a legitimate #1 WR. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Beerfish said:

anderson isnt perfect but he gets open and scores touchdowns (insert cris carter joke here).  

anderson scored 5 tds last year, and the jets won all 5 of those games.  

he's a guy who won't play well every game but when he does you definitely have a better shot of winning.  there aren't many guys on the jets who actually help win games like him, and i'd rather pay him than most anyone else on offense.  

like darnold, anderson could also use some help.  get him a running back who is quick on screens passes and set up 2nd and 5 so they can play action more effectively.  get him a real possession wr to complement what he does.  anderson would also benefit from a better OL so darnold has more time to allow anderson to get separation downfield.

9 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

He’s not the Jets’ player to trade anymore. 

As far as Shell’s concerned, I think it’s a long shot for him to re-sign here after Gase benched him, while healthy, on a line that wasn’t any good without him, in a contract year. Now that I just said that, he’ll probably sign an extension tomorrow, lol. 

Someone already pointed out that he's  a FA and I said then let him go. No need to pile on. 

12 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

anderson isnt perfect but he gets open and scores touchdowns (insert cris carter joke here).  

anderson scored 5 tds last year, and the jets won all 5 of those games.  

he's a guy who won't play well every game but when he does you definitely have a better shot of winning.  there aren't many guys on the jets who actually help win games like him, and i'd rather pay him than most anyone else on offense.  

like darnold, anderson could also use some help.  get him a running back who is quick on screens passes and set up 2nd and 5 so they can play action more effectively.  get him a real possession wr to complement what he does.  anderson would also benefit from a better OL so darnold has more time to allow anderson to get separation downfield.

Please, the Jets have everything except  the OL. Bell is one if not the best pass catching backs in the league. He is perfect to run screens with, as well as is Powell. If Thomas isn't  a possesion WR, I have no idea what he is. 

Here is the deal with Anderson and why I don't  want him. When he is not the guy getting the ball, you can see he takes the play off and freelances. Also, when we use him on short and mid routes, he does nothing with those. I have never aeen him on a long run unless the defender was behind him. Look at what Tyreke Hill does with a short pass or Deebo Samuel. 

Let someone else pay and motivate him.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, phill1c said:

Anderson actually showed a great deal improvement at the end of the year. Oh wait. this is all about giving money to players and worrying about a head case or loafing.

What is with if everyone doesn’t fawn over a player then they hate that player? He has improved and nobody can argue that. The point is if he’s worth #1/#2 money. Personally I think he’s worth #2/#3 money and I like the kid. Think he has grown as a player and as a person .  But no way in hell he’s a legitimate #1 receiver. He still has to be strong  and better at contested balls. He tracks the ball beautifully if he can get more polish on his routes and start going after jump balls better he can become a top tier threat. Big but though. 

• Post of the Week 1

Just now, More Cowbell said:

Please, the Jets have everything except  the OL. Bell is one if not the best pass catching backs in the league. He is perfect to run screens with, as well as is Powell. If Thomas isn't  a possesion WR, I have no idea what he is. 

Here is the deal with Anderson and why I don't  want him. When he is not the guy getting the ball, you can see he takes the play off and freelances. Also, when we use him on short and mid routes, he does nothing with those. I have never aeen him on a long run unless the defender was behind him. Look at what Tyreke Hill does with a short pass or Deebo Samuel. 

Let someone else pay and motivate him.

there couldn't be more wrong with this.  did you watch the games yesterday?  these teams have elite offensive personnel.  the jets have no speed except for anderson and you want to give that away.  if you think bell and powell are the answers at running back you will find a lot of opposition here.  powell can't stay healthy for more than 3 games in a row and bell is almost 30.  

I don't hate at all... I actually love the guy @7-8mill per.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

there couldn't be more wrong with this.  did you watch the games yesterday?  these teams have elite offensive personnel.  the jets have no speed except for anderson and you want to give that away.  if you think bell and powell are the answers at running back you will find a lot of opposition here.  powell can't stay healthy for more than 3 games in a row and bell is almost 30.  

What is wrong with you? That isn't  at all what i said. You want RB's that can catch a screen and get 5 yards, Bell can do that, so can Powell. Are either the RB the Jets need or rather Gase wants, I don't  know. I'm pretty sure we probably move on from Powell and who knows with Bell. I'm sure he would rather be pkaying somewhere else  after the way he was used. I mean forget we didn't  run him enough, we also barely threw the ball to him. I have no idea who the RB on the Jets should be.

it was mentioned we need guys who can catch and get 5 yards. Bell made a living at that in Pit. 

And you are worried about speed? There is a guy in the draft that is faster that Anderson and does all the things he doesn't  Henry Ruggs. The guy runs a 2.2 from what I read, has a good catch radius, and id a run after the catch on short routes guy. We can draft him and get OL later. That probably makes the most sense instead of reaching for Willis.