The QB position has evolved. The future is here now.

When a ground breaking new product is introduced, it often serves as a trial balloon of sorts. The second iteration is often better, because a company has time to examine and hear comments about the initial release.

The QB position, and the way it has changed is no different. Mobile QBs who are as dangerous with their legs as they are with their arms are the future of the NFL. We saw the first iteration a few years back, with the likes of RGIII and Cam Newton. They were exciting, and at times dominant. However, they were a prototype, not a finished product. OC's had yet to learn how to design plays that would not only make use of their abilities, or how to protect them from injury. Players like them used their bodies magically, but exposed them to injury.

Enter the second wave... First came Mahomes and Watson. Then a year later Jackson and Allen. This year it was Kyler Murray. Strong armed, mobile, and elusive, every one of them. They are the future of the QB position, and they are here. They're here now, and more are coming.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, jetsons said:

There is a distinct difference between a "running" QB & a "mobile" QB... running QB's do not last & will not excel in the NFL... Mobile QB's have been in the NFL since the inception of the forward pass... They will always be there... some will succeed some will not just like pocket passing QB's.

That's the same old tired response I keep hearing over and over in this forum.

Open your eyes and look at the game, and the QB position. It's changing, and you refuse to see it.

Mahomes - the best QB in the game, '18 MVP going to the Super Bowl

Watson - Playoff performer and among the top 10 in the game

Jackson - Playoff performer and will be the '19 MVP

Allen - playoff performer, getting better and better

Murray - Soon to be named Rookie of the Year

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Josh Allen is elusive? Watson has a strong arm?  

This over generalization is silly.  To say all those guys are the same type of QB simply because they are mobile is extremely debatable.  They are all mobile though, that is true.  A lot of difference in all the players listed after mobility though.

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

That's the same old tired response I keep hearing over and over in this forum.

Open your eyes and look at the game, and the QB position. It's changing, and you refuse to see it.

Mahomes - the best QB in the game, '18 MVP going to the Super Bowl

Watson - Playoff performer and among the top 10 in the game

Jackson - Playoff performer and will be the '19 MVP

Allen - playoff performer, getting better and better

Murray - Soon to be named Rookie of the Year

We get it Buddy.  But I remember a time I was watching Tarkenton, Archie Manning and Roger Staubach compete against each other.   

• Upvote 4

Just now, Tony The Wiz said:

We get Buddy.  But I remember a time I was watching Tarkenton, Archie Manning and Roger Staubach compete against each other.   

What's old is new again? ? Like I said a few posts back, they were outliers. That won't be the case much longer.

Someone mentioned Burrow, and Lawrence runs well too. The Ohio State QB is another, but many more will follow, and quickly.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Do I have to pull up Sam Darnold’s high school highlights again to ruin this guy’s day or does anyone else want the honors?

Whatever makes you sleep well at night is fine. If it's Sam in high school, good for you.

Let's stay on topic though, young sir!

• Haha 3

Just now, Patriot Killa said:

Apparently there’s no hope, all these other QB’s are great and Sam Darnold is trash . He doesn’t even deserve to be brought up in discussions of new era AFC QB’s. Won’t be around in 3 years.

Yup everything sucks we screwed up ? 

5 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

What's old is new again? ? Like I said a few posts back, they were outliers. That won't be the case much longer.

Someone mentioned Burrow, and Lawrence runs well too. The Ohio State QB is another, but many more will follow, and quickly.

Look I don't know how old you are but today's football does not compare with the late 1960's, 1970's, 1980's and even the 1990's . Today's game the defense is not allowed to play. Look at the QB ratings of today compared to Montana, Marino, Elway, Staubach and Bradshaw.  It is so inflated.   

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, yvj said:

IMO it'll takes one or two years for defenses and defensive coordinators to adjust. But once the def schemes feature LBs routinely laying wood on franchise qbs the market will correct itself. 

Mahomes and Watson finished their third seasons. Jackson and Allen their second.

They're all getting better. Nobody is close to catching up to them.

1 minute ago, Tony The Wiz said:

Look I don't know how old you are but today's football does not compare with the late 1960's, 1970's, 1980's and even the 1990's . Today's game the defense is not allowed to play. Look at the QB ratings of today compared to Montana, Marino, Elway, Staubach and Bradshaw.  It is so inflated.   

Yeah, ok, but what's your point? If it's that these QBs are protected more by the rules, sure, I a gree. That's only going to make these guys more prevalent, which was MY point.

BTW I'm sure I'm at least as old as you. I remember Namath playing at Alabama, LOL.