Jump to content
Fibonacci

Ownership is the problem. Time to force Woody to sell Jets.

Recommended Posts

20 hours ago, Mike135 said:

I like MetLife much more than midget stadium.

Gate D was fun as a teenager though. 

Gate D was outstanding

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Dec. 28, 2018
    • EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — Somewhere in the outer regions of the MetLife Stadium parking lot, Gary Vaynerchuk, the entrepreneur and strategist better known to his legions of devoted Twitter followers and YouTube subscribers as Gary Vee, gathered some friends for a pregame huddle.

Or maybe it was a prayer circle.

“O.K., bring it in,” he said in a hushed voice.

The 12 men wrapped arms and locked eyes. One by one, they predicted the final score and a key play of the game. And because they were all Jets fans, the overwhelming expectation on this damp December afternoon was that the Jets would lose.

In fact, Vaynerchuk was hoping for it.

“I want them to get a high draft pick,” he said. “Any real fan should want the same thing.”

Know this: Vaynerchuk, 43, is a real fan, and he has been since the New York Sack Exchange team in 1982. He might prove this by casually referencing the former wide receiver Wallace Wright (career receptions: eight). He also owns a Thomas Hennessy jersey. That’s the current team’s long snapper.

So when he one day owns the Jets, Vaynerchuk said, he will still be rooting for high draft picks and tailgating in the parking lot and tweeting furiously about his team’s preseason games, because that’s what Vaynerchuk does. Fulfilling a lifelong dream to buy this particularly unfortunate and derisible N.F.L. franchise wouldn’t change that.

Many die-hard N.F.L. fans might dream of owning their favorite team. Vaynerchuk, though, is the rare fan with an outside chance of one day making that dream a reality.

Here’s the plan: Over the next 25 years, if his $150 million communications holdings company, VaynerX, sees the growth he expects, and the team’s current owner, Woody Johnson, or his family, or whoever is the principal owner at that point, is ready to sell, then the Jets will become Vaynerchuk’s.

Scratch that. When these things happen, not if. Because no one is willing to bet bigger on himself than Gary Vee.

On a recent afternoon in his office on Manhattan’s West Side, in front of a window gazing across the belly of the city, Vaynerchuk took stock of the bustling digital media empire he built, in part, on his ability to scout the future.

“All of this is to buy the New York Jets,” he said, sweeping an arm toward the glass wall facing rows of cubicles and conference rooms.

“Yes,” he continued, “that’s what I want to do with my life. I’d like to buy the Jets at 68 years old and win six Super Bowls before I die.”

It is reasonable to wonder, as the Jets wrap up another losing season, why them? Why the Jets? It is a franchise that, after all, just celebrated the 50th anniversary of its last Super Bowl. A franchise most likely on the verge of making a sixth coaching change since 2000. A franchise that has again missed the playoffs, for the 22nd time in the past 30 years.

According to Forbes, the Jets ($2.85 billion) are the eighth most valuable team in the N.F.L., but the fourth most valuable sports team in the New York metropolitan area, slightly ahead of the Mets ($2.1 billion). And there is no indication that Johnson, currently the United States ambassador to the United Kingdom, or his brother Christopher, the team’s chairman, is planning to sell any time soon.

Still, when RSE Ventures, led by Stephen M. Ross, the majority owner of the Miami Dolphins, bought a stake in VaynerMedia in 2014, it came with a half-serious option for equity in the football team, as well. Vaynerchuk declined.

“It would have been cool to walk around life as a 38-year-old and say I own the Dolphins,” he said. “But I hate the Dolphins.”

Ross said: “I’d be partners with him in anything. But I knew he wasn’t going to do that.”

It has been all about the J-E-T-S since Vaynerchuk, who was born in Belarus, started selling lemonade and shoveling snow for extra cash in Edison, N.J. His family moved first to Queens and then to New Jersey, where his father opened a wine store called Shoppers Discount Liquors. In 1996, working for his father, Vaynerchuk considered opening a second store. Instead, he started a website. A multimillion-dollar e-commerce wine-selling enterprise was born.

Along the way, he discovered the Jets. As an immigrant bouncing to various places in his childhood, without a firm grasp of English, he found in the early 1980s that football helped him bond with children in school and connect with the community.

“It represented so much,” he said. “We were starting to make it in America. That was the way I broke through. It is the American thing for me.”

Though cheer-worthy seasons have been few and far between since 1982, his passion for the Jets has hardly diminished. In the Vayner offices, there are autographed helmets, framed jerseys on the walls and even a small Jets ornament hanging from a Christmas tree in the reception area. At a recent consulting workshop called the Daily Digital Deep Dive, for which a seat at the conference table costs $10,000, Vaynerchuk wore an “ugly” Jets sweater equipped with battery-powered lights.

On game days, from his seats in Section 113, Row 18, Vaynerchuk has become one of the team’s most famous fans since Edwin Anzalone, better known as Fireman Ed, stopped regularly attending games in 2012.

“He used to get so upset after losses,” said Phil Toronto, VaynerX’s senior vice president for special projects, investing and advising, “I used to have to cancel meetings the next day.”

Vaynerchuk said he has no relationship with the Johnsons and has never engaged in any discussions about a sale.

There is no discussion to be had, he said. He understands that N.F.L. teams are purchased by people with substantially more money than he has, like David A. Tepper, a hedge fund manager who paid more than $2.2 billion for the Carolina Panthers in May.

So Vaynerchuk’s pledge to one day have the resources to buy the team might be partly self-motivational, a goal to chase. But that has not stopped him from candidly telling anyone who asks that he is actively laying the foundation for a future Jets takeover.

Being discreet was never Vaynerchuk’s style. With a podcast, newsletters, essays, books and tweets, he is widely credited with originating the full-time videographer trend by putting his life on camera, everywhere, for a series called DailyVee starting in 2015.

His views on transparency and engagement naturally seem to conflict with the N.F.L., which he called “stodgy and out of touch” in its handling of a recent case of violence against a woman by Kansas City Chiefs running back Kareem Hunt.

“When you’re talking about a passionate product, you can’t just put out press releases,” Vaynerchuk said.

“He’s speaking it into existence,” his brother and business partner, A.J., said.

“Gary doesn’t have a dream to own tons of houses or a private jet,” he added. “I truly believe he’s working toward ownership of the Jets.”

The league’s struggle to stem the exodus of fans choosing to watch games on television, rather than attend in person, is another sticking point for Vaynerchuk, who criticized the Jets and the Giants for betraying many longtime season-ticket holders with the introduction of costly personal seat licenses when the teams moved into MetLife in 2010.

“He has the pulse of the people out there,” Ross said. “Sometimes you lose sight of them. How do you get to them? How do you influence them? How do you market to them?”

Ross said that although Vaynerchuk might not have been interested in owning the Dolphins, he has contributed marketing ideas geared toward Dolphins fans.

“Social media is the greatest marketing tool there is today,” Ross said. “And he’s like the gold standard in that.”

That was evident before the Jets hosted the Houston Texans, as Vaynerchuk bounced around the small gathering in the parking lot in typically restless fashion. He exchanged text messages with a professional boxer, recorded a video for Facebook Live and checked his YouTube page, where he had just posted a seven-and-a-half-hour vlog of his recent tour of Dubai.

As far as tailgates go, it was a mild one. There was one foldout chair. Somebody handed out a bag of pretzels. (Vaynerchuk, who recently started a direct-to-consumer winery called Empathy Wines, rarely drinks beer.)

Around 4 p.m., Vaynerchuk, wearing a Sam Darnold jersey (the Hennessy one stayed at home this day), a knit cap and a pair of K-Swiss sneakers, began walking toward the stadium and was quickly recognized by multiple groups of fans, who approached him asking for selfies.

Rolling his eyes, A.J. Vaynerchuk joked, “It’s like he’s a slot receiver.”

Except that his route is aimed at the owner’s suite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/20/2020 at 7:36 AM, NYJ1 said:

Woody and Chris are great owners. Their only problem has always been poor hiring decisions. They've consistently hired poor GM's. Their ONLY good hire was Rex Ryan. However, they paired Ryan with some of the worst GM's I've ever seen. They just need to Make two good, consecutive hires in the GM and HC and the rest is history.

Leon Hess for all his faults, mostly because of benign neglect, put together one of the greatest coaching staffs in NFL history.  Woody let it slip out of his hands.  He wasn't paying attention to the football team he was buying an asset.  

They are great owners.  Their assets has grown in value exponentially.  From the fan prospective, the actual team on the field, they are incompetent bumbling idiots.  Completely clueless.  They had the equivalent of Vince Lombardi, Hank Stram and Bill Walsh under contract and they let him walk out the back door to a divisional opponent.  They let the owner of the NE Patriots go into the warehouse and empty the shelves of the football organization while they were celebrating their good fortune.

They are great owners.  They are bumbling fools when it comes to the football operation.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

                ''It could be made into a Monster if we all pull together as a team.''

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, rangerous said:

you don't think the nfl is a business to jerry jones?  robert kraft? lamar hunt's heirs? the rooney family?  the mara's?  the johnsons want their team to win because that translates to revenue.  the thing they've done wrong is select the wrong people to run the team.  on that basis of course it's their fault but trading them for different owners isn't going to make anything different.  the new owners will choose people to run and coach the team.

Of course it is but they also seem to have a clue about winning and hiring the right people to do so. 

Some owners are in it for the money and unfortunately I think thats the Johnson brothers.

Win or lose they profit and we suffer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

The Johnson brothers are football morons. 

Nice guys,compasssionate,mean well I've met them both, they just don't get it and as long as they are making money the win-loss record means nothing to them. 

Fans leave the stadium all pissed off after spending a day and quite a bit of money, they leave the stadium richer than when they got there. 

The NFL is a business to them. 

joewilly12

Agree with much of what you have written. What killed it for me very early on was the way they handled Mangini/Favre and then later on Rex/Sanchez/ and Tebow. All to sell jerseys instead of staying the course and building a winning culture. Loosing the West side stadium to Dolan (and then re upping with the Giants instead of finding an alternative) was a major setback. Choosing to work for Trump over being a football owner first speaks volume of ownership's commitment to winning.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Of course it is but they also seem to have a clue about winning and hiring the right people to do so. 

Some owners are in it for the money and unfortunately I think thats the Johnson brothers.

Win or lose they profit and we suffer. 

I don't believe that at all. They have fired coaches and paid multiple coaches simultaneously. They have put big money signing bonuses out on free agents.

They have exhibited a willingness to spend. What they do not have is an organizational acumen.

They deserve to make money on their investment, regardless. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Scott Dierking said:

I don't believe that at all. They have fired coaches and paid multiple coaches simultaneously. They have put big money signing bonuses out on free agents.

They have exhibited a willingness to spend. What they do not have is an organizational acumen.

They deserve to make money on their investment, regardless. 

I agree with this 89 percent.   The other 11 percent is Woody sticking his nose in. Look at Chris talk for example. He is actively involved.  They will spend money but they simply can't seem to evaluate talent.  I 100 percent bet that if Idzik or Mac were interviewed by the Board of J and J neither would have gotten the job. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/20/2020 at 9:36 AM, NYJ1 said:

Woody and Chris are great owners. Their only problem has always been poor hiring decisions. They've consistently hired poor GM's. Their ONLY good hire was Rex Ryan. However, they paired Ryan with some of the worst GM's I've ever seen. They just need to Make two good, consecutive hires in the GM and HC and the rest is history.

This is a great ship, the only problem is we have a blind captain.  Oh yes... those icebergs.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Leon Hess for all his faults, mostly because of benign neglect, put together one of the greatest coaching staffs in NFL history.  Woody let it slip out of his hands.  He wasn't paying attention to the football team he was buying an asset.  

They are great owners.  Their assets has grown in value exponentially.  From the fan prospective, the actual team on the field, they are incompetent bumbling idiots.  Completely clueless.  They had the equivalent of Vince Lombardi, Hank Stram and Bill Walsh under contract and they let him walk out the back door to a divisional opponent.  They let the owner of the NE Patriots go into the warehouse and empty the shelves of the football organization while they were celebrating their good fortune.

They are great owners.  They are bumbling fools when it comes to the football operation.  

I am not sure how much access Woody may have had to team executives during the sale process. Certainly in organizational purchases that I have been involved with, we interview key executives before a purchase. Of course, never to this magnitude, nor with the peering eye of an entity like the NFL overseeing the sale.

What Woody should have done is had an executive meeting called with Parcells and in place once the Jets season was over. In that meeting they should have had preliminary discussions for a continuity of coaching structure. It would have at least made Parcells think much more deeply about that transition, and would have hopefully put off his fumbling of transition of coaching power. Parcells bungled that in a big way.

The deal was finalized January 18, 2000. Ir should have been pretty clear that Woody was going to be the guy. He should have insisted on that initial strategy meeting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I don't believe that at all. They have fired coaches and paid multiple coaches simultaneously. They have put big money signing bonuses out on free agents.

They have exhibited a willingness to spend. What they do not have is an organizational acumen.

They deserve to make money on their investment, regardless. 

Before Woody there was Hess should sell posts he sucks.. Fans go after the owner when their not happy nothing new here..

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I agree with this 89 percent.   The other 11 percent is Woody sticking his nose in. Look at Chris talk for example. He is actively involved.  They will spend money but they simply can't seem to evaluate talent.  I 100 percent bet that if Idzik or Mac were interviewed by the Board of J and J neither would have gotten the job. 

 

 

As owners will do. I am 1000% positive that Johnson was part of the Tebow acquisition, and that set in motion many events that this franchise has not recovered. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

This is a great ship, the only problem is we have a blind captain.  Oh yes... those icebergs.

Maybe they should hire you, you always seem to have the right answers??B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I don't believe that at all. They have fired coaches and paid multiple coaches simultaneously. They have put big money signing bonuses out on free agents.

They have exhibited a willingness to spend. What they do not have is an organizational acumen.

They deserve to make money on their investment, regardless. 

They are football morons. 

They had to go outside the organization for recommendations on who to hire. 

Of course they deserve to make money but all fans mostly those paying for PSL's and season tickets deserve a winning product on the field. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, joewilly12 said:

They are football morons. 

They had to go outside the organization for recommendations on who to hire. 

Of course they deserve to make money but all fans mostly those paying for PSL's and season tickets deserve a winning product on the field. 

Fans deserve nothing, really. They choose to root for the team and where they spend their money. If you don't like it, root for someone else and spend your money elsewhere.

Maybe you missed where I said "they do not have organizational acumen".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Maybe they should hire you, you always seem to have the right answers??B)

I know enough that I would not know how to evaliuate talent.  If I bought the team, I'd use a Board of Directors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Fans deserve nothing, really. They choose to root for the team and where they spend their money. If you don't like it, root for someone else and spend your money elsewhere.

Maybe you missed where I said "they do not have organizational acumen".

That's your opinion. 

Have a nice day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

Woody has not really done much of anything to move the needle on the value of the Jets, it moves with the market of the teams.  

Really?

Bought a lower valued franchise for $635 million.  Spent a record $70 mil on a world class practice facility.  Didn’t add to the value of the team?

Pushed for and was the driving force for a $1.6 B stadium.

Those are two huge factors in the value of team going from near bottom to top 5 in the league.  No matter how much that hurts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I know enough that I would not know how to evaliuate talent.  If I bought the team, I'd use a Board of Directors.

 Board of directors to evaluate talent you say?

Which is different than say a group of scouts reporting their findings, making recommendations to a GM who then makes selections based on that input how exactly?  
LOL

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

As owners will do. I am 1000% positive that Johnson was part of the Tebow acquisition, and that set in motion many events that this franchise has not recovered. 

WTF is the infatuation with Tebow.  And the BS about “many events” triggered by that signing?  The pathetic excuse making for Its effect on Sanchez, who the theory being he was forever scared by Tebows mere presence and what else exactly.  

  • Thumb Down 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

 Board of directors to evaluate talent you say?

Which is different than say a group of scouts reporting their findings, making recommendations to a GM who then makes selections based on that input how exactly?  
LOL

 

No..a BOD for hiring management to help avoid schmucks like Mac and Idzik. My BOD would be comprised of business men and woman, with a body of work evidencing their decision making prowess.  Scouts?  My HS gym teacher was a scout.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

No..a BOD for hiring management to help avoid schmucks like Mac and Idzik. My BOD would be comprised of business men and woman, with a body of work evidencing their decision making prowess.  Scouts?  My HS gym teacher was a scout.  

Lol, are you kidding 

BTW, Idzik was hired with outside help.  That worked out well

Macc was hired with the help of two HOF GM recommendations.

So more than one opinion, opinions don’t always help 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/19/2020 at 8:20 PM, Fibonacci said:

Multiple GM's, multiple HC's and same result year after year. Problem is the ownership. Jets fans need to organize to force Woody to sell. What do you guys think?

I always wonder if the people who post stuff like this are doing so in full troll mode, or if really just don't understand how the world works.

There really is no middle ground on "we must get the Owner to sell" type threads tbqh. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Before Woody there was Hess should sell posts he sucks.. Fans go after the owner when their not happy nothing new here..

I disagree with you.  Look at all the successful teams in the league and you are going to see one thing in common, great decisions making owners, from Pitts to NE.

For example, when Chris the clown was about to hire MM, a coach that this organization desperate needed. A coach who had developed talented rookies QB, SB winning coach after getting a phone call from Payton at the very last minute out of the blue like an impulsive drunk, this clown hired a fraud who failed miserably in developing Tannehill in Miami.  
 

This organization, ever since the Johnson bought the Jets, they either hire rookies unproven HC or second year failure.  The closest we came to hire a respectable coach was when Bill Cowherd flirt in joining the Jets  after he left Pitts.  
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

No..a BOD for hiring management to help avoid schmucks like Mac and Idzik. My BOD would be comprised of business men and woman, with a body of work evidencing their decision making prowess.  Scouts?  My HS gym teacher was a scout.  

Another level of middle-management isn't the solution, and Nut says, we had "great" help and still got Macc and Bowles.

The solution is the traditional working structure of NFL Teams:

Owner, who hires---->President of Football Operations, who hires and is responsible for ----> General Manager, who hires and is responsible for ------> Scouts and the Head Coach, who (with GM oversight) hires and is responsible for -----> All Asst. Coaches and Training Staff.

Apart from hiring the Pres. of Football Ops, the Owner should stay out of all Football Decisions.

Apart from hiring the GM and acting as a support, the President of Football Ops should stay out of the details of coaching and player decisions, and guide the GM more from a 30 thousand foot view/franchise strategy standpoint. 

Etc.

The "Spit Reporting System/Offset Contract Terms" system the Jets run is a proven failure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, varjet said:

Ownership is the problem.  Ownership made the decisions to hire the clowns that preceded Gase and Douglas, because they knew no better and were trying to be cheap. 

ownership was undoubtedly behind some if not most of our personnel decision oddities. 

But no one is forcing Woody to sell.  I do not see the Johnsons owning this team for 100 years like the Mara’s or Rooney’s, or Krafts or Jones for that matter.   Woody’s heirs will eventually fight with Chris for control of the team.  They will eventually have to sell it.  Give it 10 or so years.   Some finance type is sharpening their pencil as we speak. 

Unfortunately I want to be able to enjoy it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

WTF is the infatuation with Tebow.  And the BS about “many events” triggered by that signing?  The pathetic excuse making for Its effect on Sanchez, who the theory being he was forever scared by Tebows mere presence and what else exactly.  

The Tebow trade was the buttfumble player personnel moves

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Really?

Bought a lower valued franchise for $635 million.  Spent a record $70 mil on a world class practice facility.  Didn’t add to the value of the team?

Pushed for and was the driving force for a $1.6 B stadium.

Those are two huge factors in the value of team going from near bottom to top 5 in the league.  No matter how much that hurts. 

So? The Knicks are the 3rd or 4th most valuable franchise in all of sports and Dolan spends money is he a good owner?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Before Woody there was Hess should sell posts he sucks.. Fans go after the owner when their not happy nothing new here..

At least Hess knew to give control to Parcells

 

A similar move would be Woody giving Jim Harbaugh next year $100 mil and total control

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Woody Johnson from the get go was in it for the money. 

He failed to build the NY Jets their own home stadium. 

Instead he took the cheap way out and partnered up with the NY Giants cheap owners. 

Florham Park is nice but he had no choice to do that as Hofsra  facilities were sub-par for NFL standards. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

As owners will do. I am 1000% positive that Johnson was part of the Tebow acquisition, and that set in motion many events that this franchise has not recovered. 

No doubt! I was against the move. Non the less had to go see the hoopla.

A5659378-4204-4732-B162-220D2B17F1C4.thumb.jpeg.f6629c6d74bedea18d7d69546ed63d79.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Lol, are you kidding 

BTW, Idzik was hired with outside help.  That worked out well

Macc was hired with the help of two HOF GM recommendations.

So more than one opinion, opinions don’t always help 

 

These people are NOT qualified to sit on the Board of a public company.  But  see your point, I simply think we need more rational, non emotional hiring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Copernicus said:

Agree with much of what you have written. What killed it for me very early on was the way they handled Mangini/Favre and then later on Rex/Sanchez/ and Tebow. All to sell jerseys instead of staying the course and building a winning culture. Loosing the West side stadium to Dolan (and then re upping with the Giants instead of finding an alternative) was a major setback. Choosing to work for Trump over being a football owner first speaks volume of ownership's commitment to winning.. 

Looking at Woody - to me, it was clear positive press, news stories and PR were the priority for the Jets = winning was secondary.  When that’s the case you get what the Jets are....

My guess is CJ wanted to build a winner - but he just seems in waaaaaaay over his head.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...