Revis talking smack

prime21

Dont let the hate you all have for Revis as a person/teammate blind you from what he did on the field as a player. Hes the best positional player to ever play in a Jets uniform, no matter how you try and spin it, and a HOFer. His prime, although short, was and still is, unlike anything this league has ever seen. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Ohhthepain said:

Dont let the hate you all have for Revis as a person/teammate blind you from what he did on the field as a player. Hes the best positional player to ever play in a Jets uniform, no matter how you try and spin it, and a HOFer. His prime, although short, was and still is, unlike anything this league has ever seen. 

I agree he was great and is a HOF player but please that kind of hyperbole is insane.  Deion Sanders and Rod Woodson didn't play that long ago.  He's in a group of great HOF CB.  It would be hard to pick the top 5 and you could make a serious argument that Revis isn't one of them.

On 1/20/2020 at 1:44 PM, southparkcpa said:

We couldn't get a stop when it mattered.    We gave up 24 unanswered points in 2 consecutive AFCC games, countless 4th quarter losses.   I don't deny his talent, just he is a scumbag as a person and teammate.

What the **** are you talking about?  All that 24 unanswered points means is that the offense didn't score.  I don't know, or care, what you think about Sanchez, but the offense sucked. 

The Steelers didn't even score 24 points against the Jets defense.  They scored 17, or was Sanchez spitting the ball up for a fumble return TD on Revis?  The drive chart of the 2nd half of that game reads as follows - INT, punt, safety, end of game.  So they gave up an 8 play drive to end the game?  Maybe if the offense could have mustered more than -2 yards 3 and out, 3 yards 3 and out and -14 yard fumble for a TD to start the game, the D would have given a better showing. 

The Colts did roll over the Jets in the AFCCG, after their other CBs got dinged, but that loss was also on the offense.  Still, the Colts scored their points unanswered because the O couldn't put any points on the board.

6 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

What the **** are you talking about?  All that 24 unanswered points means is that the offense didn't score.  I don't know, or care, what you think about Sanchez, but the offense sucked. 

The Steelers didn't even score 24 points against the Jets defense.  They scored 17, or was Sanchez spitting the ball up for a fumble return TD on Revis?  The drive chart of the 2nd half of that game reads as follows - INT, punt, safety, end of game.  So they gave up an 8 play drive to end the game?  Maybe if the offense could have mustered more than -2 yards 3 and out, 3 yards 3 and out and -14 yard fumble for a TD to start the game, the D would have given a better showing. 

The Colts did roll over the Jets in the AFCCG, after their other CBs got dinged, but that loss was also on the offense.  Still, the Colts scored their points unanswered because the O couldn't put any points on the board.

What are you talking about.  Our O scored 19 unanswered points against the Steelers.  Sanchez was awesome.

• Thumb Down 1

Any of Revis' best 4 or 5 seasons are EASILY better than any of the seasons that Sherman has had. And Sherman is a helluva player but even in his best seasons, he gave up several touchdowns. Revis over about 3 seasons, gave up what - 3 TDs? He was the best defensive player in the NFL for several seasons.

If he never tore his knee, this wouldnt even be a debate by anyone. 

22 minutes ago, Biggs said:

What are you talking about.  Our O scored 19 unanswered points against the Steelers.  Sanchez was awesome.

OOooooh, unanswered!  How do you do that when the defense is sh*tting the bed?  Also, you give Sanchez credit for the safety over Revis?  Interesting.  Net score in that game the Jets O outscored the Steeler D 17-7.  The Steelers O outscored the Jets D 17-2.  ******* awesome!

I get totally understand nyjunc and others complaining because the D gave up some long drives in the 1st half, but I don't see how anyone can use the term awesome to describe a team down 14 entering the 4th quarter using 11 minutes of possession to score 1 TD.oh

9 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

OOooooh, unanswered!  How do you do that when the defense is sh*tting the bed?  Also, you give Sanchez credit for the safety over Revis?  Interesting.  Net score in that game the Jets O outscored the Steeler D 17-7.  The Steelers O outscored the Jets D 17-2.  ******* awesome!

I get totally understand nyjunc and others complaining because the D gave up some long drives in the 1st half, but I don't see how anyone can use the term awesome to describe a team down 14 entering the 4th quarter using 11 minutes of possession to score 1 TD.oh

I was kidding.  The unanswered points argument is insane.  The Jets seemed to have a little hangover after the win in NE.  The D wasn't good at the start of that game.  I agree with you the O absolutely buried them.  

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

The D allowed Pitt to run all over us, they allowed to a 10 minute TD drive so the O didn't touch the ball until share 1st qtr already down 7.  The O barely had the ball in the 1st half thanks to the dominating ground game of Pitt.  The O got it within a one score game with about 3 minutes and 3 TOs left.  They allowed Pitt to get two 1st downs and end it.  

The D cost us that game.

Just now, nyjunc said:

The D allowed Pitt to run all over us, they allowed to a 10 minute TD drive so the O didn't touch the ball until share 1st qtr already down 7.  The O barely had the ball in the 1st half thanks to the dominating ground game of Pitt.  The O got it within a one score game with about 3 minutes and 3 TOs left.  They allowed Pitt to get two 1st downs and end it.  

The D cost us that game.

See.  I told you guys.

The fact that gaining 3 yards and going 3 and out was only their 3rd worst drive in the first half had nothing to do with them not having the ball?  We have had this argument multiple times and there are no winners (except the Steelers) but it is irrelevant here.  The rush D was the problem and none of that was on Revis who had 8 tackles and a pass defensed.  I can't remember, but I think Revis was on Mike Wallace who was their best WR then and had 1 catch for 6.  None of the Steelers WR had much of a day - Hines Ward 2/14, Antonio Brown 1/14, Emmanuel Sanders 1/20. 

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

I agree he was great and is a HOF player but please that kind of hyperbole is insane.  Deion Sanders and Rod Woodson didn't play that long ago.  He's in a group of great HOF CB.  It would be hard to pick the top 5 and you could make a serious argument that Revis isn't one of them.

Is it really that insane though?

SmartSelect_20200122-142427_Chrome.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, Ohhthepain said:

Is it really that insane though?

SmartSelect_20200122-142427_Chrome.jpg

Yes it really is.  There is an argument to be made for Revis's 2009 season being among the greatest CB years ever.  I don't think Terrell Davis is the best running back I ever saw in spite of his 1998 season where he had over 2,000 yards, 5 per and 3 playoff games with 468 yards and 5.59 per.  That makes him a HOF player not the greatest ever.

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

See.  I told you guys.

The fact that gaining 3 yards and going 3 and out was only their 3rd worst drive in the first half had nothing to do with them not having the ball?  We have had this argument multiple times and there are no winners (except the Steelers) but it is irrelevant here.  The rush D was the problem and none of that was on Revis who had 8 tackles and a pass defensed.  I can't remember, but I think Revis was on Mike Wallace who was their best WR then and had 1 catch for 6.  None of the Steelers WR had much of a day - Hines Ward 2/14, Antonio Brown 1/14, Emmanuel Sanders 1/20. 

We barely had the ball.  They drove it down our throats all first half.  After that first drive we held the ball for 6 minutes giving the D a rest.  Did it matter? Nope.

I didn't blame Revis, it was the rush D that put us in the big hole.  Revis dominated Wallace but it was a rookie named Antonio Brown that caught the game clinching first down.

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

See.  I told you guys.

We barely had the ball.  They drove it down our throats all first half.  After that first drive we held the ball for 6 minutes giving the D a rest.  Did it matter? Nope.

I didn't blame Revis, it was the rush D that put us in the big hole.  Revis dominated Wallace but it was a rookie named Antonio Brown that caught the game clinching first down.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Six minutes?  I think you are adding their 1st two drives together. 

9 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Six minutes?  I think you are adding their 1st two drives together. 

I believe it was 9 minutes.  Our O took over on the 30 and had a 14 yard drive for a punt.  On the next Pitt drive we intercepted the ball on our 35.  Our O proceeded to drive the ball to our 33 in 3 plays and punted a shank to the Pittsburgh 38.  We held them to a field goal.  We got the ball after the kickoff and proceeded to go 3 and out.  

The D wasn't great but the O didn't give them a blow and the special teams lost field position.  

It was a spectacular example of losing a game on both sides of the ball. 

14 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

And all completed in less than a full half of football!

IIRC, @nyjunc attended that game.  Even if I disagree with him, I have to cut him some slack for living through it.

I was, that stadium was scared we'd get the ball back after we cut it to 24-19.  Unfortunately we never got that chance.

I really thought we were finally going to the SB, they came out so flat to start that game.  I hope we get to experience another one soon and actually win one.

#1 - It's happened, where teams win games when the defense surrenders far more than a net 15 points (17 minus the 2 they scored on the safety). I've heard they sometimes even win games when the D gives up 20-30 points. To still debate this, so soon after KC's offense turned a 24-0 deficit (7 of it on special teams) into a 20-point playoff victory, is the height of silliness. 

#2 - @#27TheDominator's point is hardly refutable: it is impossible to give up "17 straight points" without the offense repeatedly scoring zero. As far as the "4 min is enough to regroup" uh...the D got what should have been a momentum-shifting interception on the ensuing Steelers drive. In 2 minutes, the offense went backwards followed by Weatherford shanking his punt. 

#3 - The D looked like crap stopping Mendenhall early in the game, but by the end they'd held Pittsburgh's offense to 6 fewer points than they averaged (Steelers' average on offense was net 21ppg vs net 15 in the afccg). Their #1 defense surrendered an averaged a net 14 ppg; our offense scored a net 10 points (17 for, and gave back 7). Neither side played great, but a defense that gives up a net 15 points total is doing its job a hell of a lot more than an offense that scores a net 10 points. You'd think we lost that game 38-35 or something. 

#4 - Just by basic arithmetic, in the end we lost by 5 and the Jets offense surrendered 7 on Sanchez's fumble-6.  

#5 - None of the above has to do with Revis trash talking from his couch during a playoff game:

He's not better than Sherman now and wasn't better at Sherman's age either.
He was a great player once, but after the embarrassing way his age 31+ career recently went (e.g. 109.8 passer rating against him in 2016) he should be quiet here.
He got deservedly cut in 2017 (even with $6MM guaranteed money still coming) so he should be taking shots at zero other 31 year-old corners.
Even if he retired on top, which he certainly didn't, the classy thing would be to keep his mouth shut anyway unless he's trash talking a video game opponent.
  • Post of the Week 1

20 hours ago, Biggs said:

Can’t remember where I read or heard it many years ago, but it was a respected venue: Revis’ 2009 season was by any measure the most dominant performance by a CB ever, the best single season ever. That alone is worthy of at least some hyperbole.  

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, JetsLife said:

Can’t remember where I read or heard it many years ago, but it was a respected venue: Revis’ 2009 season was by any measure the most dominant performance by a CB ever, the best single season ever. That alone is worthy of at least some hyperbole.  

You're right. Which is why Revis basically folding later on in his career made no sense. The legacy corners all carved out niches and we're able to play at a relatively high level into their 30's. Ronde, Charles and Rod Woodson were all starting productive players in their mid 30's. Looking back at Revis you just wonder what the hell happened. He was so good and just flipped a switch and said nah.

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

You're right. Which is why Revis basically folding later on in his career made no sense. The legacy corners all carved out niches and we're able to play at a relatively high level into their 30's. Ronde, Charles and Rod Woodson were all starting productive players in their mid 30's. Looking back at Revis you just wonder what the hell happened. He was so good and just flipped a switch and said nah.

Bowles deserves a lot of the blame for Revis essentially quiting