Bill Callahan to coach Browns OLine

Maxman

4 hours ago, jetsons said:

I don't see Pollack as the problem... everywhere he's been he's been successful... I see an unfortunate amount of injuries & a mishmash oline as the issue.... and of course the ;lack of drafting oline prospects for the past 5 yrs.

I agree with this.  It's not easy to defend Pollack after the Jets OLine performance in 2019, but it was a unit lacking talent even BEFORE the injuries.  Once they injuries started to happen it became a mess.  The OLine did improve towards the end of the year, maybe due simply to some experience and reps with the same guys finally starting to take place.

I wouldn't be quick to move on from Pollack.

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I agree with this.  It's not easy to defend Pollack after the Jets OLine performance in 2019, but it was a unit lacking talent even BEFORE the injuries.  Once they injuries started to happen it became a mess.  The OLine did improve towards the end of the year, maybe due simply to some experience and reps with the same guys finally starting to take place.

I wouldn't be quick to move on from Pollack.

Actually, the improvement of the OL was in direct relation to the injuries, not in spite of them, considering the entirety of the interior OL had backups superior to their starters, who only made it onto the field when forced because of those injuries.  The games missed by Beachum were the only ones to have any negative significance.

While it's impossible for us to really know, my thoughts on Pollack would come down to what his influence on that starting unit were, and whether Gase was the only one mind-numbingly stupid enough to have absolutely no grasp on his own players' talent, or if Pollack was also in full support of what was proven to unquestionably be a series of awful coaching decisions.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

RIP Bill’s career. I don’t know how the Browns got a coaching staff to agree to coach with Baker at QB

The public still cries out for more of Mayfield.  Just a couple of weeks ago I saw this commercial either on TV or NFL GamePass, not sure which-clearly they figure he still has a huge following. 

7 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

This was the hire that Gase needed to make.  Or something like it.

Gase needs to swallow his ego and admit he has no idea when it comes to running the football.  He needed a run game coordinator.  Instead he's not evolving and he'll be on the couch a year from now (hopefully.)

So your hoping for and EXPECTING a bad season in 2020? You must be a blast at parties. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, kelticwizard said:

The public still cries out for more of Mayfield.  Just a couple of weeks ago I saw this commercial either on TV or NFL GamePass, not sure which-clearly they figure he still has a huge following. 

I’m hoping the only reason we are still seeing these dumb commercials is Progressive spent a ton of money producing the commercials 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

This was the hire that Gase needed to make.  Or something like it.

Gase needs to swallow his ego and admit he has no idea when it comes to running the football.  He needed a run game coordinator.  Instead he's not evolving and he'll be on the couch a year from now (hopefully.)

Gase isn’t hiring anyone who might replace him.  He has enough to deal with knowing the DC is more qualified than him

12 hours ago, jetsons said:

I don't see Pollack as the problem... everywhere he's been he's been successful... I see an unfortunate amount of injuries & a mishmash oline as the issue.... and of course the ;lack of drafting oline prospects for the past 5 yrs.

Just imagine what it was like trying to install this new offense with 11 changes on the Oline & 3 QBs in the 1st 4 games. The Patriots had zero injuries on their Oline & it performed poorly in the 2nd half of the season. 

Olines need continuity with each other, players talk about it all of the time, about how instinctively in Sync they were. You had revolving QBs, revolving Center, Tackles, Guards. We just need Pollack to have 5 healthy guys next year so they can put an offense in. 

That & Sam needs to start taking free run & slides for 1st downs. Nothing more devastating to a defense than having everything bottled up & the QB strolls for 7/8 yards slides & gets 3 more plays. He forced a lot of tight throws with virtually no one in front of him. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Gase isn’t hiring anyone who might replace him.  He has enough to deal with knowing the DC is more qualified than him

Yeah, because in the lets think of another dumb reason why Gase does or doesnt do something world G Williams isnt a threat but Callahan is?

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

That's a legit hire. It looks like Stef will be bringing that zone rushing game to Cleveland. 

Browns seemingly making good decisions, just not sure how long before it translates to wins, will they be Seattle/SF or Jax/Det? - offseason darlings for a few years and it's make or break time... 

Just now, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Browns seemingly making good decisions, just not sure how long before it translates to wins, will they be Seattle/SF or Jax/Det? - offseason darlings for a few years and it's make or break time... 

Yes. They canned the GM, who is making them? Did they secretly hire Urban Meyer??

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

I’m hoping the only reason we are still seeing these dumb commercials is Progressive spent a ton of money producing the commercials 

My wife works for Progressive and when she went up to Cleveland this past summer they previewed all of the commercials to the employees ( this was before the season and found out he sucked). 

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

This roster is more than 1 year away.  When it's finally ready, the best thing for this team is for Gase to be gone.

49ers should have fired Shanahan- 2nd pick in the draft last year. This year? Super Bowl. 

1 minute ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Wade Phillips will show up anywhere if you offer him free BBQ, so....

LOL is that a bad thing though? I would too. ?

I love the Carolina Style thing they do down here. It's a mustard and vinegar base I think. All barbeque is good, but I wouldn't go out of my way for the dry rub. (that doesn't sound right, does it?)

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I love the Carolina Style thing they do down here. It's a mustard and vinegar base I think. All barbeque is good, but I wouldn't go out of my way for the dry rub. (that doesn't sound right, does it?)

Dont really like Carolina style BBQ. It's ok, But I'm all about Texas/KC/St. Louis.  The hotter the better. 

10 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

I remember when John Dorsey was a genius who would set the Browns right, and hiring Freddie Kitchens was GENIUS because....continuity...and...words. .......lol

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Love vinegar 

• Upvote 1