Jeremiah Releases Mock 1.0, has Jets Getting Defensive

JetNation

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

This. It's January. Combine is in a month. Free agency weeks after that. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001011490/article/daniel-jeremiah-mock-draft-10-kyler-murray-lands-with-patriots

He had #1 pick Kyler Murray going way down at #32 to the Pats. Rashan Gary going #2; ended up going 12th. Josh Jacobs he mocked #5 overall; was taken 24th. Jawaan Taylor at #10; went 35th. Cody Ford #11; went 38th. He did nail the #8 pick, and mocked Bush to Pittsburgh 10 slots later, but that's it.

So a year ago his mock draft 1.0 in Jan 2019 he kinda went 2 for 32 and really went 1 for 32. January 2018 before that, he got #2 and #17 totally correct, and #23 mocked the right player to the wrong team. So kinda 3 for 32 and kinda 2 for 32.  

Point isn't that he doesn't know what he's talking about so much as the more obvious point: it's early yet. Expect about 30 of these 32 mocked picks will be wrong. 

how did his top 10 do regardless of team?

Also, I would love to have Juedy at 11 and pick up OTs in Rds 2 and 3.  Flowers showed that if a big man cant cover the ground as an OT in the NFL they may be able to slide into a more tight space as an OG and do well.

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

This. It's January. Combine is in a month. Free agency weeks after that. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001011490/article/daniel-jeremiah-mock-draft-10-kyler-murray-lands-with-patriots

He had #1 pick Kyler Murray going way down at #32 to the Pats. Rashan Gary going #2; ended up going 12th. Josh Jacobs he mocked #5 overall; was taken 24th. Jawaan Taylor at #10; went 35th. Cody Ford #11; went 38th. He did nail the #8 pick, and mocked Bush to Pittsburgh 10 slots later, but that's it.

So a year ago his mock draft 1.0 in Jan 2019 he kinda went 2 for 32 and really went 1 for 32. January 2018 before that, he got #2 and #17 totally correct, and #23 mocked the right player to the wrong team. So kinda 3 for 32 and kinda 2 for 32.  

Point isn't that he doesn't know what he's talking about so much as the more obvious point: it's early yet. Expect about 30 of these 32 mocked picks will be wrong. 

Sperm Edwards is amazing. That is all

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

We should be drafting Olinemen and offensive weapons, so it doesnt matter anyway. 

It matters because even though I agree we should be focused on offense, I would hope that if we do take an edge rusher, he’s good.  Unlike the time we shouldn’t have taken a DT but did anyway and he wasn’t.

• Upvote 2

Um ..yeah..NAH -

This is actually pretty ridiculous. I've heard good things about Jeremiah over the years, but this just looks like clickbait without doing any actual work.

Maybe it's just too early, and of course there's going to be trades.. but this is just straight up crap. That's my very non humble opinion.

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

Wouldn't surprise me at all if the Jets go Defense.

12 of the last 14 first round picks have been Defense. The other two were QB's.

Only two, Adams and QW, remain today.

Will 13 of 15 really surprise you?

We're the Jets, after all.

We've gone most of two decades without picking a WR or a RB or an O-Lineman in the first.  

12 out of 14 have already surprised us. We’ve been begging for offense for the last 5-6 years now. Wither offense or pure edge rusher. Not these bulky DTs. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, FlagmanL11 said:

these draft guessers are always wrong.  The big question is who is the best player available that will slip to 11?  That is who the Jets will pick regardless of need....

I think you missed the news that the Jets fired Maccagnan.  

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I also think that there is a possibility that Lions take Tua and Miami then goes with Herbert. I would bet with all the OL problems that Giants have had they draft A Thomas.

I think it will be more like this:

1. CIN - Burrow
  2. WAS - Young
  3. DET - Tua
  4. NYG - A Thomas
  5. MIA - Herbert
  6. LAC - Wirfs
  7. CAR - Brown
  8. ARZ - Wills
  9. JAX - Okudah
  10. CLE - Jackson/ Becton
  11. NYJ - Lamb/ Jeudy

Gettelman knows his job is on the line and I see him taking an immediate 'impact' player and not on OL who might take a year or two to develop, otherwise he's history.

Good on the Jets as another OL slips down the draft.

4 hours ago, slats said:

At what point in the year should they give up? At 1-7, should they've just packed it in right there? Or after they won a couple to get off the one-win schneid? "Okay guys, you've demonstrated that you can win a couple, but any more wins and you're gonna really start to effect our draft position next year!" 

I get being unhappy with that last game of the season win that moves them from the #1 pick to #3 or something like that, but this past season was nothing like that. It was a nice second half of the year that had our young QB playing well. And frankly, our young QB playing well is a lot more important, long and short term, than a spot or two in the draft, IMHO. 

I'm just tired of this annual whine that the Jets failed to lose enough the previous year. That you're either trying to make the playoffs or you're trying to get the highest pick in the draft that you can. There's middle ground. Hate Gase all you want, but the guy is the head coach and he needs to get the team to buy into his program. That's his job. He does that by demonstrating that his way can win games. 

The way to go is to give the HC/GM a long term contract - minimum six years - so that they can build a team without having to worry about a short term win-loss record.

Don't try to lose games half way through the season, but play and evaluate borderline players when the season is over. I'm not saying the Jets should give up half way through the season but when the last two or three games are *meaningless* it's stupid to play to win so that the HC can improve his winning percentage for his next HC'ing job.

Ownership should give these guys the security they need  to build a team over two or three years w/o having to worry about planes flying overhead and the NY media calling for their heads.

20 minutes ago, derp said:

Legit one of my favorite posters on any board I’ve been a part of. If not my favorite.

@Sperm Edwards Yes I’m talking about you.

@Maxman ghostwrites a little more than half of them — the nice ones.

The other half - the ones obnoxiously correcting people even when they’re kinda right - those are the real me, and the repeated one-upmanship attempts are the collective manifestation of decades of personal insecurity because I hit puberty late. So I agreed to letting the bossman do this to soften up my image, so I don’t seem like a total monster. I even offered to step down and change my juvenile username, which he turned down, prince that he is. He only requested I let him keep up the charade, while I’m supposed to work on getting in touch with my feminine side, and clean up my act just good/long enough for him to get press passes.

Don’t tell anyone, okay?

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Beerfish said:

If this team is a 7 win team or a 4 win team this past year who the hell cares.

STH care.  

I care.

The players care

Anyone trying to develop the younger players care

Fans who think that picking 6th or 7th instead of 11th is worth more than it does care when those who understand the game don't

11 hours ago, Beerfish said:

The Jets NEVER go 1-15 other than the one kotie year.  We then had the #1 pick and traded down.

The jets over the last 15 or more years have always won a meaningless game or so at the end of the year to just screw up the draft.

We desperately need to upgrade the oline, as in desperately.  There are 3 or 4 prime olineman out there early so of course they are projecting us to go defense because all of the olineman are gone.

If this team is a 7 win team or a 4 win team this past year who the hell cares.

Of the 4 OL, Beckton would be left with Thomas, Willis and Wirfs going ahead as the top 3. So do we grab him at 11. Many feel that would be a reach. So  If you had a choice of Jeudy or Beckton what do you do. The OL depth after those 5 falls significantly while the WR depth in the draft is through the roof. Beckton is a beast but needs to improve technique. I’d roll the dice with him and grab a WR in round 2. Or we could trade back, get a extra pick and take the Center from Wisconsin.  

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, TeddEY said:

It matters because even though I agree we should be focused on offense, I would hope that if we do take an edge rusher, he’s good.  Unlike the time we shouldn’t have taken a DT but did anyway and he wasn’t.

Facts. 

Ill have to watch more game tape. Since I didn't want the Jets to draft defense in the 1st round I haven't payed any attention to these top rated rushers.

3 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

Of the 4 OL, Beckton would be left with Thomas, Willis and Wirfs going ahead as the top 3. So do we grab him at 11. Many feel that would be a reach. So  If you had a choice of Jeudy or Beckton what do you do. The OL depth after those 5 falls significantly while the WR depth in the draft is through the roof. Beckton is a beast but needs to improve technique. I’d roll the dice with him and grab a WR in round 2. Or we could trade back, get a extra pick and take the Center from Wisconsin.  

Best case scenario is 1 of the teams right behind us at 12, 13, 14, 15 covet a QB that drops. Since all of them are threats for a QB, the Jets at 11 right outside the top 10 are the perfect target. 

If we can get another #2 + come out of the 1st round with a LT that would be a dream scenario for all of us. This draft is loaded with WRs, and I could definitely live with a Beckton + Jonathon Taylor + Tyler Biadesz top 3. Brandon Aiyuk WR + Lavert Hill CB in the 3rd.

Jets have already signed Yannick Ngokeou & Clint Boling (older/a bit less expensive + knows Pollack blocking schemes) & Geronimo Allison. 

Edge- Guard- WR in free agency. They don't break the bank with Boling & Allison. 

Jets start the season with Beckton + Lewis + Harrison/working in Biadesz + Boling + Edoga. WR/TEs -Allison- Crowder- Aiyuk- Smith- Barrios- Herndon- Griffin- Wesco. RBs- Bell-Taylor.

I know that's not a dynamic group on offense but this is the start to transform the Oline & skill players. Plus we still would have our 4th rounder. 

When you start doing this exercise you realize reshaping this team in one year is very difficult. But, there are a lot of teams with some holes in this league. Good teams with holes. Two years for JD to complete this team. He might even be able by only signing Ngokeou, Boling & Allison to somehow fit Robbie back in with a creative contract taking advantage of Tru & Bells contracts being finished in 2021. Depends on how other teams value RA. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Big_Slick said:

Don't try to lose games half way through the season, but play and evaluate borderline players when the season is over. I'm not saying the Jets should give up half way through the season but when the last two or three games are *meaningless* it's stupid to play to win so that the HC can improve his winning percentage for his next HC'ing job.

How do you play if you're not playing to win? If you're evaluating borderline players and they're not playing to win, you're probably going to evaluate that they're not very good. "Okay Son, I just wanna see what you've got, but not so much that we accidentally win today, know what I mean?" 

And who was left this year to evaluate? The Jets were already playing guys who were, at best, borderline. The whole season was an evaluation of borderline guys because of all the injuries. Turned out a couple of them could play. So that was nice. 

But who are you pulling from the lineup? Not Sam, he needs the work. But do you ask Sam Darnold to go out there and, "try to play well and all but keep us in the loss column, if you can." If you pull Bell, the Jets probably do even better, so that's out. You can't sit Jamal Adams without a social media BLEVE. 

This is the first season under a new head coach, trying to establish his program with the players. The owner providing cover doesn't do that, winning does. Gase had a horrific start with Sam's mono and all the other injuries. You gotta let the guy do everything he can to bounce back from that. 

I get that the Jets historically suck, and that the offseason is often the best part of the season, but the actual idea is that "winning the offseason" is supposed to lead to wins during the regular season. So many jaded Jet fans have it flipped where they need to tank the regular season to win the draft. It's craziness. The team isn't looking for a QB right now. That would be a different situation. They're probably looking at an OT in the first round and, as of today, there's supposed to be three or four worthy of the #11 spot. I'm happy the team managed to avoid double-digit losses for a fourth straight year, and they're still in position to draft a very good football player high. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, slats said:

How do you play if you're not playing to win? If you're evaluating borderline players and they're not playing to win, you're probably going to evaluate that they're not very good. "Okay Son, I just wanna see what you've got, but not so much that we accidentally win today, know what I mean?" 

And who was left this year to evaluate? The Jets were already playing guys who were, at best, borderline. The whole season was an evaluation of borderline guys because of all the injuries. Turned out a couple of them could play. So that was nice. 

But who are you pulling from the lineup? Not Sam, he needs the work. But do you ask Sam Darnold to go out there and, "try to play well and all but keep us in the loss column, if you can." If you pull Bell, the Jets probably do even better, so that's out. You can't sit Jamal Adams without a social media BLEVE. 

This is the first season under a new head coach, trying to establish his program with the players. The owner providing cover doesn't do that, winning does. Gase had a horrific start with Sam's mono and all the other injuries. You gotta let the guy do everything he can to bounce back from that. 

I get that the Jets historically suck, and that the offseason is often the best part of the season, but the actual idea is that "winning the offseason" is supposed to lead to wins during the regular season. So many jaded Jet fans have it flipped where they need to tank the regular season to win the draft. It's craziness. The team isn't looking for a QB right now. That would be a different situation. They're probably looking at an OT in the first round and, as of today, there's supposed to be three or four worthy of the #11 spot. I'm happy the team managed to avoid double-digit losses for a fourth straight year, and they're still in position to draft a very good football player high. 

The game to lose was the 2018 Buffao game. With these DTs, Mosely + Nick Bosa? That would have been sweet. I don't usually cheer for losses but that game I was. Sam had taken us into winning range, we all knew Bowles was a dead man walking, Eli McGuire sucked & literally tripped into the endzone for a win that meant NOTHING but losing Nick Bosa. It sucked! Bosa put Niners pass rush over the top. QW? Not so much (Not that I'm giving up on him, I still think QW can be a terror if he hits the weight room & grows into his Fat Huey body). 

1 hour ago, slats said:

But who are you pulling from the lineup? Not Sam, he needs the work. But do you ask Sam Darnold to go out there and, "try to play well and all but keep us in the loss column, if you can."

rofl

8 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

Here is my fear which I said in another thread.  Now it is a top 4 list of olineman, before it was 2 then 3, the list is growing.  Beware having a list of legit players growing due to our need.  We see it often with QBs and other than them I think oline is the next position that gets inflated when there is competing need from teams.

19 hours ago, TheClashFan said:

NO!

Many of these draft lists try to figure the best "value" pick for the team. Edge and CB are glaring needs for the team, but the first pick must be offense, ideally OT. The entire OL is a huge need.  Build around the QB, for God's sake!

Hey, if there is a run on OT early, then TRADE DOWN to a team looking to scoop up some top 5-6 player who has slipped. Then look at OT or WR, since there will still probably be good players available in the teens.

It's not so easy to trade down though.  If theres not a high value top player available who is trading up to the top 15 for a OLB? or a WR? people trade up for Tackles (which we'd just take) or a QB (which will probably be all gone by 11).  So while yes ideally if the top tackles are off the board and theres no WR we love there its so easy to say 'hey trade down accumulate picks then draft better later' . The problem is that unless one of the QB's is there in our laps and someone wants to move up, the chances of trading down are pretty slim currently. 

24 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Here is my fear which I said in another thread.  Now it is a top 4 list of olineman, before it was 2 then 3, the list is growing.  Beware having a list of legit players growing due to our need.  We see it often with QBs and other than them I think oline is the next position that gets inflated when there is competing need from teams.

I don’t think there’s much a fall off taking Beckton. If we can trade Jamal for a #1, we can then grab Jeudy or Lamb then go for Beckton or Blaise. Key is to get rid of Adams for that extra 1. 

2 hours ago, slats said:

I'm sympathetic to that rationale and there were times I'd wished we lost games at the end, when the team was all but in official tank mode (and they may as well have been from the first game). But once we presumably have drafted our young FQB, and he's in his formative first years in the league, there are no quasi-tank final games unless maybe he's injured & for that reason is kept out of the lineup outright. 

I can cite many things over the last 2 seasons I wished this team had done better - from players they selected to the HC/GM they retained to the questionable HC they hired. Letting the team try to win while its young QB is accruing much-needed experience is not one of them, even if we'd have been better off drafting Bosa over QW. 

I certainly don't subscribe to the silly idea I've heard multiple times over the years, that winning the last game is something to build upon for the following season. If they actually lose and we get a better pick, fine. But the goal right now is to turn Darnold into the best QB he can be, and use every game as more live experience, so he's not still taking his lumps in an upcoming season when we should otherwise be actual contenders. 

Only decent rationale for closing 2018-2019 by not putting our best foot forward? Maybe be to get certain guys off the field because we don't want serious injuries, to key players with guaranteed contracts, sustained in a meaningless game. Playoff teams with their slot locked in do that every year. Then the chances of winning go down as a side effect, but I wouldn't pull them purely so we have a lesser chance of winning.

Now, tanking the last game to lock us into the #1-3 pick for a FQB when we don't have one? Necessary evil on that one. But while Darnold has some questions to answer on the field, that's not the situation we were in to close out this year or last.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, slats said:

the reason so many here think that losing in the regular season is the only way to win the offseason is b/c we haven't had a gm who could draft a decent player in the first round outside the top 10 since tanny took revis.

• Upvote 1