My thoughts on Robby Anderson

5 hours ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Keep up the good work my man. I think this is your best video yet.

I wouldn't want to pay Robby anything more than 12 a year. Didn't consider using the transition tag. Might be a good move for the jets considering the other available free agents. If Jets let him walk they have to draft 2 wrs this year

Thank you good sir! The transition tag is a interesting option for sure!

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Great vid man. Its gonna be hard to beat your Pats conspiracy vid, but this is one of your best yet. 

I've made my thoughts on Robbie known and I haven't wavered all that much from my stance of wanting to retain him. The thing that is most important other than the on field production piece is a point you made well here. I think it is time the Jets start to commit to their players who have done well by the org. Guys like RA, Jenkins, Adams, Maye etc are really nice pieces to a team on the upswing. Trying to change the culture to one of loyalty to an org where people want to come and stay is not easy. It can be beneficial to make that point to the young guys or even vets like Burgess, that the team rewards hard work and production. 

look at Anthony Barr last year as an example. He had more money on the table from the Jets but wanted to stay on the team he was on. That is what the Jets should be shooting for. To be a place where players want to come and stay. It also happened with Kyle Rudolph. They had no money left and still found a way to get it done. None of this would matter if the on field production wasn't there of course, but RA has proven to me that he is a player worthy of a financial commitment. 

The arrests are distant past at this point and do not concern me at all. I mean who hasn't told a cop to suck a lemon in their life?  :) 

Thanks GreenBean! ? Haha I think we need to build a strong culture and a lot of that comes from retaining our own guys!

• Upvote 2

Keeping Robby should be a priority.  

Yes, he’s probably needs to be your 2nd threat or even 3rd but he would become invaluable if we can find a true #1 type that will require double coverage over the middle.  We need speed...

I would def. try and keep the guaranteed money to under 3 years though - once he loses even a bit on his quick twitch he becomes basically useless.  My guess is he has 3 more years at or close to this level and he’s done..

• Upvote 4

good video.  nice explanation of the options the jets have.  the transition tag is more interesting because it give the jets options.  yep it'll cost a bit but at the same time it might provide them with a reason to give robbie the money or let him eventually walk for a compensatory pick.  the only down side is it might limit them from signing a top wr in free agency.  this means having to get a player in the draft.

• Upvote 2

I get the rewarding guysthat work hard and creating a culture where players stay but I feel paying Anderson is more rewarding mediocrity than hard work. We all know Robby can run down field and track the ball but really, what else is there? He is too light to out muscle  DBs, he is near useless running mid crosses/drags, and he isn't a threat in the redzone. We have gone to others for playa like that, I understand but it was more because Bowles tried to use him like that and he was terrible. 

If we pay big money, we should get a complete guy, not a complimentary  one.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

45 minutes ago, rangerous said:

good video.  nice explanation of the options the jets have.  the transition tag is more interesting because it give the jets options.  yep it'll cost a bit but at the same time it might provide them with a reason to give robbie the money or let him eventually walk for a compensatory pick.  the only down side is it might limit them from signing a top wr in free agency.  this means having to get a player in the draft.

I think the draft is stocked full of exactly what we need on offense this year. WRs' and offensive linemen. That gives us a great opportunity to avoid paying for the high priced FA's at those positions. Especially WR.  So with that said, it's also a prime opportunity to have the cash to retain one of our own who is a top 3 FA at his position this year.

If done right, this can be a best case scenario where we get to reward a homegrown guy who has worked his way up from UDFA, begin to establish the culture we were discussing, avoid the high priced FA WR group trying to cash in, and flood the team with a young nucleus of offensive talent in a draft that just so happens to be very deep in the exact positions we need. 

This is a really golden opportunity to nail down a few very strong positives for the org and team as a whole. 

The only issue with it is whether Adam Gase actually likes and wants RA. I could totally see him wanting to move on because he's a butt hole. 

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Keep up the good work my man. I think this is your best video yet.

I wouldn't want to pay Robby anything more than 12 a year. Didn't consider using the transition tag. Might be a good move for the jets considering the other available free agents. If Jets let him walk they have to draft 2 wrs this year

The transition tag isn't an option for Robby. For WRs, that number is currently projected to be $15.9M. The Jets aren't opening negotiations from there with him. If they want to let him test the market before signing him, the best they can do is ask him to give them a last chance before he signs anywhere else. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

I think the draft is stocked full of exactly what we need on offense this year. WRs' and offensive linemen. That gives us a great opportunity to avoid paying for the high priced FA's at those positions. Especially WR.  So with that said, it's also a prime opportunity to have the cash to retain one of our own who is a top 3 FA at his position this year.

If done right, this can be a best case scenario where we get to reward a homegrown guy who has worked his way up from UDFA, begin to establish the culture we were discussing, avoid the high priced FA WR group trying to cash in, and flood the team with a young nucleus of offensive talent in a draft that just so happens to be very deep in the exact positions we need. 

This is a really golden opportunity to nail down a few very strong positives for the org and team as a whole. 

The only issue with it is whether Adam Gase actually likes and wants RA. I could totally see him wanting to move on because he's a butt hole. 

I think as #2 with Crowder in the slot, he's definitely better than Agholor or Allison but...I think this kid Robinson from the Chiefs might be better! Robinson has a little more strength & better run after the catch IN TRAFFIC. Robbie is pretty meek on crossers. Interesting topic- If Robinson can be had for 8/9 million, compared to Robbie at 12/13?

3/4 Million savings is a vet player that can help a team. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, Jetster said:

I think as #2 with Crowder in the slot, he's definitely better than Agholor or Allison but...I think this kid Robinson from the Chiefs might be better! Robinson has a little more strength & better run after the catch IN TRAFFIC. Robbie is pretty meek on crossers. Interesting topic- If Robinson can be had for 8/9 million, compared to Robbie at 12/13?

3/4 Million savings is a vet player that can help a team. 

I don't know really. He has 75 catches in his whole 3 year career. 32 this season. He is generally dealing with the 3rd DB on the field one on one and rarely battles safety help. He has the benefit of having incredible firepower around him and I think he benefits greatly from that. I would be lying if I said I've ever really focused on him so a lot of what I'm saying is just information and from the limited play I've seen, but he doesn't seem to be a guy worthy of counting on to replace RA. 

He has the potential to be one of those guys who is just waiting to be given more of an opportunity, but it could also be that he is doing exactly what he can do which is be a complimentary piece without the lighting fast speed of RA.  I think I'd rather defer the savings and keep the guy we already know and who has rapport with Sammy boy. 

What do you think? 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, JiF said:

I'm all in on taking 2 WR's in this draft but I think I'm with  you here.  We cant go into the season with Crowder and 2 rookies.  Sam needs some professional WR's around him to operate with and trusting that you hit on 2 rookies who are ready to go week 1 would be senseless.  

The reality is, Robby is one of the best deep threats in the game.  If the Jets could compliment that with another outside threat who can routinely get open on the short to intermediate routes coupled with Anderson game breaking ability, it should open up the field for Crowder, Bell and TE's to work the middle of field and hopefully get Sam some easier looks. 

My ideal scenario would include bringing Anderson back and taking a Jeudy/Lamb/Higgins at #11, taking OL with the next 3 picks and then looking at another WR ie; Pittman, Claypool types that are just big redzone targets that they dont need to become a full time starter immediately.  

I would love for the draft to go that way. Sign a passrusher, OG/C and OT in FA, resign Anderson then draft the best WR with the 1st then go all in on OL on day two. Claypool is definitely my top target  if he last till the 4th round. He’s basically a WR/TE that played for ND :) and is a big redzone/FD target. 

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

I don't know really. He has 75 catches in his whole 3 year career. 32 this season. He is generally dealing with the 3rd DB on the field one on one and rarely battles safety help. He has the benefit of having incredible firepower around him and I think he benefits greatly from that. I would be lying if I said I've ever really focused on him so a lot of what I'm saying is just information and from the limited play I've seen, but he doesn't seem to be a guy worthy of counting on to replace RA. 

He has the potential to be one of those guys who is just waiting to be given more of an opportunity, but it could also be that he is doing exactly what he can do which is be a complimentary piece without the lighting fast speed of RA.  I think I'd rather defer the savings and keep the guy we already know and who has rapport with Sammy boy. 

What do you think? 

Draft Jeudy at 11 keep RA sounds like a good plan. 

11 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

Do we resign him?

- Career earnings so far $4m

- never broke 1000 yards

- Tyrell Williams got 4 years $44m last year

- Robby has a thing for peanuts on ladies faces or at least that's what I got from the police report.

Great video, Ryan!  Lots of good stuff in there.  I had forgotten about the Matt Rhule connection.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Great vid man. Its gonna be hard to beat your Pats conspiracy vid, but this is one of your best yet. 

I've made my thoughts on Robbie known and I haven't wavered all that much from my stance of wanting to retain him. The thing that is most important other than the on field production piece is a point you made well here. I think it is time the Jets start to commit to their players who have done well by the org. Guys like RA, Jenkins, Adams, Maye etc are really nice pieces to a team on the upswing. Trying to change the culture to one of loyalty to an org where people want to come and stay is not easy. It can be beneficial to make that point to the young guys or even vets like Burgess, that the team rewards hard work and production. 

look at Anthony Barr last year as an example. He had more money on the table from the Jets but wanted to stay on the team he was on. That is what the Jets should be shooting for. To be a place where players want to come and stay. It also happened with Kyle Rudolph. They had no money left and still found a way to get it done. None of this would matter if the on field production wasn't there of course, but RA has proven to me that he is a player worthy of a financial commitment. 

The arrests are distant past at this point and do not concern me at all. I mean who hasn't told a cop to suck a lemon in their life?  :) 

It may just come down to his potential contract $ compared to if possible Amari Cooper. If both are around the same price you make the choice between them based on how well you think they will fit with this Offense going forward. Then as this is a deep draft with WRs if we get either Ribby or Amari then draft 1 more WR with either our 2nd or one of our two 3rd rounders. That way we can hopefully get a top OT with our 1st rounder and have 2 more picks before we even get to round 4 and between those 3 picks get more help at Oline, CB, and Edge rusher. We may be able to trade down between those picks to get prospects in all of these areas and be in good shape moving forward not even counting on what other FAs in all of these areas we may get.

• Upvote 1

The posts seem to say that Robbie could get a $13mm-$15mm contract, which would be a multi-year contract with at least 2 years guaranteed.

New contract values go up every year, and Franchise and Transition Tag values are based on contracts at least one year old. 

It is one thing to overpay a player for one year, another to be stuck multiple years. 

So the idea of Transition Tagging Robbiyfor a year and perhaps overpaying him for one year only, providing flexibility to move on in 2021, has some appeal to the Jets but is lousy for Robby.  I would rather the Jets do that and pay for it by cutting Avery and Winters.  

I do think a Transition Tag for Robby or Beachum could be in the cards.   Maybe you tell both of them to either agree to a reasonable contract or get the tag, and see who agrees first.  

• Post of the Week 1

9 hours ago, Dcat said:

Excellent vid.  Thanks!

What is that on the back of your chair?  Is that a hat?  Next time put it on!  :)

Haha yeah that's my pilot hat "welcome to Jets talk I'll be your pilot"

I'll wear it when I go to Jets events haha I used to wear it in my videos but I wanted the option to not look too goofy ?

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, slats said:

The transition tag isn't an option for Robby. For WRs, that number is currently projected to be $15.9M. The Jets aren't opening negotiations from there with him. If they want to let him test the market before signing him, the best they can do is ask him to give them a last chance before he signs anywhere else. 

If Robby signs a contract I guarantee he will get more than $16m guaranteed. I would absolutely tag him for a year if he's looking for +$30m guaranteed. The negotiation doesn't start at $16m per year because we wouldn't have to offer him more, another team would have to offer him more.

6 hours ago, UnknownJetFan said:

It may just come down to his potential contract $ compared to if possible Amari Cooper. If both are around the same price you make the choice between them based on how well you think they will fit with this Offense going forward. Then as this is a deep draft with WRs if we get either Ribby or Amari then draft 1 more WR with either our 2nd or one of our two 3rd rounders. That way we can hopefully get a top OT with our 1st rounder and have 2 more picks before we even get to round 4 and between those 3 picks get more help at Oline, CB, and Edge rusher. We may be able to trade down between those picks to get prospects in all of these areas and be in good shape moving forward not even counting on what other FAs in all of these areas we may get.

I like Amari but my gut says he is gunning for +$18m a year

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

I know that this is not a reason to keep a player or let him go but I really do not want to see or hear him ever again. Both events make one embarrassed to be of the same species he is. 

He was definitely a douche for a while but since Sam got there I've enjoyed his interviews. I still think he's a few fries short of a happy meal.

44 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

If Robby signs a contract I guarantee he will get more than $16m guaranteed. I would absolutely tag him for a year if he's looking for +$30m guaranteed. The negotiation doesn't start at $16m per year because we wouldn't have to offer him more, another team would have to offer him more.

Nope. 

If he signs that tender, you've just given Robby Anderson $15.9M guaranteed for the 2020 season. You can't do that and then expect to negotiate a deal for much -if any- less than that. This is why you rarely see the transition tag used. The value on it is too high for a guy you don't believe is a franchise player. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1